Start by marking “Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1)” as Want to Read:
Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1)

(Starcrossed #1)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  60,022 ratings  ·  5,080 reviews
How do you defy DESTINY?

Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is - no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of thre
Kindle Edition, with Bonus Material, 422 pages
Published May 15th 2012 by HarperCollins (first published May 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Starcrossed, please sign up.
flootzavut It's incredibly poorly written and I can't recommend it either for story, for writing, or even for the romance which is not remotely credible.
Jenny Summer Helen never really clarified the "painful emotional time" or voice it out loud to anyone at all (not even her best friends). She continued to suffer…moreHelen never really clarified the "painful emotional time" or voice it out loud to anyone at all (not even her best friends). She continued to suffer in silence. The author has put herself in the shoes of the adolescent mind. If you were a teenie bopper who had a friend acting all nuts all of a sudden and it was correlated with a new hottie in school, you'd probably think some drama was going on between the two of then as well. You have to remember that the story is written in third person narrative, which means that you have all the answers, but the characters don't.(less)

·  60,022 ratings  ·  5,080 reviews

Steph Sinclair
Mar 25, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone I wish to torture
Recommended to Steph by: That person should run when they see me coming
Kat Kennedy
Vinaya
**EDIT: I originally gave this book three stars, simply because it is based on Greek mythology, and I've had a love affair with Greek mythology since I was a kid. However, upon further consideration and a sudden recall of my Homer and Bullfinch, I am forced to concede that the Greek Mythology in this book is about as authentic as cranberry sauce in a can. So, only two stars, and I'm STILL being generous!

Two Twifans are walking down the street to the cinema

Fangirl 1: ZOMG, I h8 steffie meyer! Y hasn’t she written more Twilcinema
Fangirlgenerous!
Two
Haleema
Beware of spoilers!

Characters:
So this is where I went slightly balistic. I'm going to talk about the two main freaks of the book.

Helen Hamilton:
description

Grams is a Mary Sue. She's so damn perfect and untouchable that it's difficult for me to relate to her. Tall, beautiful, graceful, heavenly. Hence, her nickname, "Heaven Hamilton." Really? She's quite pathetic really. She whines a lot and can't stand if someone makes fun of her, which remindsspoilers!
So
"That's All" Ash
--->WHAT THE HOLY GRENADE WAS THAT?! <---

A damn good book, that’s what that was. ;)

photo tumblrmh4u4ggarz1r31ngf.gif

I am officially a Josephine Angelini fan, that’s for sure. She’s one intelligent, story-choreographic, badass woman! She definitely wrote a book that, from the very first page, has it all:

Romance.
Cait
Apr 11, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: annoying-ending
Blacky *Romance Addict*

This is a story of an impossible love and two people destined to repeat history...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Wanna know who I loved most in the book?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I was never a fan of Helen and Paris, dunno why, and in this book the main couple certainly didn't change my mind.
I l
Krys

I hate to say this but I am going to be tearing this one apart. I think I'm the first person to write a negative review for Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini on the entirety of the internet. But that said, here goes nothing.

This book did nothing for me. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. And here's why.

Starcrossed is set on Nantucket island and features the shy, willowy Helen as she gears up for the first day of her junior year of high school. She and her father live alone and
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
The first time I read this book, I just threw it down 50 pages in in disgust. I absolutely hated the initial pages of the book. Helen was insipid. Despite there being no clear description of her, I could tell that she was going to be another of those I-am-so-pretty-but-I-just-can't-see-it type of girl. Well, she is, and she is so typically Mary Sue, but upon a rereading, the entire book is so well-written and its portrayal of mythology so well-explained and creative that I am so glad I gave this ...more
Kristi
Nov 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone!
Starcrossed is not your typical girl meets boy they fall in love and defeat the bad guy together. No, it’s much much MORE. I absolutely adored this book! I was left thinking about it long after I finished this enthralling story that entwines Greek mythology and modern day times so flawlessly and with such vivid accuracy I almost question if Ms. Angelini had witnessed the Gods-and all that that entails-herself.

Helen has lived her entire life on Nantucket Island, she’s always known she was
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Lola
May 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of mythology and fast-paced books!

*2.5 stars*
Genres: YA, mythology, romance, paranormal
Themes: friendship, love, destiny
POV: 3rd person and female
Pacing: fast
Its best element: the mythology

description

This review is very personal and ‘in my opinion.’

