Start by marking “Saviours of Oestend (Oestend, #2)” as Want to Read:
Saviours of Oestend (Oestend, #2)

Saviours of Oestend (Oestend #2)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  384 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
Life on the prairie has never been easy, but now Oestend itself seems bent on destruction.

Banished from the BarChi by the man he loves, Dante Pane must find a way to rebuild his life and heal his broken heart. Unable to love women, afraid to love men, Dante wants only to find some peace.

But peace is hard to come by in Oestend. Dante’s new home reeks of death, he can’t keep
Published June 25th 2012 by Total E-Bound

To ask other readers questions about Saviours of Oestend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saviours of Oestend

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Woah, I made an *interesting* choice choosing to read this book in the current M/M climate! Jesus...

I honestly had no idea what I was getting into with this one. I picked this book for two reasons: One, I heard that this book had a (view spoiler) character, and the second is that I really enjoyed Song of Oestend and I've been dying to read the sequel.

This book was a very hard-to-describe cluster of different ideas about sexuality that I haven't read in romance before. It
Jun 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-pn, borrowed
Nice expansion off the first story. There isn't a great deal of recap, thus my lapse between stories made the leap in a bit rocky. But, this takes that original quilt and adds more squares and embroiders it. I'd say that the beauty in the various roles and tying in it with native beliefs was lovely. I particularly like that the wraiths were given their due--really lovely.

Though I don't possess a deep understanding of aboriginal culture I could easily see the similarities drawn from spirit walki
May 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
>>>>>>HUGE SPOILER ALERT <<<<<<<

Where in hell does it say in the blurb this story is about a transgender? or multiple sex partners having sex as part or a ritual??
And at the beginning of the story Cami is written as a woman???
Give it a warning next time pleaseeeee.

THE ONLY thing I loved about this book is how the author write about Cami, and the relationship between her and Dante, beautiful done.

I loved book one, even when the aut
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Here's the thing with me and this book. I did not FEEL it. I loved the first book in this series, it was incredibly sexy and I just loved the PNRish/Horror theme it had with the wraiths and all that. Really enjoeyed it.

However, I'm not sure what this book was. The love stories, both of them felt half baked for me. For one I didn't even know who the main coupl were until about a 40% of the book. Dante who I was totally HATING in the first book and knew nothing about was SUDDENDLY a great guy just
Feb 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gay-fiction
OK, I gave this book a chance even though I DNFed the last one over the "good rape" scene between the main characters (in which one MC performs sex acts on a supposed friend despite his protestations, and the scene is not treated as an assault but as a romantic interlude).

However, this one was worse. First there are pages of soapboxing about female rape. Wow. Apparently she really is so shallow that she believes that a big strong man can't be raped but a woman can? Because of course if he reall
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: transgender
May 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: transgender
I loved Song of Oestend. Absolutely loved it. And so it felt so good to be back in the land of the wraiths and that harsh prairie again.
This story is Dante’s and, to a lesser degree, it is Frances’ too. I loved Frances in the first book and so desperately wanted to follow his story. I had to dip back into Song of Oestend to refresh my memory on the characters, especially Dante, and then it all came back to me -how totally miserable and mean he was, filled with so much anger and hatred.
The sto
Bree Cheese
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: menage
Well, that was not what I was excepting, at all. I absolutely loved some parts of the this book, especially Dante and the surprise addition of Cami. There were perhaps a few too many romances going on at once for me, though. I think the first book was bit more focused, but that being said, this story has the same beautiful and desolate tone as the first book
Chris, the Dalek King
Making a home in Oestend, is never an easy thing. Life on the ranches is not easy, safe, or gentle. And there are several days travel between you and your closest neighbor, if anything does go wrong. And it will. Then their are the wraiths-–the vengeful spirits of the Ainuai–-that come in the night to kill any not protected by closed doors and the generators that protect the homes of the settlers.

So, no, life in Oestend was never easy…and that was all before Dante got kicked off his father’s lan
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
4.5, definitely more than 4.

