Start by marking “EcoCities: Rebuilding Cities in Balance with Nature” as Want to Read:
EcoCities: Rebuilding Cities in Balance with Nature

EcoCities: Rebuilding Cities in Balance with Nature

Most of the world’s population now lives in cities. So if we are to address the problems of environmental deterioration and peak oil adequately, the city has to be a major focus of attention.

Ecocities is about re-building cities and towns based on ecological principles for the long term sustainability, cultural vitality and health of the Earth’s biosphere. Unique in the li
Published April 1st 2006 by New Society Publishers (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about EcoCities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about EcoCities

Maddy Harland
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ecocities is about re-building cities and towns based on ecological principles for the long term sustainability, cultural vitality and health of the Earth's biosphere. Unique in the literature is the book's insight that the form of the city really matters - and that it is within our ability to change it, and crucial that we do. The book describes the place of the city in evolution, nature and history. It pays special attention to the key question of accessibility and transportation, and outlines ...more
Vanessa
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Not what I was looking for. This isn't so much a how-to manual for building ecocities as an academic wankfest for environmentalism.

I could see my mistake from the first chapter, when I suffered through pages of doomsday philosophy about peak oil and people "worshipping at the altar of diversion from nature" (television) and so on.
Mind you, I don't disagree with the author's core sentiments. We should be building compact, walkable cities, not investing in better hybrid cars and 'green' building
Kara
Jul 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a book I wish Mr.Obama would read. Well him and a lot of other leaders from local to global. Perhaps some of the suggestions in the book are too extreme, but for sure it is a way we need to start thinking about community planning and community sustainability.
I am currently living in a German city where many of the core ideals Register is promoting in this book are already in existance. In a 10 minute car ride I can go from the city center in which I live to a totally rural landscape. The
Stephie Jane Rexroth
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book will change the way you look at the outside world and how much we fight with it. All I see when driving now is sprawl, and I am much more conscious of our dependence on vehicles. This book equally covers the problems of our modern life that is out of balance with nature (car/sprawl/freeway/oil infrastructure) and provides the solutions (high-density, energy-efficient, low-impact, pedestrian-centric, 3-dimensional cities) and a solid plan to transition to ecocities as well.

Richard Regi
blue-collar mind
May 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I met Richard when he ventured to New Orleans very soon after the federal levee breaks of 2005 to see if he could help. Had a few talks with him about rebuilding and ecosystems and went and bought this book. Really liked it for its lovely visuals and clear point of view. It did help me to think about natural systems as smarter than any built ones and wonder why we don't use the characteristics of what is around us more. I lend this book constantly and then have to spend months figuring out which ...more
Sep 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school
I thought this was a great idea, but I felt that the book lacked focus and really drifted a lot. I found the author repeating concepts and stories frequently throughout the book and only towards the end start to talk about real solutions. Overall, I enjoyed the book but I would have liked more structure.
Lily So-too
Oct 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
So far, exploring the potentials that cities have for being more ecologically sound than rural living.

Begins with peak oil and the question of how people will live when this is no longer available for transport, agriculture and the like. Quite helpful for my thoughts on these matters which certainly are often present.
Frank Sloth Aaskov
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Gives you a whole new way to look at cities and a new idea about cities could be like. Though Register went to far with some of his ideas, where he celebrate the primitive and glorifies the pre-industrial time. That said, it's a visionary book which gives you a new outlook.
Pax Gethen
Ecocities: Building Cities in Balance with Nature by Richard Register (2001)
Zainab Abdulbari
Oct 26, 2015
Amanda Kennedy
Nov 16, 2009
Nancy
rated it did not like it
Feb 29, 2008
  • Design Like You Give a Damn {2}: Building Change from the Ground Up
  • Sun, Wind & Light: Architectural Design Strategies
  • Garden Cities of To-Morrow
  • Against Architecture
  • The Transition Companion: Making Your Community More Resilient in Uncertain Times
  • Rural Studio: Samuel Mockbee and an Architecture of Decency
  • Permaculture: Principles & Pathways Beyond Sustainability
  • Architecture Without Architects: A Short Introduction to Non-Pedigreed Architecture
  • Green Metropolis: What the City Can Teach the Country About True Sustainability
  • Building Green: A Complete How-To Guide to Alternative Building Methods Earth Plaster * Straw Bale * Cordwood * Cob * Living Roofs
  • The $50 and Up Underground House Book
  • The Hand-Sculpted House: A Philosophical and Practical Guide to Building a Cob Cottage: A Practical Guide to Building a Cob Cottage (The Real Goods Solar Living Book): 10
  • On the Grid: A Plot of Land, an Average Neighborhood, and the Systems That Make Our World Work
  • Sustainable Urbanism: Urban Design with Nature