Start by marking “Practicing Peace in Times of War” as Want to Read:
Practicing Peace in Times of War

Practicing Peace in Times of War

With war and violence flaring  all over the world, many of us are left feeling vulnerable and utterly helpless. In this book Pema Chödrön draws on Buddhist teachings to explore the origins of aggression, hatred, and war, explaining that they lie nowhere but within our own hearts and minds. She goes on to explain that the way in which we as individuals respond to challenges ...more
Published August 29th 2006 by Shambhala (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Practicing Peace in Times of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Practicing Peace in Times of War

Jenny (Reading Envy)
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I downloaded this one of those times Hoopla told me I still had downloads left that month and I felt compelled to use them. I have enjoyed previous books by Pema Chödrön, particularly When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times. This interested me because it was narrated by her. Well, that's what I thought but in actuality this originated in audio, a series of teachings she gave at Grace Cathedral in San Francisco during a program held in 2004. I understand they have been transcribe ...more
Kivrin Engle
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Practicing Peace was previously published under the title, Practicing Peace in Times of War. I did not know this when I started reading this tiny beauty of a book, but as I've read the previous title, it soon became apparent, because I have memorized much of it! Each time I read it, I am always reminded of one of Yogi Bhajan's mantras on peace, that I know by heart, "Peace unto me, Peace within me, Peace in my mind, Peace in my surroundings, Peace to all, Peace to the Universe. May there be peac ...more
Jean Marie Angelo
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Pema Chödrön wasn't always Pema Chödrön. She embraced Buddhism and her Buddhist name after living as a married woman and school teacher. When her husband announced he wanted a divorce, she flew into rage and grief. But that led to a search for a better way to live. She is now an honored author, Buddhist nun, and teacher.

This short, small book about practicing peace is based on her human experience, and the reactions and human traits we all share.

Many points of wisdom here. I list here just a few
Lisa
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, excellent, teeny tiny book. I got if from the library but had to buy one. I will buy it for lots of people too. It's simple (but not really), short and tremendously helpful. I am not really doing the book justice with this review. I love all kinds of spiritual books but had not really read anything Buddhist. This would be helpful to anyone from any faith.
Kay
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best. So tiny, but my companion in the middle of the night, again again and again. Just a few essential practices ... enough to build a life on.
Caitlin
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of the 12-step program slogans is "fake it til you make it." I think that's my approach with Pema Chodron and my ongoing quest to become more centered and sane. This is the third or fourth book I've ready by her (thankfully, she has many more) and I have not even attempted to establish any kind of meditation practice. Still, the way she frames her ideas and Buddhist concepts makes me reexamine my habitual approaches and patterns of thinking and reacting. There is no end game here. Just readi ...more
Shelli
This is a series of four talks given by American Buddhist nun Pema Chödrön at Grace Cathedral in San Francisco during a program held in 2004. The fundamental takeaway is one that will not be at all surprising to Buddhist practitioners or those familiar with the teachings, but might be unexpected to others: not only is working with one's own mental/psychological/emotional aggression a necessary prerequisite for bringing about peace in a war-torn world, but is in fact one and the same undertaking. ...more
Tommy
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A short (100 pages) reminder that peace on a societal scale begins with a sense of peace within ourselves. The teaching here, however, is not to find some state of inner bliss. Instead, it's about getting comfortable with suffering, with uncertainty, and with insecurity. This book offers a gentle instruction on how to stay with those things that make us uneasy so that we can build up a sense of compassion for ourselves, then extend that to others, who are also invariably dealing with their own d ...more
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was AMAZING! If you are considering reading either "The Anatomy of Peace" or "Leadership and Self Deception" take the shortcut and read this instead. It covers all the same concepts but in a much more concise and direct manner. It also includes, in my opinion, insights that are much more deep and relatable. I would recommend this book in a heartbeat to anyone! Don't be deceived by the size there's a lot in there!
Jenna Amundson
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my most favorite short books I've ever read. I asked myself this question last night. How do I personally practice peace and bring that to the world at large? I realized I had a book that might answer some of the question. So I read it. And so should you. Pema Chodron is a Buddhist nun and has much wisdom we can learn from.
Jen
Feb 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
She is just amazing - not just because she is so wise and insightful but also because she has the strength and confidence to admit where she stumbles in her journey. I sure would love to go to Gampo Abbey and get to see the wisdom of this place in person!
MJ
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you are filled with angst regarding the recent presidential elections, this is a book for you. It helps to put things into perspective and I'll need to read it several times to perhaps learn how to regain my cool. I'm off to breathe.
Misneach
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Know that feeling of doom you get after reading news after news, of tragedy, of violence, and so on; when you get home and feel like your world is crumbling because you won't be able to make ends meet this month or the next; that feel you get when you see people so full of hatred attacking others as if it's a skill to hone?

Probably all of us do, and that's kind of what this book addresses, at least for me, and tries to help you with.

