Start by marking “Countdown to Daddies” as Want to Read:
Countdown to Daddies

Countdown to Daddies (MLR Fathers Day 2012)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  253 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
Even gay dads have pregnancy pains.

Matteo and Gabe have everything they could ever want out of life, except for a family all their own. When Gabe's twin sister offers to be their surrogate, it’s a dream come true until she insists they be completely involved in the pregnancy. The new dads quickly realize they may have bitten off more than they can chew.
Published June 15th 2012 by MLR Press

To ask other readers questions about Countdown to Daddies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Countdown to Daddies

Deeze
Not only sweet and funny, but as cute as the cover implies. My only complaint is its too short lol. I would love a follow on, maybe a few years from now. Watching Gabe trying to control a toddler or saying goodbye at the school gates for the first time would be the perfect cherry on the top.

ETA

Still adorable and fun.
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
He Wants To Be A Baby-Daddy
3.5

Gabe is 42, Matteo is in his late 20's and the two of them are about to start a family. Gabe's twin sister, Mira, has offered to be their surrogate and the story follows this family unit throughout the pregnancy.

Gabe is a big tattooed bear of a man who's funny, a bit high strung, a bit of a worrier and kind of a like a teenager wrapped up in a 40-something year old's body. Gabe had me laughing more than once and I really enjoyed his character. He cares about people
Vio
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Perfect pick me up this was so adorable loved it, Gabe was hilarious in his anxieties and hang ups with becoming a father and Matteo is so cute keeping him on track!
Kaje Harper
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a sweet, funny story about Gabe and Matteo, two guys in a longterm relationship making the decision to have a baby by surrogate. Matteo is the sperm donor and the willing mother is Gabe's twin sister, which is lovely and familial, and at the same time a bit weird and uncomfortable, at least for Gabe. I laughed out loud more than once at the interplay between Gabe and his sister, and loved the playful quality of Gabe and Matteo's relationship. This is a short story, but I heard rumors the ...more
Cole Riann
Review posted at The Armchair Reader.

Matteo and Gabe's relationship is in transition. Spanning from idea, to conception, to pregnancy to delivery, their relationship is evolving at a quick pace as they try to adjust to the impending delivery of their first child. This is a story about how Matteo and Gabe work together in their relationship as well as a story about their frightening and exciting impending fatherhood. Gabe is a 40-something silver bear of a sort, and unlike assumption is
Kinny
Gabe is 42 years old and Matteo I guess is about 28. Matteo is the mature, level headed sexy twink and Gabe is the huge muscular bear but is hilariously childish and immature (he is responsible and a clean freak though). The interaction between Gabe and his twin sister Mira is hilarious! Snark galore had me snorting in laughter and Gabe's antics were so out of character from a bear of a man I estimate to be at least 6'4. I seriously recommend this to everyone. Especially gay men who want childre ...more
CJ
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book!! I haven't laughed out so many times in I don't know how long. And it's a short story too! 48 pages and it didn't feel short at all. K-lee did a fantastic job showing Gabe and Matteo's love, strength and weaknesses so well. And how they knew exactly when the other needed them. Loved how Gabe and Mira interacted! Reminded me of me and my siblings. lol And Bill, yeah he's a genious. This is def a fav of mine and I can't wait to read more of Ms. Klein's work!
Enny
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
That was absolutely hilarious!!!
Candice
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very good cute and fun read. I would love to see how it turned out as they got older, I think there would have been a lot of fun time. Worth reading.
Sammy Goode
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this little story! It had humor, heart, and just enough sarcastic repartee to keep me chuckling the entire time. And at the end when I was wiping my eyes for the hundredth time it wasn't due to just the incredibly humorous storytelling but to a genuinely sweet story that ended with such tenderness that--well, yes--I needed a tissue or two.

The story is a simple one. It takes us through the process of two men using a surrogate to have a baby that they can adopt for their own. But th
Lucy
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
One thing needs to be very clear on this story – you have got to enjoy the process of pregnancy. Not the making of the baby, but it is the countdown to the baby of Gabe and Matteo, surrogate mothered by Gabe’s twin sister, Mira (who is a joy unto herself, the way she talks and acts. A great female character, yay!) The story begins with the “it’s time!” phone call (loved them immediately, Matteo for being huffy the all-important sticky-note didn’t get to be on his side of the bed, and Gabe for be ...more
Camille Adams
Cutest book cover ever. I've seen this cover on other books too and it still charms me every time I see it. That was the extent of my enjoyment, however.

This book did nothing for me. It seemed formulaic and made use of one of the tropes I dislike: the childish partner. It does not matter if the childish partner here is male, as opposed to the Barbie female or is the bear and the older of the couple. Some people, from reviews I read, were apparently enthralled by this mix-up. I found it transpar
Nichole (DirrtyH)
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012, m-m
Not much to sink your teeth into here. It's cute enough, but I bet if you sat down and imagined you were a gay man (maybe you are!) awaiting the birth of your baby, your experience would be just as satisfying.
Sadonna
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, pdf, contemporary
Really really cute story! Loved Gabe and Matteo. Mira is hilarious and Bill is the rock. So so so funny! Would love to see how these two cope with parenthood.
Catherine
This story was totally adorable. I'm not even ashamed to admit that I snort-laughed my way through most of it. :)
Dallison
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Laugh out loud funny o far. Loving it!
SheReadsALot
Nice, slightly humorous short story with cuteness all around. A good enough in between read or in my case, a pleasant way to defrag the brain after an intense read.

