Start by marking “From Novice to Expert: Excellence and Power in Clinical Nursing Practice, Commemorative Edition” as Want to Read:

This coherent presentation of clinical judgement, caring practices and collaborative practice provides ideas and images that readers can draw upon in their interactions with others and in their interpretation of what nurses do. It includes many clear, colorful examples and describes the five stages of skill acquisition, the nature of clinical judgement and experiential le ...more
Published October 10th 2000 by Pearson (first published October 20th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about From Novice to Expert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Novice to Expert

Start your review of From Novice to Expert: Excellence and Power in Clinical Nursing Practice, Commemorative Edition
Marisa
Mar 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for any discipline. Although a nursing book, my former military pilot boyfriend read it as well and thought this was a great book for his new pilots. This book helped the novice pilots grasp the concepts of newness as well as the mentors that really understood a little better as to how they would progress to expert pilots.
Jeremy
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nursing
One of those landmark books in nursing research that everyone continues to reference or refer to. It's actually really good. She applies the Dreyfus Model of Skill Acquisition to the field of nursing to better understand what nurses do and what makes them good at what they do.

There are five stages of the Dreyfus Model:
- Novice
- Advanced Beginner
- Competent
- Proficient
- Expert

Benner's contribution is describing what these stages look like in actual nurses. She organizes this by looking at domains
Jen
May 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A great introduction to the nursing process. Although it was required reading, I am glad I read it.
Samantha
Jun 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
A fantastically inspiring book about nursing.
Ryan Frantz
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The exemplars in this book are compelling because they provide insight into the messy details of normal, every day work in nursing. Further, it's impossible to read these accounts and not be connected, in-the-room, with both nurse and patient. There is power and learning in these stories from experienced nurses whose profession requires both skill and caring to help them navigate the complexity of their roles. I took away so many ideas that are easily transferrable to other work.
Catherine
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Confession: I probably started this like 3 years ago and finally finished it today. My graduate school nursing dean recommended it years ago when I told her I wanted to go into teaching nursing. It was mostly boring and felt quite antiquated, but some of the patient stories were somewhat interesting.
Hannah
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: prof-dev
Definite focus on nursing, but I appreciated the definition of the spectrum of skill/expertise in a complex field that can't rely on mere clinical knowledge for success. I think the spectrum would benefit from acknowledging not only experience as a driver of expertise, but also the reflective practices from the Schon text.
Maria
Mar 23, 2015 rated it liked it
One of my teachers at college record this book to me. If you're a nurse, a nursing student or are in any way interested in Nursing you should read it. It's not an academic book. There are different anecdotes based on real patients and real nurses. As a nursing student it has help me to know what to execute from patients and different ways of nursing diagnoses. If you aren't interest in that field of nursing, you will be drag in the patients' story and medical history. You'll want to know if they ...more
Angharad
Dec 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Not exactly a book I wanted to read and I didn't read it cover to cover.It was very useful in my third year reflective essay for nursing though. So I do recommend it. Its short and rather easy to scan through to find the pertinent information.
Kelly
May 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A must read for all nursing students and new nurses.
Betsy Gant
Cassie McAllister
Dec 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Sail
  • The Devil's Punchbowl (Penn Cage #3)
  • Think Twice (Rosato & Associates, #11)
  • Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman
  • Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story
  • Secrets of the Baby Whisperer: How to Calm, Connect, and Communicate with Your Baby
  • Founding Mothers
  • SuperFreakonomics: Global Cooling, Patriotic Prostitutes And Why Suicide Bombers Should Buy Life Insurance
  • To Err Is Human: Building a Safer Health System
  • Chronic Illness: Impact And Intervention
  • Fascism: A Warning
  • Johns Hopkins Nursing Evidence-Based Practice: Models and Guidelines
  • Clinical Teaching Strategies in Nursing
  • Essential EKG: EKG Interpretation, Rhythms, Arrhythmia, Basic Cardiac Dysrhythmias
  • Human GPS — God's Perfect Script: The Fulfillment of My Why
  • Management And Leadership For Nurse Administrators (Roussel, Management and leadership for Nurse Administrators With Online Access)
  • Nurse as Educator: Principles of Teaching and Learning for Nursing Practice
  • The Collapse of Parenting: How We Hurt Our Kids When We Treat Them Like Grown-Ups

News & Interviews

Award-winning journalist Maria Hinojosa’s highly anticipated new book, Once I Was You: A Memoir of Love and Hate in a Torn America, arrives...