Start by marking “Les épées de Haven (Darkwood, #2)” as Want to Read:
Les épées de Haven (Darkwood, #2)

Les épées de Haven (Hawk & Fisher #1-3)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  1,884 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
Haven est une ville sombre et dangereuse, qui grouille de lanceurs de sorts, voleurs et monstres en tout genre. Tout y est à vendre. Tout, sauf Hawk et Fisher, deux gardes, mari et femme, qui n’ont ni leur épée ni leur langue dans leur poche. Ce sont les deux seuls êtres intègres à cent lieues à la ronde, craints par tous les malfrats des bas-fonds, et ils ont décidé de fa ...more
Published July 9th 2007 by Bragelonne (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Les épées de Haven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Les épées de Haven

Mr. Matt
Aug 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-low, 2013
I finished this book and actually had to create a new shelf in goodreads. There's High Fantasy (Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, and things of that ilk) involving epic battles between powerful Empires and forces. There's Dark Fantasy (Joe Abercrombie, Mark Lawrence, and stuff along those lines) that are usually waist deep in blood, betrayal and revenge. There is Urban Fantasy (Jim Butcher, Larry Correia, and such) where it is today only with elves and faeries and magic. And then there is Low ...more
Echo
Sep 30, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of urban fantasy
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Thank goodness for junk store finds. I'd never heard of Hawk and Fisher, or even Simon R. Green for that matter, until I saw this book for 25 cents in a second hand store. It looked interesting enough, so I picked it up. And now I just adore this man's books.

Well, I hate bothering with plot summaries in my reviews, but there's no summary up, so I guess I'll cave in and give a very brief one. Hawk and Fisher are a husband and wife who work on the guard (police force) in Haven, a very corrupt city
Emory
Dec 06, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised, because I LOVE Simon Green's urban fantasy work, but the Hawk and Fisher books did nothing for me. They seemed formulaic and the characters were extremely flat. I never cared what they were doing or what happened to them, and I barely managed to get to the end, only because I hate leaving a book unfinished. This just doesn't seem to be the genre Green belongs in - he needs something darker to really shine.
Dawn
Mar 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-medieval
This was a great collection to get started with Hawk & Fisher, as it has their first three adventures in the Guard.
These are just the type of adventure stories you would expect to come from Simon Green, fast paced and full of action. I did find it amusing that they consider themselves old and they're only around 30 and I love that Fisher (the woman) is the one that likes to solve everything with force.
The three stories combined make a perfect novel and Hawk & Fisher kick butt.
R
Feb 06, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An okay read. The first novel of the three was clumsy and simplistically structured. The second and third much better, but after reading these I would recommend his later works over this one. "Drinking Midnight Wine", for instance, was better than the early Hawk and Fisher books.
Mary
Jul 04, 2017 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
going on the didn't finish shelf bc it's been several months and i have no motivation to pick it up again; I finished the first story and found it a little basic and was also highly disappointed in Fisher's wasted potential. I was promised a power couple who work together but it turns out her husband Hawk both wins the fight and solves the mystery, and though they're equal in rank he calls all the shots for no reason that's clear to me. I refuse to read the next two stories hoping for a scrap of ...more
Heidi
"Swords of Haven and Guards of Haven are a collection of six related mystery novels written by Simon Green. Each has three of the novels in it, and I'm going to write one review for the entire collection. This series follows up on two characters that were introduced in his earlier novel, "Blue Moon," though they've come a long way in their lives. Guards Hawk and Fisher are husband and wife, as well as partners, and attempt to patrol the most crime-ridden area of the most crime-ridden city in the ...more
RavenclawReadingRoom
3.5 stars. First things first, this cover is pretty terrible. Hawk and his badassery aren't TOO bad, but Fisher is sort of a trainwreck.

ANYWAY.

This book is actually three stories in one. They're all under 200 pages, so I guess they're technically novellas rather than short stories?? The first is a classic locked door mystery. The second deals with mystical attempts at political assassination. And the third involves rather a lot of murders on the Street of the Gods. So these are really crime bo
Anne
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed with this book. I read this book because I had enjoyed Green's Nightside series, even in that series the plots can be somewhat lacking but the world he creates makes up for it. Unfortunately Haven is not nearly as exciting a place as the Nightside and so the thin plots show through more. There are some interesting characters, unfortunately these are not the main characters and are not explored very fully, I find Roxanne and Mendely particularly interesting.

