Start by marking “Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-scale Permaculture” as Want to Read:
Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-scale Permaculture

Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-scale Permaculture

Permaculture is a verbal marriage of "permanent" and "agriculture." Australian Bill Mollison pioneered its development. Key features include:
use of compatible perennials;
non-invasive planting techniques;
emphasis on biodiversity;
specifically adaptable to local climate, landscape, and soil conditions;
highly productive output of edibles.
Now, picture your backyard as
Published September 27th 2001 by Chelsea Green Publishing Co (first published April 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Gaia's Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gaia's Garden

Susan
Sep 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book!

I don't read a lot of gardening books for fun (I find them dry) but the personal experiences, anecdotes, and concrete examples in this one make it a breeze. It appears quite well researched, and it answers all kinds of questions I've had for a long time about Permaculture and even urban gardening. (How safe is food grown next to a busy street? for example)

Why did I wait so long to read this book? As far as I can tell, this is going to be one of my foundational gardening books,
Mina Villalobos
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is quite the game changer if you, like me, had a very traditional understanding of gardening and what a garden should look like. As a designer, it completely changed my way of seeing landscaping and what a landscape should look like and work like. This book teaches the basics of permaculture in a practical, non preachy way. It helps you design a forest garden, gives you the bases to work with large scale gardens and small scale gardens -though the actual small scale gardens could use m ...more
Valerie
Mar 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Practical ways to implement permaculture--which is the most efficient way to garden. As I dream of my own fruit orchard, I want to lay it out as recommended in this book: with bird and insect attracting shrubs (to deter fruit tree predators without spraying) and nitrogen-fixing plants (to lesson the need for fertilizers) and mulching plants (to decrease the watering needs). I love the idea of planning out my landscape so it takes care of itself (as much as possible).

Isabella
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved it.
Tinea
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with any amount of land and the desire to cultivate it
I've found now a few different "comprehensive teach yourself permaculture" books, each tailored to a different audience. Food Not Lawns for the punks and the community organizers, The Urban Homestead for the busy, The Transition Companion for the big picture people and Toolbox for Sustainable Living for the tinkerers. Gaia's Garden stands above these books for its general appeal, a guidebook in clear, flowing language for understanding and working with the ecology of cultivated environments.

Toby
Lara
Jun 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great overview of permaculture and gardening with "guilds" of "useful" plants. I almost passed by this one because I found the title off-putting. I was afraid I'd be hearing about Mother Earth, nature's balance, and the perfect harmony with which indigenous peoples once lived. The book still has an odor of this, but if you sift through it you get some tremendously helpful information for the new-to-permaculture gardener. In section three I found exactly what I needed: a spreadsheet of recommende ...more
Kerrie
Nov 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was a very good introduction to the field of permaculture. The Mollison textbook is rather overwhelming (though I do plan to read it cover to cover), and Hemenway broke it down into bite-size pieces with lots of real-life examples. I was afraid that I would have to do a translation from East Coast permaculture to my place in the arid Southwest, but how exciting it was to see 2 amazing success stories from Santa Fe and Los Alamos! This book will definitely keep a place on my gardening refere ...more
Tera
Jul 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Gardeners, plant nerds
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a book that should be on every gardener's shelf regardless if you have one acre or one hundred. This book got me thinking of my own gardens as living, changing, interconnected environments and not some space I keep my plant collection. The ideals are something that any gardener, regardless of experience or gardening style can incorporate for a healthier and more active ecosystem.
Steve
Dec 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
My first permaculture book and still probably my favorite. Lots of practical information about designing gardens and landscapes, and good case studies, too. Hemenway is preparing a new edition that should be even better, but until then...
Karly
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I never thought a permaculture book would make me laugh out loud. Toby explains complex ideas in layman's terms and often adds dorky humor. I want to be his best friend.
KB
"Gaia's Garden" provides an excellent introduction to the concepts of ecological gardening. Toby Hemenway's writing style is very approachable, yet he still manages to convey a great deal of information throughout the pages of this book. Ideas such as ecological succession, food web interrelationships, appropriate resource utilization, efficiency, and interspecies compatibility are explored in great detail. The broad themes will be familiar to those who have studied sustainability, holistic land ...more
Jen
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be incredibly informative and thought provoking at times. I learned a lot! I found this at the library and will definitely be adding a copy to my personal collection.
Erin
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Basically a permaculture textbook. Great info, readable, annotated with quality illustrations and photos. Highly recommended.
Barbara
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational. I learned so much that I will be incorporating into my own garden.
Shaun
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: permaculture
Toby Hemenway's book lives up to its reputation as one of the most accessible introductions to the permaculture design method and its applications to creating an ecological garden. He covers the gamut, from observation to designing, soil building to water harvesting, beneficial insects to plant selection, guilds, sectors, zones, and so on. Hemenway writes in a welcome conversational tone and this is no textbook, but "Gaia's Garden" still also includes some great reference material. My copy is so ...more
Sara
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
Great, inspiring and informative read on permaculture. I would have liked a little more information on integrating an annual vegetable garden into the "food forest"....and even to go farther into the homesteading idea of growing your own wheat/oats. The "lasgana mulch' section was very thorough and the charts describing different perennial bushes/trees/plants; their uses and companions is an invaluable resource.
dale paul
Jan 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: botanicals
I've learned more about musical form from this book than I have in any music book. Aside from that, Gaia's Garden has inspired me to further readings on permaculture and its applications. I'm recommending it to my friend's family who's just bought a farm. How efficient and wondeful the farm will be once they've applied these principles. For those who know nothing of permaculture, but a little about gardening I suggest you beg, borrow, or steal this book.
Abe Louise
Aug 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gardening
after reading this book -- which has some didacticism amidst its informed passion -- i risked an experiment in scandinavian composting with a huge (10 foot x 20 foot) pile of brush and branches in my yard. it did shrink by 2/3 in a year, but never compacted enough so that i could do as the author instructs, and make a grassy hill or shapely bench out of it.
Al Valvano
Jul 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Good high level primer on permaculture. I found myself wishing for a more detailed guide on design, although the general principles were solid. Still looking for the book that is going to help me design my new acreage.
Michelle
Jan 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I found this book inspiring. It has really changed the way in which I approach my house, my yard and my garden. It breaks down the concepts of permaculture in a way that makes it easy for the beginner to understand and apply.
Meadow
Dec 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
The author's idea of "small-scale" is still larger than my own backyard, but I like his writing style and find myself endlessly fascinated by potential permaculture projects, such as worm boxes, chicken tractors, and greywater irrigation systems. Sustainable living is super sexy!!
Gea
Jul 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those looking for permaculture inspiration and general info
I learned that I have a lot to learn! But what a fun and interesting book - general, but maybe even hard to fully grasp without at least some hands-on 'training' in permaculture - a classic nonetheless (and has an amazing bibliography).
Chris
May 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: gardeners, farmers, ecologists, and everyone else
Of all the permaculture books I've read this is the best intro to the concept. Plus, it's an enjoyable, interesting, and pretty book in it's own right. I re-read it occasionally just for the inspiration to do useful and interesting things with our yard.
David
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening
The most accessible book on permaculture I've picked up so far. Lots of helpful diagrams, inspiring photos, and useful charts. Maybe I'm geeking out on permaculture, but I can't put it down.
Paulo A. Reimann
Very good

