Start by marking “Bodhisattva Mind: Teachings to Cultivate Courage and Awareness in the Midst of Suffering” as Want to Read:

A bodhisattva is one who seeks liberation from suffering not only for themselves, but for all beings. If you were a bodhisattva, how would you respond in the face of chaos and difficulty? Is it possible to find calm in the middle of a storm?

On Bodhisattva Mind, Pema Ch�dr�n explores timeless insights and practices from the teachings of an eighth-century Buddhist classic,
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published September 1st 2006 by Sounds True

To ask other readers questions about Bodhisattva Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bodhisattva Mind

Start your review of Bodhisattva Mind: Teachings to Cultivate Courage and Awareness in the Midst of Suffering
Cynthia
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So far, Pema Chodron can do no wrong. I am finding her workshops very useful and thought provoking. Each is slightly different from the other, yet reinforce each other in useful ways. I am just picking what's available and moving from one to the other, so I appreciate that these ideas feel so seamless. In this, she has members of the workshop read ancient teachings, and she humorously helps us update some of the admonitions, with reminders about how some translations can emphasize aspects that ...more
Loretta
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I always find gems in Pema's books. I started with reading them, years ago, but I am coming to really appreciate the audio books. This, like Noble Heart, isn't really a "book" - it's talks from a retreat, including Q and As. The warmth and wisdom comes through so clearly, as does the sense of a real person who has really struggled with all of these issues. I will come back to this one again, and again, I am sure.
Ekta
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Blew my mind! Helped me deepen my meditation practice and go deeper into texts. Highly recommend this! It's so easy to read. I have also listening to it on Audible. I prefer the Audible version, but both are great!
Amanda
May 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved the audio book. First I've read/heard Pema Chodron, and I will definitely want to read some more of her work.
Jeremy
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it

This is a recorded teaching on chapter 5 of the Shantideva. I have always loved the saying, Instead of trying to cover the earth with leather, put on some sandals. Or put another way, Where could I find enough leather to cover the whole earth? But I can always find enough to cover my own two feet and thereby travel safely. This is such a great metaphor for working with the mind and an important reminder for me that happiness really is between the ears.

I learned something from this that I had not
Daniel
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Pema writes two books in many forms. One is about the basics of meditation, lojong, and tonglen and how those ideas can be used in daily life. The other is about Shantideva and his monumental work, The Way of the Bodhisattva: A Translation of the Bodhicharyavatara and how those ideas can be used in daily life. She's written dozens of books at this point if you include her lectures and yet they always end up being one or the other. Both are good, but this one falls into the latter category.
Jo-ann Albano
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this audiobook. I read this before the coronavirus hit and feel like the information really helped increase my coping skills. I love Pema's approach to getting us to understand compassion and the Bodhisattva mind. I would highly recommend this reading - especially now if you are suffering with the topics of stay at home, fear of the virus, etc.
Translator Monkey
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent audio program for anyone interested in Mahayana teachings, in particular the Bodhisattva concept. One I'll revisit frequently.
Penny
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great audio retreat from Pema looking at Shantidevas teaching on the path of the Bodhisattva.
Victoria Manning
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a good Pema book. She made a difficult text come alive. Her sense of humor is delightful. Is a good reference for the Bodhisattva in training.
Stacey Slager
I need to listen to this again. This program has such rich content.
Peter Kahn
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: growth
Really useful commentary of a small section in a Buddhist text. Many practices and approaches are well explained.
Mckinley
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sounds True recording.
Mack Hayden
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
This was one of my favorite sets of Buddhist lectures Ive come across in my late 20s quest to have at least some modicum of spiritual anchoring in this world of chaos. Pema Chodrons such an approachable, humorous, and insightful teacher and I was glad to hear her thoughts on compassion specifically given most of the Buddhist stuff Ive heard or read so far has been more focused on insight or other aspects of the path. Ultimately, Buddhism really does feel like the most therapeutic religious ...more
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Have listened to this one over and over.
Tommy
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love Pema Chodron. Could listen to her gentle teaching for hours and, in fact, have a lot recently.

I needed these teachings at this time. Very helpful, very gentle, very relatable to where I am.

I'm glad she's devoted her life to sharing her wisdom and approaches.

Andrew Peters
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the most inspirational buddhist of this generation. A real fresh look at creating a better mind and world.
Connie
Sep 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Love Pema's audiobooks better than reading her books, because I love to listen her. Tons of humor and wisdom.
Kate
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
The audio is like sitting in on one her her workshops. This is so rich I'm sure I will revisit it again and again.
LemontreeLime
May 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Always a good choice!
Teo 2050
2019.05.132019.05.14

Chödrön P (2006) (08:07) Bodhisattva Mind - Teachings to Cultivate Courage and Awareness in the Midst of Suffering
Q
Oct 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I'm listening to the audio version while I walk the track at the gym. I love it! It's immensely soothing and full of practical advice.
Heather Brush
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I will return again.
Jennifer Budnick
Oct 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Pema is an entertaining speaker, but the content was not as inspiring as I had expected.
Sonia Allison
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pema
Will listen to this many times.
Goes through shantideva teachings.
For activist Buddhism.
Includes memories of ChogyamTrungpa encouraging Allen Ginsberg.
Ritesh Samma
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very Good
Angela
Apr 09, 2019
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
hilarious, engaging, meaningful, and inspiring
Matias Cartledge
Feb 14, 2016
Cristina
Jan 16, 2015

• After the Ecstasy, the Laundry: How the Heart Grows Wise on the Spiritual Path
  • The Art of Mindful Living: How to Bring Love, Compassion, and Inner Peace Into Your Daily Life
  • In Love with the World: A Monk's Journey Through the Bardos of Living and Dying
  • The Myth of Freedom and the Way of Meditation
  • The Snow Leopard
  • Happiness: Essential Mindfulness Practices
  • Certain Woman of an Age
  • Who Am I?: The Teachings of Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi
Ani Pema Chödrön (Deirdre Blomfield-Brown) is an American Buddhist nun in the Tibetan tradition, closely associated with the Kagyu school and the Shambhala lineage.

She attended Miss Porter's School in Connecticut and graduated from the University of California at Berkeley. She taught as an elementary school teacher for many years in both New Mexico and California. Pema has two children and three