Start by marking “Pronoia is the Antidote for Paranoia: How the Whole World is Conspiring to Shower You With Blessings” as Want to Read:

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  1,093 Ratings  ·  134 Reviews
Brezsny declares evil is boring, the universe is friendly, and life is a sublime gift created for our amusement and illumination. This witty, inspiring how-to shows how any reader can become a wildly disciplined, fiercely tender . . . lustfully compassionate Master of Rowdy Bliss.
Published April 1st 2005 by Frog (first published December 31st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Pronoia is the Antidote for Paranoia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pronoia is the Antidote for Paranoia

Mark
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone mellow or totally uptight :P
Shelves: life
Ok, so in a nutshell, this book is the reason that I know my current girlfriend, her daughter, several other good friends, and why I always have a particularly happy picture in my head when I get frustrated (at least once I remember to remember the picture :).

That said, none of that had to do with reading the book, but it sure set the bar high. When I finally got to actually READ it, I found it to be a delightful and fun combination of ideas and activities that I still play with regularly, two
Adrienne
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I need more stars. An entire night sky might do. Please read this book, then share it. Mark it up. Draw in it. Sip it or gulp it down. Lather, rinse, repeat. "888 tricks to becoming a wildly disciplined, fiercely tender, ironically sincere, scrupulously curious, aggressively sensitive, blasphemously reverent, lyrically logical, lustfully compassionate Master of Rowdy Bliss." True. Wonderful book.

This is "a romping, joyful celebration designed to shake you out of your complacent, semi-sardonic re
wheels
Jun 15, 2010 rated it liked it
I mean the following statement with the utmost respect for Rob Brezny, of whom I am big fan. This book belongs in the unnamed genre that resides somewhere between sacred oracle text and toilet reading. I have, indeed, swapped out the old worn psychic dictionary and swapped in this text. Ok, I didn't really read this entire book from front to back, but I don't think it's designed to be read so linearly. I think this book gets 3.5-4 stars, pending on how cynical I feel at the moment.
Heather
Oct 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Everyone will like this book. Honest. Perfect gift book. It's got stuff for any type of person. Mystics, scientists, punk teenagers, conservative grandfathers, recovering cynics, Pollyannas, and all the rest of us, struggling to feel like life is GOOD. It's filled with GOOD. Brezsny shows you the good is under your nose.

This book doesn't allow you to hold onto any limiting old ways of being. So even when I am trying to be self-indulgently depressed, stubbornly kicking and screaming against his p
Jenny
Jun 16, 2008 rated it liked it
A good book to read snippets of before bed at night. I love his horoscopes and this is sort of an epic version of those. Overall his worldview (that the world isn't as evil/scary as we think) isn't a bad one to absorb. Some of it is a little loopy, but some of his writing is viscerally poetic (Tom Robbins wrote a blurb on the back of the book and I can see the style similarity.)
drozda
Mar 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I just received this tome...it must weigh in at 5 pounds...but I am already head over heels excited about what it holds for us artist types...it looks to be a marvelous playground for adding a layer of refreshed, deepened, wild and wooly imaginings to the ways in which we move through the world.
Marian la Contrarian
Sep 23, 2012 is currently reading it
Shelves: growth
As I described it to one friend, this book is Dr. Seuss meets Eckhart Tolle. It is a romping, joyful celebration designed to shake you out of your complacent, semi-sardonic response to life. Brezsny hitches outrageous vocabularic flamboyance to the cause of liberating people from their soul-defeating perspectives, offering in their place the madcap vitality of a child's openness to imaginative possibilities that have not been foreclosed on by the safe stance of satire. Yet the work's intent is n ...more
Rachel
Sep 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I have very mixed feelings about this. It's a monster, could use a redesign, and might be better off as a series of small books. There's just so much going on. Brezsny's language sometimes gets annoying and hokey, trying too hard to be zany and "outside the box." I do not end up with the impression that he's someone I'd want to spend much time with. Sometimes you don't want to talk about a paradigm, you know? But overall, I believe the world needs this book. Its heart is smack in the right place ...more
Robin
Jan 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Billed as the antidote to paranoia, this book is a collection of stories and facts designed to make one feel good about life. The premise is to accept that Universe can be conspiring to give us everything we desire, provided that we believe in ourselves. It is full of introspective musings and mental exercises designed to uplift. As anyone who reads Rob Brezsny’s astrology column can imagine, this book is nothing like the usual self-help books. It’s loaded with pithy statements, expansive quotat ...more
Mikey T
Dec 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Have no idea where to start with a review of this book. I can only say for sure that it is the most influential book I've read all year, possibly longer. For me, this book serves as a wellspring of inspiration. This book stokes my vital fire, fanning the flames of creativity.
Thank you, Rob, for putting this out there.
Kerry
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just what you need to set your imagination free. Brezsny will push you to think outside the box you think in- when you think you are thinking outside of the box.
Natalie
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
awesome, inspiring, non-linear, fun......I've been in the spirituality/self-help business for YEARS thought I'd read it all...it's on the list of the books that have changed my life.
Care
Jan 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
EVERYONE, I MEAN EVERYONE, SHOULD HAVE THIS BOOK IN THEIR HOUSE.
Reese Lightning
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Burning Man in book form, which is to say not my cup of tea. I'm all for positivity and light and goodness, but I found this guy annoying about it. I was really into his horoscopes when I was a teenager, but... I was a teenager; I was into plenty of dippy shit. Every asshole with a messiah complex looks like a wise man to those who want to see one. I could just as easily see Charles Manson having written this.
Tristy
Feb 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Three cheers for the mystic Trickster, Rob Brezsny. The world is a better place with him in it. This is a spiritual text of sorts - for those who need to remember that the world is a magical, beautiful, mystical place and for those who know it already. It's filled with invitations to shake things up, reach out and connect in new ways to your fellow human beings, bring ritual back into your life, and giggle as much as possible. He suggests using the book as a kind of divination tool - when you fe ...more
Juliette Morris Williams
Aug 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
My copy is on my desk at work, for easy reference/flipping through. So it's going into the 'read' pile, but it's constantly being read. A great book to have on hand when you're experiencing life changes, emotional turmoil, a tough day at work, writer's block, etc....in other words, a great book to have on hand.
R. J.
May 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Rob speaks to me in my own language. Where it has been enlightening to some, it is refreshing to feel that one can celebrate the habits of believing the universe prefers to deliver the goods to everyone. This goes for cynics and optimists alike. Any page is the right page to start reading.
Astarte
Aug 10, 2012 is currently reading it
So far i love it....sounds insane like me. Still have to allow for paranoia to work itself out but fundamentally i like the idea of having the desire to effect a constant state of pronoia. More to follow
Sidney
Aug 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
LOVE this book! Rob Brezsny is an amazing writer with a wonderful perspective on life. It is one of those books where you can pick it up, turn to any page, read for a couple minutes, realize just how lucky/blessed you are, and then try to be a better person. Highly suggest!
Chambers Stevens
Lord...where do I even start.
Okay...the book starts with a basic premise.
What if there are forces out there that want to do you good?
Shere
Jul 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I got hooked reading Rob Brezny's weekly horoscopes in The Willamette Week in Portland OR, wise humorous, and irreverent. What a creative way to be reminded of the expansiveness of the imagination.
Susan Marie
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A book that one never stops reading. Supreme existential thought but light enough for everyone.
Bridgett
Jul 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
Very unusual book with lots of little optimistic anecdotes and exercises.
Cheryl
Jan 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Almost any quote I have in my quote bible is in this book. I love this man, his playfulness, his imagination, his demand that optimism be given more respect. He has compiled one of the most amazing book of quotes, facts and mysteries (he called them mirabilia= events that inspire wonder, marvelous phenomena, small miracles.) Although thinking outside the box and letting fun and humor permeate his delivery, he is serious, and probably one of the smartest men on the planet. I related less to his o ...more
Dawn K
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There are days when you just want a way to ponder a life-niggle with a fresh set of eyes.
Rob Brezny offers a gazillion refreshing takes with Pronoia.
Take it with a grain of salt, a vitamin for your creative soul or a newly discovered truth tab.
It matters not. This book has heft in size and in its boredom busting, perspective-wrangling abilities.

