Start by marking “The Little Vampire” as Want to Read:
The Little Vampire

The Little Vampire

(Der kleine Vampir #1)

Tony, a nine-year-old horror story addict is delighted when a little vampire called Rudolph lands on his windowsill one evening and, together, the two have a series of hilarious adventures involving visits to Rudolph’s home – The Vampire Family Vault – where Tony narrowly escapes the clutches of Great-Aunt Dorothy.
Published April 1st 2004 by Rowohlt Taschenbuch Verla (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Vampire, please sign up.
Suvi It's a pretty common procedure to change the names in children's books to make them more approachable and easier to read for the target audience. Rüdi…moreIt's a pretty common procedure to change the names in children's books to make them more approachable and easier to read for the target audience. Rüdiger would be too difficult for English language readers.(less)

Start your review of The Little Vampire
Cathy
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it
First published when I was 11, no idea how old I was when I read it first. Probably around that age, as I graduated to „grown up“ books when I was around 13. Good fun, my first every vampire book!
Barbara (VampAngel)
Jun 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every children and even adults
So, I dug up my 1987 beat up copy and I'm rereading it. I had forgotten how cute this was. I want to have a vampire show up at my window and befriend me! It seems that 25 years have passed and I still have the same dream I did at 8. Sadly, it hasn't come true yet.
----------------------------------------

My favorite childhood series. Also, where my love of all things vampire was born at the tender age of 8. I still have the paperbacks of the whole series and I'll treasure them forever.

First read
Abigail Lalonde
Jul 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I checked these books out of my elementary school library over and over again. This series created my vampire obsession.
Michelle
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
I read this so many times I was young. So. Many. Times.

The illustrations are still charming and maybe the best part of the whole book? I remembered the illustrations long after I'd forgotten the story itself.

The story is cute, and I can see why it appealed to me when I was young. Tony, a 9-year-old boy, has a vampire (Rudolph) visit his window one night and they become friends. They go on late night adventures, including hanging out at the cemetery; with the help of a magical cape, Tony can fly
Melanie
Jan 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood, fiction
For whatever reason, I loved this book. But I got in trouble when I invented a game of vampire tag at my fundamentalist Christian elementary school.
Netanella
I started reading this with my first grader and then finished it on my own, because I enjoyed the story so much.

Anton (or Tony in the English version) is a third-grader who befriends a young vampire boy in this charming story. They go on adventures together, visit Anton's family vault, go flying with a magic cape, and have a run-in with the new cemetery groundskeeper. I really enjoyed this story.

I was intrigued by the little vampire's name, Rudolph Sackville-Bagg. Now why, I thought, would he
Αταλάντη Ευριπίδου
I loved these books when I was young, I used to read them over and over again. I'm sure part of my fascination with vampires as an adult comes from Sommer-Bodenburg's "Little Vampire". Anton is a 9-year old boy who likes horror stories and befriends Rudiger, a vampire who looks about his age. His parents don't believe in vampires and are skeptical about his new friend, while Rudiger's sister, Anna, joins the boys in their adventures. Reading this so many years later, I was not disappointed at al ...more
Caroline
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I thought my german was advanced enough for me to read a book I loved as a kid in its original language- and I was pretty much right! I had to look up some words though, but I managed to read most of it without a problem, and it didn't take me very long!
I definitely want to read more children's books in german.
sj
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted here.

Nostalgia ahoy!

I think I was in the third grade the first time I read this book.  In fact, I'm almost positive I was because that was the year that The Lost Boys came out, and I developed my first vampire obsession.  Of course, being in the third grade, I wasn't yet allowed to check books out of the library that would've matched thematically with The Lost Boys, so I made do with what I could find, giving my librarian the elementary school version of the stink eye the entir
Suvi
The second installment of this popular series, The Little Vampire Moves In, was one of my childhood favourites, and even inspired me to make a vampire cape for a Halloween party. Even though I have read the book countless of times, it's in an excellent shape. I loaned some of the next installments from the library ages ago, but in a random order and I can't remember anything about them anymore. It doesn't really matter that much if you don't read the books in order, but I have an obsession for i ...more
Widad Hussein
This book has a lexile level of 610 and is suited for students in the 3rd grade. The main character is Tony and it's from the 3rd point of view. The setting is in a couple places such as Tony's house and the cemetery. In this book, Tony is a 10 year old who gets bored a lot and doesn't have many friends. One night, when his parents were out, he heard a strange noise coming from his room and realized it was a vampire. Even though he was scared at first, that quickly went away as they developed a ...more
Caroline
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Picked up one of my favorite childhood books! I still remember a lot of it by heart <3

