Start by marking “Take a Breath” as Want to Read:
Take a Breath

Read Book

Take a Breath

Dear Author,
As an ER doc, I work extremely long hours and barely have time for a relationship. With all the heartbreak and despair, I feel myself slipping from humanity. I need something or someone to breathe new life into me.

Photo Description: Colorized black and white - muscular doctor with bicep tattoo, wearing dark blue scrub pants falling down, with pale blue boxer b
Published July 14th 2012 by M/M Romance Group @ Goodreads

To ask other readers questions about Take a Breath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Take a Breath

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I really enjoyed this cute short by Tam Ames. What can I say, the Jewish girl in me loves a good sexy Jewish doctor story! I liked the geeky aspect and thought the sexual chemistry was hot. I thought that the child abuse sub-stories were big downers (I tend to avoid reading about those things, as real of an issue as they are) but I still liked this story.
Exina
I loved this one! Review later.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
How adorable was this? How perfect for a Trekkie? I haven't really been an active one in a long time, but I still could track most of the references.

Things I loved:

- no instalove
- one potential issue between them is not immediately fixed--life isn't perfect
- James's family, esp. the mom and the sister
- that there are important and interesting female characters
- Eli isn't perfect and comes around
- James is the sweetest guy ever even though he isn't in to Star Trek
- two words: purple cast
- the lo
Ami
Jul 14, 2012 rated it liked it

Eli Zimmerman is an ER doctor -- at the end of a crappy day he meets James McCray who brings his nephew, Dedrick, with a bloody head. James thinks that Eli is "Snarkyass" (though also a Hottie) since Eli has the decency to think that he could hurt his own nephew. But a couple of chance meet later (yes, James comes back to the ER twice more!) they discover they do have a thing in common ... in Star Trek.

------------

I think the story is cute! I like the miscommunication at first, and that
Sandra

Offered for FREE from M/M Romance Group, Love Is Always Write: Volume Nine.

4.5 stars I really enjoyed this one a lot. Thank you Baby Jesus for a short story without insta-love and the characters jumping immediately into bed together. A connection growing over time. What is this foreign concept? The Trekkie stuff was adorable. James was hilarious. Sure Eli was a Dick at times, but I think James's easygoing personality is just what he needs.

Alona
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m, short
There is nothing more off-putting then an angry MC! Just angry, for no good reason.

Oh, wait a minute, there is!
If that saied MC is a very angry, impatient, DOCTOR, that hates everything!

Sorry, I don't want to read about a bitter ER doctor who can't stop complaining about his job, his long working hours, the patients he is treating, his colleagues etc'
(Did he think he was going to work in a flower shop when he went into med school???)

I just couldn't stand Dr. Zimmerman!
Lauren
3.5 stars - Another fabulous addition to the Love is Always Write event. This was a sweet little read, and I just can't resist hot Star Trek nerds ;)
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5*

Hot Trekkie loving doctor meets cute James T. Kirk McCray in his emergency room....numerous times! lol
It's a sweet fun story and I would love to see where it goes from here!
Cole Riann
Spicy and sweet Trekkie story! Super cute :)
Janeylou
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Deeze
Sadly this just didn't work for me. After the last few Tam Ames shorts I was hoping this longer fic would deliver a bit more. Unfortunately what should of been a fun and quirky story fell rather flat for me. I felt no chemistry between Eli and James, and the story had to many WTH moments for me to believe in. Nice idea but didn't work for me.
Camille Adams
Oct 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: m-m-rom-erotica
This is my second story by Tam Ames and now I can confirm that I do not like her writing. There is such an angry tone to it. It's unpleasant.
Heller
Oct 28, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5

I want to go to a Star Trek Halloween party. Make it so, Number One! Cute story.
Trix
Oct 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Cute story about a strung up ER doctor and a laid back outdoor ed teacher. Match made in Heaven as they seem to complement each other really well.