Reading it in bitesized pieces works well although randomly flipping to this page or that is an adventure all its own. There's no reason you must own
Pax Mandable
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uplifting
This book maybe isn't something you have to read cover to cover.... I did though, and now it's my oracle. When I need to remember that life is good, miracles happen (and I am one) and everything will keep moving for the better, I flip to any page of this and dive into a state of joy. ...I also color in the pages when I'm thinking hard on something or just listening to music. This book is soul food.
Daeryl Holzer
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a big fat book filled with imaginative and well-written snippets of goodness! A great way to start your day, before you get inundated with the bad news and fear that circulates so frequently on social media. Rob Brezsny has a remarkable way with words and gives the reader an attitudinal twist to living in this crazy world of ours.
Liz Pardue-schultz
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This isn’t a book; it’s a mindset and a lifestyle. I’ve kept it by my bedside for more than a decade and it’s become more of a self-help scripture than any other self-help or scripture tome ever has the more I interact with it.
Maureen O'Brien O'Reilly
I enjoyed this book but not as much as I like the word 'pronoia' or as much as I am entertained by Brezsny's freewill astrology site.
Heidi
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Feeling depressed while living in a fancy canvass tent with a hardwood floor (as one does), I curled up with this feel-good book like a warm blanket.
  • The Red Book: A Deliciously Unorthodox Approach to Igniting Your Divine Spark
  • Spectrum of Consciousness
  • Tying Rocks to Clouds
  • The Tao of Psychology: Synchronicity and Self
  • The Bodacious Book of Succulence: Daring to Live Your Succulent Wild Life
  • The Four-Fold Way: Walking the Paths of the Warrior, Teacher, Healer, and Visionary
  • Truth or Dare: Encounters with Power, Authority, and Mystery
  • The Psychology of Man's Possible Evolution
  • Listening Book
  • Creating a Life Worth Living
  • Calling the Circle: The First and Future Culture
  • A Woman's Book of Life
  • The Purpose of Your Life: Finding Your Place In The World Using Synchronicity, Intuition, And Uncommon Sense
  • The Nine Modern Day Muses: 10 Guides to Creative Inspiration for Artists, Poets, Lovers, and Other Mortals Wanting to Live a Dazzling Existence
“The only real voyage consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes; in seeing the universe through the eyes of another, one hundred others-in seeing the hundred universes that each of them sees.
Marcel Proust, translated by Kiyotesong”
8 likes
“If you’re really listening, if you’re awake to the poignant beauty of the world, your heart breaks regularly. In fact, your heart is made to break; its purpose is to burst open again and again so it can hold evermore wonders. -Andrew Harvey” 6 likes