Start by marking “Noble Heart: A Self-Guided Retreat on Befriending Your Obstacles” as Want to Read:
Noble Heart: A Self-Guided Retreat on Befriending Your Obstacles

Noble Heart: A Self-Guided Retreat on Befriending Your Obstacles

You can't get away from suffering. That's the good news, teaches Pema ChAdrAn. For at the core of your most painful experiences-perhaps more than anywhere else-you will find the seeds of your awakening. On Noble Heart, this bestselling author and Tibetan Buddhist nun shows you how vulnerability is our greatest spiritual resource amid life's difficulties. Using special medi ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published November 1st 2004 by Sounds True (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Noble Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Noble Heart

Valerie
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the most comprehensive series of Pema Chodron's lectures that I've heard so far. So much is covered that I am ready to start at the beginning again. Loved it.
Brian
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Pema Chodron is awesome because I find her relatable as a Westerner (I'm American), unlike some Buddhist authors like Thich Nhat Hanh or the Dalai Lama who grew up in an Eastern culture and who were raised in a monastic tradition. Pema grew up in the US. She has married, divorced, worked as a school teacher, and she has children and grandchildren. When she talks about the struggles she has experienced -- the distractions, the angers, and the self-critical thoughts -- they are things I can relate ...more
Danielle Morrill
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Guided meditation and teachings combining lessons from Buddhism and Zen. I used the chapters for morning sessions, and this is the most I've ever learned about these lessons and traditions. Combined with journaling, it was like my own private retreat. Will go back to these again, way deeper than what you get from a meditation app.
Dominic Gadoury
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Pema is an amazing speaker and writer who gives lots of great down to earth and meaningful lessons to consider. I could listen to her all day.
MaryJohanna
Another great series of talks by Pema Chodron in 12 parts, including guided meditation practice.
Erinn Batykefer
This is set up as a "self-guided retreat," so Pema's teaching narration is interspersed with mostly-silent guided meditations. Not an ideal set up for how I consume audiobooks, but still an interesting (and quick) listen. It's the first Pema Chodron book I've read, and I liked her humor and accessibility.

Maggie
Mar 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
thank you, Becky, for recommending this (yet another) excellent book by Pema. wow.
Alexi Parizeau
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great commentary and practice. Also found the insights to be very well explained.
Fred
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Simply brilliant!
Elizabeth
Nov 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I listened to this during my commutes. It's fine, but not as good as Things Fall Apart.
Carrie Ridgeway
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Pema Chodrun's voice is so calming. I enjoyed this book.
P Newman
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Insight like a flashlight beam through fog. Non rigid, helpful guidance toward better awareness. There is more in it each time I hear it. Cant recommend highly enough.
Loretta
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Clear and profound. I will be listening to this one again, and I suspect again and again after that. A lot of wisdom here.
Misty
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Precious. I've listened to the Audible version at least 4 times. Permanent Chodron's voice is so soothing, so non judgmental. Her teachings have made me a better person.
Nancy
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Can't really get into this thru the audio book version. Too much explaining, qualifying, etc. The message may be there, but I can't sycn with her on the delivery.
Xavier
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"No big deal. About the one who's doing it.
No big deal about the action.
And no big deal about the outcome."
Wilma Rebstock
Sep 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Pema Chodron makes difficult concepts attainable (I hope). At least they are much easier to understand. Even so, one feels the need to read and reread!
Elizabeth
Apr 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
from the library
I managed to listed to this even thought the tapes were beyond listening to. I will have to get this some other way.
Debbe
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love to read Pema Chodron.
Mark
Mar 08, 2013
Helen
Nov 13, 2018
Mellow
rated it did not like it
Sep 21, 2012
Patty
Feb 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • You're It! On Hiding, Seeking, and Being Found
  • The Experience of Insight: A Simple & Direct Guide to Buddhist Meditation (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
  • Joyful Path of Good Fortune: The Complete Buddhist Path to Enlightenment
  • Healing Anger: The Power of Patience from a Buddhist Perspective
  • Faith: Trusting Your Own Deepest Experience
  • Transformation and Healing: Sutra on the Four Establishments of Mindfulness
  • In Buddha's Kitchen : Cooking, Being Cooked, and Other Adventures at a Meditation Center
  • The Journey Into Yourself
  • The Depression Book: Depression as an Opportunity for Spiritual Growth
  • Turning the Mind Into an Ally
  • Radical Self-Acceptance: A Buddhist Guide to Freeing Yourself from Shame
  • The Roots of Buddhist Psychology
  • Introduction to Scientology Ethics
  • God: The Evidence: The Reconciliation of Faith and Reason in a Postsecular World
  • The Jewel Tree of Tibet: The Enlightenment Engine of Tibetan Buddhism
  • Great Eastern Sun: The Wisdom of Shambhala
  • Don't Believe Everything You Think: Living with Wisdom and Compassion
  • At Home in the Muddy Water: A Guide to Finding Peace Within Everyday Chaos
Ani Pema Chödrön (Deirdre Blomfield-Brown) is an American Buddhist nun in the Tibetan tradition, closely associated with the Kagyu school and the Shambhala lineage.

She attended Miss Porter's School in Connecticut and graduated from the University of California at Berkeley. She taught as an elementary school teacher for many years in both New Mexico and California. Pema has two children and three g