Jump to ratings and reviews

The 13th Sign

What if there was a 13th zodiac sign?

You’re no longer Sagittarius, but Ophiuchus, the healer, the 13th sign.

Your personality has changed. So has your mom’s and your best friend’s.

What about the rest of the world?

What if you were the one who accidentally unlocked the 13th sign, causing this world-altering change—and infuriating the other 12 signs?

Jalen did it, and now she must use every ounce of her strength and cunning to send the signs back where they belong. Lives, including her own, depend on it.

272 pages, Hardcover

13 books115 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
72 (12%)
1 star
28 (4%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 163 reviews
Profile Image for Ashley Daviau.
1,728 reviews739 followers
September 5, 2016
I was originally drawn to this book because of the spectacular cover and wasn't sure what to expect from the story. I'm really glad my eye was drawn to it because I ended up thoroughly enjoying it. The whole concept of the zodiac signs shifting and everyone's personalities changing was really intriguing and I haven't read anything quite like it. And all the battles throughout were amazing and it was interesting to see how Jalen dealt with each of them. All in all, I really adored the concept that this story was based on and just loved the book as a whole!
Profile Image for Megs.
239 reviews29 followers
January 1, 2013
The 13th Sign starts off with an interesting concept. What if everyone's personality shifted? Would it be chaos? Political leaders suddenly indecisive? Surgeons suddenly squeamish?

However, the 13th Sign fell a bit flat for me. While there was quite a bit of action and Tubb spelled out the lessons in the book pretty explicitly, it lacked the spark that makes a book great.

I'm fairly indifferent towards the main character, Jalen. There was nothing in particular that I disliked about her, but I just didn't feel a very strong connection with her. My favourite thing about her is how much she loves her Nina (which means Grandma). I appreciated the emphasis put on the importance of family, especially since family is so important in my own life.

Middle grade readers will enjoy all the action in this one, as Jalen and her friends Ellie and Brennan battle the 12 signs of the zodiac. The last few battles felt a bit rushed compared to the first ones, but they were still fun to read about.

I'd recommend this one to anyone who loves astrology and wants an adventure inspired by the signs of the zodiac.
Profile Image for Katy.
611 reviews333 followers
January 16, 2013
I really want to give this book 2 stars since it's targeted for a younger age group than what I'm used to, but I didn't feel that it was fair to "punish" the book because it really wasn't for me.

First, I do think that it's interesting that Tubb made a story about the big news a year or two ago when someone entertained the idea that there was really a 13th sign in the zodiac. And I think it was a fun book to read because the book was filled with action as Jalen and her friends faced down each "challenge."

At the same time, Tubb had compared their adventures to Hercules, and I was disappointed each "showdown" wasn't as deep or lesson-learning as I was hoping for. While the book did give me some insight on each zodiac, it didn't tell me much more than a typical zodiac book would. And like I said, the fiction part was fun enough, but I was hoping for more.

So really, I kind of fell asleep each of the four times I attempted to read this book, but it was more that it wasn't for me than the fact that I couldn't get into it. Still, it's not a bad read if you were curious or wanted something quick that was filled with lots of adventures.
Profile Image for All Things Urban Fantasy.
1,921 reviews611 followers
January 10, 2013
Review Courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

THE 13TH SIGN has a creative and fresh idea involving zodiac signs, but unfortunately it fell flat in its execution. I loved the idea of Zodiac signs being real creatures and that a shift in ones sign means a shift in your personality. Although, considering most horoscopes are pretty general in their traits and could be attributed to many people, the extreme and sudden shifts in personalities and actions were too extreme to believe for me.

I enjoyed following Jalen around as she combats each zodiac sign whose weakness is revealed through their core characteristics. Unfortunately with 13 battles to fight there wasn’t too much room for real character development and I felt like Jalen and her friends were rushing through all of the battles without any room for me to pause and absorb what was happening. Some of the battles were pretty interesting and detailed but a lot were underwhelming and disappointing.

Jalen seemed like an interesting character but we barely got to know her and her relationship with her friends before the great shift in personalities happened. So many plot points rushed by that were actually pretty cool sounding but were never fully resolved or explained. For example, the mystery of what happened to Jalen’s father who possibly went through the same thing Jalen did was mentioned but I didn’t fully understand what happened to him.

THE 13TH SIGN would have been so much better if it were longer or divided into multiple books to give more room for character and plot development. I liked the lesson Jalen learned in the end about herself and her capabilities but by then it was too little too late. The intriguing premise was squandered by poor execution.

