Start by marking “How to Argue: Powerfully, Persuasively, Positively” as Want to Read:
How to Argue: Powerfully, Persuasively, Positively

How to Argue: Powerfully, Persuasively, Positively

The ability to persuade, influence and convince is a vital skill for success in work and life. However, most of us have little idea how to argue well. Indeed, arguing is still seen by many as something to be avoided at all costs, and mostly it's done poorly, or not at all. Yet it's possibly the most powerful and yet most neglected asset you could have. Discover the art of ...more
Published April 27th 2012 by Pearson FT Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about How to Argue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Argue

Start your review of How to Argue: Powerfully, Persuasively, Positively
Maria
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Captain Obvious in da city
Nathan
Arguments aren’t mathematical proofs, governed by the rules of logic alone. Arguments follow patterns that are dictated by emotions, by cognitive biases, and by habits. This excellent book briefly and clearly lays out the rules of arguments, and gives you the tools to identify and bypass the traps.

An example: Herring has a few questions for you to consider before you even enter an argument:
Could there be a productive outcome from this argument?
Is it better to have the argument in private or with
Laurie Carlson
Yes, for me, a person who has a very difficult time arguing, this book takes the cake! I have not read it exactly word for word, but can tell you I have skimmed it over, read this and that, and from what I have read so far, this WILL help me when it comes to having to be argumentative!
I've never been good at being persuasive, so this WILL help me tremendously, if I have to do it. (I hate having to argue, which is probably why I am not good at it.) It is written very well, and the examples given
Nor Oh
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Constant arguing over and over about same topics with different people and settings, big or small, without any meaningful resolutions tired me out and pushed me to look for this book and it didn't disappoint. True, you already know most things in this book, but none has systematically organized the how-to into a handbook for arguing with productivity and grace.
Willis Whitlock
Jun 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ideas
There is nothing earth shattering here. It's a good overview of logic and other considerations in presenting a good argument.

I read the Kindle version.
Parthiban Vijayaraghavan
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Though the title talks about "How to Argue" essentially its about Influencing, persuading and negotiation. Jonathan has used simple language and with lots of examples, that's what I like about a book, easy to comprehend and actionable. Some of the chapters I specifically liked are First "Be Prepared", preparation is key, keep your facts checked and also be aware of statistical tricks other can use, question the facts/statistics, like who conducted the research, what was the sample size, is ...more
Sarai
Nov 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Buen libro, informativo, con buenos argumentos, pero nada extremadamente especial. Lo que más me gusta es su énfasis en que NO SIEMPRE es bueno discutir. Hay que discernir si es el momento y lugar adecuados, y si esa discusión vale la pena y cómo podría afectar o arruinar nuestra relación con la persona con quien se está discutiendo.
Goutham Jayaprakash
This book has 10 rules that will help you get better in every argument.
I started reading this books because i sometimes lose my temper , so If you feel you always get stuck in an argument you should give this book a read.
The author also gives us various life situations through examples which is written in the format of a converstion which is really interesting.
M Abbdiillah
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I use to think that all of debaters is sucks. Nevertheless, this book teach us how to argue and debate with adult way so the debate or argument is not sucks.
Dhiren
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ايتبتتبنب. يبق

بتتبنيتيتتي. للمبررات ببرزيزيززيز يريرنيخذعيتريزيرميتيتتينبنباببرتب بوتين تينيت تبني تبني تينيت ابنتي تتببب تتبن متبرئين وبن تبني تنب تبني نننب نننب ننب
Yaser Had
May 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
It's a little below average book. There is not much in there that wowed me. Most of the things in there are either rudimentary or common sense.
Adam Smith
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
Ten rules on arguing; a series of scenarios and the correct way to approach each issue. From how to deal with kids or coworkers to avoiding common pitfalls when arguing to the correct way to make a complaint to learning to say 'no' if the need arises.

This book offers a series of helpful tips on how to approach an argument with the best chance of success. Each section is clearly explained and given examples to demonstrate both correct and incorrect methods in arguments; although the correct
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, ebooks
This ebook was free from Barnes and Noble when I downloaded it to my Nook library. It is another book from Pearson Education, and I have found the ones I read to be useful.
The 10 Golden Rules of Argument are: 1.Be prepared. 2. When to argue, when to walk away. What you say and how you say it. 4. Listen and listen again. 5. Excel at responding to arguments. 6. Watch out for crafty tricks. 7. Develop the skills for arguing in public. 8. Be able to argue in writing. 9. Be great at resolving
Luca
Oct 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Good book,haven't seen it as exceptional or out of the known but not available insights on how to argue. It does a decent job of bringing it all together with respect to preparation and really knowing and being aware of what you do.