What I like about the author's books is that they are meant fo
Kelly Brill
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I discovered Gampo Abbey in Nova Scotia on my summer vacation and so wanted to read more about Buddhism, and was especially curious about Pema Chodron. This book could serve as devotional reading and is short enough to be almost like a long read magazine article. I’m glad I read a basic book about Buddhism first. This book helps you think about how your practice of inner peace can help create more peace throughout the world. As she says, “If we want there to be peace in the world, we have to be ...more
Debs
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful little book that's really focused and easily digestible. Funny story - I was reading it on public transit where it was very crowded. If I recall correctly, I had just finished a section on having compassion for the self, and for others when it comes to making mistakes when we're trying to do our best. I suddenly felt a huge wave of compassion and connectedness wash over me and I looked at everyone around me new eyes, realizing that we were all on the same team. And....then I walked o ...more
Withme
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
"It takes bravery to train in unconditional friendliness, it takes bravery to train in "suffering with", it takes bravery to stay with pain when it arises, and not run or erect barriers. It takes bravery to not bite the hook and get swept away."

"...don't act out, don't repress, but let the experience pierce your heart."

Two things I needed to hear today after months of having a rough time at work. A brief but powerful (and quotable!) book. I liked the notion of 'seeds of aggression burning away'
Therry
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Chödrön's discussions related to patience and sitting with moments in moments of conflict are useful and helpful. I understand the usefulness of the principles when shenpa is happening due to variances in perspectives and opinions. However, I had difficulty with grasping how to practice compassionate abiding in situations where someone is physically violating or harming you. I'm curious to learn about suggested approaches for moments where one is experiencing impending or actual physical harm.
Quinn Selby
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
There other magnificent pieces of literature along the lines of this book. This one specifically didnt stand out like others did upon reading it.

But I am nevertheless happy to have bought it as another addition to my spiritual readings.

I hope others ascertain a degree of insight from this!

Love to all on this beautiful day: today.
Kristin
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My aunt gave me this book and I put off reading it...but things have been really hard lately and I picked it up out of curiosity. It's written in a manner that makes the concepts easy to grasp and use. I meant to read a couple pages, and I read the whole book (it's not long). It's what I needed to hear.
Odin
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an instant favorite for me. Pema's writing is lucid, simple, and what little "jargon" she uses does the opposite of detract from her message or make me feel pressured into believing in the extent of Buddhism. I strongly recommend this to anyone who needs a pocket-sized reminder in how to be kinder to theirself.
Ylani
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love that if you have the chance you're able to read this book in a day. Adjusting your thoughts is never easy when you come across difficult moments, but this book gives you hope. Would love to keep rereading when I need positive reminders.
Diane Scholten
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
What a timely book - my goodness we ALL need this in these most perilous times. Pure Pema - Buddhism made accessible for American secular readers, without diluting it's essence. A great book.
Anita
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A thin, small book. Not my favorite Pema book. Oh well.
Elizabeth
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Theres some calm, simple, straightforward suggestions here for practicing "unhooking" from intense emotional responses in the moment, and for practicing compassion for self and others.
Bryan
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent short book on practical skills you can use to develop personal peace, no matter what is going on around you.
Vianne Tiffany
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very thought provoking. Clear, concise and profound in a tiny treasure of a book.
Connie Oden
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and packed with practical ideas for how to actually practice peace on a daily basis.
Summer
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very short little book to keep your head on straight.
Brian Barnett
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Short and simple, but accurate and important.
Abz
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
100 pages of therapy. read it in 40 minutes. to say this book is timely is an understatement. as always, Pema Chodron, writes a book that goes straight to my heart.
  • Love in Action: Writings on Nonviolent Social Change
  • Walking Meditation [With CD and DVD]
  • Journey Without Goal: The Tantric Wisdom of the Buddha
  • One City: A Declaration of Interdependence
  • Indestructible Truth: The Living Spirituality of Tibetan Buddhism
  • Ruling Your World: Ancient Strategies For Modern Life
  • Becoming Enlightened
  • Peace Is the Way: Bringing War and Violence to an End
  • The Great Path of Awakening: The Classic Guide to Lojong, a Tibetan Buddhist Practice for Cultivating the Heart of Compassion
  • The Hundred Thousand Songs of Milarepa
  • Faith: Trusting Your Own Deepest Experience
  • Dragon Thunder: My Life with Chogyam Trungpa
  • What Makes You Not a Buddhist
  • Pay Attention, for Goodness' Sake: Practicing the Perfections of the Heart--The Buddhist Path of Kindness
Ani Pema Chödrön (Deirdre Blomfield-Brown) is an American Buddhist nun in the Tibetan tradition, closely associated with the Kagyu school and the Shambhala lineage.

She attended Miss Porter's School in Connecticut and graduated from the University of California at Berkeley. She taught as an elementary school teacher for many years in both New Mexico and California. Pema has two children and three g
“When you open yourself to the continually changing, impermanent, dynamic nature of your own being and of reality, you increase your capacity to love and care about other people and your capacity to not be afraid. You're able to keep your eyes open, your heart open, and your mind open. And you notice when you get caught up in prejudice, bias, and aggression. You develop an enthusiasm for no longer watering those negative seeds, from now until the day you die. And, you begin to think of your life as offering endless opportunities to start to do things differently.” 180 likes
“What I'm advocating here is something that requires courage — the courage to have a change of heart. The reason this requires courage is because when we don't do the habitual thing, hardening our heart and holding tightly to certain views, then we're left with the underlying uneasiness that we were trying to get away from. Whenever there's a sense of threat, we harden. And so if we don't harden, what happens? We're left with that uneasiness, that feeling of threat. That's when the real journey of courage begins. This is the real work of the peacemaker, to find the soft spot and the tenderness in that very uneasy place and stay with it. If we can stay with the soft spot and stay with the tender heart, then we are cultivating the seeds of peace” 2 likes