Sexual content: none
June 11, 2015
This gets a solid 3.5/5 stars for me. A solid read with an exciting cast and background. The zodiac has always been a fun pastime, so this novel peaked my interest big time.
Profile Image for Kai.
407 reviews128 followers
January 10, 2013
Review posted at Amaterasu Reads

That hype and virtual mayhem that Ophiucus created was enough to make me interested in this book. It started of with 14 year old Jalen getting a reading for her birthday. It was a tradition started by Nina, her once bright and adventurous grandmother who's now fighting to live on. Jalen just wants everything to be okay. Maybe being a Sagittaruis wasn't helping her at all. And so she found a mysterious book about the zodiac, and in her persistence to unlock it, she has also unlocked the 13th sign, Ophiuchus. Now Jalen's on a hunt to send back all the other 12 zodiacs to the heavens amidst all the personality shifts and zodiacs determined to stop her. Because of Jalen unlocks Ophiuchus' power, she will be able to save her Nina, and maybe reunite with her long lost father. All of this Jalen needs to do in 24 hours, or everything is permanent.

The concept behind the 13th sign is really interesting. It's one of the first YA attempts to write a story for teens about Ophiucus. While I don't like Jalen's doormat, easily influenced personality, the shift when she unlocked Ophiucus made her a little more likable. Better to have spunk and fierceness than be timid. It will take a while for the personality shift problem to convince readers that it is a real conflict in the book, but what's fun in this is the introduction and incorporation of all the 12 zodiacs, their different earthly forms, personalities and how they tested Jalen and her resolve to conquer Ophiucus. The trials Jalen faced were enough to give readers some tension. Though I didn't care much for Brennan's character whose personality felt like it shifted more than once with his erratic and inconsistent behavior, Ellie, though irritating at times, provided enough spark in the story with her support to Jalen. Also, Gemini, the playful zodiac who might or might not be a friend or a foe, lend the story enough mischievousness for it to be quite an engaging read.

Overall, it's a good reading experience. Even though I had difficulty connecting with some of the characters and the inclusion of the zodiacs in particular scenes created some moments of confusion in the story, it's still quite an enjoyable read. I definitely enjoyed Jalen's quest to defeat all 12 zodiacs. The author was able to stitch together the connection between Jalen's father and her involvement with the 12 zodiacs quite neatly, and her dedication to her Nina is the part that I loved the most in the 13th sign. My only complain for this is book is that Ophiucus' presence didn't give the story quite the impact I was expecting it to despite being the central source of conflict. I wish it was made more believable, that the story gave more of a sense of foreboding and impending danger than it does instead of it coming from the police hunting the characters and the zodiacs all throughout the story. It felt a little bit contained within Jalen's circle. I'm quite unconvinced with how unlocking Ophiucus can destroy the world, as there was not enough in the story to show that it really was happening. More chaos, more destruction, instead of everything just being a product of Jalen and her friends imagination. Also, a little romance wouldn't hurt, as this book has very little to almost none. If there was anything between Jalen and Brennan, it wasn't shown clearly. The concept behind the book was creative, I wish it was just utilized a little bit more.

Despite the difficulties I had, the 13th sign is still a good read. Though this might appeal to a more younger audience, it's not a bad start for Kristin O'Donnell Tubb. I would want to see more of her works in the future.
Profile Image for Ashley.
499 reviews85 followers
January 5, 2013
The 13th Sign. When I first heard of it, I literally spazzed. What a brilliant idea! Like Jalen, I am a Sagittarius that feel like the horoscope didn't depict my personality right. And so I started wondering if there was a 13th sign. The idea intrigued me dearly. And recently I got into looking at horoscope more because of Midorima from Kuroko no Basuke (I miss you Shin-chan). So when Raincoast Books provided me a copy of The 13th Sign, I freaked. So on the night of January the 4th, I started reading and man I didn't put the book down until I was finished. I finished this within hours (and I read SUPER slow) so this is saying a lot! Now I am currently writing this review at 12:30 in the morning. I have to say my mind works better at night anyway.

Okay let's talk about the cover. WOW! Is it ever gorgeous?! It somewhat reminded me of The Night Circus' cover and this Alice in Wonderland mythical depth. I adore it! It seemed goth but also elegant. I couldn't stop staring at it.

I mean the book is not perfect for example, the start of the book. The book didn't start out very well. Maybe it was me but I was confused. I didn't understand the characters, ie who is Ellie, and what's her relationship with Jalen? How old is she? How about Brennan? Nina? Jalen kept on referring Nina as "her Nina", why? What is going on?(Oh Nina is her grandmother, after 43 pages I find this out). And I thought they were locked out of the house, how did they get in?

