Start by marking “Dead & Gone (Rot & Ruin #2.5)” as Want to Read:
Dead & Gone (Rot & Ruin #2.5)

Dead & Gone

(Rot & Ruin #2.5)

How did Riot escape from the Night Church? How did she survive the Rot & Ruin—and the horrors of her own past? There’s only one way to find out....

Jonathan Maberry explores the origins of a fascinating new character in an exclusive e-short story set in the land of the Rot & Ruin.
Published August 14th 2012 by Simon & Schuster

Shannon
Honestly, I'm not really a big fan of novellas or short stories. Too many times they don't feel whole and just seem like something to hold you off until the next full novel. Dead & Gone somehow manages to not feel like an afterthought, but like a fully thought-out story.

I really enjoyed this; especially being introduced to this new character (and faction? maybe?) as well as another group of survivors. It's immensely interesting to see that people are dealing with this post-apocalyptic world
Karen’s Library
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this insight into how Riot became Riot!
Michael Parrish
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Read any of the other reviews I've written about author Jonathan Maberry's body of work and you'll see I have an affinity for his unique brand of intriguing characters that find themselves in extreme circumstances that smack of the real or at least feasible world. He spends time crafting something that stays with you after you turn the Kindle off or close the cover on the last page - he's done it again in this e-book mini set in the YA world of Benny Imura (Rot & Ruin / Dust & Decay / th ...more
Heather Faville
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Make no bones about it, I am a HUGE fan of author Jonathan Maberry, especially the world he has created in the Rot & Ruin series. Dead & Gone is a novella within this world that introduces us to a new character Riot and a group of zealots who are attempting to get Riot back to where, in their eyes, she belongs. Along the way Riot meets some new, dare she say, friends and we learn quite a bit about Riot's past and maybe even a glimpse into her future.

I really enjoyed meeting some new char
Melissa Chung
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This novella comes right after Dust & Decay and before you read Flesh & Bone. It's about Sister Margaret a young girl brought up in the Church of Night. She is raised to be a reaper. You would think that she was destined to kill zombies because in the Rot & Ruin that is the majority, but no. Her fellow church goers are actually hunting breathers. Living people that the church claim need to be given the "gift of darkness" especially the children. "Children should not have to suffer in ...more
C Joy
Glad I read this before the 3rd book in the series.

In this short story, we meet Riot, a new character who's fighting and living alone in the vast openness of the former America, now called the Rot & Ruin. She used to be from the "Night Church", a bunch of righteous bastards who believe that "sending people and zombies to the darkness" is the path to peace, or to put it in understandable terms, killing them is God's will.

I'm once again pulled in by Jonathan Maberry's superb storytelling. The
*Suzy (ereaderuser)*
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012
No compaints about this book! Well maybe one... I wish it was longer!
Kreiden
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Everyone is part of the piece of the puzzle! I am awed and emotional about these characters in their own way of survival. A nerve-wrecking quick reads.
Allison
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
U.
Tom Britton
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quick read if enjoy Rot and Ruin . Not a zombie guy but enjoy this series. Little to religious with the Night Church that a turn off . But overall a quick fun read
innae
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, teen, zombie
Sadly, it has been too long and I don't recall who Riot is (so I must go re-read the other books..right? :-) But I did enjoy her story, and it did get me hyped up to read more in this series (some of them, again)
Jess
Aug 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: heroine-pov, zombie
So this is a mini-novella set between the second and third book of the Benny Imura Zombie series by Jonathan Maberry.

I still found myself struggling like I did with the second book with the "manga-esque" feeling I keep getting from the series. It was assuaged a little this time by me trying to put myself in the mindset that this is just the first zombie series I've read that takes place in a alternate fantasy world.

I'm not a fan of fiction books that are -mostly- set in our real world with just
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This novella takes place between Dust and Decay and Flesh and Bone and introduces us to a few new characters who I am assuming will show up in Flesh and Bone. Although I know technically all of these books are categorized as horror, they haven't felt like horror to me. This novella had me on the edge of my seat though. We are also introduced to an organization called the Night Church, and organization that totally scares me from what we little bits and pieces we learn about it in this novella (a ...more
Angie
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Dead and Gone is a little novella set between Dust and Decay and Flesh and Blood. In it we meet Riot aka Sister Margaret. She is running away from the Church of Night zealots who want to return her to their life. Along the way she fights zombies and tries not to starve in the desert. Then she meets Jolt and Gummi Bear. They are survivors with a different mentality...they don't kill. They see the world and survival as a game to be played and enjoyed.

