Start by marking “The Storekeeper's Daughter (Daughters of Lancaster County, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Storekeeper's Daughter (Daughters of Lancaster County, #1)

The Storekeeper's Daughter (Daughters of Lancaster County #1)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  3,093 Ratings  ·  182 Reviews
Time seems to stand still in Naomi Fisher's tranquil community, but it cannot hold back tragedy. Helping her widowed father run a store, manage a household, and raise seven children is a daunting task. There is no time to think about courtship or having her own family, though her heart yearns for the attention of Caleb Hoffmeir. But her days are plotted for her-until the a ...more
Published March 1st 2005 by Barbour Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Storekeeper's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Storekeeper's Daughter

Kristin
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Note: Kristin reads and reviews both Christian and secular fiction on A Simply Enchanted Life. Out of respect for my readers, I am including a content review. This content review will help you decide whether this book is suitable for you.

Content Review:
Christian or Secular
: Christian.
Profanity: None
Sex&Violence: None
Trigger Warnings: None
Disclosure: A mother is hit by a car. A baby is kidnapped-non-violent.  These two events are non-graphic and do not warrant a trigger warning.

You know, I wa
Fizzy
I really enjoyed this book. No, I’m not biased because it’s Wanda, who happens to be one of my favorite Amish authors. Seriously, I’m not biased, it’s just that good. Take a typical Amish family with a kid or two at an age where they start thinking about branching out and starting their own family (throw in a couple more down the age line for good measure), add the tragedy of losing Ma unexpectedly, a toss of Dad who can’t seem to express himself in such a way that doesn’t hurt his oldest child ...more
Jeanette
I so enjoyed reading this.
Owen
Jun 23, 2008 rated it did not like it
Those who know me know that I almost always finish a book. But as I get older, I'm realizing that life is too short to waste time on crap. I have read some of Brunstetter's work in the past and have enjoyed it, but I can't recommend this one. The main character in this book cannot catch a break. Her mother dies, her dad is an insensitive jerk, and then a catastrophe happens and she takes the blame for it. Quite honestly, I don't mind reading this in a book of non-fiction. But this is a romance n ...more
Brooke Barenfanger
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
I know that people enjoy this author, but every time I read one of her books, I remain unimpressed. Amish books are getting a bit redundant. This particular book was, for me, almost dull. The only excitement was that the baby got kidnapped. I felt sorry for the oldest daughter. She seemed so stifled by her family. Even her love interest seemed monotonous. I wanted her to fall in love with a man that would make her heart leap and her eyes sparkle. She didn't. I will say that the Amish community i ...more
Lisa
Oct 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
I don't have anything to say about this one good or bad really. I just felt the whole time that once you read Amish religious fiction you have no need to read more. They all seem so similar in the message and character. I read this as a part of a reading challenge,but have no plans to read the rest of the series.
Linda
May 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I just absolutely love these Amish stories. They live such simple and uncomplicated lives. Oh how I wish I could simplify mine sometimes. hahaha
Diane U
Jun 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was my first book from Wanda Brunstetter and I really enjoyed it! I cannot wait to read the next one, The Quilter's Daughter, to see what happens to the families!
the_hero_of_books
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Amish novels are a guilty pleasure of mine, and this just didn't hit the spot for me.

Because the story is told in small sections that jump forward without warning (ex. Wow I can't believe I have been gone for 2 months already), it's hard to connect with the characters. I felt like I was just getting enough so all the right pieces connected in the end. But the characters all took a back seat to the story.

This all felt like a book of complaints. Yes of course bad things happen and this story is ab
Chrissy
Aug 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
In my plan to read this year from different religions, cultures, historical events I am woefully repressed in and authors from different countries, I slipped this this one in on a day trip. I shouldn't have. I know how I am...I MUST COMPLETE ALL TASKS....this was laborious and repetitive. The author repeated inconsequential moments sometimes more than once. I started to feel insulted or maybe that the author did not feel 'heard' the first few times.

The story idea had potential but unfortunatel
Lynda
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This could have been a 5 star book -- I give it 3.5. I did enjoy reading it but problem/disaster be falling Naomi did get old. And a cliffhanger...

The book does have an ending. She just didn't quit in the middle of the story.

No grammar errors. No misuse of words. So I round up to 4 stars. I recommend the book.
Risa Fey
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it
A book from my mom's collection. She loved these. I thought it was okay and also interesting, but not really my genre-cup-of-tea. If you love this genre, don't bother taking too much stock in my review.
Jennifer Baxter
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! I have read a lot of Amish style books and I really enjoyed this one and cannot wait to start the next book for this series. I love how much detail she put into the characters I really felt like I knew them personally. Loved it! So excited to start book 2 tonight.
Toni J.
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is so beautifully written. The author tells an amazing story that grabs you from the vary beginning. Only you don't want the story to end. You fall in love with these characters like they are new friends that you have made. I definitely recommend this book.
Karen
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it
An story about the Amish and it follows three women.
Chani Reeder
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it
A fun read, with an interesting enough plot to make me consider reading more in the series. Theology wise it's very Law centered... even the Gospel is preached in a Law tone.
Lana Yolanda
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book.
Carissa
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
My first Amish read. Good plot and good characters. Loved the ending.
Donna Bagby
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it

The Storekeeper’s Daughter (Daughters of Lancaster County, #1) IBSN: 9781593104467

This was a good story of an Amish woman who feels trapped at home trying to honor her mother’s deathbed wish. It is about Naomi, daughter, who is suddenly left with seven siblings to ‘raise’ (although her brothers are older than she) and a store to oversee. Things get overwhelmed and really turn sour when the youngest child is taken. Will there ever be trust or forgiveness (from herself and others)?
Kristyn
Sep 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all 12+
Recommended to Kristyn by: Deanna
I'll just rate these books together since you have to read all three to get the whole story.