So I was a bit frustrated with the beginning, but that said, if you look past all that, everything was good. I mean you get to be introduced to all the zodiac signs as people, almost like Greek Gods from Percy Jackson. Each of them had their own personalities that fit the horoscope. That was pretty cool. :) Oh speaking of Percy Jackson, there were many things this book resembled of Percy Jackson series. You know the Minotaur encounter in the lightning thief? There was something similar but with Taurus the Bull. So if you know the adventure Percy went on such as Medusa's lair etc, you get most of the action from this book. BUT! The big difference is that the Percy Jackson series seemed to had more layers and complexity. Some of the "fights" in this book lacked many excitement. It just didn't have the same impact as the Percy Jackson series but I mean, who can compete with Rick Riordan? He is practically a God himself.

So overall, this book is a fast-paced adventure that's for sure. It is full of magic, myth, danger and more! Once the story got started, the pace was fast. It kept things interesting and not dull. One adventure followed another, one Keeper after another. If you like Percy Jackson (but a step down), why not give this one a try?

Profile Image for Jenni Arndt.
438 reviews331 followers
January 3, 2013
I was told a few weeks ago that whenever I review a middle grade novel I talk about how surprised I am by it. So I am going to switch it up in this one and say that The 13th Sign was a refreshing read. Something about the innocence of the characters and the genres ability to get me to go along with whatever fantastical plot the author throws at me, gets me everytime. This one reminded me a lot of Jumanji, the releasing of ancient magic and the race to put it back in its place.

On her thirteenth birthday Jalen and her friend Ellie head out to fulfill her tradition of going to the local voodoo shop and having her horoscope read to her. Upon searching the shelves she comes across a mysterious locked book called The Keypers of the Zodiack, upon trying to purchase the book she is told that she isn’t ready for it and immediately shutdown by the shopkeeper. So naturally this sparks the girls' interest and they take the book and run (but it’s not really stealing because they leave money behind! Haha) I’m sure you can kind of piece together where the story goes from here; the girls open the mysterious book and release the 13th sign into the universe which leads to personality shifts in everyone and also the other 12 signs on a hunt for Jalen and to put the sign (and it’s hidden power) back.

The story is very much a race against time. I loved how fast paced it was and the challenges that Jalen had to overcome when she met each sign were definitely interesting. I will say though that while the challenges in the beginning felt epic and really tested Jalen’s strength, the ones at the end felt rushed and rather lazy. At first she has to test her strength and wits and really push herself to the limits and some of the very last ones were as simple as kicking over a pot. I really wish the caliber of the first challenges was maintained throughout. Even though it wasn’t, it still made for an engrossing read and I was sucked into a plot that didn’t let up at all.

As for the characters here, it’s really difficult to talk about how I connected with them. After the switch they weren’t even sure who they were anymore so neither was I. I will say that while Jalen started out feeling like a timid girl who always stayed in her place, I loved that she would just blurt out snarky things after the change and be left wondering where it came from. Her best friend Ellie was also a winner for me she was hilarious! I liked the girls banter and could feel that their friendship was deep rooted.

Of course, being a middle grade novel, there isn’t too much romance to be had here, which is one of my favorite things about the genre. Sure there are a few crushes here and there but the main focus is definitely on the plot. Brennan, Ellie’s older brother and Jalen’s crush, started out as someone that I really didn’t like. He was rude to the girls and just all around pushy but once the switch occurred he was a caring guy who was looking out for the girls best interest at every moment. This created a neat dynamic because Jalen remembered him for who he was, and he had no idea so he didn’t understand why she was so indifferent to him. Along that line though I was left to wonder why he didn’t remember anything about himself from before the switch but at the end of the novel was able to know exactly where to go because of a boy scout trip he had been on when he was younger. Maybe an explanation was needed to say that they didn’t remember how they acted but they still had memories of things they had done.

While I did take issue with a few elements in The 13th Sign it was still a novel I enjoyed a lot and was able to devour in a single sitting. It’s a fast paced story that is rich in astrological history and even some Greek mythology sprinkled in for good measure.
Profile Image for Rabiah.
488 reviews216 followers
January 13, 2013
Originally posted at: http://iliveforreading.blogspot.com/2...

