Start by marking “Break the Night” as Want to Read:
Break the Night

Break the Night

A silent scream, a bloodstained knife...

A century past, the faceless killer had strolled out of the London fog and into history, the most infamous murderer who ever lived. And only reporter J. R. Damien knew he had never died, could never die. It was impossible, and yet it was true--Saucy Jack was back, plying his trade in the back alleys of Venice, California.. . .

And Sau
Mass Market Paperback, Silhouette Shadows #9, 256 pages
Published May 1st 1993 by Silhouette Books

To ask other readers questions about Break the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Break the Night

Alp
Crista
Oct 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read this one just in time for Halloween!

This is Anne Stuart, so anything with her name on it is almost guaranteed to be brilliant. Break the Night, while not my favorite Anne Stuart novel, certainly was brilliant!

This is a story about a serial killer. He is killing prostitutes in the same manner that Jack the Ripper did so many years ago. Our heroine is brought into the madness because she is an artist who specializes in making masks. Each of the prostitutes who are found murdered are weari
Kayla Krantz
Love. Murder. Darkness.

This book has suspense around every corner.

When a mask maker’s masks are used in a bizarre killing spree, she goes on a quest to try and gather up her masks, stopping the killer before the murders become too many. What she learns, however, is a deep dark secret that puts her right in the line of fire.

The overlapping themes in this book made it unique. While it is a murder mystery, it is also a story of second chances and growth.

The narration was perfect.

This book was giv
Aneca
Feb 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Anne Stuart is one of my favourite authors and last week I read 2 of her series books.

BREAK THE NIGHT I started it because Rosario mentioned it on her blog and coincidentally I had just received it from a friend.

I checked Anne Stuart's site and just couldn't resist picking it up:

Break the Night (1993) was Anne’s take on Jack the Ripper for the beginning of the short-lived Silhouette Shadows line.

I pulled back on Break the Night, for the simple reason that I knew I couldn’t carry off my original
Sheila Melo
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FINAL DECISION: A gothic-type romance where the line between the hero being the "hero" or being the one who threatens the heroine is blurred, this book has an intriguing concept and at times a very interesting plot. Not as well developed as Stuart's later books, this one is still a fun and only slightly scary read.

THE STORY: Jack the Ripper is terrorizing Los Angeles. Lizzie Stride has become involved because her custom masks are being used by the Ripper in the murders. J.R. Damien is haunted by
Jane Turner
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot.
Like every AS book, this has a very thin line between a hero and a anti-hero.

Which brings me to my only lament : (view spoiler)
It would have made the story way scarier :D
MBR
Break the Night by Anne Stuart is another one of her masterpieces in her long list of books (which I am forever grateful for), that more or less belong in the same category. Taking on the events surrounding the killer Jack the Ripper as a premise, Anne Stuart weaves a tale that left me wanting more on every single aspect of the story that unfolded.

Elizabeth Stride (Lizzie) is an artist trying to survive the LA scene. A creator of masks, Lizzie is caught in a nightmarish circumstance when a seria
Linda
Norma
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
( Format : audiobook )
"As no man had ever done before..."
The London Jack the Ripper murders of the 1880s continue to fascinate even today and speculation continues over who committed the gruesome crimes. When I requested, and was generously gifted a complimentary copy of Break the Night by the rights holder, via Audiobook Boom, I had expected a more crime based story perhaps mirroring the original London acts interpreted into a modern setting, or something a little supernatural with the lead cha
DKC
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult, modern, romance
Saw who Jack was gonna be within the first two chapters. That kind of ruined it, but I decided to plug along and finish. Also, I almost didn't even get past the first two chapters, because of the (view spoiler) weirdness. I wanted something different, but this was a bit wacko-Jack-o for me (haha! totally unintentional, until I looked at what I'd typed).

It felt like a half-developed story. I like a good "Dead Again
Miekenstein
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I generally enjoy Anne Stuart books and I did enjoy this one. I think what took the book down from a 4 star to a 3 star book was that this is a re-release, and honestly, it seems a bit dated.

When I requested this book I didn't realize that this book was a re-release of a book I read in the 90's. After the initial meeting of Lizzie and Damien, when Damien actually stated "May God have mercy on your soul," I knew I was in for a melodrama filled ride.

The characters in the book are a little bit to
Eliza
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It finally happened! After multiple tries and multiple letdowns, I have finally found, and fell in love with, an Anne Stuart book. Over the years it has been disheartening to not connect with her books. Everything she writes should be right up my alley, but every time I try, something pops my balloon. This book, however, was magic for me! I fell in love with these peculiar, obsessed, struggling characters. No perfect hero here- just a man so lost almost all hope for him is gone. Heroine was just ...more
Kitty_ranma
It strikes me that there doesn't seem to be a explanation for the stars that are given. So I thought I'd start giving my take on it.
1 horrible no redeeming qualities.
2 there are redeeming qualities.
3 good worth reading, or well written but not my cup of tea.
4 great but there's something off.
5 loved it.

