Start by marking “Monastic Practices” as Want to Read:
Monastic Practices

Monastic Practices

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  39 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Monks and nuns have preserved courtesies, devotions, and contemplative disciplines which the rest of the christian world has lost. In this introduction to the world of the cloister, Fr Cummings explains the origins, and the continuing value, of monastic practices.
Paperback
Published November 1st 1986 by Cistercian Publications (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Monastic Practices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monastic Practices

Andrew Doohan
For anyone who has even the remotest connection with the monastic life, for example as an Oblate of a Benedictine house, there is much in this book to assist them in deepening their understanding of that particular form of religious life. With necessary adaptions from the clearly monastic thrust of the book, which would be a very wonderful guide for the new arrival or novice, the reach of this book reaches beyond the monastic enclosure into the broader desire of some believers for a specific way ...more
Thomas Stama
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very interesting. Good coverage about western monasticism.

Reading it, I reflected on community and being more kind and loving. Chapter X on Community and Communications gave many insights that we can all use.

When I read the chapter on Stability, I wonder if he ever came across the early Christian work called the Shepherd of Hermas? If I remember it correctly, this work pushed to be less double minded and steadfast.
Joshua Booher
I read as part of the Oblation Formation program at the local convent. At times, the author seems out of touch with life outside his monastery. In spite of this, he provides helpful gems for making monastic practices part of your daily life.
Dom William OSB
This is a nuts and bolts look at the monastic life and very finely written, we use it for training those who are hoping to become novices....and also within the novitiate...
Liza Ann  Acosta
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. Makes me want to be in a monastery again. Just hope to take some ideas for my busy life.
Erica