Start by marking “Flames in the Midst (The Jade Hale Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Flames in the Midst (The Jade Hale Series, #1)

Flames in the Midst

(The Jade Hale Series #1)

What if you denied being a witch your whole life?
What if you believed you killed your own mother?
What if you were wrong?
Jade Hale seeks a normal life as she hides her magical and tragic upbringing. But when destiny steals her from the present to her past, she discovers an unwelcomed truth — her mother’s death wasn’t an accident. In a whirlwind of circumstance, her quest fo
Published August 14th 2011 (first published May 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Flames in the Midst, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flames in the Midst

Start your review of Flames in the Midst (The Jade Hale Series, #1)
Amy_Read to My Heart's Content
May 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Read to My Heart's Content Reviews:

Wonderful book! I loved Jade, even though there were times she could seem to question herself too much. But through all the things she had been through I could understand the hesitation. This is a great read and if you enjoy witches with a little romance then you should pick this up. It is a perfect young adult book with nothing too shocking in it at all.

www.readtomyhearts.blogspot.com
Melissa
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It was a great easy ready that leaves you hoping for a series. The setting and the story line were very well laid out. There are elements of romance, suspense and mystery. This book will appeal to a wide variety of readers, including young adults!
Katie Cooper
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Love the setting and the historical tie-in of Salem. If you're into witches (not usually my thing), this is a good story that ties up nicely but still leaves you wondering enough to want to read the second in the series.
Farfoff
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, liked the characters, and the magic systems. Heroine is likable and believable. I like the setting -- the oldest city, the tie in to history, the modern college, etc.

I'll read more!

May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved reading Flames in the Midst especially Living In St. Augustine I could envision all of the places she was traveling to. I could not put the book down.
Kim
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
My review: Flames in the Midst is the debut novel of Sarah Reckenwald and a fabulous start! I really enjoyed this book and I am definitely going to be reading the next book in the series.
Jade is an interesting character, different from many lead female characters. She is a bit socially awkward and has lived her life a bit distanced from the rest of her peers, purposefully. She is young, but mature because of the life she has led with a world view that is different from most girls her age. I actu
Lisa
Jul 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-lit
This book has most of the things current YA books seem to have in common. There is a supernatural element--witches and what happens if witches don't think of their ability as a gift but as a curse. There is a love triangle which is not common in just YA, but hate suddenly turning to love seems to be a common thing. As usual teenage angst and the growth of the character from a whining teenager into the beginning of adulthood also makes an appearance.
The plot felt a little rushed to me, but the st
Terri Harper
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
The only reason I'm not rating this as a 5 star book is that this just isn't my usual genre; however, this book actually pulled me in. As opposed to the "heroine" in a certain popular series of vampire books in this same genre, Jade is actually a likable and rounded character. The writing style had a nice ease and flow to it, with enough suspense to keep me reading, so that I finished the book in only a few sittings. It is certainly set up for a sequel, and that would be welcomed by me.
Devrie
Jul 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
The book has a very compelling story that is easy to sink into. The language is very clear and the descriptions are on point, perhaps to a fault. I like poetic, figurative descriptions, and I find that the author spells out a little too much at times--not too much though. It's a personal reading choice thing. Overall, the story is captivating and fun. In fact, it can be a little tricky to tell the sort of story this author tells, and she did an amazing job.
mirba
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, magic, urban-fantasy
This is another quite unexpectedly high quality book. The writing is amazing, the world is really original and very different. The characters feels almost real, and the emotions it gives you are true.

I especially loved that while there are quite a few plot lines left open it doesn't end with a cliffhanger, but the main story closes nicely.

Relly good job.
Karla Marie
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Pretty good! I liked the story a lot, I don't want to spoil antyhing but I wish it had ended differently. I guess there is room for a sequel :)
Jo
Jul 21, 2012
colleen ackley
rated it it was ok
Feb 15, 2017
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote

• Solutions and Other Problems
  • The Invited
  • The Turn of the Key
  • Behind Closed Doors
  • Someone We Know
  • Audrey, Wait!

The Jade Hale Series (2 books)
  • Dreams in the Midst (The Jade Hale Series, #2)