Somehow, I knew I wasn’t going to love Starcrossed. I kept, for the past two year, passing by it, at the library, and never actually borrowing it. Why? Well, I do like books with gorgeous covers but, this one, was too chclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Thisfast
stars*
Kristi
Oct 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Greek Mythology! YAY!

Starcrossed is completely addicting.... I read these 400 some pages in one afternoon, because I simply could not stop.

I don't know it if was because I found the story so addicting or if it was because I was enchanted by the cast of characters. Either way Starcrossed was an unforgettable read. Helen is a normal teenager, well as normal as a teenage demigod is. I like that Helen knew she was different, but didn't exactly know what that meant. This wasn't a story w
Amy Plum
WOW!!! I really loved this book. Just finished it a few hours ago, and my mind keeps dragging me back to go over one detail or another. I love characters whose personalities aren't clear-cut black or white - ones who are motivated by both good and evil. And Josie's addition of the Furies makes this possible.

I love the fact that she takes ideas from ancient literature and molds them into something that works well in a contemporary story. Placing the story on the island of Nantucket is pure geniu
Zoë Marriott
Mar 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE BLURB:

How do you defy destiny?

Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is — no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has n
Phrynne
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On one hand this book is without a doubt a direct rip off of Twilight. So many similarities not just in the setting and the characters but down to whole scenes such as Lucas spending the night in Helen's room with her father in the house and leaving in the morning by jumping out of the window. The only thing different was the characters' names.
On the other hand it was still a very entertaining book with many likable characters and a fun, interesting story very loosely based on Greek mythology. The
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
I adored the first 100 pages. The writing was beautiful, I loved the small island atmosphere that was being set up. The whole tone actually just had me enamoured. Then the love interest made his entrance, and the tension was so engaging because Helen wanted to kill him, she was going to weird places in her dreams and I was like YES here for it.

Then she started to fall in love with Lucas and that's where my enjoyment completely dropped off. The backstory and mythology took so long to explain, an
Cora Tea Party Princess
BO-RING.

This is easily on Parr with Twilight, Fallen and the Selection. Utter tripe. It was a good idea but the execution was painful and uninspiring.

I wanted to grab Helen and shake her by the shoulders screaming "GO BACK TO NURSERY YOU SPOILT, PETULANT LITTLE CHILD!" She was so immature it was infuriating. Oh, and she's a special Mary Sue too. The most beautiful, the most powerful, the fastest, the freaking best at everything and INDESTRUCTIBLE. Seriously. Now let me go
mina
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who wants to suffer
Shelves: read-2019, read-2017

It’s interesting how writing of YA books has changed over time, how it got better, or maybe this wasn’t that great to begin with no matter what year it was written/published.

Reading this for the second time was a torture. I don’t remember much of the book since reading it first, I know I liked the mythology but wasn’t much impressed with the rest. I kinda wish I didn’t re-read it. When irritating and stupid things happen in books that I read I like to take a pause, half clos
Hillary
May 13, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: greek-mythology
What a ridiculous and embarassing book. I won’t ever read the next books in the series and other books by this author. This book was enough to turn me into a very angry person.
Half of the ideas in this book are good ones, the problem is that they’re developed in an awful way. And the author’s writing is like the one of a 10-year-old.
The dialogue is stupid and incoherent, even adults feel like 13-year-olds. Jerry should be the father? To me it was like Helen was his mother.
Chara
Merary
Amber
Jan 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very very good. I was unsure when I started it, having received a proof to read before publication, but a few chapters in and I was hooked!
Angelini's use of Greek mythology adds a new spin to the relatively saturated 'Supernatural Romance' Genre that has suddenly exploded in teenage fiction. Helen and Lucas' cursed love story is touching and worth the read.
Vi Vi
Mar 08, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm getting this out of the library first, because I'm iffy about it. It seems like it could be interesting or just more angsty teen romance fair which I've honestly had enough of. But I'm holding out because it involves the Trojan War. Please dear god Josephine, don't do to greek mythology what Stephenie Meyer did to vampires.

I love Homer, so if this is just the Hot Topic/CW Network/Gossip Girl/Twilight version of the Iliad, I will honestly slit my stuffed animal's throat.
Jess
Starcrossed - another Twilight ripoff.

This is a grim mockery of Greek mythology. No, this book is sacrilege.

description

The characters were insufferable idiots, the most noteworthy is Heroine Helen Hamilton (lovin' that alliteration btw). Her résumé: stereotypically shy, awkward, clumsy... oh, and did I mention, she's unbelievably hot? Well, never fear, because Josephine Angelini will remind you several hundred times.

Starcrossed - another Twilight ripoff.