OK, it was clear soon that this story confounded expectations. Was I happy with this? Not sure. Could I cope with this, adjust my views as an m/m reader? Yes, YES. No, I don't need everything spelled out in readers' warnings, in fact I'm really grateful there weren't any. I simply love and admire how Marie Sexton regularly turns expectations/stereotypes on their heads and runs somewhere new while always creating totally credible characters. I will say that the main co
May 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars
Back in Oestend where unexplainable, weird things are happening around the majority of its residents. We get Dante's POV as he settles in his new ranch. I thought Dante and Cami's story was absolutely beautiful. I was also thrilled to get Simon's POV and his very believable confused dealings with Frances. Throw in more Deacon and Aren and I was one happy camper.
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: are
I wanted to rate this 5 stars to balance out some of the bad reviews, because this book didn't deserve them. It is a very good book, but it didn't quite take me to that 5 star place.

Once I have a chance to think about it more, I'll probably update my review to be actual review and not a complaint about other reviews. :)
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Barb ~rede-2-read~ by: Gyn
Sequel to Song of Oestend, which I loved, I put off reading this because I was sure I couldn't get over my dislike of Dante, but I was swept away by this story. And my dislike of Dante? Gone! Marie Sexton continues her fantastic saga of wraiths and humans in the world of Oestend's ranches, and she continues to amaze me with her vivid imagination.

Like others, I'm not giving away the principal spoiler here but, suffice it to say, it's well worth the price of admission. Throughout the saga, the wr
Jun 21, 2012 rated it liked it
I have ambivalent feelings about this sequel. On the one hand, I do admire the intricate world building with its interesting combination of elements from different genres. Cami and Dante's story was engaging and their gradual romance beautifully conveys tenderness, caring and mutual acceptance. On the other hand, Frances and Simon's 'arrangement' and their later dubious relationship has left me incredibly sad and disappointed.

I understand relationships are usually complicated and one or both par
Kaje Harper
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book expands on the paranormal world-building of the first book, including some scenes that are wonderfully eerie and atmospheric. It packs some surprises, and explains some character backstories in a satisfying way. For me, it's not as focused or as intense as the first book. That's probably in part because it follows two different main couples, which dilutes out both relationships a little.

There were things I really liked in here. Particularly that the couples and relationships didn't fi
This was Dante's and Cami's story. But also Simon and Francis.

In Song of Oestend, Dante wasn't very likable. He was bitter and vengeful. At the end of that story, we see why and he becomes a bit more human with that revelation. Still, I didn't really like him. So, starting this book, I was wondering if I would be able to like Dante enough to like the book. I shouldn't have worried; Marie Sexton knows how to tell a story and she certainly drew me in.

Reading some of the reviews, I rather expected
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing

This was well and truly one of the best books I've read (27) this year. I read well into the night wanting to find out what would happen to Oestend and the residents there. I fell head over heels in love with Cami and Dante. The drama of this story played out right before my eyes and I delighted in it. Was not disappointed at all. A wonderful closure for the people of Oestend, or is it?

This was a deep read that took me to some very personal places and hit a few nerve endings that I thought were
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
pensavo che il primo libro fosse esaustivo e concluso e mi sono stupita del seguito ma dopo appena un capitolo mi sono decisamente ricreduta.
storia intrigante,avventurosa,originale e romantica,protagonisti indimenticabili.
Dante è una rivelazione,Cami ancor di più
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have to say this was the most unexpected book I've ever read. Nothing of what I thought was gonna happen, happened.
It was GREAT!
Loved it so much.
I won't give out names of anything that immediately would mess things up for many.
Just know that now, I love Dante deeply.
I never thought I would like the whole, folks tales, wraths, no-cellphone era kinda book. But this author is too great to not make any book completely amazing.

