Start by marking “Beautiful Trouble: A Toolbox for Revolution” as Want to Read:
Beautiful Trouble: A Toolbox for Revolution

Beautiful Trouble: A Toolbox for Revolution

An invaluable activist resource, Beautiful Trouble assembles the best ideas of 10 groundbreaking organization and over 70 troublemakers into a set of interlocking design principles. Use it to instigate anything from a flash mob to a revolution.
Published June 2012 by OR Books

To ask other readers questions about Beautiful Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beautiful Trouble

Start your review of Beautiful Trouble: A Toolbox for Revolution
Robert Wechsler
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ongoing, nonfiction
Note: I forgot to say that this book has a website that allows updating as well as sharing of stories and ideas http://beautifultrouble.org/

An amazing feat: a well-organized and thought-out resource book on the tactics, principles, and theories that those on the left can use to creatively and skillfully change the status quo. Even though each piece is written by a different author(s), for the most part there is a single rational, helpful, yet humorous and impassioned voice, a voice of experience
Max
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, politics
Let me start this review by saying that I am not planning on starting a violent revolution. You can call off the black helicopters.

This book is split into multiple parts, talking about Tactics, Principles, Theories and Case Studies of activism, starting as early as the '50s and ending as recently as 2010. So, there is a large timespan and a large span of different types of activism that this book is dealing with.

This book is not so much a comprehensive manual (each of the 2-3 page chapters could
mike
Sep 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fight-the-power
This title is best approached as The Big Bathroom Book of Leftist Pranks. It's a collection of two-to-four page case studies of various tactics and concepts behind social action.

Taken one or two vignettes at a time -- say, by opening to a random page, reading for five minutes, and setting it back down without using a bookmark -- "Trouble" is entertaining and informative, provided your politics align with the authors'. It is not, however, a book that one "finishes" in any conventional sense.
Tom
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a really well compiled resource of inspiration and guidance taken from activists and movements mostly in Europe and the USA.
It really is a must-read for anyone who is politically active on the streets anywhere in the world.
To reveal my slight bias, I was so taken with the book, and what it can offer that I'm now involved in developing http://beautifulrising.org that aims to do the same but with a Global South perspective. There will also hopefully be a strong community around the
Sean Estelle
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: organizing
I've paged through this book before, but it was definitely worth taking the time to sit down and read it cover to cover. New ideas, and new sparks bursting, in a much needed time.
Megan
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Informative, insightful, and accessible!
Manon
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Helpful toolbox in this time of political upheaval and dissent
Marianne
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Were there parts that annoyed me? Yes. Was it fascinating and even somewhat inspiring anyway? Yes.
Hanna Kuzyo
Aug 04, 2016 rated it liked it
У мене ця книга була за замовчуванням завантажена на читалку. Лише через це її прочитала. + згадала, що хтось із знайомих екоактивістів постив її обкладинку. Отак я іноді вибираю книги :)

Книга ділиться на декілька логічних розділів:
- тактики;
- принципи;
- теорії;
- кейси.

З того всього найцікавіші теорії та принципи. Хоча для загального розвитку цікаво прочитати все. Я розумію, що всі революції, тривалі протести, пікети і будь-яке вираження соціальної позиції має бути чітко сплановане, щоб не
Haliation
Sep 06, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: activism
I'm super excited to get this book. It was sold to me by a Briarpatch rep, which happens to be one of my favourite independent magazines ever. I usually don't buy what people are selling me during welcome week at my uni (I don't need another cellphone or credit card, thanks), but in this case: AWWW YIS.
Unlike many books of this sort, it is completely enjoyable, funny and concise. I've only read a few sections now (A feature on the Harry Potter Alliance and an article by Starhawk), but I think
Mark Hiser
A "toolbox" of theories, practices, strategies, examples, and resources for non-violent civil disobedience. A great source of ideas and inspiration for those working for social justice and other causes.
Cynthia Van der Wielen
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very informative and helpful!
Gabriella Bugge
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Wonderfully composed. A must-have for any organizer, activist, or social justice scholar. A great reference resource.
Luís Nunes

• Civil Disobedience
  • Places of Redemption: Theology for a Worldly Church
  • Christian Spirituality: The Classics
  • Engage: A Theological Field Education Toolkit
  • Becoming Who You Are: Insights on the True Self from Thomas Merton and Other Saints
  • Meditations of the Heart
  • On What Cannot Be Said: Apophatic Discourses in Philosophy, Religion, Literature, and the Arts: Volume 1: Classic Formulations
  • At Home in the World: The Letters of Thomas Merton and Rosemary Radford Ruether
  • The Darkness of God: Negativity in Christian Mysticism
  • Unsettling the Word: Biblical Experiments in Decolonization
  • Rules for Radicals: A Pragmatic Primer for Realistic Radicals
  • Erebos
  • Escape from Freedom
  • Stimmen (Beatrice Kaspary, #3)
  • Fünf (Beatrice Kaspary, #1)
  • Schatten (Beatrice Kaspary, #4)
  • Blinde Vögel (Beatrice Kaspary, #2)
  • No Exit
“You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” 3 likes
“For the silent leaders behind every victory “who strain in the mud and the muck to move things forward, who do what has to be done, again and again” (Marge Piercy).” 2 likes