I want to say more about this story but I absolutely hate spoilers, so I won't go into details.
The narrator brings the story to life.
Reasons I enjoyed this audio book:
Happily Ever After, Wonderful
Laurie Beemer
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This novel intrigued me as soon as I read the description. I thought that the entire idea of reincarnation and the addition of the famous serial killer Jack the Ripper made this novel a must read among mystery readers everywhere. From the beginning of this story the life of Lizzie and Damien become entwined and their trust in each other becomes an important aspect of their survival; will they learn to trust in each other and survive? or will one of the meet an awful fate because they cannot trus ...more
Natalie Rowe
Thank you to Caroline McLaughlin for providing me with a free copy of this audiobook in return for an honest review.

Break the Night is an interesting story following the reincarnation of the Infamous Jack the Ripper. In this book, we follow Lizzie Stride, a mask making artist who the new age Ripper has developed an infatuation with, the police are useless at keeping her safe. The only person willing to protect her is reporter J.Damien.

I was really looking forward to listening to this book when C
Christa
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook-arc
I normally love Anne Stuart's books, but this was not among my favorites. This is a reissue of an older book, and I believe she has grown significantly as a writer since it was first released. The characters were not ones that I connected well with, which is definitely unusual with her books, and I found that the storyline drug for me at times. Stuart is a great writer, but this one wasn't really for me.
Mazel
Mortelle randonnée !

Cette île du golfe du Mexique n'est rien de moins qu'hostile.

A peine y a-t-elle mis les pieds qu'Annie prend conscience de sa folie. James McKinley la terrorise. Et à le voir soudain si froid, si implacable, le regard dévastateur, elle lui trouve l'air d'un ange de l'enfer.

Qui a assassiné son père, Win Sutherland ? C'est la question qu'elle veut poser à James. Car tous deux travaillaient pour la CIA.

Annie en a l'intuition. Comme elle sait que McKinley détient la clé de l'é
Robin
More than 100 years after Jack the Ripper's murders in Whitechapel, Jack was in Venice, California, plying his trade in the back alleys. J.R. Damien, an expert on the infamous murders, dreams of the new murders as they happen. He also warns artist Lizzie Stride that she may be the next victim. Lizzie's masks have been left at the scene of each murder. She also shares a name with one of the original Ripper victims.

I usually like most fiction that deals with Jack the Ripper, but this book wasn't t
Tanisha
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well written and plotted. It could be seen that Anne has researched a lot on 'Jack the ripper' to write this book. Villain was choosen
But there are few things about which I am not so sure like if the villain was shape shifter or just very good in taking different disguises. Also why at the end, he thought the heroine was Mary.
This may be because, the past life of both the leads were explored well but not the villain. This made the book a bit unclear on few points and left us to make assumptions
Betty
May 26, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of dark romance mysteries
Shelves: romance, mystery
I love Anne Stuart and have been fascinated with the Jack the Ripper case, since I was ten years old. So, I was looking forward to see what she would do with it all.

While the book had great atmosphere and an intriguing concept, it couldn't keep the tension and excitement up through the whole story. It's still an entertaining read (nice for a rainy day).

Not one of Stuart's best, but it has it's enjoyable moments.
Jenn Doyle
Sep 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys a good paranormal romance/thriller
Would rate this about a 4.3. Had a great storyline entwining the Jack the Ripper mystery with reincarnated lives. Really liked both the heroine & her guy in this one. It reminded me a bit of the movie Dead Again because of the past lives not having finished & still impacting the current lives. It's an older book, but definitely worth the read if you can find it :)
Angela Wade
3.5 First half was golden; second half was a dud. I give Stuart props, though, for tackling a complicated plot!
Kristin Herrick
Aug 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Cheesy and fun and suspenseful. I didn't figure out who the killer was until the end!
Renee
Any book about Jack The Ripper tends to make me happy and this one had some really cool ideas about masks, reincarnation and jack people some sort of supernatural creature.
Sahara
Mar 13, 2011
Sherry
Jun 05, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Wanted (Deadly Secrets #2)
  • Montana Actually (Medicine River, #1)
  • The Sister Swap
  • A Lesson in Temptation (Stanton Family, #4)
  • Tactical Deception (Silent Warrior, #2)
  • The Seduction of Samantha Kincade (Dangerous Men, #1)
  • Cullen's Bride
  • Breaking The Rules
  • Skin Heat (Skin, #3)
  • The Deepest Ocean (Eden #2)
  • Whose Bed Is It Anyway?
  • Anticipation (Brothers Ink #2)
  • Nightfall
  • Cold Secrets (Cold Justice, #7)
  • Going the Distance
  • House of Glass
  • The Jade Temptress (The Pingkang Li Mysteries, #2)
  • Guilty as Sin (Dead Wrong, #4)
Anne Stuart is a grandmaster of the genre, winner of Romance Writers of America's prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award, survivor of more than thirty-five years in the romance business, and still just keeps getting better.

Her first novel was Barrett's Hill, a gothic romance published by Ballantine in 1974 when Anne had just turned 25. Since then she's written more gothics, regencies, romantic sus