Start by marking “BOB Books Set 2: Advancing Beginners” as Want to Read:
BOB Books Set 2: Advancing Beginners

BOB Books Set 2: Advancing Beginners

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  462 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Bob Books are back, now with a bright, unique box display and colored illustrations throughout that make learning to read even more fun!

Bob Books Set 2: Advancing Beginners

Bob Books Set 2 continues to build reading skills. Use of three-letter words and consistent vowel sounds in slightly longer stories build confidence. Children love the hilarious (and sometimes mischievou
Published May 1st 2006 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published April 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about BOB Books Set 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about BOB Books Set 2

Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Not too long ago, I finally decided to crack down on my 5 1/2 year old son regarding reading. He had been too lazy, just wanting me to read to him and not trying to learn how to read himself. Good thing he loves me reading to him though or I wouldn't have had very good leverage for this to work. I started a new rule where he had to read me a book everyday if he wanted to have me read to him. It was rough going through the Bob Books Set 1-Beginning Readers, but we did it. When we got to set 2, I ...more
Latasha Beckman
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We liked the book

The book was great, says my five-year old son. My son enjoyed the themes of the each story. I (mom) liked the short vowel word practice, and repetitive Site words, e.g., was, saw, and at and am words.
Tiffany
When my daughter transferred to an academically-focused preschool, we were pleasantly surprised to be introduced to the Bob Book Series. She began with Set 1 knowing very few sight words. But we read the books every day, and before we knew it, she had mastered sets 1-5 by the end of the year! Over the summer, she mastered the Kindergarten and First Grade sets as well. We also purchased the Level 1 books for her, and she LOVES them. We had her tested with the WJ-III the week before Kindergarten, ...more
Julia Jasztal
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Mommy's review -

I forget when I first found and started Julia on these books but she read Sets 1-3 and they were a major, major help with her learning to read. I know she started on this set before kindergarten, I think it was the beginning of preschool. By the time we should have moved on to sets 4 & 5 she didn't need them.
These sets of small books, combined with being read to, talked to and with correctly, and vocab worked taught her all she needed to know to actually read. She still surp
Charlie
Jan 12, 2014 rated it liked it
These are certainly for advanced beginners and if I didn't know that, it would be a 0 stars.

Title: BOB Books Set 2: Advancing Beginners

11: The Sad Cat
12: 0 to 10
Lorelei
Sep 27, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've homeschooled five of my children, and every single one of them has learned to read by a different method. My youngest is using, and loves, the Bob Books. They are not for everybody - my oldest son taught himself to read with Calvin & Hobbes for instance - but if this sort of things suits a person's learning style, I haven't run into anything better yet.
F. Zahra
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it

Bob Books Set 2 further consolidates the foundations laid in Bob Books Set 1, allowing for plenty of practise - once completed the child should be able to read three letters words and short sentences with greater proficiency.
Nicole
Dec 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
These are great for instilling confidence in a new reader. We found that BOB books aren't necessary after set 2 though, as kids prefer to go onto "real" books and can transition into the leveled readers. (Step into reading, I can read, etc.)
Crawkati
Aug 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a great addition to the first set. It is a good variety, great for boys and girls.
Felicia
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, own
great to help kids learn to read
Bryan Sadowski
Apr 03, 2013 is currently reading it
Great beginner book set. Well done with telling cute stories while repeating words and using rhyming words together to make it easier for kids to remember.
Emily
Dec 11, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not like the book. But I'm happy I read all of it.
Jo
Jan 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrensbooks
Great first readers.
CC
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another great set for building reading skills.
Rochelle Sondae
May 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
I prefer "whole language" readers however, I do like that this series invites the reader to color and to interact with the characters by utilizing the included paper finger puppets.
Kassandra Miller
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
These books take the Dick and Jane stories from our childhood to the next step. They are fun, funny, and easy for kids to use to become first time readers. Highly recommend!
Chak
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid
See notes on first (blue) set of these.
Kristina
May 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
These books are great for beginning readers. They gave my Kindergarten son confidence that he could really do this reading thing!
Stephanie Snyder
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
awesome first readers
One of our family's favorites.
A fun read.
A great choice for every child's bookshelf.
Josiah
Jun 08, 2009 rated it did not like it
This is similar to the first "Bob Book" in content. It could be a good help for those learning how to sound out words.
Kristy G.
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lily (almost 4) is just beginning to recognize a few 3-letter words and these Bob books are perfect for encouraging her.
Jennifer Anne Carton Wade
May 11, 2018
Diana T.
Sep 28, 2014
Yinzadi
rated it did not like it
Aug 28, 2016
Juls
Aug 03, 2014
Crystal Smythe
Jan 08, 2017
  • Sight Words - Kindergarten (Bob Books)
  • Smash Trash! (Disney/Pixar: WALL-E)
  • The Ugly Vegetables
  • May I Please Have a Cookie?
  • Over in the Meadow
  • Froggy Goes to the Doctor
  • Patch (Breyer Stablemates)
  • The Dragon in the Library (Dragon Keepers, #3)
  • Penguins, Penguins, Everywhere!
  • Bright Baby First Words
  • Wiggling Worms at Work
  • Five Little Monkeys Bake a Birthday Cake
  • Pete's Big Lunch (Pete the Cat: I Can Read)
  • Big Little
  • The Jellybeans and the Big Book Bonanza
  • Nate the Great and Me: The Case of the Fleeing Fang (Nate The Great)
  • Shoo, Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #3)
  • Little Kids First Big Book of Animals (National Geographic Kids)
Bobby and John Maslen developed the Bob Books, while Bobby was a teacher of 3 to 5-year-olds at a private school in Portland, Oregon. After many years of self-publishing, Scholastic became Bob Books’ publisher in 1995.
More about Bobby Lynn Maslen