Start by marking “Love Evolution (Brutal Strength, #1; Black Cat Records, #1)” as Want to Read:
Love Evolution (Brutal Strength, #1; Black Cat Records, #1)

Love Evolution

(Brutal Strength #1)

After the death of her twin brother, nineteen-year-old guitar prodigy Avery Jones finds herself desperate, alone, and out of options.

Hope arrives in the form of a job opening with Brutal Strength, one of the biggest rock bands out there. Only problem is temperamental lead singer Marcus Anthony doesn't want a woman in the group.

So Avery and her manager Trevor come up with
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 278 pages
Published May 5th 2012 (first published May 1st 2012)

Fred
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-that-rock
This is a fun fast read, with a really cool female MC who will have you rooting for and rocking with her all the way. When MC Avery's twin brother Justin is disappeared by the evil mob boss who's girlfriend he's fatuously fooled around with, her world falls apart. She's a super talented guitarist/vocalist, and she and Justin were on the cusp of a big career breakthrough when his disappearance derailed their dreams. Her agent tries to pull her out of her downward spiral by hooking her up with Bru ...more
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookworms
This and all my other reviews are originally posted on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews Love Evolution is a great start to the Brutal Strength / Black Cat Records series, I loved the characters, the excitement, the reluctant romance and, of course, the music!

I love it when stories manage to mix romance and music, and Mankin definitely managed that in Love Evolution. Finding herself all alone, Avery was ready to do anything to catch a break and find a position as guitarist in a group. When her
JenRider
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
It was quite good...a little sappy but generally ok..only at the end it seemed like the author wanted to end it and be done with it..it could have been more...smart lyrics..good work..
Katy
May 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
I couldn't really get into this book, and I'm usually a sucker for romantic comedies, especially those involving a hot rocker and maybe even a girl disguised as a guy. I know this was a modernization of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, but I felt in a lot of ways, it just didn't work.

First of all, I felt Mankin may have tried a little too hard to parallel the classic book. And because of that, I felt too many things were thrown in there and didn't really go with the book. For example, the mob. I kno
P.A. Warren
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it

**REVIEW**Possible spoilers

This book totally Rocks!No pun intended!Having never read Twelfth Night,but being familiar with a girl dressing as a guy to get a part/something I am familiar with.This book is about Avery Jones who dresses as a boy to get into a band.Marcus has hang ups about women that being his main reasoning for not allowing a woman into the band Brutal Strength.
While this book was very enjoyable,I did have a few hang ups about it.I felt like we
Karen
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Karen by: Fred LeBaron
Thanks Fred for recommending this one.

This was a great, fun read. If you have ever seen 'She's the Man' and you can say you enjoyed it, then you will like this book.

I really don't know how to reveiw this other than to say it was entertaining, and yes FUN. I happen to like fun when it comes to books so I can handle the Disney movie type gender switch.

I loved that Avery was a uber talented guitarist/vocalist/songwriter who just needed a break. I also loved that Marcus was a rockstar that was lo
Funzee Shu
Apr 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Why I keep picturing this man while am reading this book ??

description

ROLF !!!

That because reading this book brought back may high school memories when I ‘m crazy over this guy, yep !
Its Jon Bon Jovi, ladies !!
You allowed to scream like crazy with me……

When my friend told me about this book, I became very interesting with the story, because its reminds me bout one of Korean Drama that I’ve watched back then in 2009 – if you curious and wanna know bout that tv series, just clik this link http://wiki.d-addic
Mandy (I Read Indie) Anderson
At nineteen years of age Avery has had her fair share of hurt and loss. She just lost her twin brother and now has to pay up mob man Campanella her brother's debt. How is that going to happen without a job and no music contract now that her brother, the other member of their band, is dead? But hope steps up in the form of a Rock-n-Roll legend, Marcus Anthony. Only thing is he doesn’t want a female in the group. So Avery and her manager Trevor work out a plan, one involving a Justin Bieber haircu ...more
Lelyana
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-couples, arc
I need more Marcus Anthony and Avery Jones!!!
This is supposed to be my daughter's read...lol...I was skeptical when my friend Tressa Sager gave it to me as a winner of her giveaway.
But once I read it, I cannot stop reading....!!

