Start by marking “Ollie the Stomper” as Want to Read:
Ollie the Stomper

Ollie the Stomper

(Gossie and Friends)

Gossie wears red boots, Gertie wears blue boots, but Ollie has no boots. Stomping bootless after Gossie and Gertie as they tromp in the straw, romp in the rain, and jump over puddles in their colorful boots leaves Ollie frustrated. Little Ollie decides he really wants his own pair of boots. . . but what will he do if he gets them?
Any toddler who has had to keep up with an
Published August 25th 2003 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Ollie the Stomper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ollie the Stomper

Matt
Ollie is quite the stomper and leads his fellow goslings into trouble. When he scores a different coloured boot from his two friends, he is able to stomp around. His parading soon ends when he ends up too hot and sheds the boots to go for a swim. Short book and to the point, but surely not as exciting as many we have read. We have a few more books, so perhaps we will zip through them and allow Ollie to entertain others.
Mary
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ollie the Stomper is a very interesting book, but very good. I remember this being my favorite book as a child, but I don't really know what to think of it now. I felt like the book was very basic, and although it is a picture book; I have read picture books that are more dense. I think that the author might be trying to teach the readers about friendship and how important it is.
Sarah Cho
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a book in the series of "Ollie". Ollie in this book is a little different than the other ducks and realizes that when she is the only one without books. She is also colored brown wheras the rest are yellow ducks. The color difference shows the diversity the Author is trying to provide to young readers. Overall, a good book for younger children.
Rachel
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Way too cute and adorable - particularly the "climax". Additionally, had fun reading it to my Goddaughters who love the Gossie and Gertie series.
Kelly
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved it.
Stephanie
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Level E book. Ollie wants boots! Great series.
Olivia Slykhuis
Cute simple story about Ollie the gosling who wants boots (just like most goslings apparently do). A very small size of book, so not good for storytime. Very simple text, 2+.
Ashley Slota
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a very simple book of Ollie wanting to have to boots that Gossie and Gertie have. So the story follows the different things the little ducks do with Ollie following behind them until finally they each give Ollie a boot to wear and he ends up not liking them and takes the other ducks swimming instead.
This is a very simple early reader book, keeping the words on each page very minimal and has a repeating theme to the story. This has a very subtle message that you don’t always want what yo
David
Jul 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Ollie the Stomper by Olivier Dunrea focuses on gossling Ollie who is obsessed with having boots, since Gossie and Gertie have them.

Ollie stalks the two gosslings as they stomp around the barnyard. Finally, Ollie yells "I want Boots!" Gossie and Gertie each give Ollie one of their boots. Ollie proceeds to stomp around the barnyard, as they follow, until she announces "These boots are too hot!" All three gosslings kick off their boots and follow Ollie to swim in the pond.

The text has lots of repe
Christina
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
The series begins with Gossie & Gertie although they do not have to be read in any particular order. They are short, cute and fun books. They do not teach any higher values and morals; they are purely for entertainment. The reason I give them all four stars is because my son loves them so much, he carries them around with him everywhere and I like the art. Anything that encourages my semi-reluctant reader that well deserves a decent rating.
K Brown
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
We love Gossie and friends books.
Katie Fitzgerald
May 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Read at Tales for Twos and Threes on 5/20/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Toddler Lap Time on 3/14/13:

