Start by marking “A Theology of Luke and Acts: God's Promised Program, Realized for All Nations” as Want to Read:
A Theology of Luke and Acts: God's Promised Program, Realized for All Nations

A Theology of Luke and Acts: God's Promised Program, Realized for All Nations

This groundbreaking work by Darrell Bock thoroughly explores the theology of Luke s gospel and the book of Acts. In his writing, Luke records the story of God working through Jesus to usher in a new era of promise and Spirit-enablement so that the people of God can be God s people even in the midst of a hostile world. It is a message the church still needs today. Bock both ...more
Published June 10th 2012 by Zondervan Academic (first published May 8th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Theology of Luke and Acts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Theology of Luke and Acts

Start your review of A Theology of Luke and Acts: God's Promised Program, Realized for All Nations
Craig Hurst
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Last year, under the editorial direction of Andreas Kostenberger, Zondervan began the Biblical Theology of the New Testament Series. The first installment was Kostenberger's contribution A Theology of John's Gospel and Letters. The BTNT series seeks to provide a biblical theology of the entire NT in eight volumes with a biblical/thematic approach.

This year the next volume is A Theology of Luke and Acts by well known Luke commentator Darrell Bock. Darrell Bock has written a few other books on
Jeff Short
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Bock takes the Lukan books together and traces major themes throughout the two books. The continuity shows Luke and Acts to truly be a two volume work. The book has brief sections at the beginning providing concise commentary and then most of the book is arranged topically, bringing together references from both books that contribute to the topic at hand. It is a helpful book for studying either Luke or Acts separately, or both books together.
Ethan Ross
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
not a bad read, i think it went really well with my class discussions and offered insight that i may not have usually considered
Abram K-J
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I reviewed this book as part of Zondervan's blog tour of A Theology of Luke and Acts. Blog tour participants each select a chapter on which to focus their review, i.e., a major theological theme.

I focus my review on chapter 16, "How Response to Jesus Divides: The Opponents, the Crowds, and Rome as Observer of Events in Luke-Acts." But first, the book more generally.

A Theology of Luke and Acts consists of three parts. Part One briefly addresses introductory matters (context, unity of Luke-Acts,
Jimmy Reagan
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Respected scholar Darrell Bock delivers in this volume on his topic of the theology of Luke and Acts. Mr. Bock, already hailed as having given us the best modern exegetical commentary on Luke, writes on a subject here he has given many years of his life to study.

You will find all the usual suspects on the study of Luke and Actsthe connection of Luke and Acts, salvation, Christ, the Holy Spirit, women, and the poor. But theres more. Things I hadnt thought much of in regards to Luke and Acts, all
Tim Liddell
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great lots of good explanations

I think I'll go back and re-read some chapters.I still need 11 words this is dumb why can't I just submit
Prayson Daniel
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it

Darrell Bock, I believe, adequately and successively presented Lucan Christology. His chapter is a treasure mine for those who are passionate about Christology.

Luke consciously reveals who Jesus is with a step by step approach writes Bock, gradually connects a series of ideas into a coherent portrait of Jesus with his from earth up Christology(p. 177).

Jesus is portrayed as the Son and King (Luke 1:31-35), the One who divides Israel (Luke 2:34-35), a King and Servant who declares and brings Gods
Josh
Dec 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: scripture
A significant work of scholarship. At times I felt the writing style could have been improved, and I disagree with certain aspects of Bock's eschatology, but on the whole this is a very valuable work for understanding Luke and Acts. I'll be referring back to this one as we preach through the book of Luke.
Jordan
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent book that only gets 4 stars because I personally didn't like the way it was organized. It is done in a more topical way than a chronological order, though to be fair, I'm not sure how else you would do it.
Chris Land

• Native Son
  • Confessions
  • Enjoy your prayer life
  • Brothers, We Are Not Professionals: A Plea to Pastors for Radical Ministry
  • But God, Wouldn't I Be More Useful to You If I Were Healthy? (Chronic Pain and the Christian Life)
  • Just Show Up: The Dance of Walking through Suffering Together
  • Unceasing Kindness: A Biblical Theology of Ruth
  • Revelation
  • The Power of His Reign: An Easy Introduction to Amillennialism
  • The Art of Neighboring: Building Genuine Relationships Right Outside Your Door
  • Sons (House of Earth, #2)
  • A Sweet and Bitter Providence: Sex, Race, and the Sovereignty of God
  • Ordinary: How to Turn the World Upside Down
  • The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists
  • Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves (Jeeves, #13)
  • Historical Theology: An Introduction to Christian Doctrine: A Companion to Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology
  • Christ and the Law: Antinomianism at the Westminster Assembly (STUDIES ON THE WESTMINSTER ASSEMBLY)
  • Jesus Skeptic: A Journalist Explores the Credibility and Impact of Christianity
Darrell L. Bock is a New Testament scholar and research professor of New Testament studies at Dallas Theological Seminary in Dallas, Texas, United States. Bock received his PhD from Scotland's University of Aberdeen.

News & Interviews