Start by marking “Organic Body Care Recipes” as Want to Read:
Organic Body Care Recipes

Organic Body Care Recipes

Discover the joys of all-natural body care. Stephanie Tourles shows you how to use fruit, flowers, herbs, and minerals to craft healthy products that promote radiant skin, strong nails, shiny hair, and an elevated mood. Pamper yourself from head to toe with products like Strawberry Cleanser, Pineapple Sunflower Scrub, and Almond Rose Body Lotion. Gentle on your skin and fr ...more
Published May 30th 2007 by Storey Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Organic Body Care Recipes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Organic Body Care Recipes

Charity
May 06, 2011 rated it liked it
I've made four recipes from this, the Aloe and Calendula Cleansing Cream, the Fennel Soother, the Smooth-as-Velvet Vanilla Toner, and the "Out Damn Spot" Antiblemish Elixir. I've not tried the vanilla one yet because it's still got a week and a half to steep until it's ready, but I've been using the others for the past several days.

The cleansing cream is an incredible moisturizer. My husband has eczema on his hands, and this is just wiping it out. It's taken a little getting used to as a facial
Lori
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Prompted by less than favorable reviews, I found this book in my local library rather than purchasing it. I'm glad I did- I ended up copying down only about 10 of the 175 recipes. This was because not all the recipes are suitable for all skin types (of course) and because many of the recipes differ only slightly. So it was easy to choose just a few that included ingredients I was already sold on either because I own them or because they are affordable and easy to find. For someone who is looking ...more
AnandaTashie
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fic, 2012
Honestly, I skipped the first section touting the benefits of a natural approach and the second section going over all the ingredients. I wanted to look at this book for the actual recipes so that's what I did. :D

Ones I want to try, chosen for simplicity, scent, and general need. (Note: I've omitted directions & application tips from some of the below. Also, I've abbreviated, so the book's wording is different.)

p 122, Cleansing & Rejuvenating Oil (all skin types)
2 tbsp each almond, apric
Mermarie
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Still memorizing recipes and sorting through the herb lists I can fetch in my region. The flowers were horrid this year, due to the drought, and Bluegrass dustbowl, but I managed to get in touch with a few friends, and my dad(who grows luxurious roses, like you'd never believe), and ask that they harvest the petals for rose oil & water. Great for facials & bath rituals. For a rose toner, I've also learned adding witch hazel for astringent and vitamin E for natural preservation! It's real ...more
elaynne
Jan 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I checked this book out from the library and even extended it once. So, I probably finished this book back in February.

Since I've been making (and using) 90% of my family's body care products for over two years, there really weren't any big surprises in this book BUT I do think it's filled with a lot of great ideas. It provides a good starting place for people who want to use body products that aren't manufactured with tons of (mostly unknown) chemicals.

Tricia
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must have!

I borrowed this book from the library, and knew I was going to have to buy it. The book is very informative. It thoroughly explains carrier oils, essential oils, butters, and other needed ingredients. The recipes are simple, detailed, and the diversity of the recipes makes this book useful for any body care DIY enthusiast. There are also gift ideas included for sharing your homemade projects.
Febe Chiarelli
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Endless resource with so many good recipes. I only wish it were more aesthetically pleasing.
Jessica Blankenship
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my many New Year Resolutions this year was to go organic. Be more green in every aspect in life. After researching all the negative impacts on commercial projects on my health, was the reason I wanted a change. Most of the chemicals in commercial can HURT you, possibly leading to cancer, infertility, and hormonal problems down the road. The skin absorbs the chemicals in shampoo, lotion, bath products, and everything else that comes in contact with it.

You’ll have to work your way up to mak
Alex Faucher
Apr 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: hobbies
This book was my introduction to DIY body care and it really opened my eyes to what I could actually make myself. I like the idea of knowing exactly what I'm putting on my body and love that the book features so many recipes tailored to different skin types. However, I found that after some experimentation, most of the recipes in this book are just annoyingly complicated, and many feature expensive or hard to find ingredients. In the end, I only occasionally use the simplest recipes or the gener ...more
Bunny
Apr 13, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-14
This book is way too fat for what it is. The first 113 pages are useless, for one thing.