It's about 9 year-old Anton who's home alone, and suddenly, the little vampire Rydiger von Schlotterstein knocks on his window! Anton is afraid at first, but they soon become friends. Rydiger brings him a vampire cloak so he can fly, and they visit Rydiger's home, the graveyard - but has to hide from his family members.
Of course Anton has to hide all this from his nosy parents, who doesn't believe him even thou
Di
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I don't remember any of it now, I just remember loving it as a kid, and wanting to read the next book, and wanting to have a vampire friend, and wanting to become a vampire myself...Probably my fantasy of locking myself inside a coffin with a vampire came from this book too, though I wouldn't know why (Just like I have no idea why I'm letting you know that.)This book opened the doors of my imagination and made me fall in love with vampires with such an undying love that has survived even the Twi ...more
Stevie
Apr 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Have to admit I never read or watched it growing up, so I thought I'd catch up. It's a funny little story about an unusual friendship. Quite liked it, though the English edition I had was full of spelling mistakes, which dampened my enthusiasm.
Kaylan
Jun 14, 2011 rated it liked it
For some reason, this book scared the bajeezus out of me when I was a kid. It's really harmless, though. Just a regular children's book!
Nerita
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've read it while I was in highschool and I've got to admit that I've read this book couple of times because it was very funny, witty and interesting. Adults should try to read it too.
Meredith
One evening a young vampire flies through Tony's window and befriends him.

Alas, my German is too rusty for me to read Der kleine Vampir in the original, so I had to settle for this translation. This is a fun little story. A vampire roughly the same age as the protagonist appears out of nowhere one night, and they form a friendship. This is the type of thing I would have liked to happen to me as a child, and I think I would have enjoyed the story more if I'd read it when I was in upper elementary
Bonnie Brien
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
I read this as a kid and it made such an impression that the scenes would pop back into my head unbidden occasionally, but I couldn’t recall the author or title. I finally rediscovered the book through a YA book subscription Facebook group, and immediately ordered it. I read it last night and it was so familiar and fun, and felt like finally scratching an unreachable itch. Can’t wait for my kids to read it, and I hope they will be just as deliciously scared of Rudolph Sackville-Bagg and his fami ...more
Wren
3/5

This was such a nostalgia read. I never knew this was a book as a kid but I was 1000% obsessed with the 2000 movie. Like, watched it every other day for years kind of obsessed.

The book is nothing like the movie (or even the 2018 movie) but they are both great in their own ways.

The book was delightful and quirky. Some things in it haven’t aged well but for a book written in 1979, it’s not the worst.

I wish there wasn’t this attempt at a love story, they’re 8-9 years old or child vampires. It
Nick
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
This is SUCH an underrated series, and even though it's aimed at children, adults can enjoy it too. I read it when I was a young teen and I was obsessed with this vampire family. Definitely recommend it for kids who aren't avid readers, these characters are so endearing and so very German. It's a blast.
Farseer
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It does not have Harry Potter's massive appeal for adult readers, but it has a lot of charm and it's a wonderful classic of children's literature. The story of a young boy who makes friends with a boy vampire has funny moments and moments of danger. It's told in a very colloquial and readable way.
Quill
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Maybe it was just a poor translation, but the writing was quite clumsy with lots of errors, and all the dialogue was odd and unnatural. I was hoping to enjoy this more, as I loved the film based on this book as a kid!
Shelby Lopez
The movie has been one of my favorites since I was little so when I found out there was a book series I had to read it.
I wonder if I was a kid if I would like it more but it just was dull. I don’t like book Anna.
Car Naaier
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The only vampires book I have enjoyed in my entire life.
Inmaculada
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy the story of this little vampire and his friend. I'm looking forward reading the other books.
MICHI
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites as a child in the 80s
Kirsty Stanley
L.E. Flinders
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book as a little kid. Still think about it sometimes. So underrated.
B.S. Casey
I re-read this for the first time since I was a child and oh the nostalgia! It’s still cute, funny and a little spooky and still quite fun to read 15 years later!
Pinko Palest
little Anna was a delight. In contrast, the boys are a bit flat. An enjoyable read even for adults
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Little Ghost
  • Eine Woche voller Samstage (Sams, #1)
  • Oh, wie schön ist Panama
  • Die kleine Hexe
  • Manolito Gafotas (Manolito Gafotas, #1)
  • Der Räuber Hotzenplotz (Hotzenplotz, #1)
  • Asesinato en el «Canadian Express»
  • Der Struwwelpeter
  • Das doppelte Lottchen
  • Der kleine Wassermann
  • Urmel aus dem Eis (Urmel, #1)
  • Max und Moritz. Eine Bubengeschichte in sieben Streichen
  • Jim Knopf und Lukas der Lokomotivführer
  • Das fliegende Klassenzimmer
  • Am Samstag kam das Sams zurück (Sams, #2)
  • Krabat
Angela Sommer-Bodenburg is the author of a number of fantasy books for children. Her most famous contribution to the field of children's fantasy is "The Little Vampire" series which has sold over 10 million copies and has been translated into over 30 languages. Sommer-Bodenburg states that her "vampire is not a bloodthirsty monster, however, but an affectionate little vampire with fears and foible ...more

Der kleine Vampir (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Little Vampire Moves In