Whenever I'd flip through a magazine and come through the horoscope section, I would just look for my zodiac sign (Aquarius) and then continue flipping on. I never really looked into the mythology behind the zodiac, and The 13th Sign was definitely an interesting way to get introduced to it.
Initially, when I first started reading this book, it stalled for a little while, it was a little slow. I was at first also confused what was going on, but then BAM– everything picked up! I love the use of mythology in the modern world, like with the Percy Jackson series, and this was certainly no exception. It was fun, action-packed and very informative on the zodiac.

Even though the main characters were younger than I am, I still found myself connecting to them. I appreciated Jalen's vulnerability, it was just something that made her more human! I often find it odd when character's are just rush into action, waiting for danger to arrive, but of course, she's got that courage, sure, but she's also shown fear and even at one point, had given up. I, personally, would be freaked if I was in this situation and would probably curl up into a ball and wish it would end. I admire her bold nature and determination, and could empathize with her pain and sadness.
Ellie is Jalen's best friend and she's adorable! I love the complications that arise with her (you'll see when you read the book!), and she adds so much of that hilarious element to the novel. Her brother Brennan is also someone who's hilarious at times, and his change when the thirteenth zodiac is added is quite apparent, likewise with his sister. His personality is really different from the first impression we get of him, and it's just such a hilariously adventurous journey with these three!

I mentioned previously that it reminds me of the Percy Jackson series and there's another reason to that, other than modern mythology: the zodiac signs? They're totally like the gods! Each come up in random places, presenting a new challenge for Jalen and her friends. They're also present in different forms, so they just keep springing up everywhere! It's interesting to see how their attributes are portrayed in human form.
There's also a lot of information on each sign of the zodiac throughout this book. I learnt quite a lot about my own sign as well as some of the others, and it was cool to see the personality traits, the weaknesses, the flaws, etc. of each sign as well.

The setting of this novel is GORGEOUS. I've always wanted to go to New Orleans (Mardi Gras, hello?!), and this book really brought the landscape to life. I could imagine easily what it was like, how the city was laid out, and the cultures which are prominent in this fabulous city. The element of voodoo is something new to me in YA fiction and so I liked the culture and mythology associated with it added into this novel.

The 13th Sign is a novel which children, teens, and adults alike will enjoy. It's got action, humor and originality pouring out of the pages. Kristin O'Donnell Tubb has written a fabulous book, one which has both taught me so much, and had me flipping pages like mad. Definitely give this one a try– you won't regret it!

▪ ▪ ▪ Thank you so much to Kristin O'Donnell Tubb for providing a copy of The 13th Sign for review and BTS2013! ▪ ▪ ▪
Profile Image for Lizzy Lessard.
327 reviews88 followers
December 15, 2012
How much does your star sign affect your personality? According to the 13th Sign, it completely controls it. When Jalen unleashes the 13th zodiac sign, she changes the personality of everyone, including herself. This personality shift of all the characters did inhibit my ability to connect to the characters, as I wasn’t sure what they would do with the new personalities vs their old personalities. Ellie, Jalen’s best friend, is impersonated TOO well by Gemini, and the fact that Jalen couldn’t figure out who was who caused her to distance herself from Ellie. It’s a shame, because I liked both Ellie and her impostor. I’m not quite sure what was the point of Jalen constantly trying to figure out the real Ellie. It would work in a movie, but in a book where the two characters can change places, look identical, and there’s no possibility of inserting hints when the reader can’t keep visual track – it’s annoying.

The plot was very reminiscent of Percy Jackson, only the monsters and helpers didn’t seem to “happen” by any pattern. There was no buildup, in fact the pacing seemed to lag to the point of closing the book for good right before the next bad guy showed up. And then it was over too quickly and another boring spout of “will the real Ellie please stand up?” began. The helpers showed up as if the writer written herself into a corner…and it happened almost every chapter. Jalen and her friends weren’t able to solve anything on their own – unlike Percy Jackson and his friends.

I think this story would of been better as a series, and have Jalen vanquish only a couple a “monsters” in a book. Since she was running around trying to get from point A to point B and on a strict time limit, there wasn’t any room for subplots or character development. The story definitely did not live up to its potential.

(I received a copy of this book from the publisher/Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.)

Review to be posted on December 19th at Lizzy's Dark Fiction.
Profile Image for Brooks Benjamin.
Author 1 book151 followers
May 10, 2015
4.5 / 5

I had the pleasure of meeting Kristin at the 2013 Midsouth SCBWI conference. I was even luckier to get my copy of The 13th Sign signed by her.

So why do I like this book so much?

Tons of reasons!

