Start by marking “Charlotte: Pride & Prejudice Continues (Pride & Prejudice Continues #1)” as Want to Read:
Charlotte: Pride & Prejudice Continues (Pride & Prejudice Continues #1)

Charlotte: Pride & Prejudice Continues

(Pride & Prejudice Continues #1)

When Charlotte Lucas married Mr Collins, she did not love him but had at least secured her future. However, what price must she pay for that future? She once said she was not romantic, but how true is that now after almost one year of marriage?

Mr Collins is submissive in the extreme to his patroness, and his constant simpering, fawning and deference to the overbearing and
Kindle Edition, Second Edition, 348 pages
Published August 3rd 2012 by Carriage Publishing (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Charlotte, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charlotte

Sophia
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love it when minor characters get to shine in their own right so I was pleased to pick up this story about Charlotte Collins, the best friend of the heroine in Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice. I wasn't sure what to expect, but truthfully this one knocked my socks off with many surprises. It is a sequel and follows the events of P&P, but shifting the spotlight to Hunsford and Rosings.

Charlotte has realized that for all her prosaic and pragmatic words to Lizzy, that she is not as reconci
Don Jacobson
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Redemption Through Love

Digging into the backlist for some well crafted stories, I came across this gem. Ms Aminadra explores an extension of the Charlotte Lucas/William Collins story. Aminadra's portrait of the smarmy cleric shows the redemptive power of love as both principals. Gain a deeper understanding of each other and how a marriage actually works. The author's portrait of Collins is an inverse Dorian Gray...with good appearing to erase the bowing and scraping character. His blemishes begi
Madenna U
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This Pride and Prejudice sequel gives us a window into the lives of Charlotte and William Collins just starting with Elizabeth and Darcy's engagement announcement. Charlotte realizes that she has put herself in a bad situation and for the first time in her life is jealous. She begins to stand her ground against Lady Catherine and Collins constant agreement with her dictates. As she begins to take control of her life and happiness she is able to change her relationship with her husband, with a fe ...more
Erin
Apr 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

In the world of Austen based lit, Karen Aminadra's Charlotte was a pleasant surprise. I'd picked it up as a freebie and didn't expect much from the piece, but ultimately enjoyed the author's refreshingly original take on Mr. and Mrs. Collins. Building on Austen's beloved classic, Aminadra chronicles the early days of William and Charlotte's marriage, offering readers the opportunity to indulge their love of Pride and Prejudi
Charlene
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
WOW !! Loved this book. This continuation takes us into the unusual direction in that it is not about Darcy and Elizabeth. This story is about Charlotte and Mr Collins and how there story continues on. Mr collins is the toady sycophant that we all know and cringe about. The story starts out just before Darcy and Elizabeth's wedding and we see Mr Collins as his usual self. Charlotte is wonderful in how she handles him and does make Mr collins see thing diferently. It was diverting to see Charlott ...more
Alaura
Jun 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
In the beginning, I adored this book. I've always thought that Charlotte was an interesting character and I was curious how her marriage with Mr. Collins ended up. This book gave me one answer. The book was well-written and well-timed. Also, I liked how most of the time the author didn't try to be Jane Austen. She was her own voice. However, there were a few issues that caused me to give a lower rating than other reviewers.

Problem 1: This book was clearly based off the Keira Knightley version of
Ginger Myrick
May 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Charlotte has finally been given her due! She is no longer the less interesting and attractive sidekick of Lizzie Bennett but a flesh and blood woman with a personality, opinions, and desires of her own. With the piquancy of Jane Austen’s Emma but of a more reserved disposition (let us not go too far!) the portrait Aminadra paints of her Charlotte is so spirited, vibrant, and witty, it makes this reader wonder how she ever perceived her as plain.

Though still tolerant and gentle (she has put up
Tamra
Jan 03, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was disappointing. The book dragged and I found myself skipping paragraphs to get through the book. I enjoyed the relationships Charlotte developed with the neighbors as well as her relationship with lady Catherine. It was nice for her to find an ally in Colonel Fitzwilliam. Then their relationship took an unbelievable turn and the book went downhill from there. This book had potential but it's as if the author was in a hurry to write it and didn't bother fine tuning the characters, pl ...more
Blodeuedd Finland
So this was Charlotte's book. It takes place after Lizzy and Darcy married. And someone is maaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. Lady Catherine is such an idiot.

This book then. Charlotte finds herself content, but wishing for more. So she tries her best to change her simpering fool. But he is as we all all about Lady C. BUT, he does change, slowly over time. And to my surprise I even found myself liking him...but it did take to the end ;)

We have Charlotte trying to teach Collins some manners. We have Lady C ruling
Sharolyn
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was a little worried at first that this book would be too weird, but it was REALLY good I thought. The author did a nice job of incorporating Jane Austen's characters into this new story. I'm going to look for more books by this author.
Jennifer Petkus
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It shows a great deal of charity to think kindly on the odious Mr. Collins of Pride and Prejudice. Sure, we all feel for Charlotte Collins née Lucas, who, knowing that her marital prospects are not good, accepts his offer of marriage.

As Charlotte confessed to Elizabeth Bennet: “I ask only a comfortable home; and considering Mr. Collins’s character, connection, and situation in life, I am convinced that my chance of happiness with him is as fair as most people can boast on entering the marriage s
Tanya
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, historical
writer...
YaY!
a delish new read just added to my kindle :)
Thank you to Karen for offering this on her blog ~ a very creatively FuN giveaway !
and a HaPpY Reader here responding ") anticipation...

Currently enjoying my reading of Charlotte's story as participation in Austen in August...
Karen has written a captivating tale enlivening Charlotte to the reader and developing my interest in her story from the first page ~

From an understanding of Charlotte in P&P, I accepted her choice to marry Rev Collins as
Alisa
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the story of Mr. Collins and Charlotte. It begins where Pride and Prejudice leaves off -- with a ridiculous Mr. Collins who values the opinions of his "esteemed" patroness, Lady Catherine over those of his own wife.

Charlotte realizes that she can do more good as a pastor's wife then just jumping every time Lady Catherine snaps. So she starts (gasp!) forming her own opinions and acting according to her own conscience!

So Lady Catherine instructs Mr. Collins on how to correct his errant wif
Michele Kallio
May 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Attention Jane Austen fans! Charlotte- Pride and Prejudice Continues is for you! Aminadra does an amazing job of recreating Austen's world. Her characters leap from the page! They are warm and full-blooded and true to Austen's orignal creations. Careful detail has been paid to speech and mannerisms and I found that I had to remind myself that it was not Jane Austen who had written this delightful book but Karen Aminadra. I believe Austen would be pleased with how her characters are portrayed and ...more
D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews
A beautiful continuation of Pride and Prejudice, Charlotte follows the story of Mrs Collins in her new life in Hunsford as the wife of Mr William Collins. The style is very much in the spirit of the original work, and the very believable storyline is one that might have been thought up by Austen herself had she written a sequel. I very much enjoyed reading this novel, and I think all fans of Pride and Prejudice will love it. I'd certainly like to see a TV dramatisation of this one day! Thoroughl ...more
Katherine
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I love Pride & Prejudice and I love books that go into the side characters lives and see where they end up! I enjoyed this book about Charlotte, I felt that it stayed true to her personality and ways, and I was very pleased with the authors growth of Charlotte's character through-out the book.

Kristen
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Cheryl
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fun read. So glad I found it. I came to understand Charlotte and Mr Collins so much more. I actually enjoyed them both! It was great to see them grow. I had to question in my mind if the author's portrayal of Colonel Fitzwilliam is true to his character in Jane Austen's work. Makes me want to go retread it. Overall I was quite impressed.
Stevie
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
I tried . . . I really did, after all, it was a free book. And at first, I thought it might pass as an easy, pleasant read, but I just couldn't even make it all the way to the end. I gave it two stars instead of one because if you are into the Jane Austen "sequel" novels, then you might enjoy it.
Aug 04, 2012 marked it as the-book-dump
The first page told me I wouldn't like the rest of the pages.
Victoria
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was very impressed with this story, especially considering that the focus is Charlotte and Mr Collins, and it doesn't involve him being a villain - as he is often characterized in JAFF.

I think that their developing relationship could be very plausible in cannon and it was really nice to see them grow.

I wasn't a fan of the Colonel Fitzwilliam storyline and admit to skimming some of it while going "Ugh!". But with that said, I enjoyed the book as a whole.
Talia
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I struggled with this book due to my love of Col Fitzwilliam plus Charlotte flirting with him at all when she is so practical seemed a stretch.
Candy
May 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: austenesque
Lovely, lovely story! I found this story to be quite charming! I felt for the most part it stayed true to Jane Austen.

I know this book is about Charlotte, but could it be that I actually came to like, yes, like Mr. Collins! I did not think that was possible, but I did! (I cannot say love and Mr. Collins in the same sentence!)

Poor Charlotte finds herself regretting marrying Mr. Collins. She is bitter; she just wants to stay home and be left alone. The intimacies of marriage and the high-and-might
Suzan Tisdale
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I believe I must qualify my review my saying it has been decades since I've read Pride and Prejudice. I must also admit that I remember very little of it.

With that said the following is my review of Charlotte -- Pride and Prejudice Continues.

This is an absolutely charming and delightful read! I easily give it five stars, two thumbs up and a gold star! It is very well written.

Ms. Aminadra has done a very fine job of carefully allowing her characters - Mr. Collins and Charlotte- to grow not only a
Jeanne Johnston
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
The unspoken subtitle here is obviously "In Which Charlotte and Mr Collins Redeem Themselves," though I have to admit I still resist liking the latter. Here, Charlotte grows a backbone, makes progress in inspiring her husband to do the same, and after a few bumps in the road, a happy ending comes about.

Not a bad story, and I have to admit I hated the original ending that left Charlotte settling for a ridiculous sycophant and a lifetime of regret. However, the lack of editing killed me. Virtuall
Contemplative
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book is rated PG. I don't know about you but I kinda like to know that up front so I don't keep reading waiting for the spice only to find it's rather bland. This one has a very little. ** Spoiler Alert** I'm sorry but I cringed at the intimate scenes with Mr. Collins. I never quite got over how creepy he was in the book and movie: Pride and Prejudice. I was really hoping Charlotte was going to move on. Probably not a realistic expectation especially for that time period but, one could hope ...more
Julie
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: austen-inspired
This author wants to take some minor characters from Pride & Prejudice and play their story out to happier endings. I understand her want, but part of what makes Jane Austen so interesting is her portrayal of people as they are. I believe people can change, but I'm not sure they can change as much as she changes Mr. Collins. But it made for a good story for Charlotte.

However, there is one part that I really objected to. (Spoiler alert!) What she did with Colonel Fitzwilliam and Charlotte. Th
Samantha
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I personally really enjoyed this book. I am often skeptical of Jane Austen Pride and Prejudice spin-off novels (although I end up reading a lot of them); but this one is one of my new favorites. I will not spoil main plot points, but I love how the story is very centered on Charlotte's life and very rarely mentions Lizzie at all, which pleases me in the sense that this story isn't just an excuse to continue Pride and Prejudice. It is a separate story that stands on its own, but reading P&P w ...more
Hemmie Martin
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally read historical romance, and it has been many years since reading the classics. Having said this, I very quickly became absorbed in this novel and it was rather fun revisiting Elizabeth Bennett and Mr.Darcy - albeit briefly for this particular pair.
The vocabulary was very in-keeping with the era, and I could picture the scenes clearly, as they were well written.
As this book progressed I became hooked and needed to know what the outcome would be, as there were two roads which cou
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Authors...: Free 27/28/29 JULY 2 10 Jul 28, 2012 11:26AM
Amazon Kindle: Free 27/28/29 JULY 1 14 Jul 28, 2012 11:10AM
Books, Blogs, Aut...: Free 27/28/29 JULY 1 5 Jul 28, 2012 11:09AM
Indie Book Collec...: Free 27/28/29 JULY 1 5 Jul 28, 2012 11:08AM

• Caroline Bingley
  • Darcy's Decision (Given Good Principles #1)
  • Mr. Darcy's Letter: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
  • One Thread Pulled: The Dance with Mr. Darcy
  • Searching for Captain Wentworth
  • Pemberley to Waterloo (Pride and Prejudice Chronicles, #2)
  • His Good Opinion: A Mr. Darcy Novel (Brides of Pemberley, #1)
  • Becoming Elizabeth Darcy
  • The Knights of Derbyshire (Pride and Prejudice Continues, # 5)
  • Longbourn's Unexpected Matchmaker
  • The Three Colonels: Jane Austen's Fighting Men (Jane Austen's Fighting Men, #1)
  • Behind Jane Austen's Door
  • Falling for Mr. Darcy
  • He Taught Me to Hope (Darcy and the Young Knight's Quest #1)
  • First Impressions: A Tale of Less Pride & Prejudice

Pride & Prejudice Continues (3 books)
  • Rosings (Pride & Prejudice Continues #2)
  • Wickham (Pride & Prejudice Continues #3)