One thing that reall
Rhiana
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mixed-fantasy
This was brain candy. It continues with characters from Blue Moon Rising, which I loved, then makes them totally boring. The fun that they had in them is now gone.
The first book was okay, and actually, the themes of each of these were decent. The mysteries were alright. However, the author lost big points in my book for essentially copy-pasting descriptions of characters during their introduction from one of the three books in this volume to the next.
If you want a mindless fantasy romp, this w
Sally
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
HAWK AND FISHER
Classic whodunit murder mystery set in Ye Olde Fantasie Lande with dialogue in modern British idiom. Odd, yet entertaining.

WINNER TAKES ALL
The first obvious thing is that the first couple of pages, describing our heroes' appearance, seem to have been directly cut-and-pasted from the last book: lazy.

THE GOD KILLER
Plenty of plot but full of formula, echoes and reiteration from the last two tales in the trilogy.

Entertaining, but insubstantial whole, and the books gain nothing from be
Bridget
Actually more like 3.5 It's been years since I read these but I remember enjoying them at the time. They are the equivalent of Light buttered popcorn. May not be as delicious as real buttered popcorn (such as The Lies of Locke Lamora or The Blade Itself) but they're a decent fantasty/action/adventure literary snack.
Alice
Jul 29, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-so-much
I only read the first book in the 3 book set. I was not enamoured of it and am not really interested to read more. I adore the Nightside series, but this one was just boring.
Fangirl
Oct 30, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This fantasy, featuring a husband and wife team, was very disappointing. The was no chemistry between the characters and the plot was boring. I gave this book away.
Carl Harris
Now I remember why I have a rule about reading more than one book in a series back to back. This book contians the first three books in the Hawk and Fisher series. While the books are short (100+ pages each), I kinda felt like they drug on in some places, until suddenly Hawk or Fisher put all the pieces together in a hastily tacked on "Eureka!" moment. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the book. The moments with Hawk and Fisher as husband and wife were entertaining (the one that sticks in my mind is ...more
David Brady
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic old-school fantasy partnership romp. Lovely, chilled winter fare.
Nicolas
J'ai pas vraiment l'hbaitude de lire des morceaux d'intégrales, mais celui-là était assez court, donc j'ai essayé. On y suit, dans trois tomes formés chacun d'une unique enquête, les agents Hawk et Fisher, maris et femmes (ça ne se voit pas vraiment dans les enquêtes, ils agissent plutôt comme des partenaires de longue date que comme des amants, je trouve), seuls agents honnêtes de la Garde (enfin, c'est la rumeur), et adeptes de la résolution d'enquêtes par la force brutale (ça aussi, c'est de ...more
Justin Gould
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth the read!

It's a solid omnibus. The first book was a little too fantasy + clue but they come together in the second and soar in the third.
Maureen O'Danu
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simon R. Green writes tight, fast paced, carefully plotted fiction that treats both its readers and characters as three dimensional human beings. The Adventures of Hawk and Fisher as written in Guards of Haven and Swords of Haven are actually a total of six wonderful novella length noirs set in a fantasy universe.