1) The hook. The 13th Sign is a totally unique concept. Sure there are books out there dealing with the Zodiac, but this is the first one I've ever read about someone unlocking a thirteenth sign that throws the entire world out of zodiacal whack. I mean, come on! How cool is that? Answer: very cool.

2) The pacing. Kristin does an amazing job jumping into the action without sacrificing that emotional exposition that the reader needs to connect with the character. The MC, Jalen, transforms into a much needed heroine once the worldwide personality shifts occur. And it's at that moment when we discover the true awesomeness of the take-charge-and-kick-some-astrology Jalen.

3) The villains. Every amazing hero needs an equally amazing villain. This book has twelve. And they each come with their own strengths, weaknesses, and personalities. Kristin plugs a lot of humor into the manifestations of the signs, and the trials Jalen encounters with each one is pretty epic. I'm talking this-needs-to-be-a-movie-right-now level of epicosity.

4) The voice. Jalen's thirteen. She's going through some personal crap. Now she's unleashed a whole new astrological sign that turns the world on its head. And Kristin does a killer job of injecting those action packed moments of butt-kickery with some of the more emotional gems that make Jalen's thoughts, words, actions, and motivations so genuine and fun to read.

So should you pick this book up and read it for yourself? If you can answer yes to any of these questions, then I would say you totally should.

1. Do you enjoy fantasy?
2. Do you like mythology?
3. Do you dig astrology?
4. Do you love strong female characters?
5. Do you read books?

Question. Answered. You're welcome.

Happy reading!
Profile Image for Valia Lind.
Author 61 books356 followers
December 28, 2012
Reviewed on http://wordsareinnermusic.blogspot.co...

The 13th Sign is a story about Jalen, a girl who doesn’t believe in astrology, until one day when she makes a choice that changes the world around her. She discovers the 13th sign, altering the other twelve signs and the personalities that go with them. Soon she is in a race to save the world and stop the other twelve signs from taking over. With the help of some unlikely characters, Jalen set off on a journey like now other.
There were two things that surprised me about this book. First of all, for some reason I did not know this was a middle grade story. For some reason, from all I heard, I thought it was a YA. Second of all, this book, being a middle grade magical adventure was way shorter than I anticipated. Everything I’ve seen about this book points to it being a stand alone and that’s why I thought I would be longer. These two things really affected the way I read the book.
The characters were nice enough but I didn’t feel connected to any of them. I think part of this was the fact that the book was just one thing after the other, without much room for development. Seriously, the way Jalen and the gang were going it was hard to keep up. They were going battle to battle, leaving no room for a breather. I personally thing this book could’ve been better if maybe divided in two, or just a lot longer. I’m a big sucker for those character developments and when those are missing, the adventure part isn’t as fun.
It was a super quick read for me, but I really liked the story in general. Jalen and the other characters were likable and the idea behind the 13th signs was very interesting. I liked the different aspects of the astrology that were brought in. The elements of the story fit well together.
Profile Image for Lauren Thoman.
Author 1 book30 followers
January 14, 2023
I thought this book was a lot of fun. I honestly have never paid much attention to the Zodiac -- I couldn't even tell you any of the defining personality traits of my sign (Virgo) -- but as each of the signs manifested and challenged Jalen, I found their different personalities really interesting. I also loved the New Orleans setting (because who doesn't love a New Orleans setting?) and the non-stop action.

I did think some of the challenges Jalen faced were a bit easy, but given the intended audience, they were fitting. And I liked the "altered" version of some of the characters' personalities better than the original versions. Which...that could be a pro or a con, depending on your perspective. I enjoyed the creativity, the little puzzles Jalen had to solve, and just the overall charm of the book. There was just something fun and refreshing about it.

By far, my favorite thing about this book was the break-neck pace. It honestly had no good stopping point, which is why I read the whole thing in a day. The characters literally spend the entire book running and fighting. It's crazy.

If you want a fun and original fast-paced middle grade fantasy, this could be the book for you.

Profile Image for Tj Shay.
206 reviews
September 28, 2012
This is an extremely well crafted story that draws you in and doesn't let go. Traveling along with Jalen on this magical/mythical journey was great fun. There are so many facets to this story. Not only does the reader learn about characters and the things that take place inside their heads, but the reader will also imagine his/herself in the story and wondering how he/she might change if the zodiac were somehow shifted.

My favorite quote, "I used to think of Bourbon Street as a seedy, strange side of town. But seeing it lit up now, with hundreds of neon flashing lights in the pre-dusk, it looked magical, mysterious, a place where adventures happen." The reason it was my favorite quote is because I remember having that exact same feeling on Bourbon Street...and isn't that what great writers do, write in a way that you feel the same way the character does.

