Start by marking “Managing the Unmanageable: Rules, Tools, and Insights for Managing Software People and Teams” as Want to Read:

"Mantle and Lichty have assembled a guide that will help you hire, motivate, and mentor a software development team that functions at the highest level. Their rules of thumb and coaching advice are great blueprints for new and experienced software engineering managers alike." --Tom Conrad, CTO, Pandora "I wish I'd had this material available years ago. I see lots and lot ...more
Published October 15th 2012 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published August 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Managing the Unmanageable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Managing the Unmanageable

Lauro Caetano
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
It was an interesting book, since I am a developer and I could identify with some of the topics. What caught my attention was how we (developers) are perceived by our managers, and that's exactly what I was looking for in this book.

I quite disagree with some of the things mentioned in this books, for instance:

* Remote teams don't work (and later on, they talk about some ways of "Controlling" and "checking" if they are really working)
* They consider contractors as mercenaries, and later on, the
Khalid Almoghrabi
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good book to read for people managing IT teams.
Wisgary Torres
Alright

It helped me think about the right topics, though I disagreed with the content at times. I was at least able to use the book to think about these different subjects and form my own opinions. The most interesting part of the book to me was the comically accurate software development stereotypes at times.
Kevin
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed feelings about this book, but overall it had a lot of good content.

Similar to a book I read prior to this, Managing Humans, there was a lot of repeated material... but it felt a bit more noticeable here.

Also, there's a fairly large section that's just filled with quotes and sayings that apply to software, management, etc. that seemed just sort of thrown in to add bulk. Not that some of it wasn't insightful, but many of them were also included in other areas of the book... so I didn'
Vlad Ardelean
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: attitude
My firsr book on such topics. I found it very insightful. Some topics presented were surprising (such as the comparison of different regional programming cultures), others were in tune with general moral intuitions (repeated suggestions for creating a fair culture). Still other topics were - I feel - better applicable in the US ( for instance the salary comparison sites cited didn't have data for eastern Europe).
Overall, I recommend this book for people with not much prior knowledge in the field
Stefan
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Above average source of knowledge for anyone interesting in learning the ropes of leading a software development team / delivery. Sadly rather verbose, lacking clear structure and whilst based on experiences shared by several developers, PMs and tech-leads somehow won't leave you much smarter if you have done your time as an apprentice at fairly reasonable shop. Recommended for these looking for a book that they just know theirs managers should read. ;-)
Guillermo Trueba
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After finishing this book i now have a more complete picture of my responsibilities as a engineers manager. Ample tools are provided to solve common problems. Many tips for the day to day are shared.
I’ll keep this book as a reference close to me and check it often when facing challenges described in it. It will be my paper mentor.
Furkan Sakar
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: software
It contains a lot of experience which you can only understand if you work with IT teams long enough.

I am sure that the book is not telling too much for experienced people, but can be really good for newbies.
Kristjan
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
I had high hopes for this book, but ended up with disappointement. I picked few quotes, but there is nothing new nor insightful in this book.

If topics regarding working with developers are still interesting for you, I would recommend Joel Spolsky blog articles (also packaged as book).

Benjamin Bryan
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great practical book covering just about every area a development manager will need.
James Hewett
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting but outdated
Tania Oleksiienko
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great wisdom book for IT sphere, although the principles sound pretty universal for other spheres as well
Kristy
Jan 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I recieved this book for free from Goodreads First Reads. While I am not in the programming field nor have any interest in this career field I did find this book very informative. It gives a lot of insight into software develepment, writing job descriptions and how much college education you would need to go into this field.
Antti Haapalahti
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Summarizes managing a software team / software product in detail fit for newly appointed manager, very applicable also for team leader status, and beneficial read for anyone managing anybody in the programming field of work
Alex Mallet
Decent book, but nothing I hadn't already picked up from other (better) books about (software) management.
Taj Bortz
Jul 23, 2013 is currently reading it
Shelves: programming
This is a lot of common sense. A lot of it, and well-rounded.

My favorite part of the book was the quotes in the gray section in the middle. FANTASTIC quotes.
Sherilyn
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Actually pretty useful book. I don't actually have unmanageable developers working for me, but they do have their quirks.
Charlie
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good treatment of how to manage programmers
James
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first chapter is a bit rough, but the rest is really good. Lots of very nuts and bolts information and advice.
Jaroslav Urban
I expected a lot from the book, but lost interest in it over time. Too much complaining in my opinion.
Fsgaston
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very good book. If you haven't ever developed and have to manage developers this is an excellent book to get a clue. Wish I could have had these guys as supervisors at some point in my career!
Ben
Feb 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Good tips for managing software engineers. (And even non-software engineers too).
Jakub Zalas
Dec 28, 2018
John
Sep 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Notes to a software team leader
  • The Retrospective Handbook: A guide for agile teams
  • Waltzing with Bears: Managing Risk on Software Projects
  • The Power of Ethical Management
  • Leap of Reason: Managing to Outcomes in an Era of Scarcity
  • Making Strategy Work: Leading Effective Execution and Change
  • A Lapsed Anarchist's Approach to Building a Great Business (Zingerman's Guide to Good Leading)
  • Behind Closed Doors: Secrets of Great Management
  • Managing Humans: Biting and Humorous Tales of a Software Engineering Manager
  • Software Estimation: Demystifying the Black Art
  • Agile Software Requirements: Lean Requirements Practices for Teams, Programs, and the Enterprise
  • The Strategist: Be the Leader Your Business Needs
  • Lead with Luv: A Different Way to Create Real Success
  • Specification by Example
  • The Open Organization: Igniting Passion and Performance
  • The Win Without Pitching Manifesto
  • Essential Scrum: A Practical Guide to the Most Popular Agile Process
  • The Leader's Guide to Radical Management: Reinventing the Workplace for the 21st Century

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“Any code of your own that you haven’t looked at for six or more months might as well have been written by someone else.” 0 likes