Start by marking “The Vicar's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Vicar's Daughter

The Vicar's Daughter

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  213 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Mills & Boon presents the Betty Neels collection. Timeless tales of heart-warming romance by one of the world’s best-loved romance authors.

All the village assumed that Margo Pearson was to marry George, but unexpectedly meeting Professor Gijs van Kessel made her pause for thought. But being a plain, practical girl, Margo knew the professor was most unlikely to look her
Paperback
Published November 1st 1998 by Harlequin Books (first published June 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Vicar's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vicar's Daughter

Susan in NC
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reread
Nov. 2016 - still a favorite, and a lovely Christmas-time read!

Jan. 2014 - A beloved Betty Christmas story, I decided to kick off the New Year with a reread. Margo is one of my favorite Betty heroines, plain, sensible, loving and kind but not a pushover by any means, and Gijs is a great hero - you can actually see why the two of them gradually come to love each other, at about the same pace, which is nice for a change! My only fault was the silly drawn out misunderstanding at the end, which was
Pamela Shropshire
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tgb
Caro
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Las novelas de Betty Neels son hermosas; esta particularmente se me hizo un poco tediosa en algunos capítulos, pero en general me quedo con una buena impresión.
Demuestra que puede contar una linda historia y no sólo de amor, sino también de vidas de gente cotidiana, y entretiene mucho. Sus pueblos con nombres difíciles de pronunciar, sus heroínas comunes y anodinas, más los infaltables gatos hacen que la solterona que hay en mí lea feliz y despreocupadamente xD.
Leona
Aug 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Interestingly enough I am pretty sure that I read this book before and actually wrote a review. But I can no longer find it.

This isn't one of my favorite MOCs from Betty, but it still worked. I had a hard time connecting with the H/h. I didn't find them as endearing as Tyco and Charity The Final Touch or Matilda and Henry in Matilda's Wedding (White Weddings), or Tabitha and Marius in Tabitha in the Moonlight. I found them to be one dimensional and a bit stiff, like cardboard.

Plus Betty poured
Teri-K
I really liked most of the book. The heroine is an intelligent girl with a clear head, helpful and caring. The hero is the typical RDD, but he isn't above apologizing when he realizes he's made a mistake in their relationship. I enjoyed watching them become unlikely friends first and then begin a marriage of convenience. I was displeased by the final chapter, which took several turns common to Neel novels but not pleasing for me. (view spoiler) ...more
Fiona Marsden
A marriage of convenience story with Margo, who never really hoped for anything more but when she meets Gijs falls hard.

He is the typical enigmatic Dutch hero who doesn't give anything away right until the end. No real surprises and with all the standard bits and pieces that make up a Betty Neels story. The lavish Dutch homes, the faithful servants, dogs and cats and the yummy food and clothing.

Always an easy read, I liked the way the happy ending played out.
Nenya
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ow, but no drama. Sweet hero. Rather convenient killing off of h's parents, but... cant have everything. Small "big misunderstanding " (H's sister flirts with somene, he thinks his wife is in love with him). Didnt like that too much, but eh, it was still sweet (didnt drag on with the mu)
Patricia schmit
A Story Without Characters

Although all the ingredients are there - travel, clothes, food, beautiful homes - the story never develops beyond its outline. The characters remain rather like stick figures. Too bad.
Marybelle
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
What girl doesn't want a quiet, strong hero who comes to her rescue? The scene at the end by the cradle broke my heart. Very much enjoyed the story. Always love a Betty Neels romance.
Mary Craven
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a re-reader. Betty Neels is one of my favorite authors. When life is busy, it is nice to revisit old friends.
  • My Lord Protector
  • A Knight's Vow
  • Surrender to a Stranger
  • Dido's Prize
  • Kyriakis Curse (The Kyriak, #1)
  • Somebody To Love
  • First Love, Last Love
  • The Ravening (Blood Moon, #3)
  • A Convenient Wife (Montana Mavericks: Historicals #3)
  • Slave Girl in the Harem
  • Dark Temptation (Blackheath Moor #2)
  • A Stranger's Kiss (D'Avenant Brothers Series, #2)
  • Erinsong (Songs of the North, #2)
  • Beloved Highlander
  • A Walk in the Clouds
  • The Rebellious Ward (Regency, #2)
  • Beguiled (Devoted, #2)
  • Again
Betty Neels was born on September 15, 1910 in Devon to a family with firm roots in the civil service. She said she had a blissfully happy childhood and teenage years.(This stood her in good stead later for the tribulations to come with the Second World War). She was sent away to boarding school, and then went on to train as a nurse, gaining her SRN and SCM, that is, State Registered Nurse and Stat ...more
More about Betty Neels...