I can't say enough good things about this book.
Profile Image for Joyce Lansky.
29 reviews7 followers
January 20, 2013
The 13th Sign is a refreshingly novel idea for a story that is carried off with an abundance of action and intrigue. I love the way Kristin Tubb impersonated all of the zodiac signs in original and unpredictable ways while still keeping them true to their legends. Believing in horoscopes or not is irrelevant if the reader will allow the fantasy element of this story to lead the way. She also provided a surprise ending and a nice tie up to all of the unknowns in the novel. The book is strong with its inner and outer conflicts and engaging plot. I highly recommend this book for all children and children at heart.
Profile Image for Jeff Raymond.
3,092 reviews178 followers
April 24, 2013
Of the attempted YA trends, I didn't think the Zodiac would be one, but hey, why not, right?

The idea behind this one is deceptively simple: of the 12 Zodiac signs, there's a mysterious 13th one locked away that is accidentally unleashed. When that happens, it throws everything out of whack and it must be defeated to right everything again.

It's a very light, fluffy action title for teens and it gets the job basically done. It's not a long book, and it gets right to the point. Can't fault that at all.
Profile Image for Stephanie Faris.
Author 13 books89 followers
July 22, 2015
I don't know anything about the signs of the zodiac, so this book was a much-needed lesson into how all of that works. The story revolves around a young girl named Jalen, who discovers a 13th sign of the zodiac. When she unwittingly frees the 13th sign, she changes the personality of everyone on Earth. She must then go on a quest to restore order. If you love action/adventure, this is the book for you! Plus you'll learn more than you ever thought you could about the signs of the zodiac. I loved this book so much, I read it in just a couple of days.
Profile Image for Alisha Klapheke.
Author 41 books520 followers
May 13, 2014
I always loved checking my horoscope as a kid. This book taps right into the mystery and desire to categorize oneself during early teen years. Hot air balloon rides, New Orleans streets, and magic—who could ask for more? I loved it.
Profile Image for Jen Malone.
Author 16 books517 followers
September 15, 2015
So clever and full of awesome action- passing this right on to my twin boys who are huge Percy Jackson fans!
December 7, 2015
This was a super great book. I read this with a group of friends in fifth grade, and ended up skyping with the author. Loved it!
Profile Image for Harato.
13 reviews
January 26, 2023
I wasn't really hooked and I got bored most of the time but it was still good! I actually loved the small interactions that the gurl and the boy had hehe
Profile Image for Jo.
113 reviews2 followers
December 7, 2017
2.5 Stars

"Believing doesn't mean having all the answers -- just the opposite. Believing is having none of the answers and going forward anyway."

Overview:
The 13th Sign is a story about a thirteen-year-old girl named Jalen from New Orleans who (along with her best friend Ellie) accidentally unleashes the thirteenth sign of the zodiac. Jalen then has to defeat each zodiac sign to prove that she is worthy of the amazing healing powers that the thirteenth sign possesses. Oh yeah, and because there is now a new sign everyone's personality (and sometimes appearance?) has shifted to their new sign which throws the world into chaos.

I found the premise of this book to be unique and the writing style was pretty good, but the story read more like an action movie to me. I formed no attachment to the characters because the progression of the story moved along too quickly. It also took me forever to finish because I just was not invested in the story.

Pet Peeve:
I hate to be this person, but the 13th Sign is guilty of one of my severe pet peeves -- overuse of a character's name. Allow me to show you:

"Don't look like that, Jalen," Virgo said. "I mean, you've never even been kissed, have you?" The fire now blazed across my cheeks. Had she asked that in front of Brennan? "It's a compliment, Jalen. You still believe in true love. And it exists, Jalen. It does. Adult humans forget sometimes."

No one talks like this! It interrupts the flow of the story in a rather jarring way. I have never had a conversation where someone was speaking to me and used my name that often. Gah.

Praise:
I loved the description of New Orleans as the characters frantically ran around the city defeating zodiac signs. I have never been there but I love books about the deep south and it was really refreshing to read a young adult novel based in such a place.