I liked them, but I didn't love them. 3*'s. It was interesting to read about the Amish culture so I thought since they were worth reading I would give them one more star.

One problem I had with them was that as the author had them speaking in some German (Pennsylvania Dutch?), the way the Amish do, she would repeat those words in the following (or sometime same)person's sentence in English. You could get t
Sherri F.
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Recommended to Sherri by: My mother
3.75- 4 stars

This was surprisingly (to me) good. My mother had borrowed the Audio CD and passed it on to me to listen to. I was reluctant b/c I had so many others that I wanted to listen to and we (my mother and I) don't really have the same taste. I figured I would give it a try and start it but wouldn't force myself to finish if the interest wasn't there. I had just finished the intense & long The Nightingale and figured this was short (listen) and assumed lighter. It worked out I didn't f
Paula-O
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Book #1 "The Storekeeper's Daughter" in series Daughters of Lancaster County by Wanda Brunstetter.

Naomi is the daughter of Abraham Fisher, a strict man who became even more strict after his wife died in the road near mailbox when mail flew in front of a vehicle coming. A tragedy that affected so many because she had small boy two months old along with 7 other children. Abraham was overwhelmed and depended on Naomi the oldest daughter to do many things that left no room for fun or to be courted.
C
Lori Henrich
Oct 05, 2013 rated it liked it
A friend of mine had a rummage sale to help raise some of the money needed for the adoptions process they are going through. Tons of people donated stuff and since I am a book nut I just had to by some not very needed books. This was one of them. In fact I got all three.

Naomi is pretty happy in her Amish life. Almost at the age to start courting and begin her own family, the tragic death of her mother puts an end to any dreams she has of the future. She is needed at home now to help tend the hou
Nora St Laurent
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Time appears to stand still in Naomi Fisher's Pennsylvania Amish she's running out of time to correct a terrible mistake.

Naomi was content with her mother died in an accident; until her somber father needed her to tend the family store every day; until her "English" friend showed her how confining her life had become; until her heart started to long for romance.

When Naomi turns her back on one basic duty, the unthinkable happens - and now she feels unworthy to accomplish anything set before her.
librarian4Him02
Naomi Fisher's world is rocked by the death of her mother. After this her father expects her to take over all her mother's duties at home and in the family's general store. And, he refuses to give a young man, Caleb, permission to court his daughter. It's a tough year, but eventually the family begins to heal. Then, another tragedy strikes the family. This time it involves her youngest brother Zach. Naomi blames herself and it seems others in the family do too. Can her family ever truly heal?

Ov
Nicole
Jul 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
I'm not sure how this book has as high of a rating as it has. The premise of the story is okay: A young woman, the oldest daughter, in a large Amish family, loses her mother and has to take over as the primary female caregiver. She's given a lot of responsibilities, and her dad, who is not dealing well with his grief, puts a lot of pressure on her. She's frustrated with her familial duties, and she wants to date, but she has no time nor her father's permission. Things end up sort of falling apar ...more
Dorry Lou
This book was about the Amish and when we were on our mission we learned some things about them. This book added to that knowledge. It was strictly fiction but several events that kept your interest. The daughter of the storekeeper not only worked in the store but also took care of her brothers & sisters as her mother had passed away. There were many in the family and her father expected her to carry on just as her mother had. She was 19 years old and guys wanted to "court" her but her Dad w ...more
Heather Miklandric
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was my very first book I had read of Wanda's and it sure won't be my last.
Naomi Fisher doesn't have the easiest life. She has to care for her younger siblings, put up with her brother's teasing, plus work at the family store while being criticized by her father as he mourns his wife. ( Naomi's mother) It almost gets to be too much for her when she accidentally leaves her baby brother outside alone causing him to be kidnapped.
The story and the characters draw you in as if you are watching
Ashley
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Time appears to stand still in Naomi Fisher's Pennsylvania Amish Community...

But she's running out of time to correct a terrible mistake.

Naomi was content with her life... until her mother died in an accident... until her somber father needed her to tend the family store every day... until even her siblings started relying on her for their needs...until her "English" friend showed her how confining her life had become... until her heart started to long for romance.

When Naomi turns her back on on
Suzanne
Oct 09, 2010 rated it liked it
An Amish man loses his wife through death, his youngest child who is 1-yr. old gets kidnapped and his oldest child runs away with an English friend.

His daughter runs away since she is running the household, takes care of her younger children and is helping to run the family store. One of the reasons his daughter chooses to run away is the fact that she has no fun in her life. She also feels guilty for her brother being kidnapped. A young also man wants to court her but her dad forbids this custo
  • The Hope of Refuge
  • Sarah's Garden (Patch of Heaven, #1)
  • Wanted (Sisters of the Heart, #2)
  • Seek Me with All Your Heart (Land of Canaan, #1)
  • A Wedding Quilt for Ella (Little Valley, #1)
  • The Longing (The Courtship of Nellie Fisher, #3)
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • Rachel's Garden (Pleasant Valley, #2)
New York Times bestselling and award-winning author, Wanda E. Brunstetter is one of the founders of the Amish fiction genre. She has written close to 90 books translated in four languages. With over 10 million copies sold, Wanda's stories consistently earn spots on the nations most prestigious bestseller lists and have received numerous awards.

Wanda’s ancestors were part of the Anabaptist faith, a
More about Wanda E. Brunstetter...

Daughters of Lancaster County (3 books)
  • The Quilter's Daughter (Daughters of Lancaster County, #2)
  • The Bishop's Daughter (Daughter of Lancaster County, #3)