I love the idea of healthy homemade self maintenance. But I do not love the idea of going out of my way, either by driving or by internet hunting, to find ingredients to allegedly make my life easier. I've priced some of the weirder ingredients in here, and, much like fast food is cheaper than organic food, chemical laden face care and conditioners are entirely cheaper than the weird assortment of crap in th
Andrea
Nov 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic recipes that are easy to follow using ingredients you can actually find. I have greatly enjoyed the reduced steps in my morning using some simple guidelines and reducing the amount of times a week I wash my hair. Who knew dry scalp could be from washing too much.

Some of the items are expensive, but the quantities are small so it doesn't have to break you to try something new out. I hope when I get an oven and range to work on a couple double boiler recipes as gifts for super deserving
Maja Haloway
Nov 12, 2010 rated it liked it
A fun collection of body care recipes for total body pampering. I love the fact that these can be made with easy-to-find organic ingredients, and are not too complicated. We used some of the recipes in a recent girlfriends' get-together, and had a fabulous time making wonderful face cleansing creams, masks and scrubs that worked great, and looked so pretty in our little decorated jars and tins. Nice gift ideas for the favorite women in your life.
Rochelle
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very informative book. I am very concerned about all of the chemicals that we continue to put on our bodies with all the products we use as women. This book opened my eyes even more so and showed me how easy it is to make everyday products that are good for my skin and cheaper to make that what the stores sell. Best of all I can pronounce every ingredient I put in them and I know exactly what I am putting on the largest organ of my body, my skin.
Jan 21, 2012 rated it liked it
A great book for people looking for chemical-free alternatives to mass-produced beauty products. If you have sensitive, easily irritated skin like me, or if you're looking for a fun weekend gift project, there are plenty of great recipes and ideas here. Can't wait to try the lip balm recipes, now that my favorite peppermint beeswax lip balm (I won't name names) significantly changed their recipe...
Bonnie
May 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Lots of great recipes and seems like it's a great book on the topic, but I only give it 3 stars because the money investment just seemed too great unless you're pretty serious about it. Most recipes have long ingredient lists and there is equipment needed. I have very little of the stuff needed and I don't have the money right now, so I never tried a recipe, but when/if I ever do, I would definitely pick this up again for consultation.
Emily
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I borrowed this book from a friend, and it's looking like I'm going to end up buying it. The author is friendly, descriptive and just the right shade of crazy for me.
Plus the creamy clay masks make my skin look fantastic. The ladies I love are going to get one hell of a body care package for Christmas this year.
Amber Val
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love the order in which this book is written. First, the basics of skin, hair and nails then a great glossary of most used ingredients in the book's recipes so there is no double-guessing why the author included certain ingredients in certain recipes. Also, the recipes pretty much stick to well-known and easily accessible ingredients that an amateur bath and body "chef" might find have around.
Jen
Dec 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book has some fun, easy recipes for homemade beauty products. Even at the health food store I typically don't like the products I find, so lately I have been motivated to try to make the perfect concoctions of my own. Tyler hasn't been overly excited about my new venture, but I am going to keep at it until I find something that he likes!
Jan 03, 2009 marked it as to-read
Nikki and Andreas gave me this book for Christmas. I'm enjoying going through it and finding the recipes for what I want to make. I'm hoping to eliminate commercial skin and hair care products from our house as much as possible, along with commercial cleaning products too. Now to find a good place to buy essential oils!
Kathleen
good information about how to avoid using products with harmful chemicals that your skin can absorb--but the recipes for the products are not that convenient, since most have to be made for immediate use. i was hoping to find recipes for things i could make in advance. i don't want to mash up mangoes and oatmeal every morning.