This is a grim mockery of Greek mythology. No, this book is sacrilege.

description

All hail "Heaven Hamilton". (Yes, this is actually her nickname.)

Please just die already.

description

Oh whoopie doo dah, a forbidden romance! The thing is, I hated both characters so it was kind of amusing knowing that they couldn't be together. Lucas, the supposed 'love interest' is a controlling fuck-boy with no substance whatsoever - just let his abs speak for him. Apart from being a bona fide sex god, he is also obsessive and controlling. This book condones abusive relationships:

"I'll just tell him [Helen's FATHER] you abuse me."
"And I'll let him know that you like it."

description

I saved my favourite until last:

Helen decided that if Lucas was gay then she was going to have a sex change operation . He would be so worth it.

So, Helen. What are your views on the modern, independent woman? How did you react to Grease's Sandy completely changing herself for that man who could 'keep her satisfied'? I hear she actually 'put up a fight' at first!

I rest my case.
Sam
Read more of my reviews at Falling Books!

Starcrossed is a book full of fun and action. It's an emotional rollercoaster. It will make you laugh, smile, cry and all the other complicated emotions that I can't explain. Josephine Angelini has created an exciting and dangerous world full of demigods and forbidden love that you can't get enough of.

Are you tired of reading about Vampires, Wolves, Fairies, Witches and Angels? Then Starcrossed is for you! If you think you know all the paranormal beings out there then y
Lamia
Mar 18, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This can also be seen at The Book Eater

Actual rating: 2.5 stars

I was so very excited to read this. I basically pounced on the galley as soon as it was available.

I'm going to preface this by saying that this review is subjective. I think a lot of people will like this book. It just... Wasn't for me.

Throughout the whole thing, I kept finding similarities to Twilight. Helen, the narrator, is shy and extremely introverted - like Bella. She's gorgeous, but doesn't sus
leni
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
YEEEESSSS
I really liked that one. The story is great and the boys are total eye-candy. Well, I might not be able to actually look at them, but the images my brain came up with didn't disappoint me!
(Especially not Hector ehehehehe)
I've always been a huge fan of everything greek and godly, so it's kind of obvious that Starcrossed had to be on my read-this-or-die list. At the beginning I was afraid it would be a total Helen and Paris love story (it is, but in a good way!), but we get so much more
Caylynn Bleess
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reread #3. 4.25/5 stars
“So, what can't you take? Decide which of the two options is harder, and do the other. That way, no matter how hard your choice turns out to be, at least you can find comfort in knowing you're avoiding something even worse.”

It's funny how, every time I reread this trilogy, I'm hit with just how far out of my usual genres of preference it is. Romance heavy, with starcrossed lovers and high school drama. But if you pair that with Greek heroes and reincarnation and centuries
Colleen Houck
If you like Greek mythology then this book should be right up your alley. Helen is a great heroine and Lucas is pretty amazing as well. ;) The Fates creep me out. I can totally picture them too which doesn't help with the creep factor. I was really liking Castor as the bad guy so now I wonder what Josie has in store for the next book. Can someone be even worse than that? Shudder. My favorite part? The flying. You'll see.
Blythe
I was going to give this an extremely generous two stars, but then the last hundred pages happened. (And I came to my senses and realized that this book is freaking awful.)

Review to (eventually) come.

• Hereafter (Hereafter, #1)
  • Timeless (Timeless, #1)
  • Carrier of the Mark (Carrier, #1)
  • Shattered Souls (Souls, #1)
  • Warped
  • Ripple
  • Abandon (Abandon, #1)
  • Falling Under (Falling Under, #1)
  • Sweet Venom (Medusa Girls, #1)
  • Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test, #2)
  • A Beautiful Dark (A Beautiful Dark, #1)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Blood Magic (The Blood Journals, #1)
  • The Redemption of Ajax (The Mephisto Covenant, #1)
  • Wake Unto Me
  • Die for Me (Revenants, #1)
  • Haven (Winterhaven, #1)
  • A Need So Beautiful (A Need So Beautiful, #1)
Josephine Angelini is a Massachusetts native and the youngest of eight siblings. She graduated from New York University's Tisch School of the Arts in theater, with a focus on the classics. She now lives in Los Angeles with her husband and daughter.

Starcrossed (3 books)
  • Dreamless (Starcrossed, #2)
  • Goddess (Starcrossed, #3)
“I don’t care how hard being together is, nothing is worse than being apart.” 648 likes
“She decided that if Lucas was gay then she was going to have to get a sex change operation. He would be so worth it.” 546 likes