I'm happy all the books I've been reading lately have been great, m
Sep 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: trans
I loved the first book in this series, but I was a bit unprepared (I don't always read reviews before I read a book from a trusted author) for the way the storyline developed in this novel. That said, while I probably would have preferred a traditional M/M romance, my admiration for Marie Sexton's writing remains unchanged, as the difficult issue of gender was handled very well.
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I like this one better than the first one, though I did miss Olsa.
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
About 3.5

Once again I can't phrase it all any better than Heather K's review

About 3 for enjoyment, pace, and a totally out of the blue and weird-ass scene at the end, but 4 for originality, making me think about new things, and nudging the genre into new territory.
Aug 01, 2012 rated it liked it
I was elated when I finished book one in the 'Oestend' series by Marie Sexton because I knew there was a book two and I could barely contain my excitement until I got to read it. I loved the first book so much and I realized it would be practically impossible for me not to enjoy this second book. Even though this story revolves around a character that I didn't care for so much in book one, I had a feeling that this time I would understand and care for Dante. I already adored Simon and Frances so ...more
While I didn't like this story as much as I did the first it was still very enjoyable. I love the world created here and the dark elements that make it unique. This story spins more on the relationships developing though than on the strange otherworldliness of life on these prairies. The strange events keep happening, but there less integral to what's going on between the characters.

This is really an interesting two part love story. You have Dante struggling with the pain of knowing the man he t
Well this wasn't what I expected. I was so excited when I started this. I didn't even read the blurb, thinking I didn't want any kind of spoilers. I was going to sit back and enjoy the story. Maybe I should have read that summary after all.

For starters, everything was very predictable. (view spoiler)
LiveYourLife BuyTheBook
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-good-read, faye
4 Stars

Dante Pane is not a nice man. He’s aware of that fact. It hasn’t helped his mood. Living on the ranch where his favorite brother died also hasn’t helped his mood. There is a part of Dante that wants to blame all his problems on Aren. It all went to shit once Aren showed up and stole Deacon, the love of Dante’s life. Unfortunately, Dante was a big part of everything going to shit given he broke into Aren’s house and destroyed his things. It’s easier to just hate Aren, but the guy tends to
Marcy  Shane
Jul 09, 2012 rated it liked it
  • At His Throat, A Promise
  • Room at the Edge (Room at the Top, #2)
  • Under the Rushes
  • Hunting Under Covers
  • Three Traders (Falls Chance Ranch #2)
  • Infected: Lesser Evils (Infected, #6)
  • Something New Under the Sun (Falling Sky, #2)
  • Marathon Cowboys
  • Of Dark and Bright (Dark Horse, #3)
  • Dead in the Desert (L.A. Paranormal, #3)
  • Enemies & Shadows (Rifter #7)
  • Destroyer of Worlds (Spectr, #5)
  • Reclamation (Dominion, #2)
  • Cinder (Blood Nation, #2)
  • Don't Let Go (Tyack & Frayne, #3)
  • Magpie (Avian Shifters, #2)
  • Leather+Lace (Opposites Attract, #2)
  • Tough Love (Special Delivery, #3)
Marie Sexton lives in Colorado. She’s a fan of just about anything that involves muscular young men piling on top of each other. In particular, she loves the Denver Broncos and enjoys going to the games with her husband. Her imaginary friends often tag along. Marie has one daughter, two cats, and one dog, all of whom seem bent on destroying what remains of her sanity. She loves them anyway.

Coda: W
More about Marie Sexton...

Oestend (2 books)
  • Song of Oestend (Oestend #1)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Timequake
    $8.99 $1.99
“What does it mean?”
“You don’t have a word. It means man-girl. Or she-he. It means one who’s neither. Or it can be one who’s both. Or one who’s in between. It is one who’s other than leh or lah.”
Cami turned to Dante, looking for an explanation, but he had none to give. All he could do was shrug. “Olsa?” she said, turning back to the old woman. Her voice shook. “There’s truly a word for what I am?
“Between man and woman is you, Scia’loh. You are what you were meant to be.”