Start by marking “Room 13” as Want to Read:
Room 13

Room 13

(Fliss Morgan #1)

Somebody was in there. Somebody—or something...

There is no room thirteen in the creepy Crow's Nest Hotel, where Fliss and her friends are staying on a school trip. Or is there? For at the stroke of midnight, something peculiar happens to the door of the linen cupboard next to room 12. And something is happening to Ellie-May Sunderland, too—something very sinister...

A grip
Published 1998 by Heinemann Educational Publishers (first published 1989)

R. Kitt
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 A Trashy Flashlight, A Stick of Rock, A Pebble, and A Kite Stars

I had fun going back and finally reading the entirety of this kid's story.

Felicity (Fliss) Morgan wakes up from an ominous nightmare before she has to go for her class trip (she's in 2nd year). Once at The Crow's Nest Hotel (the class' lodging while sightseeing for their trip) Fliss finds out about a mysterious room that shows the number thirteen only when it's around midnight. She tells her friend Lisa and a few other classmate
Joey Woolfardis
A spooky linen cupboard in a hotel makes Fliss think there's something not quite right happening in the seaside town of Whitby...

This is really cute little book, despite it being a "horror". A horror for children, of course. I wasn't wholly convinced by the dialogue, and I am sadly a bit too old to really care for the storyline, but it was utterly charming to be completely transported. Whitby is almost a second home to me and I was walking down every street and entering every single shop with th
Amanda
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this novel as a nine-year-old, and then insisted on reading it to my brother. He has since read it to both of my nephews. For a child, it gives a delicious thrill. Swindells is a very effective horror writer. More importantly, for me, he gets the dialogue pitch perfect for children. The backdrop of the school trip will remind anyone of the trips they took while at school, from the coach trip to being allocated rooms to sneaking around at night. This is a great novel as well for relu ...more
Ahmad
Dec 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I read this at school
Emma
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was absolutely brilliant. One thing I never knew before I read it; Dracula lives in a hotel. Haha, who knew?

Seriously though, it is an amazing read and I definitely recommend it to any YA readers. I first read this book in my English class at school when I was about 14, at first I wasn't too into it, but after the first couple of chapters I really started to like it. Every English lesson I became very excited to continue with the book. It has been a favourite of mine for a lo
Rachel
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a gripping story. Cannot wait to share this with my class!
Bette
Dec 27, 2013 rated it liked it
It has been some years since I read this book. 10 maybe? Yikes. It was back when I was in the first few years of comprehensive school so between 11 and 14. What I do remember though is that I absolutely loved it. I picked it up because my favourite number is actually 13. So I am drawn to a lot of things with 13 in them, some shape or form.

The book itself is about a group of tennagers who go on a schooltrip to Whitby and stay in a hotel. The main protagonist (Fliss I think) realises there is no
Shauna Jane
Room 13 was a great story, it was about some school kids about 12 or 13 going on a school trip to Whitby, then they end up going to a stange hotel called The Crows Nest. I would say that the main genre is horror with a bit of imagination in it.

Fliss is one of the main charcters with her best friend Lisa, there are some boys which are in there to, I would say that they are likable because I liked them. I liked Lisa and Fliss and the boys because it feeled like I was there with them feeling there
Les McFarlane
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous little spooky story! Fliss has a vivid dream the night before her class leaves for a residential trip to Whitby. The dream shakes Fliss up to the point where she doesn’t want to go. But with the light of the next day comes Fliss’ resolve to go and have a good time. This will not be the class holiday she was hoping for.
Her dream starts to rip through into reality. She does have friends who help her to crack the mystery of room 13. They need to be more courageous than they’ve ever needed
Sophie
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was read to me at school when I was about 8/9 years old and I loved it. I have been looking for my own copy since my teacher read it. I am now 24 and I finally found a copy yesterday in Whitby (I know!). The story had stayed with me since I first heard it but it was great to reread it and have my own copy for my bookcase. I mean is is the book that made me fall in love with the supernatural and is probably why I love Whitby and Dracula so much!
Molly
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Beware the Room of Doom!

A book my Mum would read with her Year 6 class in the early 2000s. Feels old-fashioned (published in 1989), which only adds to it's charm. An easy read with some cool characters. A bit of a Goosebumps feel - but maybe not as scary? Glad I dipped into this old skool number. Worth a read if you want something a bit different!
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One of the first audiobooks I listened to when I was younger. Was one I always listened to!
Dannielle Potts
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
How Sad That This Took Me Years To Read. I Started This Long Ago, Many Times But The Threat Of What Was Behind Room 13's Door Always Made Me Stop. So, At The Grand Age Of 28 I Delved In Again & Managed To Finish It. The Fact That The Writing Scared Me So Much Back Then Makes This A Great Book
Racheline Keto
May 13, 2010 rated it liked it
this book is about a class that when into an hotel and there was something wrong about it.This genre is horror you can tell because of the front cover and how the girl is opening the door.

The charecters are very likabel because when there acting you can tell if there rude of there sceared sometime they don't like each other but in the end the are triying to find out what is going on in the hotel.

I like when one charecter called fliss what triying to find out what was happening and why every nigh
Fatima
May 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The book is about room 13
fliss has a bad dream and then she gose to her mum and says i dont want to go to the trip and then the mum says dont worry
its just a dream it want happen.The next day
she went to the trip and then i came true.
when she first got there her teachers were puting them in rooms.fliss got room 10 and besid her room there was a cupbored
and it was room 13.her friend lisa went to the shop and bought
a toughch and then her teacher found out and had to write and sorry letter and l
Gloria
May 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
genre:horror
a girl called fliss had a scary dream.then when she goes on the trip all the things in her dream start comming true.they spy on ellie-may because they thought she was in trouble.

yes i think the characters are realistic because when you read the book it feels like your in the book and your with them.

i liked everything about the book it was scary but not to scary it was interesting.

yes i like younger readers to read this and incoruge other people to read it
Stephanie Oliviera
May 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
the book is about a girl who as a bad dream and she wakes up in the middle in the night and her mums runs to her bedroom and her mum says "go ahead with the tirp everying will be good in the moring".The genre is horror.Fliss is a good,beauitful,nice and she is a scary-cat, she has a good friendship with Lisa,Lisa is best friends with Fliss and she bought a little torch and she got in trubble,Gary is mean to fliss and rude,Trot is nice to Fliss and is best friends with Gray

Christina
Apr 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I LOVED THIS BOOK. I read it repeatedly in primary school, although I can't remember the end. And I remember going to a different library and borrowing "Room 13", and it ended up being a completely different book, and I loved that one too, but I could never find it again...
Sally68
Mia figlia darebbe una stellina in più...
Corto, poco piu di cento pagine, scorrevole, di facile comprensione, adatto per avvicinare i ragazzi ai primi libri "da paura" ..
Mia figlia si è appassionata...
L.H. Johnson
Apr 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this as a kid and enjoyed revisiting it. It's competent and coherently written. Very accessible to the developing reader and perfect for reading out loud. Chapter 13 in particular is very exciting...
Molly Felton
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read the first chapter in a lesson at school and I wanted to know what happened next. I really enjoyed reading room 13 because the author gets you drawn to it from the first paragraph. I liked this book so much that I read it in less than 2 days.
Rebecca
Jan 15, 2017 rated it liked it
-Read this for school back in 2011
-Loved it, though I think this was mostly because it takes place in Whitby- which is like a second home to me.
Kirsty
Mar 15, 2016 rated it liked it
A kids version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer - surprisingly scary given that it's aimed at Key Stage 2/3. I definitely would have enjoyed this as a teenager!
Robyfri
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
La storia narra di eventi strani che coinvolgono Fliss (Felicty) e altri tre suoi compagni di scuola, durante una gita scolastica di alcuni giorni.
Nell’albergo in cui alloggiano, “Il nido del corvo”, infatti, un armadio a muro allo scoccare della mezzanotte diventa la stanza numero 13 ed Ellie-May, un’altra loro compagnia, entra e vi resta per circa un’ora: cosa avviene in quella stanza? E perché Ellie-May il mattino dopo è così stanca e malata? Quale agghiacciante mistero si nasconde in quell’a
Scott Wilson
Read for an S1 class.

Heavy on plot - which is as much about a school trip as it is about whatever's going on in the titular room - Room 13 is a useful introduction to genre for young students. With a small cast of characters and just enough spookiness to keep the pages turning, it's an appropriate overture for horror before bringing on the big guns.

Read at the right age, it has that familiarity all kids can get lost in; that feeling of an unfamiliar location bringing with it unfamiliar spaces. A
Hayley
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Emma
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
First Easter read complete! A quick read as the book was quite gripping that I wanted to know what exactly was in Room 13, or more accurately how the students were going to stop it.
The book is very English using a lot of slang and representing a school system that I am still not entirely familiar with and some of the references have not aged well, but aside from that, it's a great scary story to recommend to middle grade readers who want a good thrill without too many nightmares!
Stephen Connor
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 52books2017
Fliss is off to Whitby for a class residential, only before she goes she experiences a nightmare that slowly begins to become true.

At midnight, mysterious things start to happen at room number 13, including sleep-walking, illness and mirages, but will anybody believe Fliss - and will she be able to do anything about it?

ElishaHarrison
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Julie
Jun 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Read to see if it would be suitable for my class - not really!
ROOM 13 BY ROBERT SWINDLES 1 7 Mar 29, 2013 03:09AM
  • Speciale Violante
  • Mama, Let's Dance
  • Whispers in the Graveyard
  • The Waitress
  • Losing the Plot (Angels Unlimited, #2)
  • Murder in Paradise (Sweet Valley High Super Thriller, #6)
  • Little Miss Chatterbox