The point of winning the argument and losing the relationship does resonate the most with me. That is so true and so difficult to do once emotions are running high.

Overall, some good bits and pieces of info in a well structured format with easy to find the key
Stephen
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A very good overview of arguments. Of how to argue and get productive results. I have found it difficult to argue, but already today I had a productive argument using some of the ideas in this book. I did not get everything I wanted, but neither me nor the other person are fuming mad. We watched a DVD after a "good" argument, and found a way to get what I wanted.
Mark
Aug 21, 2012 rated it liked it
I concur with many of the reviewers that this is a decent overview or review of the subject. The last portion contains applications to different situations in which disagreement and argument might arise: with children, workplace, family members, etc. I though that was the weaker section of this book.
Phạm Công
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sách là lời giải cho những cuộc cãi vã không có hồi kết, để đi đến những cuộc tranh luận mang tính thuyết phục và chuyên nghiệp hơn. Ở đây, tác giả đã chỉ ra những lỗi thường mắc phải trong giao tiếp. nhiều tình huống éo le cũng được đưa ra với lời giải thích cặn kẽ, chi tiết và rõ ràng. Đọc sách đôi khi cũng là cách rất tốt để tìm lại bản thân mình
William
Jun 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent book, and available for free on Kindle. There are one or two points with which I vehemently disagree, but in terms of general principles I find this book almost above reproach. The first ten chapters in particular, I wish I had read years ago.
Maria Miaoulis
Complete with the "rules" of arguing, examples of what to say and not to say as well as explanations behind each viewpoint, this makes for a very good read which can then be applied to real life. Chances are though that you're already doing some of the things discussed here.
Lindsay
I think able to put a solid and sensible argument is a vital skill for everyone, and this book does discuss a framework for this clearly, getting people to think a bit more about their, and other people's points.
Koleś
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is especially great for people that really have no idea how to have good discussion, and don't know about fallacies that people make consciously or not consciously. That's why I have it 4 stars, even because it wasn't anything new for me.
Christy
Jul 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Not bad for a kindle freebie. It was a quick read with some good points. The first half of the book goes through the author's "10 Rules" for arguing. The second half of the book gives advice for specific situations that you may encounter.
Sho
Jess
Jun 21, 2012 marked it as to-read
[free nook book]
Joachim
If you already did some communication training or other soft skill training, their is nothing new to explore.
Matthew Royal
Mar 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Not bad. It's a solid introduction.
Hanik Kotecha
Good way of changing how you prep for an arguement
However its set fot older people and its second half is not very useful for younger readers,
However the fist part is very useful for anyone
Richard Shulmistra
Jun 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
Uh...kind of a waste of time., advice like Be Prepared...free eBook for a reason. Might be good for a teen...
Martin
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad.

The book highlights some good points that are generally looked over in the heat of an argument. If you find yourself in a lot of discussions, it would be a good read.
Right Book to Gift a Lawyer? 1 1 May 30, 2019 04:01AM

• It's Not All About Me: The Top Ten Techniques for Building Quick Rapport with Anyone
  • The Charisma Myth: How Anyone Can Master the Art and Science of Personal Magnetism
  • Making Sense of People: Decoding the Mysteries of Personality
  • The Truth About Managing People...And Nothing But the Truth
  • Critical Thinking: Tools for Taking Charge of Your Professional and Personal Life
  • Pictures of the Mind: What the New Neuroscience Tells Us about Who We Are
  • Living Rich by Spending Smart: How to Get More of What You Really Want
  • The Rules of Work: The Unspoken Truth about Getting Ahead in Business
  • Lead with Luv: A Different Way to Create Real Success
  • Presenting to Win: The Art of Telling Your Story
  • 25 Days to Better Thinking & Better Living: A Guide  for Improving Every Aspect of Your Life
  • The Lazy Project Manager: How to be Twice as Productive and Still Leave the Office Early
  • Five Minutes on Mondays: Finding Unexpected Purpose, Peace, and Fulfillment at Work
  • Beer Is Proof God Loves Us: The Craft, Culture, and Ethos of Brewing
  • On Becoming a Leader
  • The Leader In You: How to Win Friends, Influence People and Succeed in a Changing World
  • Attack Your Day!: Before It Attacks You
  • The Story Factor: Inspiration, Influence, and Persuasion through the Art of Storytelling
“Arguments should be about understanding other people better, sharing ideas and finding mutually beneficial ways ahead.” 0 likes