Avery was in a mourning losing her twin brother Justin, and she have to pay some sum of money to the mob boss that Justin owed. Life cannot be more desperate for Avery when her manager Trevor asked her to attend an audition for filling a lead guitar's position in Brutal
Rosa Sharon (iScream Books Blog)
Love is a journey, not a destination...
This was my first Michelle Mankin read. I was lured by the promise of a rock star, they are my weakness. I must confess that I absolutely loved the story itself. However; I was a little surprised once I started reading to discover that it was G rated. As I'm sure you know, this is unusual because sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll are usually a package deal. After reading another review that mentioned how much her 13 yr old enjoyed the book I thought to myself, "
Rhonda
Nov 21, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a really cute story. I was drawn in by the blurb, it was different than anything I have read so I wanted to give it a go. I liked the characters okay, but the story fell short in a couple of areas. I felt that there was so much time spent on the music and the band that Marcus and Avery didn't have a chance to fully develop their relationship. Then when I hit about 80% the story felt rushed to the end, and I really wanted the chance to see Marcus and Avery together during happy times.

Ov
Anastasia Antonova
Jul 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Единственное хорошее в этой книге - гендерная интрига. Люблю эту тему, нравится наблюдать за метаниями героев и открытием "страшной тайны". Как роман мне книга не понравилась. Все слишком приторно и неправдоподобно. Один только конец заставил меня разок удариться головой об стол.
Перечитывать точно не буду. Никогда.

Итоговая оценка: 5 из 10
Jackie  Kiwibooknerd
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book......It was a great read.....Would definitely recommend....
Cerera
Мне понравилась. Легкая, напряженная книга. Немного наивности, немного юмора, немного драмы, для одного раза достаточно. Интересно прочесть про других участников.
Vanessa
Jun 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good MC and ending.
Mitch
May 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Love Evolution certainly has an interesting concept, but the execution just didn't work. Most of it reads like a contemporary, a few parts of it like a gritty crime novel, both fine on their own, but the two parts just didn't mesh at all. Avery's debt to the mob felt tacked on, like a weird problem just buzzing in the background. Lots of talk about music, and then Avery gets tortured with a lit cigarette butt (which coincidently only Marcus manages to see afterwards)? Uh, no. And the ending, wha ...more
Andrea Randall
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you like love, rock-n-roll, and a dash of mistaken identity, this book is for you!

Avery's world is turned upside down by the death of her brother and her involvement in his mob goings on. Meanwhile, band Brutal Strength is planning a comeback after lead singer, Marcus Anthony, is released from rehab. The chemistry between Avery and Marcus is palpable in an instant, although there is more to Avery than meets Marcus's eye.

Written in the 3rd person, we are able to take the journey with Avery and
Justine
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
*SPOILER ALERT*
I was loaned this book by a friend and decided to read it right away because I needed a break from paranormal and wanted a light and airy read. At first the premise reminded me of She's the Man with Amanda Bynes, so I figured that it must be cute.
Avery and Justin moved away from their motherless home and abusive dad when it became too much for them to handle. They wanted to make it big in New York as a band, which is probably what would have happened if Justin hadn't gotten into d
Julie Rimpula
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was interesting. Reminded me of the Koreanovela He's Beautiful (which I love, by the way). I really dig the whole girl-disguised-as-a-guy thing, although if you think about it, it definitely wouldn't work in real life, right? Physical differences and everything.