Each story starts with a detailed account of how miserable a city Haven is, especially the Northend, where Captains Hawk and Fisher of the city Guard patrol. Green carefully describes e
HeyT
Oct 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a great time reading this detective mystery in a fantasy setting book. The Low Kingdoms are an interesting mix of fantasy and modernity and totally unlike the Forest Kingdom of the North. I found that you could read this book without previous knowledge of the Forest Kingdom but it added a little more depth to the characters having read Blue Moon Rising first. There were a few winks and nods from that book in this but essentially they felt very unrelated. I liked how Green took the detectiv ...more
Floriane Huet
Oct 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
C'est l'histoire de deux capitaines de la garde, mari et femme, qui patrouille dans la ville de Haven. Ils sont aussi connus que le loup blanc, donc, en général, on ne leur cherche pas de noises.
C'est Hawk, le mari, qui réfléchit. Sa femme, Fisher, le soutient notamment grâce à son épée.
C'est à la fois roman d'aventure et d'investigation policière. Le style est sympa. Je me suis dit, à plusieurs reprises, que les investigations n'étaient pas très poussées, mais les personnages répondaient à mes
Emily
May 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sf, mystery
This was a compilation of three books in one, and I don't know that it was a good idea as the stories are very formulaic. The first book was ok. It was a locked door mystery, and while easy to figure out how it could have been solved earlier, the story worked fine as a whole. Reading the second book right after, it was too easy to see where the author cut and pasted entire paragraphs of description. The third book was the best, although I don't think it could stand on its own. It relied a bit to ...more
Alexandra
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book contains 3 novels about Hawk and Fisher:
- Hawk and Fisher (or No Haven for the Guilty)
- Winner Takes All (or Devil Take the Hindmost)
- The God Killer
All are easy fantasy reading when you don't have to worry about the end. However lots of adventures makes you read a novel after novel and it doesn't tire you. Good reading after some 'serious' book.
Julie
Dec 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julie by: Bryon
A fun read with likable main characters, although having read the other three in the series first, this seemed a bit repetitive: locked-room mystery, magical chaos, etc. What I REALLY want is the backstory.... Which I suspect I may be getting soon as I just ordered Blue Moon Rising..... So. Excited.
Wendy Howard
I've enjoyed another, unconnected, title by this author, so had high expectations of this, and was not disappointed. There's another book following this one, with a further three tales about Hawk and Fisher, which I'm looking forward to reading soon.

The only part of the book I didn't like was the front cover - it's an awful illustration!
Monkeytoad
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Halfway through the second story. When I first started reading this book I was unsure if I would enjoy this author as this is my first foray with Simon R. Green. As I got past the first 20 pages I had issues putting the novel down. The book feels like Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and Graymouser meets Glen Cooks Garret. I think I am going to just encounter the Deadman...
Dove
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really, really enjoyed this book. Hawk & Fisher are now some of my favorite characters in literature. I wouldn't say that it was amazingly written, but the characters and their adventures held my attention very well. It was funny and the world-building was interesting. If you like mysteries, buddy cop movies, supernatural policing, and/or strong ladies kicking ass, this series is for you.
P.J.
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent. Hawk and Fisher are cynical anti heroes in a thoroughly corrupt town. The books get better the more you read. I.e. book 3 is better than 2 is better than 1. The writing is harsh and the tone is violent. Nothing great but not bad either.
Fred
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was okay. It was worth picking up as cheap as I did at Half Price Books but I wouldn't pay full price for it. It just wasn't as good or anywhere near as good as the Deathstalker Books that Green wrote.
April
Feb 04, 2016 marked it as didnotfinish  ·  review of another edition
got bored.
  • The Vampire Files, Volume 2 (Vampire Files, #4-6)
  • Burn Me Deadly (Eddie LaCrosse, #2)
  • Wizard Squared (Rogue Agent, #3)
  • Red Iron Nights (Garrett Files, #6)
  • Challenges (The Blending, #3)
  • Crime Spells
  • Fortress Draconis (The DragonCrown War Cycle, #1)
  • The Magic and the Healing (Crossroads #1)
  • Castle War! (Castle Perilous, #4)
  • Thief of Lives (Noble Dead, Series 1, #2)
  • The Iron Tower (Iron Tower, #1-3)
  • Death's Master (Flat Earth, #2)
  • The Novels of Tiger and Del, Volume III
41942
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted
More about Simon R. Green...

Hawk & Fisher (8 books)
  • Hawk & Fisher (Hawk & Fisher, #1)
  • Winner Takes All (Hawk & Fisher, #2)
  • The God Killer (Hawk & Fisher, #3)
  • Wolf in the Fold (Hawk & Fisher, #4)
  • Guard Against Dishonor (Hawk & Fisher, #5)
  • The Bones of Haven (Hawk & Fisher, #6)
  • Beyond the Blue Moon (Hawk and Fisher, #7)
  • Once in a Blue Moon (Hawk & Fisher, #8)