Start by marking “Taking Theology to Youth Ministry” as Want to Read:
Taking Theology to Youth Ministry

Taking Theology to Youth Ministry

Even if you know you’re called to youth ministry and are passionate about the students in your group, you’ve probably had a few of those moments when you’ve wondered why you’re doing certain things in your ministry, or wondered why you’re even doing youth ministry in the first place.

If you’ve ever stopped to ask, “What’s the point of youth ministry?” …

In Taking Theology to
Published August 25th 2012 by Zondervan (first published August 14th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Taking Theology to Youth Ministry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taking Theology to Youth Ministry

Start your review of Taking Theology to Youth Ministry
Kristen
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I think this book is pretty good! It helped me to stop and think about my own articulation of the purpose of my ministry. I appreciate the questions at the end of the book that help me to think through the content more intentionally. In true Andy Root style, it dwells a lot in the pain and suffering of life (Theology of the Cross stuff) and misses out on the other side of that coin - God's action in joy.
Jeremy Serrano
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Gavin Richardson
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved the narrative approach. Made it so much more accessible to this theology non-academic.
Annie Beckstrand
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A short, stirring read. In just a few pages Root labels the tensions many feel within youth ministry. Some scenarios were so real that I laughed out loud in a form of relief to hear them articulated. It chronicles the beginning of a “theological turn” and the tension that arises with this is modern day ministry demands. The way that root used Exodus and the burning bush to highlight revelation, God’s action, and God’s mystery was unheard of for me.

Only reason why not 5 stars is some of Root’s
Tom
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The first in a four book series entitled, "A Theological Journey through Youth Ministry." Andrew Root has written a number of great books, but this series might be his most promising in terms of reach and impact. I say this because of how Root couches his theological perspective through the eyes of a fictional youth worker, Nadia, and her story. I've heard and read a lot of Root's theological content, but I was impressed by how well the narrative style here allowed the theology to strike me in ...more
Dustin Tramel
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I learn something new every time I read this book. Great reminder that youth pastors are not support staff or babysitters. A youth pastor isn't called to do all the ministry but to assist the people of God in doing the ministry. It's not the job of a youth pastor to wire young people with faith. It's not their job to pass on faith to the youth. This is the job of the whole congregation. A youth pastor works in partnership with the whole church to lead the congregation to welcome, integrate, and ...more
James
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am neither a youth minister or the son of a youth minister, but I appreciate the work of Andrew Root and think his writings are broadly applicable to pastoral ministry in general. This is the first of four short narratives about Nadia, a youth-worker that discovers her role as local theologian in the midst of the demands of youth ministry (from her pragmatic boss, parents that want her to do missions and parents who want her to entertain her kids).

Nadia discovers her calling as a youth
Lance
Oct 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Easy read. I had Andy in class so much of his theology was transparent to me. I liked the premise of the book: Theology mixed with a young youth director putting theology to work with students any youth director will recognize. All the theology is footnoted so you can dig deeper if you want. I liked it as I am actively engaged in youth ministry.
Marc Vandersluys
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Some great foundation-setting thoughts. Encouraging and helpful largely because it confirmed my own prior thoughts. Of course, I'm always on the lookout for practical advice and alas this book does not provide it. That's not a bad thing per se.
James
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
An approach to youth ministry that is refreshing and encouraging.

Written in a narrative approach, this book is not a chore to read, but it is easily digestible.

Paul Seville
May 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Some good stories and well-reasoned arguments, not much good theology.
JD Mechelke
Dec 10, 2013 rated it liked it
His main point is very good and he is very persuasive for the main point but every thing else in the book....he rambles a lot and he really needs some topic sentences.
Aaron
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Lead Small
  • Creating a Lead Small Culture: Make Your Church a Place Where Kids Belong
  • You Are What You Love: The Spiritual Power of Habit
  • How to Lead When You're Not in Charge: Leveraging Influence When You Lack Authority
  • The Way of the Fight
  • Shepherding the Multi-Ethnic Church
  • The 9 Arts of Spiritual Conversations: Walking alongside People Who Believe Differently
  • Loveology: God. Love. Marriage. Sex. And the never-ending story of male and female.
  • Death by Meeting: A Leadership Fable...about Solving the Most Painful Problem in Business
  • Nothing to Lose, Everything to Gain: How I Went from Gang Member to Multimillionaire Entrepreneur
  • Tools of Titans: The Tactics, Routines, and Habits of Billionaires, Icons, and World-Class Performers
  • Discernment: Reading the Signs of Daily Life
  • The Road Back to You: An Enneagram Journey to Self-Discovery
  • The Trinity and the Kingdom
  • Celtic Daily Prayer: Book One: The Journey Begins (Northumbria Community)
  • With: Reimagining the Way You Relate to God
  • The Infographic Bible
  • Practicing Passion: Youth and the Quest for a Passionate Church
Andrew Root joined Luther Seminary in 2005 as assistant professor of youth and family ministry. Previously he was an adjunct professor at Wesley Theological Seminary, Washington D.C., and Princeton Theological Seminary, Princeton, N.J.

Root received his bachelor of arts degree from Bethel College, St. Paul, Minn., in 1997. He earned his master of divinity (2000) and his master of theology (2001)