Start by marking “Auftakt (Dancing Jax, #1)” as Want to Read:
Auftakt (Dancing Jax, #1)

Auftakt

(Dancing Jax #1)

Einige Bücher sind schädlich, sogar gefährlich. Sie verdrehen einem den Kopf und geben den dunkelsten Seiten der menschlichen Seele Nahrung. Sie sollten verbannt oder vernichtet werden. Diese Geschichte handelt von solch einem Buch. Ich hoffe, es gibt noch genug von euch da draußen, die das hier lesen und mir glauben und sich zur Wehr setzen können – bevor es zu spät ist. ...more
Published September 3rd 2012 by script5 (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Auftakt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Auftakt

J, is NOT for Jarvis.

NONE OF THE STARS! Translated to: 1 Star

As a reader I don't like loathing books. Go check out my books-i-loathed shelf; its pretty sparse. There's a reason for that, and its this: even if I, personally, don't enjoy a book I can usually see some merit in it. I ACTIVELY HATED Dancing Jax! With every fiber of my being,hated it! And that annoys me!

No #1: Real world vs. Fictional world. A writer should NEVER compare real world big bads to fictional world big bads, EVER! By com
Shiku
Sep 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Die deutsche Rezension findet ihr hier.
___________________________

Words are powerful and some books are so dangerous they should never be read. The Dancing Jacks’ is such a book, but so far nobody knows that. When it is put into circulation few are interested and nobody realizes how much it changes its readers: they start to manically rock back and forth while reading, express themselves in an odd way and act illogically, but those are only the most prominent symptoms. People start to believe th
Darren Hartwell
Feb 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, horror
If Stephen King were to write a book for young adults then I would imagine it would be something very much like Dancing Jax. Although Robin Jarvis suggests that he doesn't see himself as a horror author, this book is as chilling as anything the great King has published. Reading it certainly made me feel the same as I did when I first read 'Salem's Lot, which was very nervous indeed. I don't scare easily these days, and I totally love horror films, but both of these stories had me feeling on edge ...more
Megan Pratt
This book was so horrendously mediocre that it would be better if it were ridiculously bad. The whole book is cliche and predictable, and as a teen I am offended that this is considered "teen lit." Yeah, right.
The book was weak, the characters were flimsy, and it jumped around so much. The inserts about unicorns and werewolves and shepherds and whatnot were so incredibly drawn on that I needed to take a break between inserts.
I do NOT recommend this book for anyone with a high intelligence. If
Kerstin
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-2012, re-read
(1st read: September 27, 2012 - September 30, 2012)

Kurzbeschreibung:
Einige Bücher sind schädlich, sogar gefährlich. Sie verdrehen einem den Kopf und geben den dunkelsten Seiten der menschlichen Seele Nahrung. Sie sollten verbannt oder vernichtet werden. Diese Geschichte handelt von solch einem Buch. Ich hoffe, es gibt noch genug von euch da draußen, die das hier lesen und mir glauben und sich zur Wehr setzen können - bevor es zu spät ist. Ein altertümlich wirkendes und zunächst harmlos erscheine
Mellee Sharon Kal Sharons Books
Dieses Buch ist böse...sehr böse! Wer es liest, verfällt ihm!! Ja, so ging es mir auch.

Angefangen hat alles mit ein paar jungen Menschen, die in ein altes Haus einbrechen und dort eine Kiste mit Büchern finden. Diese Bücher haben den Titel "Dancing Jacks" und sie gehörten einst einem Okkultisten. Natürlich wird die Kiste durch die Menschen geöffnet und jeder bekommt ein Buch. Nach und nach verfallen sie diesem, besonders Jezza, der das Ganze ins Leben ruft, ist besessen von diesem Buch und wird
Бранимир Събев
"Отвъд Сребристото море, обградено от тринайсет зелени хълма се намира чудното кралство на Принца на Зората. Ала в Белия замък тронът стои празен. Цяла вечност изгнаник е принцът и вместо него управлява Измъс, неговият Велик Чародей - до деня, когато той прославен ще се върне и ще се възцари навеки в пълния с блясък."

Така започва "Танцуващият замък" на британския писател Робин Джарвис - една прекрасна фентъзи история, която правеше последните ми десетина жежки нощи доста по-приятни и търпими. Но
Kate
May 07, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Robin Jarvis's books about people
I tried really hard to like this book. Really hard. Like an underperforming child or the cat that pees on the carpet, I made a LOT of excuses for it. Robin Jarvis was one of my all-time favourite authors as a child. I devoured the Deptford Mice and Deptford Histories and felt genuinely bereft when they were finished and there wasn’t more to come. The man can definitely spin a yarn. I have a sneaking suspicion that his novel, Thomas may have in small way changed my life as a child. And discoverin ...more
X
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somewhere between 3 and 4 stars maybe. I found it hard to get into at first because many of the characters were not very likeable, and the likeable ones were not around very long, but by the end it was hard to put down and I am anxious to read book 2 (though that might be due to the less than satisfying ending of this one).
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
So I want these books. All in hardback. Simply because I want to frame the beautiful dust jackets and hang them in my room as art. This cover artist is totally bril.

