Start by marking “Shamans, Healers, and Medicine Men” as Want to Read:
Shamans, Healers, and Medicine Men

Shamans, Healers, and Medicine Men

4.46  ·  Rating details ·  41 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Shamans, Healers, and Medicine Men explores the primal healing methods of shamans all over the world. The author shows that for these extraordinary men and women, healing is not merely the alleviation of symptoms but entails a transformation of one's relationship to life.
Published November 21st 2000 by Shambhala (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Shamans, Healers, and Medicine Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shamans, Healers, and Medicine Men

Michael
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thought-religion
Exceptionally bold, even borderline crazy--the craziest book I've read, bar none. It turns Western thought inside out and upside down. These accounts of supernatural occurrence are incredible but Kalweit makes a compelling case for a reality underlying them all. There are certainly some errors here, some gross errors, but I believe he's on to something. The book's biggest weakness is in trying to make a universal theory without sufficient inclusion of evidence. (A theory of healing and supernatu ...more
Ryan
Jun 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Not what I was expecting, but quite the ride. I wish he would have stuck to the history and ethnography because his actual arguments sound drug-induced. However, given that he's arguing that the rational mind can't grasp the irrational world, maybe that's the point. The stories themselves are fascinating and make you wonder.
Woody Debris
Nov 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
someday...I'll start shamanizing
Cintain 昆遊龍
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indigenous
Bold and wide-ranging, but with a clear purpose. I really enjoyed the author's ideas and the breadth and depth of his studies in order to arrive at his conclusions. Kalweit drives the point home beautifully and convincingly, that Western social sciences need to move beyond antiquated forms and notions in order to delve into the realm of consciousness. I love his representation of shamans as experts in consciousness, and the poverty of the modern world that stems from a narrow worldview, too afra ...more
brooksea
Mar 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
i particularly like the sections that connect the modern epidemic of depression and anxiety with the impoverished or unfulfilled spiritual experience...our fearful resistance to the death of the ego self that is so integral to true healing and growth that is part of the shamanic experience.there is a modern day witch hut in the form of pharmaceutical drugs that is systemically snuffing out our deeply inherited spiritual connections to the universe and each other.
Fitzy
Oct 08, 2008 is currently reading it
I'm fascinated by shamanism. So far, this text delves into extensive accounts of shamans from all over the globe, and identifies the common threads in all of their tales - self-realization, initiation, abilities, etc. In that sense, the book feels much like the work of Joseph Campbell, who did some of world's most exhaustive work in the field of comparitive religion and mythology.

Keith