But anyway, all that aside, I really enjoyed Love Evolution. I liked the chemistry between Avery and Marcus even when Avery was pretending to be a guy. I also admire her talent. I'm a sucker for talented characters. I just wished Aver
William
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a big fan of romance novels. So, I don't read many. However, Love Evolution by Michelle Mankin is an exception. The author's description of her book caught my eye. Love Evolution is an adaptation of William Shakespeare's Twelvth Night. To access an overused phrase she hit the ball out of the park!
While Love Evolution is not a romantic comedy, it does have the parallel theme of romantic love as a main focus. In the same way that Viola was longing for the Duke's attention, Avery was desper
At least I read
May 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
I think the beginning had promise. The whole pretend to be a guy thing and so forth. But seriously if this girl pretending to be a guy is hanging around a lot of men how are they not going to realize she isn't a guy? Her voice could not have been that different to sound like a guy, she has no facial hair, no adams apple, and if she was suppose to be a good looking guy how pretty a woman could she have been?

That being said it just seems way to illogical for her to have passed for a guy so long in
Zunaira Ghazal
Jul 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
Overly dramatic with useless subplots, sub par characters and shitty dialogue.

Marcus was an overgrown baby. I don't know what the author wanted us to like about him. As far as I could tell he was a jerk, an ass and in perpetual denial.

Avery was an over dramatic freak of a heroin. She was the ultimate Mary Sue and more than once I wanted to just kill her.

I wanted so much to like this story. The premise of a girl dressing up as a guy never gets old; I mean LOOK at She's the Man and Babe in Boyland
Ornella (Nyx)
May 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: abandoned-series
This book had so much potential. Could have easily been a 5. The whole writing fell off, couldn't really get into it till more than halfway through and even then there were still times where it would go off again. The mob could have been handled better, felt like it was just a passing thought, but I mean it's the mob, can't just randomly put tid bits here and there and just leave it like that.

Then there was the end. It was ridiculously rushed. Even though the romance does get built up and it fel
Elizabeth Harwell
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love Evolution is a fun, light read. Those familiar with Shakespeare's 12th Night will get the influences, but you don't have to be familiar to enjoy the story. The author is especially effective with incorporating visual cues for the Vancouver setting. Even if you have never been there, you feel like you have.

Obviously, the author has done a lot of research into the music industry and recording process, giving that aspect of the story believability.

Mankin is new to the young adult fiction wor
Michelle Mankin
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I wrote it. I've got to love it. I heart my characters.
Lindsay
Dec 17, 2012 marked it as kindle-i-own-to-read
Amazon Freebie 12/17/2012

I've had my eye on this for a while! I can't wait to read it.
Meg
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love it! Great adaptation of Twelfth Night :)
Wendy
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ba-authors
This book is a quick read. It gets you from the beginning and holds you until the final encore song!
Lori Ramos
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing

This was adorable! Quick read but a real nice story. Can't wait for the sequel!
Melissa
WORKING ON MY REVIEW!!!
  • Face the Music
  • Under Her Skin
  • Ten Days of Perfect (November Blue, #1)
  • Moving In Reverse (Moving Neutral, #2)
  • Fury (The Sound Wave Series, #1)
  • Blessed Tragedy (Blessed Tragedy, #1)
  • Foolish Games (Foolish Games, #1)
  • What You Do to Me (Unexpected Love, #1)
  • MADversary
  • Heart Song (Biker Rockstar, #2)
  • Incidental Happenstance
  • For Everything
  • Sophie's Turn (Rock Star Romance, #1)
  • Love Today
  • My Once and Future Love (My Once and Future Love, #2)
  • Rock Star's Girl (A Hollywood Dating Story, #1)
  • Love and Truth
  • Sheet Music (Covert Attractions Book 1)
MICHELLE MANKIN is the New York Times bestselling author of the Black Cat Records series of novels.
Rock Stars & Romance. Love & Lyrical Ever Afters.
Love Evolution, Love Revolution, and Love Resolution are a BRUTAL STRENGTH centered trilogy, combining the plot underpinnings of Shakespeare with the drama, excitement, and indisputable sexiness of the rock 'n roll industry.
Things take a bit o

Brutal Strength (3 books)
  • Love Revolution (Brutal Strength #2; Black Cat Records, #2)
  • Love Resolution (Brutal Strength, #3; Black Cat Records, #3)
“If music be the food of love, play on rock on . William Shakespeare