Start by marking “Now We Are Six” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Now We Are Six

A.A. Milne

Now We Are Six (Winnie-the-Pooh #4)

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  16,793 Ratings  ·  309 Reviews
When We Were Very Young and Now We Are Six complete the four-volume set of deluxe editions of the Milne and Shepard classic works. Like their companions, the Winnie-the-Pooh 80th Anniversary Edition and The House At Pooh Corner, these beautiful books feature full-color artwork on cream-colored stock. The imaginative charm that has made Pooh the world’s most famous bear per ...more
Hardcover
Published September 1984 (first published 1927)

To ask other readers questions about Now We Are Six, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Now We Are Six

Kai
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“I wasn’t afraid,” said Pooh, said he, “I’m never afraid with you.”

Filed under Things I'll Read To My Children. Totally cute and funny.

Find more of my books on Instagram
Nandakishore Varma
Like When We Were Very Young, this is also a terrific compilation. I love it when an adult can see through a child's eyes without losing his "adult-ness". Milne's poetry is simple and beautiful, and his humour can be enjoyed by adults and children alike.

Christopher Robin and Winnie-the-Pooh need no introduction. Quite a few of the poems in this book are about the duo. Milne accomplishes the extraordinary feat of seeing from the realistic and make-believe viewpoint at the same time (something whi
Manny
Of all the knights in Appledore
The wisest was Sir Thomas Tom
He multiplied as far as four
And knew what nine was taken from
To make eleven. He could write
A letter to another knight.
Laura Verret
Now We Are Six is a collection of poetry by A. A. Milne and contains poems not only of Pooh Bear (who claims he was looking for Piglet and wandered through this book by mistake), but also of the Knight Whose Armor Didn’t Squeak, the Two little Bears, Alexander the Beetle, and bad King John.

Here is one of my favorite poems from this book.

Knight-in-Armour

Whenever I’m a shining Knight,
I buckle on my armour tight;
And then I look about for things,
Like Rushings-Out, and Rescuings,
And Savings from
Rebecca
Aug 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was very young, I eyed this book cautiously.
Six seemed immeasurably ancient. I feared being infected with age.

Photobucket
Daniel Schwabauer
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One is never too old for A. A. Milne.
Rose Heartfilia
So to make a short story long: a friend of my mother's, his mother died (may she rest in peace). And those people already had a lot of books so all the books of the mother are brought to them and they want to dispose of them, so he calls my mom, asking if I'm interested in books. Me assuming everything was in Dutch, I was not much up to it, but he told me that there were all sorts of books. So well why not, I came there expecting a few boxes with books, maximum up to 3 or so. There were seven of ...more
Rizal
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: favourite
This book is so beautiful with poems and illustrations. I can't help but to smile when I read poems that I can relate to when I was a little kid. Like collecting insects and tadpoles, rooting for a drop of rain on the window to finish 1st, or questioning a lot of silly things.

These are my favourites from this collection:
1. Solitude
10. Wind On The Hill
11. In The Dark
12. The End
Joey Woolfardis
Read as part of The Infinite Variety Reading Challenge, based on the BBC's Big Read Poll of 2003.

Some lovely poems and they were just as I imagine a child will mark his days by, but not very consistent.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Shop | Etsy
Rebecca McNutt
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books as a kid; I got a copy for my sixth birthday and I loved its unique illustrations, its vibrant poetry and its originality and imagination. Definitely a classic and a great book for children.
Jody
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-e-shelf
Sweet enough, but ultimately forgettable. Seems to be a fairly tenuous link to the Winnie-the-Pooh series, as I think he was mentioned in only two of the poems.

I'm certainly glad to have finished off the series, but this doesn't hold a candle to the first book.
Mathew
This selection, several years after 'When We Were Very Young' is even better. I took a liking to almost all the poems and admired the range of rhythm and rhyme that takes place. Again, Milne plays so much on using the form of poetry to reflect on Christopher's life and adventures and it works so well in terms of there being poems which reflect childhood - a lot like Rosen's early stuff. I'd certainly have a classroom copy and would want to share so many with the class.
Peter Jamieson
Apparently, this is a book for 6-year olds. It says it right there in the title. Yeah - but it's heart-felt, sincere and funny. Plus, wise. So I think everyone could give this book a go, whatever age you are.
Schuyler
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A charming collection of poetry exploring life through a child's eyes. Some childhood woes and joys you never forget, and this reminded me of many of them.
Alana
Most of these poems just feel like moments where a happy father watched with amused joy at his children playing, and trying to imagine what was going on in their heads -- and that's probably exactly what he WAS doing. It's like taking snapshots or video, except Milne did it in poetry and little imaginative stories.

The classic illustrations are delightful as well... Pooh Bear and company, kinds and queens and nights, Christopher Robin... they all just pop off the page.
Lisa
"I wasn't afraid" said Pooh, said he "I'm never afraid with you".
I find Pooh so poignant now that I am older. Reading it feels like a gentle hug for my hyperactive brain. It's like sinking into a warm bath after a full day on your feet.
It encourages me to stop, breathe and enjoy.
Such beautiful stories.
Andrea
Oct 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This book was so cute! At first I was disappointed that Pooh and his friends weren't the main characters, however, I was happy to see that, as A. A. Milne says in his forward, " (Pooh) walked through (the book) one day, looking for his friend Piglet, and sat down on some of the pages by mistake." Pooh's appearance in several poems was a pleasant surprise; however I did enjoy several of Milne's other poems that included other characters. This collection of poems was very fun to read, and I think ...more
Monique
So, my mom picked up this book while I was in the library, and when I got out, told me in so many words how boring this book was. I laughed and told her it had a few gems in it (like the excerpt below that I loved), but no excuses can be made; the first two books were definitely better, with everything. Poem books aren't Milne's strong point. The poems in the first two were weird but tolerable surrounded by the great writing, but standing alone, they fall flat.