The Trekkie thing was a bit over my head (had to pause the story a couple of times to google some of the terms) but it gave Eli a cute personality trait(view spoiler).

It's not a story t
Ayanna
Dec 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Thou shall not "pour over" charts. Thou shall "pore" over them instead.

Apparently, no one knows how to use the word "pore" either, because it's definitely not the first time I've seen "pouring over" books, charts, documents, articles, etc.

It's cute, ridiculous - actually gets a bit annoyingly ridiculous at times.
Jamie
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gift-free-book, m-m

This was a little fluffier than the prompt but enough of Eli's initial sense of gloom came through to make it work. James and his family are funny and they're a breath of fresh air. Nice freebie!
V
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have never, ever in my entire life read/watched anything about Star Trek so I was a little bit lost about that part, but overall it was a very cute story.
Victoria
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved it!!! What a cute and fun story. Thank you Tam Ames, for donating your story, time and talent.
GlamLawyer
Nov 12, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 nice read. I had some trouble with the constant POV changes but it didn't take away much of the fun reading the story.
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
I can't wait for this one. The photo is so hot.

Sad it's tagged as smoking :( that's nasty.

Linda-Grace
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Funny and cute.
Mistral
Cute e funny read.
DC
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very sweet and well-written, but short. You can’t really blame Eli for being such a sour puss; it’s not easy being and ER doctor. The HFN ending fit the story but it would have been nice to have an epilogue so we could see how things turn out for Eli and James.
Rikki
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm a mild Trekker, so I enjoyed that side of the story quite a bit. Plus: It has one of the funniest moments ever when Eli tells James about the conversation he had with James' mom. Really nice! For that alone I am giving 4 stars.
Cute story.
Sandradine
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet! A very well written romantic short story.
Jenny
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: gay
Nice Story, but a Little redundant. I really liked the humour.
Bettye Kanady
Nov 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Bettye by: Love is Always Write List
This book made me smile all the way through! I couldn't help but laugh. The story is about Eli and James...aka "Dr. Snarkyass Hottie-Dude" and "James T. Kirk McCray". One night, "Dr. Snarkyass..." was on his 17th and 1/2 hr of his 18 hour shift when a nurse barges into his office space, lays her hands on the man to tell him that he is needed right away in the ER. Now, Eli says in his brain- no joke...Why do these people have to touch me? First big clue that he's not real sociable, right? After a ...more
Audrey
Jul 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: man-love
3.5 stars. I enjoyed this story and appreciated the uniqueness of each character's voice.

Note: I can't stand smoking, but it sort of worked in this story. Only thing I thought was weird was a line that said something like "usually it's not good, but this time it's not a problem." Paraphrasing, but yeah...I thought that was a little odd.

This story is available for FREE as part of the Goodreads M/M Romance group's Love is Always Write event. Read the free story here or download the ebook on the bo
France-Andrée
Sep 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Felt a little jealous reading this... I mean I'm not a Trekkie, but I am a Whovian so going to a themed Doctor Who Halloween party would be the ultimate fangirl fantasy so I totally got the character's enthusiasm even though it's not the same show we love. I liked the characters especially Eli, but it felt episodic and the ending was okay, but not great. The reason I truly enjoyed this read is the Star Trek angle!
Katy Beth Mckee
A visit to the ER brings James and Eli together. But Eli is busy and doesn't have time. But James keeps turning up and after going to a party together things explode between them. And you get the hint that they are headed to something.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • An Oral Fixation
  • Just Be
  • Lead Us Not
  • Whistle Blowing
  • Half-Baked Promises (Castor Springs, #1)
  • Delicious Sinn
  • Telling Jase
  • In My Sights
I'm a single mom to a great 23 year old daughter, and I have a full-time job as well. I started reading m/m romance about 10 years ago, then went to reviewing and then writing.

Some dares and prompting of friends led me to the role of author and they've always been my biggest cheerleaders.

You can contact me at tam.ames01@gmail.com