Start by marking “The Little Vampire” as Want to Read:
The Little Vampire

The Little Vampire

(Der kleine Vampir #1)

Tony, a nine-year-old horror story addict is delighted when a little vampire called Rudolph lands on his windowsill one evening and, together, the two have a series of hilarious adventures involving visits to Rudolph’s home – The Vampire Family Vault – where Tony narrowly escapes the clutches of Great-Aunt Dorothy.
Published April 1st 2004 by Rowohlt Taschenbuch Verla (first published 1979)

Cathy (cathepsut)
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-before-2003
First published when I was 11, no idea how old I was when I read it first. Probably around that age, as I graduated to „grown up“ books when I was around 13. Good fun, my first every vampire book!
Barbara (VampAngel)
Jun 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every children and even adults
So, I dug up my 1987 beat up copy and I'm rereading it. I had forgotten how cute this was. I want to have a vampire show up at my window and befriend me! It seems that 25 years have passed and I still have the same dream I did at 8. Sadly, it hasn't come true yet.
----------------------------------------

My favorite childhood series. Also, where my love of all things vampire was born at the tender age of 8. I still have the paperbacks of the whole series and I'll treasure them forever.

First read
Michelle
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
I read this so many times I was young. So. Many. Times.

The illustrations are still charming and maybe the best part of the whole book? I remembered the illustrations long after I'd forgotten the story itself.

The story is cute, and I can see why it appealed to me when I was young. Tony, a 9-year-old boy, has a vampire (Rudolph) visit his window one night and they become friends. They go on late night adventures, including hanging out at the cemetery; with the help of a magical cape, Tony can fly
Melanie
Jan 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
For whatever reason, I loved this book. But I got in trouble when I invented a game of vampire tag at my fundamentalist Christian elementary school.
Abigail Lalonde
Jul 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I checked these books out of my elementary school library over and over again. This series created my vampire obsession.
Netanella
I started reading this with my first grader and then finished it on my own, because I enjoyed the story so much.

Anton (or Tony in the English version) is a third-grader who befriends a young vampire boy in this charming story. They go on adventures together, visit Anton's family vault, go flying with a magic cape, and have a run-in with the new cemetery groundskeeper. I really enjoyed this story.

I was intrigued by the little vampire's name, Rudolph Sackville-Bagg. Now why, I thought, would he
Αταλάντη Ευριπίδου
I loved these books when I was young, I used to read them over and over again. I'm sure part of my fascination with vampires as an adult comes from Sommer-Bodenburg's "Little Vampire". Anton is a 9-year old boy who likes horror stories and befriends Rudiger, a vampire who looks about his age. His parents don't believe in vampires and are skeptical about his new friend, while Rudiger's sister, Anna, joins the boys in their adventures. Reading this so many years later, I was not disappointed at al ...more
Caroline Åsgård
I thought my german was advanced enough for me to read a book I loved as a kid in its original language- and I was pretty much right! I had to look up some words though, but I managed to read most of it without a problem, and it didn't take me very long!
I definitely want to read more children's books in german.
sj
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted here.

Nostalgia ahoy!

I think I was in the third grade the first time I read this book.  In fact, I'm almost positive I was because that was the year that The Lost Boys came out, and I developed my first vampire obsession.  Of course, being in the third grade, I wasn't yet allowed to check books out of the library that would've matched thematically with The Lost Boys, so I made do with what I could find, giving my librarian the elementary school version of the stink eye the entir
Suvi
The second installment of this popular series, The Little Vampire Moves In, was one of my childhood favourites, and even inspired me to make a vampire cape for a Halloween party. Even though I have read the book countless of times, it's in an excellent shape. I loaned some of the next installments from the library ages ago, but in a random order and I can't remember anything about them anymore. It doesn't really matter that much if you don't read the books in order, but I have an obsession for i ...more
Widad Hussein
This book has a lexile level of 610 and is suited for students in the 3rd grade. The main character is Tony and it's from the 3rd point of view. The setting is in a couple places such as Tony's house and the cemetery. In this book, Tony is a 10 year old who gets bored a lot and doesn't have many friends. One night, when his parents were out, he heard a strange noise coming from his room and realized it was a vampire. Even though he was scared at first, that quickly went away as they developed a ...more
Caroline Åsgård
Picked up one of my favorite childhood books! I still remember a lot of it by heart <3

It's about 9 year-old Anton who's home alone, and suddenly, the little vampire Rydiger von Schlotterstein knocks on his window! Anton is afraid at first, but they soon become friends. Rydiger brings him a vampire cloak so he can fly, and they visit Rydiger's home, the graveyard - but has to hide from his family members.
Of course Anton has to hide all this from his nosy parents, who doesn't believe him even t
Di
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I don't remember any of it now, I just remember loving it as a kid, and wanting to read the next book, and wanting to have a vampire friend, and wanting to become a vampire myself...Probably my fantasy of locking myself inside a coffin with a vampire came from this book too, though I wouldn't know why (Just like I have no idea why I'm letting you know that.)This book opened the doors of my imagination and made me fall in love with vampires with such an undying love that has survived even the Twi ...more
Stevie
Apr 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Have to admit I never read or watched it growing up, so I thought I'd catch up. It's a funny little story about an unusual friendship. Quite liked it, though the English edition I had was full of spelling mistakes, which dampened my enthusiasm.
Kaylan
Jun 14, 2011 rated it liked it
For some reason, this book scared the bajeezus out of me when I was a kid. It's really harmless, though. Just a regular children's book!
Neri.
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've read it while I was in highschool and I've got to admit that I've read this book couple of times because it was very funny, witty and interesting. Adults should try to read it too.
Meredith
One evening a young vampire flies through Tony's window and befriends him.

