Start by marking “After: How America Confronted the September 12 Era” as Want to Read:
After: How America Confronted the September 12 Era

After: How America Confronted the September 12 Era

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  45 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The story begins on September 12, 2001. It reads like a novel. But the characters in award-winning journalist Steven Brill's America are real. They don't have all the answers or all the virtues of fictional heroes. It is because they are so human -- so much like the rest of us -- that makes the way they rise to the challenge of September 12 such an inspiring story about ho ...more
Published April 1st 2003 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After

Janet
Feb 28, 2009 is currently reading it
Shelves: non-fiction
Am listening to audio version. It is disturbing to think how selfishly and confusedly our government officials and businessmen handled the aftermath of 9/11. You will cringe at the INS/Homeland Security/Justice Dept antics. There are a few bright spots, but not many and most of those were by individuals, not organizations. If only we had known what was happening, we never would have re-elected Bush.
Scott
Apr 07, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, history
Finished this one today over lunch. Brill tries to put together a history of what happened after the attacks on 9/11 and show his readers "how the sausage was made". The creation of the Department of Homeland Security, the Red Cross donations, the 9/11 victims fund - the backgrounds behind all these are ugly, distressingly so at times. The politicking was ugly, the tragedy was ugly - for America and Americans, it was an ugly time.

Brill's thesis, though - one of hope and Americans getting through
Mary Beth
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great set up for understanding the U.S. in the post-9/11 age. The book opens, briefly, in 9/11/01, and follows a handful of real-life people in diverse roles as each grapples with the year ending on 9/11/02: A 9/11 widow whose husband worked at Cantor Fitzgerald; the general manager of the Memphis airport; Ken Feinberg, the Special Master of the 9/11 Fund; a small businessman whose business was near the World Trade Center; the family of a blue collar worker who died at the World Trade Center; an ...more
CD
Feb 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
An enlightening if at moments a terrifying review of the U.S.A. reaction in the days/weeks/months following the attacks of September 11, 2001.

A must read resource for anyone who wants to have a coherent view of Post 9/11 America.

The author Stephen Brill is like the rest of us in that he's still not 'far enough away' from the event to be completely clinical in his views yet he comes as close as any so far in this first decade post 9/11.

It still seems there are pieces of this story to be told. Th
Jen Yttri (Lynch)
Dec 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was much more interesting than I had predicted. It describes the lives of several different people who were affected by 9/11 (families of victims who initiated funds, politicians, heads of national companies or groups) and how the knowledge we had prior to and after the WTC collapse changed the way the US perceived our safety. Some was kind of shocking, some made me sigh with regret and impatience. Gave me a heightened perspective on our country.
Rick
Aug 20, 2007 rated it it was ok
I actually could never finish this. It tries to be a comprehensive history of what happened after Sept. 11, but feels more like a skimming of too many stories. Plus, this guy's writing is as dry as desert sand. There are very few books I start and do not finish. Didn't hate it, just could not get into it.
David Bales
Feb 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
A somewhat plodding, but informative book, about the six months after 9/11 and the machinations of the Bush Administration, the creation of the Department of Homeland Security, the attempt to placate the families of the victims and the aftermath on the lives of people who were impacted.
Mike
Dec 04, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Seems almost like another world back then when we were united in our sorrow and anger against the terrorists.
Genemar