Start by marking “An Ocean Apart” as Want to Read:
An Ocean Apart

An Ocean Apart (Don't Read in the Closet Events)

3.26  ·  Rating details ·  137 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Dear Author,
These two men have been exclusive lovers for years. Over the past year, they have drifted apart and have been taking each other and their love for granted. It seems that all they do now is argue everyday and haven't been intimate in months. The blonde man begins to lean on his "friendship" with another man. The tattooed man recognizes this and decides to fight
Published May 23rd 2012 by M/M Romance Group @ Goodreads

To ask other readers questions about An Ocean Apart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Ocean Apart

Exina
Shane and Jaime is a couple for years now, but lately they have drifted apart. They work too much, are always exhausted and too stressed to keep the romance alive. Miscommunication and misunderstanding leads to a huge fight, and they almost lose each other.

Engaging story, insomuch that first you don’t even notice some serious problems. As for the characters and the plot, I have to agree with some reviews here, for example about Jaime is being naïve and/or stupid, and Shane is condemned to be th
Arthur
1 star

Note: I changed my rating back from 2 stars into original 1 star. I did the previous change because someone asked me to give some slack for a new author. Since now it has been a half year and the author is not new anymore, I decided to revert it back to the way I felt it in the first place.

Your bf had been allowing himself to be touched on his back and butt by his boss so 'he could learn restaurant business.' He started to work late recently, and when one day you dropped by his work place
qx
May 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
Oh, no. Oh, no, no, no.

I saw that a couple of friends really liked this story, so I decided to give it a try because I needed something short to read.

Jaime and Shane have been together for six years and their relationship has been rocky lately. Jaime's in a job he hates and works a lot. Shane works a lot too in a popular restaurant. They don't spend enough time together and they've grown apart.

Let's talk about Jaime. Jaime made me mad; point blank. He gave his boss, Jim too many liberties and I
mw138
May 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
This was quite an emotional read. I couldn't understand why Shane was made to look like the bad guy throughout most of this story and Jaime played victim all the time. The fact that Jaime could not see what his boss, Jim, was trying to do was very disconcerting and made him look extremely naive and downright stupid. (view spoiler) ...more
Dre
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked this story, but I was annoyed that Shane was the bad guy in this. (view spoiler) ...more
Jess
May 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Jamie really irritated me - can anyone be that blind? I would have liked a bit at the end when he apologised and explained his actions more. For me Shane was the real hero of the story and I think his reactions were completely normal and understandable. The big dramatic mis-understanding at the end was a bit rushed and didnt match the smooth flow of the rest of the story.

Even though it sounds like I am bitching lol I did like the story and I think this author has amazing potential to grow. I hop
Lucy
May 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Have to agree with other reviewers, why is Shane the bad guy here? Jaime is constantly talking about his boss, getting back rubs and ass rubs and then e scene when Shane walks in? Jaime needs to grovel some
Mandy*reads obsessively*

Sweet story , but I did have an issue with Shane being made out as the 'bad guy' here.
Yes, Jaime made up for it, sort of, but really he needed to man up and go to Shane himself and try and fix it, IMO he was just as culpable if not more than Shane was.
I also would have liked to see Jim get his comeuppance!
Heather C
I really liked this story! It went perfectly with the picture and prompt. I was really feeling bad for Shane...and hating Jamie. But everything worked out in the end.

Read it. It's FREE!!
Adriana
I read this because my friends rated high... I'm so sorry I didn't like it, stablished couples is something I love to read but this short made me angry.

(view spoiler)
Susan65
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I absoslutely loved it. I love established couples stories and then having them go through a little bout of trouble and overcoming it just makes it more real for me. Loved how Shane lost his way and forgot what was important only to realize almost too late that what was really important was Jaime.
Jaime was just too adorable, loved everything about him. Jim was a bad bad man.
Sammy Goode should seriously consider a career as a full time PAID author. I would buy her books.
jules0623
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Not going to read it, to see why look at:

this review

Lily
This was a hard one to rate. I liked it but couldn't believe how throughout the whole story it was Shane who was the bad guy. Really?? He may have worked long hours but Jamie's actions left a lot to be desired. (view spoiler) ...more
Wendy Ann
Oh, I could definitely feel the angst in this story about miscommunication and misunderstandings! Every emotion really popped while reading this one – the longing, fear, hurt, forgiveness and definitely love. I honestly felt pretty bad for Shane since he was made to appear as the bad guy. In reality, Jaime was either incredibly naïve or incredibly stupid to not see what the boss was up to and I would have felt so much better if that situation had been resolved (i.e, either let the guy have it or ...more
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, freebies
What we have here...is a failure to communicate. Shane and Jamie are both working so much, they haven't had time for one another. This leads to misconceptions, misunderstandings and jealousy. Thank goodness the friends help set things right again to give Shane and Jamie a chance to rekindle their relationship. I wanted to smack each of them at varoous times throughout this cute story. Nice job, Sammy!
Miriki
I love to read about 2nd chance and lovers united.

But Jaime was a jerk! Most of the story I wished Shane would move on, or at least Jamie would meet him half way, (view spoiler) but at that point I already hate Jaime too much. =__=
Victoria
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story. I completely sided with Shane. Thank you Sammy Goode, for donating your time and talent.
GlamLawyer
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
That story has so many plot holes. I will still give it 2 stars. I need to point out that the author managed to make me feel enough to keep reading. The writing is engaging. It's just that the plot doesn't make sense. (view spoiler) ...more
SueM

Hey Sammy. I finally have some time to read a few stories other than those I'm working on and have to say you did an amazing job!

Jamie is a wonderful character, obviously strong under pressure (as illustrated by his life-saving gig) and has a loving heart. Perhaps a little blind not to see through Jim, and obviously needs to work on his communication skills as he left explaining his dream until a little bit too late. But the wounded Shane won my heart. With his background of losing all
Jess Candela
May 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, read-in-2012
I really enjoyed this story, it felt long enough to me to be complete, something short stories often don't for me. I loved Jaime and Shane, and would love to see more of them! I agree with the others that it packed a punch and had a satisfying ending.

But their Big Misunderstanding made me want to shake them both. If Jaime had just gone home the next day, it would have been so much less unnecessary suffering for them both. In fact, it might have eliminated the unnecessary suffering entirely, just
Raevyn
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story because it had real life, hard truths and serious communication mix-ups. It wasn't all sweet and sunshine, the MCs had realizations they had to come to before they could see what was in front of them.

This isn't a falling in love story, it's a story about remembering why they fell in love in the first place. Why communication is so important.

I would love to see their story continue.
Jenny Wood
Sep 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
Why was Shane the bad guy in this??
Why was he made to grovel and feel like he's the bad guy when Jaime was the one who was doing wrong? And come on, you didn't think that everything you were doing was way over the line of someone NOT single? Would it have been the same way if the roles were reversed?
I hate that! It completely ruined this one for me.
Not a fan
Susan
Jun 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-read, z-2012
I love stories about established couples and I enjoyed this one. It was frustrating how clueless Jaime was to what Shane was going through and how his actions were making him feel. I thought Jaime could have taken a little more responsibility for what happened between the two men. A very sweet read.
Tamela
I think Jaime was a little too oblivious. When a person is hanging over you like an octopus and you have to tell him to keep his hands off your butt and he listens "sometimes" then there is more going on than a friendly boss.

I'm glad they got things worked out. Now if Shane can just get HIS dream job :)
Livia Frost
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
I liked this story a lot, and it really had me torn up at points. I have a soft-spot for stories about established couples that are going through difficult periods, so this was definitely a good story for me.
Lila Hunter
3.5 out of 5

A really nice story, but I wanted the blame spread between the MCs.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Heartstrings
  • Stay With Me
  • The Vampire and the Bear
  • Heart of Slate

Don't Read in the Closet Events (1 - 10 of 683 books)
  • Bobby's Christmas Gift
  • A Bugger to Pack
  • Christmas Gifts
  • Christmas in the Sandbox
  • Cocklebur's Christmas
  • The Conquerors (Zero-G wrestling)
  • Crying Wolf (Portals, #2.5)
  • D.N.A.: Double Helix