Why, yes. Yes I am.
Sabrina
Jul 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Um was geht es?

Felixstowe ist eine ruhige und verschlafene Stadt an der Südostküste Englands, doch innerhalb nur einer Woche wird das Leben des Stadtbewohner komplett auf den Kopf gestellt, als eine Buch aus einem geheimnisvollen Geisterhaus auftaucht.

Plötzlich verhalten sich viele Bürger merkwürdig und scheinen wie besessen von diesem Buch zu sein.

Als auch sein Stiefsohn Paul von "Dancing Jax" in seinen Bann gezogen wird, ist dem Mathelehrer Martin Baxter schnell klar, dass er etwas unternehmen
Emma
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book...it got better as it went on and I really appreciated what it was trying to do, but the writing style really wasn't for me. I read the first 100 or so pages of this book a month ago and DNFed it then, I decided to give it another chance and I enjoyed it more than I expected, but it did take me ages to read and the ending wasn't at all satisfying. I don't plan on continuing the series.

This book was a spooky, thriller type novel with some cool fantasy aspects. I am really intrigued by b
Casusangelus
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Inhalt:
Eigentlich führt der Lehrer Martin Baxter ein schönes Leben in der Kleinstadt Felixstowe. Er hat eine wunderbare Lebensgefährtin und versteht sich sehr gut mit ihren Sohn Paul. Bis plötzlich auf einem Flohmarkt das Kinderbuch Dancing Jacks auftaucht. Erst sind die Veränderungen noch nicht so offensichtlich, denn die Bewohner von Felixstowe sind sowieso noch ganz geschockt von einem großen Unglück vor kurzem. Doch als seine Schüler sich plötzlich merkwürdig benehmen, alle nur vom Leben in
Ана Хелс
Доста разочароваща книга – експеримент, със страхотни идеи, но малко кинговско изпълнение , от типа лоши неща се случват на нормални хорица в малки незначителни градчета. А няма друг тип истории, които да не понасям толкова органично. Главните герои, които трябва да са добрите протагонисти, са досадни, посредствени, и с нищо непечелещи симпатия, даже напротив – изпитвах топла злоба при всяка неволя, която ги сполетяваше методично по пътя на завладяването на света от големите лоши демони. И когат ...more
Sonnenkönigin
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Anfangs machen wir Bekanntschaft mit einer Truppe Kleinkrimineller um Oberhaupt Jezza.
Sie steigen des Nachts in ein leerstehendes Haus ein, obwohl manch Beteiligtem das nicht geheuer ist.
Dort wird Jezza jedoch von einem Geist besessen, der ihn fortan kontrolliert. Jezza ist nun der Ismus, der Heilige Magus, Oberhaupt eines Königreichs aus dem Buch "Dancing Jacks".
Dieses ergreift Besitz vom Geist des Lesers und lässt ihn zu einer Figur aus der Geschichte mutieren. Rasend schnell verbreitet sich d
Jesse Owen
Feb 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
Dancing Jax starts with the discovery of an old children’s book which has been hidden away in a kind of haunted house which hasn’t been lived in or touched in years. And that’s quite frankly where it should have stayed. You see the book is not just any book and in the words of some of the characters it’s not even that good a book. But it has captured the hearts and minds of many people in a way that can not be healthy.

It’s a dark story and the house that houses the book matches the tone of the b
Lucy
Ok. Ok. I’ll admit- the only reason I bought this book was because of the cover. It is a beautiful cover with a tattoo like picture on the front, with curls of gold spiralling off out of it. It also has a matt-shiny finish on it, with patterns of Clubs, Hearts, Diamonds and Spades. The inside is as beautiful as well. There is a Spade or a Club where the page number is located. Each chapter has either an excerpt from ‘Dancing Jacks’ or a picture. So that was the reason I picked this book up. I ba ...more
Lynne weir
When I started reading this story I did it with confidence thinking there was no way it would scare me. It was in the teenage section and with a book nothing can jump out and scare you and theres no high tension music to set you on edge. How wrong I was. It was exciting, easy to read and most important it was creepy and at parts I hold my hands up and say scary. I couldn't help but feel a little bit of a shiver on the bit about the house at the beginning and the ending...well it was amasing and ...more
Жор
Apr 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Увлекателното в „Танцуващият замък” идва от факта, че начинът на живот, представен както през детската призма, така и през погледа на възрастните, е плашещо близък до този на всеки един от нас. Препратките към песни, имена на телевизионни предавания и прочие, също са популярни и всеки ги е чувал. Децата са пристрастени към техниката и в частност към компютрите, възрастните са работливи пчелички и винаги имат за какво да се оплачат, а фейсбук е неразривна ч
Bai
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-books
I loved the story of this book. The mythology was superb, as was the writing. The zombie-like card-captives, their mindset and one boy's struggle to escape it, really captivated me. Add to that the short stories that was depicted in the book - the court jester's tricks, the Jack of Diamonds' knavery and the story of the horse.