Ending thought:
If you like the Percy Jackson series or are a younger reader, you may enjoy this book more than I did.
7 reviews
March 1, 2019
My book is The 13th sign by Kristin O'Donnell Tubb. Jalen, (main character) and her Nina always go to Madame Beausoleil to get their horoscopes read. This time however Nina was in the hospital so she couldn’t go but Jalen still went. She got her horoscope read and after that she found a book called The Keypers of The Zodiac. When they got home Jalen opened the book and she didn’t know but she changed all the people in the worlds zodiac signs so everyone had a personality change basically. She had also added a new zodiac sign, Ophiuchus. She found out by one of the zodiac sign keypers that she had to fight all the keypers of the zodiac to put the world back to normal. So she fought all the keypers and ended up setting the world back to normal.
This author of this book did many things to affect the reader by doing things like making you try and trust one of the keypers and then ending up telling you that the keyper was lying about something or was pretending they were someone when they weren't. The author also made you feel how Jalen or any of the other characters felt throughout the book and how upset they would get throughout this book.
I would recommend this book to anyone who’s into horoscopes and things like that because that is exactly what this book is about. I personally didn’t really enjoy this book because I’m not into these adventurous type books but if you are this would be a good book for you. The book wasn’t confusing or too hard to read. This book was fairly predictable though. I didn’t hate the ending of the book but it was very predictable. I did however like the author's style of writing in this book because it showed how everyone was feeling throughout the book and it made you feel like you were witnessing everything that was happening throughout the book.

- McKenna Flinn
Profile Image for Shelly Hammond.
1,676 reviews
June 16, 2018
'The 13th Sign' is a fun, action packed, unique story that has memorable characters and otherworldly adventures.
In this book, a girl (Jalen) intentionally but also unintentionally opens a book that brings about some very significant changes in the world. She brings Ophiuchus, the 13th sign, into play and everything changes. Bringing in this sign changes the birth signs of most people thus causing them to completely change their attitudes and thoughts. The change is immediate once that book is opened. The astrological signs all come to life and Jalen and her two friends, along with a fairly mysterious guide that comes and goes randomly, must now capture and release all these signs back to where they are meant to be. So much happens in this book and I don't want to spoil a single thing so I'll leave that part of the review as it is!
The author did a terrific job with her characters. They were all young and for the most part you were able to remember they were young by their thoughts and actions but they were also able to work through the tasks they were faced for the most part with maturity. The descriptions were great as well since the author had to describe a more physical type of astrology. You were able to get right in there with the story and read it rather quickly. There were some parts of the story that I thought might have been a little jumbled and confused but not to the point of tainting the book.
This is a good book and it can be enjoyed by all but I would say especially those that might be a little younger (13 or so). It's also not a very long book and reads smoothly enough that it doesn't take all that long to read. If you might feel at all interested then I would go with your instincts and read this book.
Profile Image for Marsha.
Author 2 books32 followers
December 3, 2018
I once stated that adventure stories usually start when someone breaks the rules. At bottom, this novel is a very basic type within this trope. Someone has unwittingly unleashed a terrible evil/danger/monster/fate and it’s up to our hero/ine to fix the mess that results. A team of stalwart companions is formed and they undertake a quest to mend matters BEFORE THE WORLD IS DOOMED.

Yes, this is the storyline we have here. But this novel takes a very unique turn. Astrology, that study followed by thousands yet disdained by everyone from scientists to the religious, takes center stage as a bunch of children try to return the 13th sign, Ophiuchus, to its proper place. Wow.

The author takes this clever and interesting premise and leads us and her heroine throughout the winding, crazy streets of New Orleans. We all get fascinating readings on the well-known 12 astrological signs—with one extra. Jalen’s 24-hour sojourn thrills, astonishes and enchants. For people who’ve never read much about The Big Easy (outside of Katrina), this book will give you a crash course in its mysteries and an awesome tale about one girl’s travels to self-knowledge and inner growth.

However, you have to take into account the fact that Jalen is only 13 years old. She makes quite a few mistakes, namely that she keeps getting taken in by the cheap illusions thrown her way. You’d think she’d take the hint after the first one but noooooo. She keeps falling for them and you want to bang your head on the table at her idiocy. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice—well, you know the drill.

It’s hard to believe this all takes place within one day but Ms. Tubb brings it all together. Whether you believe in astrology or not, this is a book as fabulous as it is unique.
November 27, 2018
I did not like this book, as my rating suggests. The characters were flat and dull, the action boring and the urgency was nonexistent. The battles happened too quick with little detail. At some point in the book, I couldn't continue. I felt like I was reading on of my own fanfictions from the third grade, only with better grammar.

There was no buildup, the beginning felt unrealistic and cliche, and the lack of danger was frustrating.

Jalen, the protagonist, didn't have much emotion. The author pushed the fact that she was 'different' than everybody else who shared her sign far too much. She didn't feel concerned for her friends, and she was embarrassingly gullible. I can't say much for the other characters - they didn't have much personality, to begin with. They were neat cardboard cut-outs of characters that seemed to have potential to be great, but greatly disappointed.