Excerpt:
Sneezles

Christopher Robin
Ha
Salima Sikandar
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry

Now we are Six is written by A.A. Milne and illustrated by Ernest H. Shepard. The book is similar to the poetry books “When We were very Young”. The poem contains wonderful rhyming pattern and is very rhythmic which makes easy to relate and sound similar to nursery rhymes.
The pictures are very sweet and I liked the idea of the author how Pooh came into the story with, in his author’s notes, it reads "Pooh wants us to say that he thought it was a different book; and he hopes you won't mind, but
Mariela
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now we are six is a great children's poetry book. This book was written by the famous A.A. Milne for children in the ages of five to eight. This book contains a variety of great poems where everyone's favorite characters appear; Whine the Pooh, piglet, Christopher Robbin, and etc. I love this book because of the conversation that go on trough out the story with pooh and Christopher ribbon. I think this story would be a great story to use as an example of poetry. You could have your students recr ...more
Dusty
Jul 31, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dusty by: Imogene Ilchman
As a kid, I knew this book was part of Milne's Pooh series. It came with the other books, like the others it has pictures of Pooh, Piglet and Chrisopher Robin on the cover, yet ... I can't say it's a book I retained a clear memory of. Turns out, it's poetry.

Some of the poems are quite good in a clever and didactic way ("The Old Sailor"). Others are clever and weird in a Lewis Carroll way ("Sneezles"). And the rest ... are not too much better than what you'd get from a class of nostalgic junior
Bethany
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charming, sweet, and memorable. My poor deprived A.A.Milne-less childhood has been redeemed.

This is poetry to remember and memorize and enjoy again and again. And also to pass on to others. I think half the delight of this book is added by the incredible drawings. So read it. And enjoy. And share with others, small and big alike. It's that kind of book. :)
Cruth
Author: A A Milne
Illustrator: E H Shepard
First Published: 1927

Why don't we read more poetry? The 7yo loved this, even if some concepts (eg Nanny) are dated.

Beautifully illustrated with rhythmic verse that exposes the beauty of language.

Highly recommended.

Age:
Read aloud: 3+
Read yourself: 7+

-CR-
Beth Mathison
Feb 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book as a gift on my sixth birthday. Love it -- still have it. A classic for any child.
Petya Kokudeva
С прекрасните илюстрации на Ърнест Шепард:)
Ellis
Oct 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I liked some of the poems, loved others but then again some were kind of just there.
Carla
After reading this book of children's poetry, Anna frequently asks "Mommy, can you read us some poetry while we finish our lunch?" I think that means she likes it :)
Baranie
My older kids really enjoy poetry and this book has nicer subjects for my 6 and 8 year old than some of the Shel Silverstein poems.
Becci
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My mum bought this for me for my sixth birthday... and I still have it - I still read it every now and then...
Sweet, amusing... reliable poetry to bring back all those memories...
Thao Le
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“NOW WE ARE SIX (WINNIE-THE-POOH #6)” (DVD): is a collection of poetry after "When We Were Very Young" several years and it is even improved by A. A. Milne. It contains many poems not only for Pooh (who are looking for Piglet) but it also for other characters as King John, Alexander the Beetle, ... "(Pooh) walked through (the book) one day, looking for his friend Piglet, and sat down on some of the pages by mistake." At first I felt disappoint when the main character of the book were not Pooh Be ...more
Goodreads Librari...: combine editions 3 11 Dec 09, 2017 10:20AM
101 Books to Read...: Winnie-the-Pooh 04 - Now We Are Six 1 3 Sep 09, 2017 08:49PM
  • The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher
  • Paddle-to-the-Sea
  • Fifty Famous Stories Retold
  • A Kiss for Little Bear (An I Can Read Book) by Minarik, Else Holmelund [1984]
  • Haunted House
  • A Lion in the Meadow (Picture Puffin)
  • The Snowman
Alan Alexander Milne (pronounced /ˈmɪln/) was an English author, best known for his books about the teddy bear Winnie-the-Pooh and for various children's poems.

A. A. Milne was born in Kilburn, London, to parents Vince Milne and Sarah Marie Milne (née Heginbotham) and grew up at Henley House School, 6/7 Mortimer Road (now Crescent), Kilburn, a small public school run by his father. One of his teac
More about A.A. Milne...

Winnie-the-Pooh (5 books)
  • Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1)
  • The House at Pooh Corner (Winnie-the-Pooh, #2)
  • When We Were Very Young (Winnie-the-Pooh, #3)
  • Winnie-the-Pooh and the Royal Birthday
“But now I am six. And I'm clever as clever. And now I think I'll stay six now forever and ever.” 131 likes
“When I was One,
I had just begun.
When I was Two,
I was nearly new.
When I was Three
I was hardly me.
When I was Four,
I was not much more.
When I was Five, I was just alive.
But now I am Six, I'm as clever as clever,
So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever.”
48 likes