Start by marking “The Collected Works” as Want to Read:
The Collected Works

The Collected Works

4.48  ·  Rating details ·  607 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
(Book Jacket Status: Jacketed)

For the first time, all the major works of this beloved writer are gathered together in one hardcover volume.

Poet, artist, and mystic, Kahlil Gibran was born in 1883 to a poor Christian family in Lebanon and immigrated to the United States as an adolescent. His masterpiece, The Prophet, a book of poetic essays that he began while still a yout
Published October 23rd 2007 by Everyman's Library (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The Collected Works, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collected Works

Tlaloc
Oct 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Mystical, religious, perhaps esoteric, but still an amazing read. Khalil Gibran had a real talent for prose, and even more so for poetry, and this is coming from somebody not poetically inclined. Also contains his art. Worth getting just for the harmony of the words as they bounce around in your head.
Wilhelm
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Like me you probably purchased this after reading The Prophet. This complete volume is a welcome addition as a keeper on your bookshelf as its understanding matures with the reader. I've lost count of the amount of times that I've fished it off the bookshelf to return to a previously read page only to get a deeper understanding.
JoAnne Pulcino
THE COLLECTED WORKS GOLDEN OLDIE

Kahil Gibran

In my humble opinion this is one of the greatest prophets and writers of all time. He immigrated to the United States as an adolescent, and was part of our culture unlike so many that were years ago.

His superb title THE PROPHET is poetry and philosophy for almost any time or place.

As is obvious I am in total awe and dependence on his brilliance and immense humanity and understanding of the human condition in a very spiritual, enlightened and passionate
Ishank Sharma
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Khalil gibran really doesn't have a variety of style, and he falls short of his aim multiple times to be profound and to say profound things, however, this guy is the 3rd best selling poet in the world behind shakespeare and lao tzu, so for that reason he is worth a looking over.
I got into reading him because I saw some quotes of his online and thought they were beautiful. Gibran really does have a lyrial style to his writing which makes his work pleasant and enjoyable to read.
Louise Carlson Stowell
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was first introduced to Kahlil Gibran back in the late 1970's by my brother and sister in law. I was given a copy of "The Prophet" for my birthday and was instantly hooked.

Shortly aster my soul mate died, I found the complete works of Kahlil Gibran in a used book store and had to have it. I must say my favorite story is "The Broken Wings." He touches deeply into the areas of emotions that many would love to experience first hand. The depth of loss and grief are also handled with prose that tea
Emily Iliani
Jan 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: home
Someone once commented (accurately) that people only read KG during one's teen-years. He is 'too romantic'.

Hoping to relive the romance that is The Prophet, I decided to finish KG's collected poems all at a go.

The idea only works as a visual stimuli (Everyman's Library did a good job reproducing the great works in standardize hardcopies - an ocd's haven) but to douse the mind with all that romance at one go, proven to be childish.

Some of the lines are immature at best, cliche at least. I did thi
Hisham Maroof
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
the best way to read the best work of Gibran
Scribblescribe

David Hirt
Jan 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
There's a lot of good stuff in here but there is a part of me that instinctively reacts negatively to anyone claiming prophet status too which it seems like calling on of his books The Prophet is akin.
Chakravarthi Bharati
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gibran is one of my favourite poets and philosophers. His words are simple but highly philosophical.It gives some pleasure to heart and relieve our soul pains...

"A great singer is he who sings our silences".
T.b.d
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is by far the greatest book I've ever been lucky enough too read... As must have for every library.
Lori Fuller
Lovely lovely
A.
May 07, 2009 marked it as to-read
Shelves: poetry, unfinished
I haven't touched this book for a very long time and I don't feel the appetite to read from it nowadays....so I'll give it some rest.
Monday, October 19, 2009
Cucatweet Diaz Porto Robles
A must read
Rebekah
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
fabulous
Darshan
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kahlil Gibran at its best...enjoyed reading Sand & Foam, The Broken Wings, The Forerunner and Tears & Laughter....As always The Prophet remains his best...short and sweet...A must for all KG admirers
Lila
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of my absolute favourites!
Donda
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
masterpiece.
Jonathan
Oct 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Gibran is one of my favorite poets and philosophers, and his masterpiece "The Prophet" contains so much wisdom.
Jacqui Swift
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a book of life. Essential to every bookshelf belonging to any human.
Delene Reynolds
excellent
Cristina Garcia
Nov 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Khalil Gibran is an amazing writer. His work moves me like no one else's.
Cayter Jones
Jul 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
a must have
Tippy Jackson
Nov 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, philosophy
My favorites were the prophet, the wanderer, the madman and spirits rebellious. Also, A vision in a tear and a smile, the first one.
Alice Dodge
Oct 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I'm skipping around a bit, as Jack Kerouac keeps tempting me away, but am thoroughly enjoying this book. I've read up to Jesus, Son of Man.
Nicole Vanhorn
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fav Author <3
Kaustubh Moghe
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Every time you read, you find a new meaning. Must read. Please stay away if you like Sheldon.
Parnell
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Kahlil Gibran is one of my favorite mystics/poets. Not much more to say!
Megan
  • Vom Wesen der Wahrheit
  • مختارات فرناندو بيسوا
  • Mesmeric Revelation
  • The Seminar of Jacques Lacan: The Other Side of Psychoanalysis
  • Mr. Sampath - The Printer of Malgudi, The Financial Expert, Waiting for the Mahatma
  • The Vintage Book of Contemporary World Poetry
  • The Complete Henry Bech
  • The Freud Reader
  • David Golder, The Ball, Snow in Autumn, The Courilof Affair
  • Basic Teachings of the Buddha
  • The Complete Novels
  • Waugh Abroad: Collected Travel Writing (Contemporary Classics)
  • Naguib Mahfouz: Three Novels of Ancient Egypt
Kahlil Gibran ( Arabic: جبران خليل جبران ) was a Lebanese-American artist, poet, and writer.
Born in the town of Bsharri in modern-day Lebanon (then part of Ottoman Mount Lebanon), as a young man he emigrated with his family to the United States where he studied art and began his literary career. In the Arab world, Gibran is regarded as a literary and political rebel. His romantic style was at th
More about Kahlil Gibran...

“Friendship is always a sweet responsibility, never an opportunity.” 589 likes
“When a man destroys his fellow, people say that such a one is a murderer. When one set in authority destroys, it is said that this one is a faithful judge.” 3 likes