Read at Toddler Lap Time on 3/15/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Kristen
May 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
So, I normally don't put kids books on here but Konrad loves this book! I just renewed if from the library and I'm going to go find a copy in a bookstore for him. He's carried it around with him for three weeks! It is so cute! I'm thinking of getting the boxed set of the books in the series and buying it for him for when the next baby comes.
Rachel
Jun 21, 2012 rated it liked it
This was the last book I read to my son for summer reading (yay he's finished 20 books!). Ollie the gosling wants to go stomping with Gossie and Gertie, who have boots to do this with. So they each give him one boot and they got stomping together, until he gets bored with it and they decide to go swimming instead. My son enjoyed the story and illustrations. Recommended for ages 1-4, 3 stars.
Tara Strosnider
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This story is just adorable and its so cute how gossie and gertie have boots and ollie wants boots too its so cute the ducks in this series they are adorable and funny and just super adorable kids will love this series the pictures are just super cute to look at while reading and its so cute how they look out for their sibling :)
jacky
Nov 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: board-books, lib-lew
Not as cute as Gossie, but still a cute story of goslings and boots. The illustrations remain cute and the story simple. However, its is a bit forgettable since I read it only a couple of weeks ago and can't remember much of it.
Vicki
May 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
A short simple story about friends who share. The illustrations are nice and clean. The format I had was board book size although it was not a board book, not the greatest size for using at story time. Migyht work better one on one.
Tyrone Hardy
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy-read
This is a great book about a duck named Ollie. He walks around searching for his missing red boots. His friend Gertie has his book, but Ollie doesn't know this. This book would be great for helping Pre-k and kindergartners work on their anticipatory skills.
Emily
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is a very simple book that allows young readers to learn to read this book alone. The book is very repetitive with only a few words on each page. The words are also accompanied by a colorful picture that help allow readers to look at the pictures for help.
Mary Luzader
This version is a beginning reader book, but there is also a small version which is just intended as a picture book. For storytime, I prefer this, simply because it is larger making it easier to hold and see.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Ollie stomps after Gossie and Gertie. He wants boots, too!

Ollie can be read before the other Gossie books, but it does come after Gossie and Gertie. The boots are so important, but not as important as fun with friend.

2015 Theme: Boots

Reviewed from a library copy.
Amberly
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sweet story. Dunrea's illustrations are enchanting. If I had a very young child I believe I would buy this book just to use the illustrations as art work for the child's room. Then of course I would have to buy another copy to read. :)
Library Quine
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oliie is a gosling with a toddler's personality. His friends have boots, he wants boots. He trails his friends around until they lend him their boots. Once he has to boots, they turn out to be 'too hot' and the boots are abandoned in favour of swimming!
Michelle
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: london-s-library
My daughter loves Gossie and we are going to try and read all the other characters.

She wasn't very interesting in Ollie stomping all over the place.

We read it once, and she doesn't seem to have any interest in reading it again.
Jessica
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with this book the first time I read it. Fun, cute, sweet, and beautifully illustrated. Looking forward to reading more by this author.
Beck
Jun 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
I like the simple little stories in this series. Sweet messages about leading & following, sharing and making friends.
Krystal
Feb 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you could put a toddler into words and cute pictures, this would be the book you would come up with. Dunrea does an amazing job of capturing toddlerhood. Both my boys love this book.
Jenny
Mar 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I think the little goslings are really cute. I liked that they shared the boots though the end was a bit disjointed to me.
Becky H.
Aug 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Cute!
Elizabeth
Mar 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Good stuff on sharing in here. Both kids like it. When I pick it up, Santi cries "Owwwwwie" in utter happiness.

• What's Up, Duck?: A Book of Opposites
  • Olivia's Opposites
  • 999 Tadpoles
  • Mommy, Carry Me Please!
  • Emily's Balloon
  • Hark! A Shark!: All About Sharks
  • Spot Loves His Daddy
  • Unlovable
  • Your Personal Penguin
  • A Kiss Like This
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella, #1)
  • Ladybug Girl at the Beach
  • Little Polar Bear and the Brave Little Hare
  • Dog Food
  • The Good for Nothing Button (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #3)
  • Haiku Baby
  • Max at Night
Since his debut in 1983, author and illustrator Olivier Dunrea has created a steady stream of picture books, including concept books, stories of family life—modern and ancient—and stories about artists. Many of Dunrea's picture books testify to his love of animals and his interest in archaeology and folklore of the British Isles, and several—including Ravena, The Trow-Wife's Treasure, and Bear Noe ...more

Gossie and Friends (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Gossie