The plot had potential, seeing as it was new to the subgenre. But, once again, it fell short. The battles were boring and frustrating to read. The pacing was horrible, and the problems would have been easily solved if any of the characters were even remotely intelligent. Most of the subplots were horrendously done and weren't as interesting as they could have been. I somehow managed to read it to completion, but not before dozing off mid-way.

The book was too short, the characters and plot too unrealistic (even for a fantasy-esque book), and the action boring and inconclusive.

As somebody within the demographic the book aims to please, I cannot be more disappointed in how it turned out.
Profile Image for Michelle Beer.
164 reviews1 follower
February 28, 2017
Ever feel like your zodiac sign just doesn't seem to match with your real personality? Maybe that's because you have the wrong one. The 13th sign is a clever dive into just what the world might be like if an extra sign was thrown into the mix and how it would affect everyone. Granted it is a seriously exaggerated take on such a thing but, still, it's interesting nevertheless. Let's take a look, shall we?

The story is of a young girl New Orleans named Jalen Jones who is dealing with the stresses of her Nina (grandmother) being very sick. When she discovers a mysterious book entitled The Keypers of the Zodiack (their spelling, not mine) she accidentally unlocks the 13th zodiac sign, Ophiuchus the healer. All of a sudden, everybody's personalities have changed. People are picking up habits they didn't have before, things they could do before are now impossible, and they possess phobias for things that never used to bother them. On top of all this, the twelve zodiac signs have come to earth and are now trying to attack Jalen for disrupting the order. Jalen must now defeat the zodiac signs and return them to the heavens before the personality shift becomes permanent.

Like I said, this concept is pretty interesting and done very creatively. While being a very simple, quest-like story, each challenge is unique and clever. While some of the signs just try to attack Jalen, most of them come in the forms of tricks and puzzles. For instance, Gemini the twin makes a carbon copy of Jalen's best friend and she has to figure out which is her real friend and which is Gemini. Little touches like that keep the story interesting and the challenges are spaced out carefully so the story doesn't feel too rushed, even if the whole adventure takes place in the space of a single day.

I was worried, at first, if this would be a bumpy ride when it came to the characters. Jalen, at first, is very whiny and a bit self-centered. Thankfully, after the personality shift, she becomes much more driven and determined and someone I'm a little more willing to follow into this story. The whining doesn't always go away though, but then again she is dwelling on the fact that her grandmother is on death's door and dealing with her father's disappearance, so I can't really fault her for that. Her friends, a brother and sister pair named Brennan and Ellie, also become better after the personality swap and become useful characters who are nice to have around.

There are times when the story practically comes to a full stop while the characters read from The Keypers of the Zodiack in order to figure out how to defeat each sign. These pauses can come in the middle of tense situations and can kind of take away from the moment and be a bit distracting. There are also some villain-type characters that kind of come out of nowhere and don't really contribute anything except getting in the way and frankly I think the story could do without them. While the ending comes with a satisfying and honestly refreshing turn of events, it does kind of hang open, as if there's a possibility for a sequel. I kind of wish they hadn't done that as it's just fine as a stand-alone and doesn't need to carry the story any further. That and a few inconsistencies with the mythology behind the zodiac kind of annoyed me, but the story didn't focus on them so I didn't either.
Profile Image for Andrea.
94 reviews
April 7, 2019
I must admit, I had my doubt prior to getting this book. But, i did ended up buying it and definitely not regretting reading it. As a Saggitarian, I totally felt for the protagonist. Her indecisiveness, her pursuit to knowing why things are the way they are and her lack of self esteem. When I first heard of the 13th sign years ago, I was also desvastated of finding out I was supposed to be Ophiuchus. But reading this made me feel that it wont be that bad after all. Nevertheless whether you believe in Astrology or not and no matter what you sun-sign or even moon-sign you are, you will enjoy this read.
Profile Image for Miss Ratatootee.
47 reviews
December 6, 2020
This book made me believe that there is really a 13th Zodiac sign and then this sign is somewhat the reason why 2020 is like this.

I bought this book last year on Big Bad Wolf event and just read it last January. It scares me also because when pandemic started, I saw some posts in social media that there would be an official 13th sign and then I suddenly remembered this story and thought that what if one of the reasons why 2020 is like this because someone opened the forbidden book again.

But then again, I hope that that someone would find it as soon as possible to end this pandemic LOL.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 163 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.