Start by marking “Essential Scrum: A Practical Guide to the Most Popular Agile Process” as Want to Read:
Essential Scrum: A Practical Guide to the Most Popular Agile Process

Essential Scrum: A Practical Guide to the Most Popular Agile Process

(A Mike Cohn Signature Book)

A Practical Guide to the Most Popular Agile Process The Single-Source, Comprehensive Guide to Scrum for All Team Members, Managers, and Executives If you want to use Scrum to develop innovative products and services that delight your customers, Essential Scrum is the complete, single-source reference you've been searching for. Leading Scrum coach and trainer Kenn ...more
Published July 26th 2012 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published July 1st 2012)

Ben Linders
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is about getting more out of Scrum, an intro to Scrum and its values, principles and practices, and a source of inspiration on how to apply it. This practical Scrum guide can help you how to plan and execute projects with Scrum, and on interfacing parts of the organization that use Agile with parts that don't, which is crucial to assure successful Agile software development.

For a detailed review of this book, and an interview with the author Ken Rubin, see http://www.infoq.com/article
Saeed Mehraboon
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: en, علمی
I've read this book along migrating to scrum on the business and can not say how much it helped me get there. There are not much difference about order of the chapters and every time I read a chapter, according to my experience found new things to learn.
If you plan to migrate to scrum, try the last chapter first ;)
Gashtasb Mozaffarian
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
اگر به Agile علاقه دارید حتما حتما حتما این کتاب رو بخونید!
تقریبا یکی از بهترین کتابهایی هست که میتونید در اینباره بخونید, شاید خیلی از مباحثش رو از قبل بدونید اما...
Christophe Addinquy
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People in Scrum projects wanting to strengthen their knowledge
Shelves: agile
Well, it's more than the "essentials". While it covers the basis, it also cover the "admitted practices" and even more. The content of the book is really strong and the author have a proven mastery in each of then.
However, the way Scrum is covered here makes it a "Shu level" or "Ha level", while Scrum by essence is "Ri level", an unfortunate way to misdirect the practitioner. But you are well aware of it: have fun, it's a great content !
Ma note de lecture en français ici
Mark
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I expected an excellent framework for agile product development (and got it), yet this book goes farther... it provides methods/attributes of leadership that are critical to Scrum success, are highly productive and leverage knowledge of the development team. It's great for managers and anyone with vested interest in getting results from highly creative teams.
Angie Malaier
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
To paraphrase the good reverend from COMING TO AMERICA, "If lovin' software development is wrong....I don't wanna be right."

The author has written a truly easy to read and interesting text on Scrum. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to learn this style of iterative development. I'll be using this as a go to reference for a long time to come. Thanks and kudos, Mr. Rubin!
Lars De Richter
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great introduction to using Scrum in all types of organisations. Everything is explained in great detail And the diagrams serve as à great summary. I will certainly turn back to thuis book as a reference.
Dariusz
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The best and essentian of scrum
Ed van der Winden
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very readable and comprehensive work on agile and scrum in particular. Excellent reference material.
Felipe Cañas
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: software
I had been warned that this book was very "hand-wavy", which I understood as it making many assertions without solid proof. In a way this is true, as human processes are always notably difficult to quantify and measure, at least in my experience.

However, the book does do a good job of explaining the agile framework that is Scrum. The author uses anecdotal experience to compare traditional waterfall-style development processes with it, and why Scrum comes out on top. The arguments are not based o
Anthony
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book to understand how Scrum works and to get concrete example of how one can implement an Agile process. It didn't disappoint. The book covers each concept, step by step, in a logical order so every idea builds from those that came before it. One of the best parts is that or covers general business practices that are often absent from the modern workplace:

- How to account for the costs and benefits that determine if a project should be abandoned
- Consequences of technical debt
- The
Navila Uddin
This became a top choice to read in a book club format with my team. We wanted to be better aligned with scrum best practices.

It is an excellent reference book - it introduces helpful concepts and diagrams that gave us the ability to reflect on our team's agile process. Some of these insights were communicated upstream to the leads and they are driving change to the agile process (Example: how we review sprints company wide)

