Start by marking “Programming PHP” as Want to Read:
Programming PHP

Programming PHP

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  587 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Programming PHP, 2nd Edition, is the authoritative guide to PHP 5 and is filled with the unique knowledge of the creator of PHP (Rasmus Lerdorf) and other PHP experts. When it comes to creating websites, the PHP scripting language is truly a red-hot property. In fact, PHP is currently used on more than 19 million websites, surpassing Microsoft's ASP .NET technology in popu ...more
Published May 5th 2006 by O'Reilly Media (first published March 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Programming PHP, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Programming PHP

Luke
Excellent introduction to the PHP scripting language, written by its creator, Rasmus Lerdorf. The introductory chapters were concise yet informative, serving as an excellent primer to the basics of the language. Subsequent chapters deal with common applications of the language: dynamic web pages, interfacing with databases, and graphics applications. I highly recommend this book.
Hendry Lee
Jan 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
A mild introduction to PHP. Unlike other book, it gives quite a bit of examples of powerful PHP usage. This is more appropriate for programmers or developers who have some knowledge in other programming language.
Tom
Feb 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the good fortune to meet Rasmus when I worked for Yahoo! This is a great book on PHP, and he is one of the great engineers living today.

I recommend this to anyone looking to learn PHP.
Chance
Nov 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was good for beginner to intermediate PHP programming...back when I read it.

While I haven't actively worked with PHP since PHP 4 was still fairly new, I could already see that PHP was trending toward a more object-oriented style.

So it's interesting that the co-author of the book who happens to be the guy who fucking INVENTED PHP actually focuses the book around function-based programming.

As such, this is a good cover-to-cover read for beginners and a handy reference for looking up simple, h
JadedlilFecker
Jun 14, 2012 rated it liked it
I can remember reading this few years back, and it helped me in some rather difficult areas. It was written in a manner that appeals to most programmers 'language', and at first that was intimidating to me, but overall--it eventually panned out. I mostly used it for news/mini blogs, and cutenews accessories. :*) Needless to say, beginners, having little computer language experience, may find it difficult as an beginning guide. With this book and the PHP.net, you should be able to get a better un ...more
Faham
Jul 07, 2017 marked it as to-read
Prashanth
Jan 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: it, programming
This is probably a good way to illustrate how programming books ought not to be written. I have high respects for the authors - especially Rasmus, all of us should be indebted to PHP founder. But, the book runs just like program documentation. Nothing wrong with it for super-geeks who learn everything from the man pages, but for the rest of us mortals there should be some mind-exercises, a few good problems, a theme to apply what we learn and what not. The book nicely goes from the basics to the ...more
Aruna Anandh
great
Lasse Bunk
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
I don't enjoy PHP very much, but this is a good book on the subject.
Dennis
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
verygood
Abdimalik
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
it is absolutely amazing book and it is usefull
Anandhmca05
PHP testing
MOSS Elo
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good for a next level php programmer beginner.
Arun
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the kindle edition. Code sections are not badly formatted as is common in Kindle editions.

Good book, not so good language. Last few chapters doesn't go into much depth on the chapter topics but gives references for further study. The last section of the book has the entire function reference by category and alphabetical listing of PHP functions so it is useful as a reference.

So, in the end, PHP get things done! Read this book to know both good and the ugly side of the language. After all
Michal Angelo
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In the O'Reilly world there is a pecking-order that goes something like: [Learning abc], [Programming abc], [abc Cookbook], ... and I've come to depend on them as my career progresses through the decades. An embedded engineer by trade, I've a budding interest in web design and have already built my first simplistic page (woo-hoo!)

Already knowing what PHP's design was for, I simply wished for an overview of the language and found exactly what I was looking for here. The authors promise "if you m
Gerd
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: it, web-development
Good for beginners. Provides a good balance between raw commands on the one hand (the function reference at the end is notable) and illustrative examples and code snippets on the other hand. Thus, that they can be used in immediate pratical applications. However, it does not cover advanced or enterprise topics such as frameworks and patterns. I am also reading 'PHP Objects, Patterns, and Practice' which is complementary to this book.
A drawback is that some chapters are just too short, failing to
Dan
Apr 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: comuterese
I have my 1st PHP project at work in many a year. I don't even really remember this language, even though I wrote a few web sites in it years back. It looks like Perl to me . . . I find the online API documentation to be about the best way to figure out how to use this, though.
Dave Peticolas

A nice and thorough introduction to PHP, the web scripting language. I still like Zope better, though.

Madalin Ignisca
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: web-development, php
If you intend to tak the path for professional PHP development, start with this book and you'll find you way. Ignore child books ;)
Athul Jayachandran
Mar 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: programming
Good book to learn basic php programming.
Jeff
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
The prose is second-rate, for the most part, but the breadth and depth are fantastic for a volume this length.
Daynah
Nov 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech
Great mini reference book for PHP functions.
Youssef Hribach
php loungue programming number one in the word
Illia Olenchenko
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming, php
All good except of PHP for system programming, is it ever useful? As introduction to PHP well typed.
We Sy
Apr 27, 2013 marked it as to-read
to read the book, and to learn it
Elias
  • Professional PHP Programming
  • CSS: The Definitive Guide
  • JavaScript: The Definitive Guide
  • Essential PHP Security
  • Programming Perl (3rd Edition)
  • HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide
  • PHP and MySQL Web Development (Developer's Library)
  • Programming Python
  • PHP Objects, Patterns, and Practice
  • XML in a Nutshell
  • High Performance MySQL: Optimization, Backups, Replication, Load Balancing & More
  • Learning XML
  • sed & awk
  • Regular Expression Pocket Reference: Regular Expressions for Perl, Ruby, PHP, Python, C, Java and .NET
  • Coder to Developer: Tools and Strategies for Delivering Your Software
  • Code Reading: Open Source Perspective

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »