Start by marking “Locke and Key: Guide to the Known Keys” as Want to Read:
Locke and Key: Guide to the Known Keys

Locke and Key: Guide to the Known Keys

(Locke & Key one-shot)

"This special standalone issue features an expanded Guide to the Known Keys, an all-new Guide to Failed Keys, and a story of summer-night magic, set in Keyhouse's unlikely past."
Published 2011 by IDW

To ask other readers questions about Locke and Key, please sign up.
Ryan Stokes Welcome to Lovecraft
Head Games
Crown of Shadows
Keys to the Kingdom
Clockwork
Alpha and Omega

Caro the Helmet Lady
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you haven't read Locke and Key series yet, you sooo should, before there's TV series out everybody will be watching and you will be the sad sod who haven't read the series yet. As much as Stranger Things was childish (yes it was, duuh, but I loved it nonetheless, so don't boo me), this one's probably gonna be too, but I expect it to be good, at least.

As for this story - it was beautiful and sad in the first part, and in the second one we get to learn some more about the Keys plus some secret
mark monday
Jun 04, 2013 rated it liked it
picture if you will a sick child. the child is brave, the child is loved. the child longs for adventures his frail little body will never allow him. the child will die in agony. picture if you will a father. if you were the father to such a child, what would you do? you are a father who has done things, who can do things, magic things. and yet there is no magic cure. but perhaps you can do something yet: create a fantasia, create a perfect childworld. bring back ghosts from the past. take your c ...more
Amanda
Sep 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm glad I only paid $1.99 for this as it was somewhat disappointing. The extra story is touching but I was expecting more new information about the keys and it wasn't really there. The guide to the keys was in the back of several of the volumes. In the other hand it's short and you get an extra emotional key story.
Ferdy
The main story with Ian and his dad and the moon wasn't all that engrossing, but the various diary entries at the end about the different keys and how the Locke family used them was pretty interesting.
Loved the illustrations, especially the ones inside the moon.
Sooraya Evans
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Nothing compared to the main story line.
If you're new to Locke and Key, it's probably more fun to find out about the keys progressively through the main series.
♠ Eze ♠
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Le bajo una estrella porque es muy corto y me gustaria seguir leyendo.
Amrryn
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphics-comics
3.5 stars. The moon key story was adorable. I really wish there were more keys to go into.
Nancy
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
While this story could be a stand alone, this story is better understood if you have read the issue "Small World", as this has the family found in that story. We meet Chamberlin Locke and his wife Fiona and their four children. This story centers on their sickly son Ian, who is prone to convulsions, who can’t be cured by the magical mending cabinet in their home. Ian, his father and family friend Harland board a special hot air balloon to take them to the other side of the moon. This beautiful b ...more
malo
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
The first part was a non-typical emotional and sad story that pulls at your heart strings (and not a dark one), while the second part was the actual guide. It is a good supplement to the story as a summary of the known keys, but the best part for me was the story preceding the guide.
Kaisersoze
Sep 12, 2013 rated it liked it
This single comic length addition to the universe created by Hill and Rodriguez serves as handy little recap of the various keys and their functions, as well as adds one extra key via a short story following some of the Locke ancestors. Not necessary for those who are reading straight through the series, but for someone like me, who had taken a break of a few months while waiting for Volume 6: Alpha & Omega to drop, it's ideal.
Jesse
Do you like to cry? Cause this story will make you want to cry. I read this before I read volume 5 of the series and it took me right back into this world. I world where even the least nefarious events, are still tinged with bitter sweet aspects. Its a wondrous story with magic and flight, and personal tragedy. Its great, just don't read it on a day your feeling bummed.
Adam Shaeffer
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
No new keys here, particularly after reading Clockworks, but the little one off story, "Open the Moon," was truly beautiful. As a dad, it moved me nearly to tears, and that doesn't happen very often. Loved it.
Yayo del Rëy
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OOOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!
Esta historia corta (que ocurre muchos años antes de la saga original) es demasiado hermosa y triste :( Me gustó demasiado demasiado, y esa última imagen es pero DEMASIADO TRISTE :( !!!!
Felipe Alemán
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
It was good, but I was expecting something different.
Katherine Sigarán
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic short story set in this world of Locke & Key, and the guide to the known keys is very entertaining and interesting to know more about the ancestors of the Locke family.

Una fantástica historia corta ambientada en este mundo de Locke & Key, y la guía de llaves conocidas es muy entretenida e interesante para conocer más sobre los antepasados de la familia Locke.

Alfredo
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Para terminar el año, una belleza suprema y corta. Amor puro, condensado.
Jessica
Aug 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
1 Confusing-Stars! ☆
What the hell did i just read?
The first short story had nothing to do with the house , which was upsetting to begin with. Then the father used a key to he could get rid of his sick son.
What?!

The father and son get into a hot air balloon and they go high enough that they are able bump into the moon? Wait, because if you thought that was impossible, then the father opens the moon with a key, like a door and walks inside to a place that looks like the backstage to a theater?
Wh
Dan Guajars
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-book
No le puse cinco estrellas porque llegué al final y quedé con gusto a poco, QUIERO MÁS!
Entiendo que es un tomo único, la historia es hermosa y me hizo llorar. Ya estoy ansioso por el tercer volumen de L&K, MUUUY ansioso.
Hone Haapu
Dec 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Shameless scraping out of the barrel of Locke & Key here. Was nice to finally get my head around all the keys and their uses. The authors dont make a big deal of parading each key around and describing it during the main story.
Valeska
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Alex
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Nice addition to the whole series. Pretty mice moon story
Nicole Bugueño
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, comics, library
Leido en Febrero del 2016

Entendí poco en que se relaciona a la trama original, pero puta la wea hermosa y triste :(
Constanza
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Es una historia increíble, sólo voy a decir que se me escaparon unas lagrimitas al final...:)
traten de conseguirla <3
Giota
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
The loss of a son. Dark and strange and heart-wrenching.
Chris
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel, kindle
I'm not crying, it's just raining out. This one off comic in the L&K universe almost had me in tears. One of the Key House residents has a son with, presumably, a brain tumor. He is quickly going down hill and the father can't bear any longer to see his son in misery. He makes a childhood story come alive, with the workings behind the moon, and in L&K story fashion essentially puts his son out of his misery. This one introduces the moon key, which basically unlocks the afterlife. As a fa ...more
Eeeroars
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hill. Winz. Always.

Ckvicogificuvigigicifivifeydsvjvivobpbobo xucufififufucici jviviviviviviviciviv ifucucivivk ifudyduflfuckvkv fifudifjcifueuduvkv uf dcicicigigifuvicifucicufueud jcuyducicicififuficuccjvuficivkvkdydjvi. Fjcjcufufixifigicic. One. One. One. One. I’m. Thank. Thank. You. Thank. You.
Marikiya
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5. Tenía ganas de volver al mundo de estos cómics y en esta ocasión me tocaban leer los especiales. La primera parte de esta entrega es una historia muy tierna. La segunda mitad es la información de todas las llaves de la casa (esas que poco a poco íbamos descubriendo en la historia, por lo tanto nada nuevo). Pero aun así es un relato breve muy bien llevado y dibujado :)
Václav
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: digital
This short story from L&K lore is nice, punchy and bit touching. I really liked both the ideas and the point here. Well, that's maybe the problem of main L&K series, the idea is too stretched so it starts to crack. But this one is nice.
Swati
a companion one short.
Samanta
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Es una historia corta y tiene información de algunas llaves.
La historia la lei para llenar el vacío después de haber terminado los tomos, y no fue suficiente.
  • Witch Doctor, Vol. 1: Under the Knife
  • The Private Eye, Volume One
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Slayer, Interrupted (Season 9, #5)
  • House of Mystery, Volume 5: Under New Management
  • Angel & Faith #1
  • The Amazing Screw-on Head and Other Curious Objects
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Magical Mystery Tour Featuring the Beetles (Season 9, #0)
  • Pretty Deadly #4
  • Elfquest The Hidden Years
  • Atomic Robo: The Ghost of Station X (Atomic Robo, #6)
  • Alex + Ada #5
  • Mind the Gap, Volume 2: Wish You Were Here
  • Kill Shakespeare, Vol. 3: The Tide of Blood
Joe Hill's debut, Heart-Shaped Box, won the Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel. His second, Horns, was made into a film freakfest starring Daniel Radcliffe. His other novels include NOS4A2, and his #1 New York Times Best-Seller, The Fireman... which was also the winner of a 2016 Goodreads Choice Award for Best Horror Novel.

He writes short stories too. Some of them were gathered together in

Locke & Key (6 books)
  • Welcome to Lovecraft (Locke & Key, #1)
  • Head Games (Locke & Key, #2)
  • Crown of Shadows (Locke & Key, #3)
  • Keys to the Kingdom (Locke & Key, #4)
  • Clockworks (Locke & Key, #5)
  • Alpha & Omega (Locke & Key, #6)