The thing about reference books is that if someone were to ask me what
Nguyen Huu Anh Vu
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book explores and explains in detail the essential parts of Scrum:
- Agile principles: 3 pillars (Inspection, Adaptation and Transparency), Less up-front more just-in-time, focus on idle work rather than idle worker, fast feedback workflow
- Roles and their Responsibilities: Product Owner, Scrum Master, Developer and Manager (not an official Scrum role, but important in many organizations)
- Artifacts and Processes: Product Planning, Daily Scrum, Sprint planning, burndown chart, documentation..
Fabiano Cerqueira
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book really surprised me. It delivers more than "the essentials" it advertises. The chapters are well organized and cover every aspect of the Scrum process with clarity and objectiveness. The language is fluid, and besides its 400+ pages, it's never a boring reading. The whole Scrum process is described with practical examples, which gets you right into the day-by-day routine of an agile team.
The book is aimed at people who are starting or planning to start with Scrum, but it also adds valu
Georgi Mirchev
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
It is an interesting but way too filled with unnecessary content. I mean that the author uses so much words to describe something so simple that I feel like he does it just to fill the pages. That's why it took me so much team to go through it all. Other than that, it has some great practical examples, a lot of images describing the whole idea behind Scrum and Agile. I liked it, but it could be way shorter.
Uriel Vidal
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scrum
Es una referencia para aquellos que empezamos en scrum, sus ejemplos son sencillos y a pesar de que como el mismo autor dice: es mejor aprendiendo scrum practicando que con los libros, sin embargo saber el porqué de las herramientas que usa y como es que funciona le mejora continua, ademas de que explica muy bien en donde y donde no aplicar scrum, nos da una sensación de tranquilidad a la hora de aplicar scrum.

Definitivamente un libro de cabecera para el uso de scrum.
K
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I give this book high marks because it is indeed a good guide to Scrum. That being said, I would say it's pretty text bookish, so I started to skim it about 1/3 of the way through, rather than read word for word. Still good info, since the company I just started working for uses Scrum principles for software development. I'll definitely go back to it if I need to utilize the processes in my role.
Oleksandr Bilyk
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Carolyn
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent book on the basics of scrum. Concise and easy to understand. The only downside is that most of the examples are of new product launches. I would have like to see more information on how to handle mature products and teams with multiple product managers.
Mihai Bura
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good guide to first-timers

This book can act as a reference to any team that wants to adopt Scrum. It describes in great detail every ceremony, role, and tasks.
Vatroslav Mileusnić
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Explained Scrum in a very clear way. I think it'll be very useful in the upcoming Scrum sprints I'm about to participate in.
Jason Nash
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If I could I would give this 6 stars practical easy to follow and great illustrations showing how everything works together
Bogdan
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
a very useful book for someone who wants to try Scrum and even think about Scrum@Scale.
coolwind
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good comprehensive book on scrum.
Sean
Nov 20, 2018 rated it liked it
In depth and useful for coming to grips with Scrum methodology.
Michael
Oct 28, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love Scrum, but this book was way too dry and technical.
Mannus
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work-related
I think iT is a good start to get more familiar with the scrum/agile methodology. It describes a lot of common problems and explains truly the essence.
Bram Wijngaarden
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Practical, easy to read overview of scrum practices.
Ana Schiopu
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Almost the same ideas as in the “Agile stories” book, only that this is way more detailed... worth reading
Andrew
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: softwaredev
A good overall guide to the various aspects of Scrum.
Goodreads Librari...: Book Author Name vs. Common Use Author Name 12 60 Dec 30, 2013 08:29AM
Goodreads Librari...: Combining Editions 3 25 Dec 29, 2013 04:53AM
  • Succeeding with Agile: Software Development Using Scrum
  • Kanban and Scrum - Making the Most of Both
  • The Scrum Field Guide: Practical Advice for Your First Year
  • Leading Lean Software Development: Results Are Not the Point
  • Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
  • Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams
  • Agile Project Management with Scrum
  • Agile Product Management with Scrum: Creating Products That Customers Love
  • Agile Software Requirements: Lean Requirements Practices for Teams, Programs, and the Enterprise
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • Two Scoops of Django: Best Practices for Django 1.6
  • Scrum Shortcuts Without Cutting Corners: Agile Tactics, Tools, & Tips
  • Agile Coaching
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation
  • Agile Software Development, Principles, Patterns, and Practices
  • Scaling Lean & Agile Development: Thinking and Organizational Tools for Large-Scale Scrum
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business
  • The Elements of Scrum

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Ken Rubin is Managing Principal at Innolution, a company that provides Scrum and agile training and coaching to help companies develop products in an effective and economically sensible way. A Certified Scrum Trainer, Ken has trained over 20,000 people on agile and Scrum, Kanban, Smalltalk development, managing object-oriented projects, and transition management. He has coached over 200 companies, ...more

A Mike Cohn Signature Book (9 books)
  • The Scrum Field Guide: Practical Advice for Your First Year
  • Succeeding with Agile: Software Development Using Scrum
  • More Agile Testing: Learning Journeys for the Whole Team
  • Agile Game Development with Scrum
  • Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams
  • Agile Product Management with Scrum: Creating Products That Customers Love
  • Large-Scale Scrum: Scaling Agile for Large & Multisite Development
“Scrum embraces the fact that in product development, some level of variability is required in order to build something new.” 0 likes
“Cynefin framework” 0 likes