Start by marking “From Novice to Expert: Excellence and Power in Clinical Nursing Practice, Commemorative Edition” as Want to Read:

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  118 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
This coherent presentation of clinical judgement, caring practices and collaborative practice provides ideas and images that readers can draw upon in their interactions with others and in their interpretation of what nurses do. It includes many clear, colorful examples and describes the five stages of skill acquisition, the nature of clinical judgement and experiential l ...more
Published October 20th 2000 by Pearson (first published October 20th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about From Novice to Expert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Novice to Expert

Marisa
Mar 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for any discipline. Although a nursing book, my former military pilot boyfriend read it as well and thought this was a great book for his new pilots. This book helped the novice pilots grasp the concepts of newness as well as the mentors that really understood a little better as to how they would progress to expert pilots.
Jeremy
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nursing
One of those landmark books in nursing research that everyone continues to reference or refer to. It's actually really good. She applies the Dreyfus Model of Skill Acquisition to the field of nursing to better understand what nurses do and what makes them good at what they do.

There are five stages of the Dreyfus Model:
- Novice
- Advanced Beginner
- Competent
- Proficient
- Expert

Benner's contribution is describing what these stages look like in actual nurses. She organizes this by looking at domains
Samantha
Jun 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
A fantastically inspiring book about nursing.
Maria
Mar 23, 2015 rated it liked it
One of my teachers at college record this book to me. If you're a nurse, a nursing student or are in any way interested in Nursing you should read it. It's not an academic book. There are different anecdotes based on real patients and real nurses. As a nursing student it has help me to know what to execute from patients and different ways of nursing diagnoses. If you aren't interest in that field of nursing, you will be drag in the patients' story and medical history. You'll want to know if they ...more
Angharad
Dec 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Not exactly a book I wanted to read and I didn't read it cover to cover.It was very useful in my third year reflective essay for nursing though. So I do recommend it. Its short and rather easy to scan through to find the pertinent information.
Jen
May 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A great introduction to the nursing process. Although it was required reading, I am glad I read it.
Kelly
May 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A must read for all nursing students and new nurses.
Jesenia
Aug 07, 2015
jennifer andrade
Oct 05, 2015
Scott Batterson
rated it did not like it
Dec 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Notes on Nursing: What It Is, and What It Is Not
  • Pathophysiology: The Biologic Basis for Disease in Adults And Children
  • Medical-Surgical Nursing (Single Volume): Assessment and Management of Clinical Problems
  • Nursing Against the Odds: How Health Care Cost Cutting, Media Stereotypes, and Medical Hubris Undermine Nurses and Patient Care
  • Foundations of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing: A Clinical Approach
  • Identity and the Museum Visitor Experience
  • Fundamentals of Nursing: The Art and Science of Nursing Care
  • A Writer's Guide to Persistence: How to Create a Lasting and Productive Writing Practice
  • Dictionary of Slang