Cheers.
Adrianamae, Marco's fan
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.5 three for story and half point for cute cover.
Mistral
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
So cute and funny!! I really liked it.
jules0623
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: relationship-m-m
The cover is adorable and earned one star all on its own. The story is okay. The characters aren't very fleshed out and, while I liked the format the author chose, I think it would have been much more effective for a longer story as it felt quite rushed.
Amanda
I really enjoyed this story. Coming in at 49 pages, it was cute, sweet and a bit funny. The story brings us through the MC's decision to have kids up until homecoming after the hospital.
V
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is so cute, funny, make me laughed so much.
I would love to read a story as how they meet, that would be just adorable.
Arzu
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Too cute for words ... just adorable!
Leaundra
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was the sweetest and cutest story and it was so funny. I was cracking up all through the book. I loved everyone in the book but omg Gabe was too funny:-)
Gabbi

I have to admit I love a beautiful book cover and I think the cover to Countdown to Daddies is totally adorable! The cover alone would make me want to purchase the book (I know…it’s a sickness, right? LOL) Since it’s also a K-lee Klein book AND it has a gorgeous cover, well it’s simply a no-brainer for me to want to read and review it.

The blurb does an excellent job at describing this little gem of a book. Matteo and Gabe have been together for five years.
⚣❣☙ Cocky™ Michaelle ❧❣⚣
4.1 Stars

Oh man, as if that cover isn't enough to make my ovaries 'splode then the story sure is! Adorable...and well-written beyond the surface cuteness. I loved the uncertainty, the fear, the grumpiness. I really adored how the older character was the MC that actually needed to mature a bit in the story.

It was odd, though, having read another book (Las Palabras De Amor - Words of Love) by this author earlier in the week to have both female characters (who were both pretty sanguine about giving
UnusualChild{beppy}

Synopsis: Gabe and Matteo have decided to have children, and Matteo's sister has agreed to carry them. As they discover that they are having twins, and deal with becoming fathers for the first time, they also have to deal with helping Matteo's sister throughout her pregnancy. Matteo is older than Gabe, and has never really wanted to become a family man, because he fears it will make him one of "those" people.

What I liked: Gabe. In spite of the fact that he was the younger man in the re
Heather♥
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Such a sweet and funny little story. I loved all the witty banter between not only Matteo and Gabe, but also with Mira and Bill. And Gabe's actions often had me cracking up as well (starting with when he tried to put on Matteo's underwear by mistake in his haste to get to the hospital). Even in the midst of all the chaos, the tenderness and love between Matteo and Gabe was simply beautiful. Brought back good memories for me from when my own kids were born :)
Madison Parker
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
These two guys were so funny, they had me in stitches. Gabe and Matty have been together for five years and are ready to settle down and raise a family. Gabe's sister offers to carry the baby for them so each of the men has a biological connection to the child. The story follows Gabe and Matty as the countdown to the baby's due date approaches.

There's no doubt in my mind that Gabe and Matty will make wonderfully loving parents! This story was short, but very sweet.
Amber
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Amber by: Tayajay
Shelves: m-m-contemporary
This is a cute sweet short story. Gabe's relationship with his sister adds alot of laughter into the story and Gabe/Matteo relationship adds alot of sweet moments. There isn't alot of backstory for the characters but there is a lot of character interaction that bring them to life. Very much a light heart comfort story.
  • The Good Life (Arbor Heights #3)
  • We Danced
  • The Manny
  • Bianca's Plan
  • The Perfect Gift (Mr. Popsalos, #2)
  • Turkey in the Snow
  • Daniel's Dream (Men of Charlestown, #3)
  • Inspiration
  • Miracle of the Bellskis (Bellskis, #2)
  • One Last Kiss Goodbye
  • Dirty Zero (Zero to Hero, #1)
  • The Trouble With Angel (Baseball #1)
  • Love Comes Silently (Senses, #1)
  • One of Those Days
  • Adore (Sam & Cody #3)
  • See (Ripples In The Water, #1)
  • An Earlier Heaven (Good to Know, #2)
  • Mannies Incorporated (Mannies Incorporated #1)
K-lee Klein loves guys with long hair and tattoos, and you’ll often find her front and center at her favorite rock concerts. She has bounced around Western Canada all her life, but will always consider the solitude and beauty of the British Columbian mountains home. Her life is blessed as the proud mother of three now-grown but still spoiled kids, the servant of two bossy felines, and the wife of ...more
More about K-lee Klein

MLR Fathers Day 2012 (6 books)
  • The Card
  • Family Is Forever
  • The Good Life (Arbor Heights #3)
  • Waves of Gold and Smoke
  • When Souls Collide (Lancaster's Way #1)