Great book, great tips. Shows the Gaia principles. Easy to follow. Once read, it is a matter just to start.
Bianka
Aug 13, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Nature lovers
Shelves: extremelyuseful
Good intro to permaculture.
Andrew Welleford
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gaia's Garden is THE book to introduce yourself to Permaculture and to inspire you to think differently. This book changed how I think about design and systems, especially in the context of gardening and home design. It also began my intellectual journey into the field of Permaculture, which has been mind-expanding and has enriched my well-being.

However, this book should not be viewed as a universal design manual. The tools presented in this book (like sheet mulching, swales, and herb spirals) a
P.
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfic
OMG I finished it!

Main reasons it took me 3.5 ish years to read this:
- I went through some depression and couldn't read a lot of nonfiction
- Whenever I started to read it my mind would also start to daydream of everything I could possibly do to my yard with the help of this book and then I wouldn't get very far in the book

But I promised myself I would really finish it this year, and I did.

I'm sure I'll continue to use this as a resource for knowledge, techniques, and inspiration. It is really w
Michelle
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've been fascinated by permaculture for years but also intimidated by it. This book is a great introduction that made the idea of trying some of the principles in my own yard seem a little less intimidating. Of course it's not a huge, long, detailed work and so it's really an introduction to the text that fully admits you might need a lot more research to help you create an ecosystem that suits where you live. But I like how clear it is and how it at least gives you a basic roadmap and an idea ...more
Kait McNamee
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I went into this book fully expecting the complete hippie experience with "medicinal" herb recommendations and whatnot. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised with science! Of course, there are some flowery descriptions and sentiments, but Hemenway uses facts about plants to describe how to create functioning ecosystems. There are A LOT of applicable facts in this book, useful for everything from small scale gardens to huge amounts of acreage. Of course, there are some things that aren't super poss ...more
  • Introduction to Permaculture
  • Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 1: Ecological Vision and Theory for Temperate Climate Permaculture
  • Sepp Holzer's Permaculture: A Practical Guide to Small-Scale, Integrative Farming and Gardening
  • Permaculture: Principles & Pathways Beyond Sustainability
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • Four-Season Harvest: Organic Vegetables from Your Home Garden All Year Long
  • Earth User's Guide to Permaculture
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • Food Not Lawns: How to Turn Your Yard Into a Garden and Your Neighborhood Into a Community
  • How to Grow More Vegetables: And Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Grains, and Other Crops Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than You Can Imagine
  • Edible Landscaping
  • The Humanure Handbook: A Guide to Composting Human Manure
  • Creating a Forest Garden: Working with Nature to Grow Edible Crops
  • The Resilient Farm and Homestead: An Innovative Permaculture and Whole Systems Design Approach
  • Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web
  • The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times
  • Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands and Beyond (Vol. 1): Guiding Principles to Welcome Rain Into Your Life and Landscape
Toby Hemenway was an American author and educator who has written extensively on permaculture and ecological issues. He was an adjunct professor at Portland State University, Scholar-in-Residence at Pacific University and a field director at the Permaculture Institute (USA).
“The plants we've chosen will collect and cycle Earth's minerals,water, and air;shade the soil and renew it with leafy mulch; and yield fruits and greens for people and wildlife.” 4 likes
“The average yard is both an ecological and agricultural desert. The prime offender is short-mown grass, which offers no habitat and nothing for people except a place to sit, yet sucks down far more water and chemicals than a comparable amount of farmland.” 1 likes