Jill
Mar 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: health, environmental
I haven't read every word of the book, but I'm ready to move on with it. She has a very natural viewpoint to skincare, but it can be a bit overwhelming. I'm working on incorporating a few bits at a time to see how things go. Some of her recipes are dead-simple and some are more complex. I'll update here if they are awful or tricky when I try them.
Amber
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help, 2016
This book is AWESOME! It really teaches you a lot about the harmful ingredients in today's beauty products. Written really well and the recipes are simple to follow and will end up saving you money on beauty products. I have already tried a few recipes and love them. Would recommend this book to anyone.
Rachel
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Oh wow, I loved this book! I borrowed it from my local library, but I will have to buy it soon. I've already made a few of the recipes and love the results. This is a must-have for anyone who wants to lead a more healthy lifestyle.
Heather
Dec 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: herbal
lots of interesting recipes for facial cleaners, toners, scrubs and lotions, with a few lip balms and a disappointingly short hair care section. a handful of random cold/flu remedies, bug repellents and sunburn treatments as well, and a large introduction to ingredients and their effects.
AJ
Aug 14, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2011
I have a lot of cocoa butter sitting unused in my fridge and was hoping to find some kind of hand lotion I could make from it in this book. Unfortunately, most of the recipes in here aren't vegan. A promising lotion using cocoa butter also called for beeswax and lanolin.
Kathy
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book explains the dangers of using commercial products. It covers everything from ingredients, preperation and storage to the many recipes designed for babies through the elderly. I have tried some of the recipes and found them to be great alternatives to what I used to buy.
Colleen
Mar 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Didn't get to actually USE any of the recipes (book was overdue back to the library) but flipped through it a few times and saw lots of great things for creams, lotions, cleansers, masks, and the like. Will definitely take out from the library again!
Karen
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
A comprehensive of organic treatments, many of which I would never thought to make before reading.
Roseanne
Jan 11, 2015 marked it as to-read
available at Midpointe
Darby
Jun 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love this book because it includes recipies for all different types of body care products, rather than just the most commonly used. I have loved making my own body care products!
Organic Products Helps for Skin Care 1 1 Aug 24, 2017 10:18PM
Effective Tricks To Remove Facial Dark Spots 1 2 Jun 17, 2015 05:30AM
  • The Green Beauty Guide: Your Essential Resource to Organic and Natural Skin Care, Hair Care, Makeup, and Fragrances
  • GREEN CLEAN: The Environmentally Sound Guide to Cleaning Your Home
  • Clean House Clean Planet
  • Natural Beauty at Home, Revised Edition: More Than 250 Easy-To-Use Recipes for Body, Bath, and Hair
  • No More Dirty Looks: The Truth About Your Beauty Products and the Ultimate Guide to Safe and Clean Cosmetics
  • 20,000 Secrets of Tea: The Most Effective Ways to Benefit from Nature's Healing Herbs
  • Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health: 175 Teas, Tonics, Oils, Salves, Tinctures, and Other Natural Remedies for the Entire Family
  • EcoBeauty: Scrubs, Rubs, Masks, Rinses, and Bath Bombs for You and Your Friends
  • Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living
  • Organic Housekeeping: In Which the Non-Toxic Avenger Shows You How to Improve Your Health and That of Your Family, While You Save Time, Money, and, Perhaps, Your Sanity
  • The Soapmaker's Companion: A Comprehensive Guide with Recipes, Techniques  Know-How
  • The Naturally Clean Home: 101 Safe and Easy Herbal Formulas for Nontoxic Cleansers
  • Make Your Place: Affordable, Sustainable Nesting Skills
  • The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual
  • The Healing Herbs: The Ultimate Guide to the Curative Power of Nature's Medicines
  • Absolute Beauty: Radiant Skin and Inner Harmony Through the Ancient Secrets of Ayurveda
  • Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs
  • The 10 Things You Need to Eat: And More Than 100 Easy and Delicious Ways to Prepare Them