Alas, my German is too rusty for me to read Der kleine Vampir in the original, so I had to settle for this translation. This is a fun little story. A vampire roughly the same age as the protagonist appears out of nowhere one night, and they form a friendship. This is the type of thing I would have liked to happen to me as a child, and I think I would have enjoyed the story more if I'd read it when I was in upper elementary
Farseer
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It does not have Harry Potter's massive appeal for adult readers, but it has a lot of charm and it's a wonderful classic of children's literature. The story of a young boy who makes friends with a boy vampire has funny moments and moments of danger. It's told in a very colloquial and readable way.
Car Naaier
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The only vampires book I have enjoyed in my entire life.
Inmaculada
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy the story of this little vampire and his friend. I'm looking forward reading the other books.
Hanne Sainio
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was the start of my love with books, it still holds a very special place in my heart after decades
A.L. Carter
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A childhood favourite of mine from too many years ago!
April A.  Taylor
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"The Little Vampire," published in the U.S. as "My Friend the Vampire," was my favorite childhood book. I have a soft spot for children's lit, especially when it leans toward the macabre, and this book still holds up decades later.

The author, Angela Sommer-Bodenburg, never talks down to young readers. Instead, she speaks the universal and timeless language of 9-12 year olds, and she understands that this audience wants a little fear and mystery.

It's a nice touch that Sommer-Bodenburg made some
Shmiri
Apr 27, 2010 added it
As far as I know this is the first book in the series, and simply named "The Little Vampire". I have just re-read it - read about half of these books as a child and recently collected all the books in the series I did not yet have. The description here on good reads seems to point to another later Little Vampire book, what with the castle and all.

As for the book, it's the one that starts it all - the 18 part Little Vampire series. The books are written for children but I find them wonderful to r
NeoN RaiN33
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this book when I was 12.
In Korea we had a simular illustration of Japanease version.

It helped me thorough the solo visit to my Aunty, which I have to be alone in her place while
she worked...(Still dont understand if you want visitor shouldn't you stay near them?!)

It was my first vampire novel.

The context was well targeted to preteen, which most of us(at that time) dreams about secret adventure and excitement.

It was about vampires with any gloom or darkness... It was full of hope and drea
Sofie
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deutsch, children-ya
More 100+ year old children. I find this theme somewhat disturbing. With vampires, at least, I've seen it somewhere besides German children books; it seems high schools are overrun with them. Perhaps their brain ceases to develop when they become undead, and so they are forever stuck with thoughts and opinions they had before they died. That doesn't explain why the would want to do childlike or teenagerly things, nor how they keep up with societal changes, so in most cases it seems like it's not ...more
machinaheart
Loved it to no end as a child, and I still do. (I didn't have - need to! - that many cassettes to listen to, I loved the ones I had so much I could never get enough of them.)
It's quirky and funny, cute and the right kind of scary for the age-group it was written for (which makes it funny to adults I think.) I especially love the German voice actors of Anton, Rüdiger and the narrator. (That narrators is just wonderful. The right kind of read-aloud-voice.)

Totally still letting the window open for
Annette Boehm
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Not sure if the English translation does it justice, as I read it in the original (German), but as a kid I loved the stories. There is a whole series of (short) books. The little vampire is a good friend, but his family are a different story. And then there's of course a grown-up who wants to hunt down the vampires -- thank goodness he's no match for the boys. As a kid, I felt sorry for the little vampire's older brother who is forever stuck in puberty, zits and all, because that's when he got b ...more
Lynn Demsky
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"An ordinary 9-year-old boy, is fascinated by vampires until befriending one (called Rüdiger) of a vampire clan, the Schlottersteins, who reside in the local cemetery. Little by little, Anton befriends Rüdiger’s younger sister Anna and older brother Lumpi. Anton undertakes frequent nightly “trips” with Rüdiger and Anna, wherein Anton must hide his presence (and his friendship with Rüdiger) from hostile vampires, his own parents, and the fanatic Geiermeier, the cemetery's caretaker."
Oliver Eike
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny, childrens-book
Read this as a kid, i think i had just about every book in the series at one point.

I remember really treasuring these books as a kid, and i still remember them with a smile on my lips.

Definatly helped fuel my curiosity in Vampires as a kid. Read this a bunch of times as a kid untill i finally got my grubby little paws on Dracula.

Recomended for kids or people who havent let their hearts be swallowed up by banality.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Post für den Tiger
  • The Little Ghost
  • Der Trotzkopf
  • Am Samstag kam das Sams zurück (Sams, #2)
  • Jim Knopf und Lukas der Lokomotivführer
  • Pünktchen und Anton
  • Pongwiffy: A Witch of Dirty Habits
  • Koirien Kalevala
  • Madita
  • Ben liebt Anna
  • Urmel aus dem Eis (Urmel, #1)
Angela Sommer-Bodenburg is the author of a number of fantasy books for children. Her most famous contribution to the field of children's fantasy is "The Little Vampire" series which has sold over 10 million copies and has been translated into over 30 languages. Sommer-Bodenburg states that her "vampire is not a bloodthirsty monster, however, but an affectionate little vampire with fears and foible ...more

Der kleine Vampir (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Little Vampire Moves In