But amidst it all was the lurking presence of the vile magician and the evil that was the book, slowly ensnaring and captivating its readers...but with a twist ;)

Needless t
Книжни Криле
Трилогията „Танцуващият замък” на Робин Джарвис от самото начало си изглеждаше като нещо, което ще ми се хареса – Young Adult фентъзи хорър, с обещаваща анотация и пищно художествено оформление. Имах добри очаквания от книгите, и още от самото начало искам да ви кажа, че книгите на Джарвис не само ги оправдаха, но и ги надскочиха. Прочетете ревюто на "Книжни Криле":

Nicole
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ein magisches Buch zieht zuerst Kinder und später auch Erwachsene in seinen Bann. Die Menschen glauben Bestandteil der Geschichte zu sein und nehmen diese als ihre Realität an. Jeder, der das Buch liest findet seinen Platz in der Geschichte - wenn's sein muss auch unfreiwillig.

Ich habe die 542 Seiten heute in einem Rutsch durch gelesen. Auch wenn mir im Vorfeld klar war, dass es sich um den Auftakt einer Triologie handelt fand ich das Ende doch sehr abrupt.
Marie
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Am Anfang war alles sehr verwirrend und einige Tatsachen haben mich doch sehr irritiert,zum Beispiel fand ich,dass Pauls Benehmen nicht zu einem 11-jährigen passt,er wirkt viel erwachsener. Doch nichtsdestotrotz war das Buch nach anfänglichen Schwierigkeiten und wenn man sich einmal an die Charaktere gewöhnt hat, unglaublich spannend zu lesen und die Handlung ist echt faszinierend,ich würde sie schon fast als "krank" bezeichnen! Ich will auf jeden Fall wissen,wie es weiter geht!
Ashley
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For the first 100 pages of this book I was confused and bored. Admittedly I was young and was simply needing a pastime. But when I finally realised what was going on I was at the edge of my seat.
This book about a book is twisted and fucking brilliant as a result. I tore through the rest of the book and bought the second.
Matthew
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book. Loved the way the story moves between the different characters and gradually gets darker and darker. By the end of the book still the story has hardly even begun and apparently the sequel is due for Feb 2012 :O All the characters are amazing in their own way and basically can't wait for more :D
Fiona Mcdonald
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy this book and the next one in the series as well. It was horrifying and I had the most deliciously terrifying dreams each night after reading it.
My only criticism is the long wait for the third book to come out. Too, too long. Mr Jarvis please write something even more malevolent next time, and quicker too please.
Lucy
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a SPECTACULAR book that has a mix of all my favourite genres! Crime, Horror, Mystery and loads of SUSPENCE it kept me on the edge of my seat!! (should be a film:)
Jude
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I really enjoyed this book - it's fairly easy to read but is a little bit dark, a bit cultish, and a bit creepy. I'm looking forward to the sequel coming out soon.
Sara
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i really liked the idea of the book, although the beginning of the book is really confusing without any explanation what is going on
Boogle
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book. Although it took a while to get into, once the story started going, I couldn't put it down. Can't wait for the next one.
  • Mister Creecher
  • Tyme's End
  • Alles muss versteckt sein
  • Buried Thunder
  • Der Sarg
  • Phantasmen
  • Elfenmagie (Elvion, #1)
  • The Opposite of Amber
  • Die Entscheidung (Das Tal Season 2, #4)
  • Seelenangst (Clara Vidalis, #2)
  • Everybody Jam
  • Everlasting: Der Mann, der aus der Zeit fiel
  • Die Verratenen (Die Verratenen, #1)
  • Stadt aus Trug und Schatten (Schattenwelt, #1)
  • Lycana (Die Erben der Nacht, #2)
  • Dornenkuss (Splitterherz, #3)
  • Die Blutlinie + Der Todeskünstler : Doppelband
  • The 13th Horseman (Afterworlds, #1)
Robin Jarvis (born May 8, 1963) is a British children's novelist, who writes fantasy novels, often about anthropomorphic rodents and small mammals – especially mice – and Tudor times. A lot of his works are based in London, in and around Deptford and Greenwich where he used to live, or in Whitby.

His first novel – The Dark Portal, featuring the popular Deptford Mice – was the runner up for the Smar

Dancing Jax (3 books)
  • Freax and Rejex (Dancing Jax #2)
  • Fighting Pax (Dancing Jax #3)
“There is no evil in the darkness, it's just an absence of light.” 4 likes