Start by marking “Yankee Miracles: Life with the Boss and the Bronx Bombers” as Want to Read:
Yankee Miracles: Life with the Boss and the Bronx Bombers

Yankee Miracles: Life with the Boss and the Bronx Bombers

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  57 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
If it was not all so true, you’d think it was a fairy tale. A seventeen-year-old from Queens spray paints graffiti on Yankee Stadium and gets nabbed by George Steinbrenner himself. Contrary to his gruff public image, the Boss—driven by a compassionate inner voice—reclaims the teen at a time when the Bronx is literally burning. Thus begins the unlikeliest of baseball storie ...more
Published September 3rd 2012 by Liveright

To ask other readers questions about Yankee Miracles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yankee Miracles

Karry Vanherreweghe
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this as a Goodreads, first reads. First, I want to say that I pride myself on being a die hard St. Louis Cardinals fan. Second, I highly recommend this to ANY baseball fan. I recently moved to New York City and most people love the Yankees. While I'll never be a Yankee fan, I love the feeling I got when reading this book. Once a Yankee, always a Yankee was said more than once and it has such a similar feeling in St. Louis. I can definitely appreciate the greatness of past and present Yanke ...more
Sam Sattler
Mar 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: baseball, memoir
I cannot remember a time I was not a baseball fan – and as a kid growing up in a small town in the ‘60s that meant I was a Yankee fan. No other team was on television as much or got as much national press coverage. Those were the days of Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Yogi Berra, Tony Kubek, Whitey Ford, Clete Boyer, Bobby Richardson, etc. – a classic Yankee lineup. Although my keenest interest in the team would only last another decade or so, I could never resist keeping up with all the drama asso ...more
Ana Rodriguez
Dec 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Being a Yankee fan almost all my life and excited to say I enjoyed reading, ”Yankee Miracles.” Ray Negron a seventeen year old teen who was obsessed with the game of baseball. On June 29, 1973, Ray’s journey began. Spraying graffiti on the Yankee Stadium and being caught by security and meeting George Steinbrenner himself .
Ray was now in a Yankee uniform and working as a bat boy. Reading Ray’s journey
of baseball games as a bat boy. Meeting famous Yankee players like, Thurman Munson, Bobby Maurc
Bill S.
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: baseball
Negron, an employee of the Yankees off and one for nearly 40 years, has written a book at times very moving, at other times a bit saccharine, about some of the Yankee players past and present who have made a difference in his life. The author enables us to see a side of these athletes usually not seen. Included are many kind words for George Steinbrenner and the many charitable deeds he did for the people around him. Well worth the read.
Don Gorman
Oct 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Great literature? No. A great and entertaining memoir? Absolutely. Especially if you are a Yankees fan over the age of 30. Over the age of 40 and a Yankees fan it goes up a star or two. The story of how Ray Negron became part of the Yankees is amazing enough but his extended career with The Boss and the Yankee organization and the portraits of some of the star players he paints are big fun.
Jerry
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any baseball fan
Recommended to Jerry by: friend
This book is probably in my top 3 of books I've read about the New York Yankees. I've been a fan since 1956, and have read a ton of books and articles on this franchise, not to mention all the games, visits to the stadium and documentarys.

So, if you think you know the team from the 1970s to the present, read this and be surprised.
Julie
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Though I don't make it to many baseball games, I devour newspaper articles, books and movies about baseball (Right now I'm reading "The Cubs and The Kabbalist.") Ray Negron's story has the enjoyable trappings of a fairy-tale with enough reality to keep the sentimentality in check. He and co-author Sally Cook have created a memoir with a hopeful trajectory and a big heart!
Maggie
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book . Must read for Yankees fans. Gives different. Picture of a caring Steinbrenner
P.e. lolo
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
For a Yankee fan this is a good book. The story of his life chaning and the other stories of Yankee players he became friends with. A good story.
Mark Slattery
Dec 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Tremendous story of a Bronx kid picked up off the streets and immersed in the Yankee clubhouse. Tremendous chapter towards the end will have me rooting extra hard for Brett Gardner from now on
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing

This is a great story (memoir) of a Bronx kid picked up off the streets and immersed in the Yankee clubhouse. You'll love this book especially if you are a Yankees fan>

*Won on Goodreads*
Bernadette
Jan 23, 2013 rated it liked it
I reviewed this on my baseball blog. Read it here.
Steve Beilharz
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sports
Along with Bobby Murcer's "Yankee For Life" , are the best baseball books I ever read.
Michael Dsupin
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you're a Yankee fan, I would recommend it.
Victor
Buz
Dec 26, 2012
Corinne Driscoll
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Easy read, especially for a Yankee fan.
John
Jennifer Gonzalez
Dec 09, 2012
Dawn Swingle
Feb 26, 2013
  • The House That Ruth Built: A New Stadium, the First Yankees Championship, and the Redemption of 1923
  • Impact Player: Leaving a Lasting Legacy on and Off the Field
  • Yogi Berra: Eternal Yankee
  • The Chicago Cap Murders
  • A Guilty Mind (Detective Cancini Mystery, #1)
  • Beginning With the End: A Memoir of Twin Loss and Healing
  • Edge of the Past (Edge, #2)
  • Steinbrenner: The Last Lion of Baseball
  • Direct Hits Toughest Vocabulary of the SAT
  • A Far Cry from Sunset
  • An Old Friend
  • The Gift of Stoppage Time
  • The Dating Dilemmas of Delilah Dunnfield
  • Damn Yankees: Twenty-Four Major League Writers on the World's Most Loved (and Hated) Team
  • A Self-Made Man: The Political Life of Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1854