It was nice to meet new characters in the Rot &
Amy at bookgoonie
If you are like me, I’m wondering who the heck is Riot? The characters in this novella expand our knowledge of the Rot & Ruin beyond the circle of Benny Imura. We really don’t learn a lot about Riot’s background other than she is a trained killer of the Night Church. She must have a moral compass, because she is trying to escape this CRAZY HATER of a cult. She is doing decent job until a zombie horde stumbles upon her. These hordes give me the heebie jeebies.

Luckily in bounces, Jolt and his
Gabrielle Neah
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was nice to meet few new INTRIGUING characters that will be in the 3rd book. Both showed extremely different philosophies- Riot that was running away from the night church, that hoped to kill its way to making a "quiet world" while Jolt and GummiBear were playful and alive to think that THEY DON'T KILL ZOMS they only ran and bike their way for survival. It was cool that riot joined jolt and gummi bear. It left me wondering how riot will adjust and how will they face the threat of the night ch ...more
Malissa
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I didn't rate books (extra content) #.5 or #1.5, but I'm rating this one. Maybe the difference is that I'm now waiting on bk 3's release and so this new character (who may show up in bk 3, right? Right?!) is fresh for me. Maybe it's that this short story was made to be a more complete, stand alone story since it was being offered for a couple bucks rather than free. Either way, I really, really enjoyed Riot's story and want more. Short as it is, it sucked me in faster than Rot & Ruin. That's ...more
Nate
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed with this short story. For one, I expected 78+ pages of content, but it's more like 60 with some pages containing just 1 sentence and another 10-15 pages containing story from upcoming Flesh and Bone novel.

With regards to plot, this book amounts to Riot being hungry and on the run, then meeting characters more interesting than herself. I would much rather this story have been about Jolt and Gummi Bear. Or Maberry could have picked up Riot's story earlier in her life and painte
Bobby Cooper
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bobbys-favorites

This was full of action and heart. This is set in the world of the ROTnRUIN New characters are introduced. One,Riot, a girl who knows how to fight. Recently escaping THE RED CHURCH,people intent on wiping out the remnant of the human race. Shes on her own surviving,trying to dodge the grey men and gets befriended be JOLT,and other new characters who help her. I couldnt put this down. YOU NEED TO GO GET THIS RIGHT NOW !! Theres even a special treat at the end I promise youll love...A whole chapt
 Marla
I was expecting a short tale about Benny Imura, but what I got instead was a story about Sister Margaret, a runaway from a cult of hunters. Sister Margaret meets 2 boys who don't kill, not even zombies, and Riot joins their group. I am looking forward to meeting up with her in the next book, Flesh & Bone.

With reservations:
violence, death
Charissa
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Brian
Dec 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
Blargle... I rampaged through the other books in the series, but this one felt like it took forever. There wasn't a good overarching anything (e.g. plot, set of characters). This felt like the author had some scenes leftover from writing the other books he didn't know what to do with and wrapped them up into Dead & Gone (aka Rot & Ruin: Directors Cut).

Maybe if you are a HUGE fan this will feel worthwhile, otherwise, save yourself the time.
Lorre
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dead & Gone is about a 15-year-old girl Sister Margaret aka Riot after she escapes her mother's Night Church cult.

She's trying to survive in the dessert while avoiding the Reapers, trainded killers from the Night Church, to bring her back or if that fails, kill her.

Loved this novella and I Hope to see Riot and the new friends she's made in the full novels.
Stacey
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very good short story. It introduced you to new characters who I am sure play a large part in the next book in the series. Additionally it tied in a character we already knew, Solomon Jones. It didnt give too many details but it included him so I am sure that it will play a part in the next chapter of Benny Imura.
Jen
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love this series! This look at how Riot became Riot is fun, exciting, suspenseful, and zombie filled - just like the rest of the series.

Mayberry has created an unforgettable cast of characters and a zombie adventure unlike any other in this series and I can't wait to find ou what happens next.
Jamie Brooks
Riot is such an awesome character. The idea to have a short story surrounding just her was brilliant. We got a peek at how she got the name Riot and her experience after leaving the reapers. I felt there could have been another chapter or two about the scavenger camp at the end,but oh well.
Bonnie
More zombies! This series (Benny Imura) is VERY mild and perfect for easing pre-teens into zombies. It's just what I need to gradually get me into the scarier stuff because I have a feeling book zombies are even more scary than the ones on TV and in the movies. :)
Martha Washam
Jan 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I too was very disappointed in this one. I am a huge fan, and my complaint really isnt with the novella so much as the lack of care by the publisher? Was purchased via BN in the packaged deal....I have pages and paragraphs missing in this one.
Patrick
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Really good. I had already read the first three books before reading this. I didn't have an ereader yet! But reading this after the third book made me understand Riot a bit more. Great writing, and Writer!
Kathleen Lanman
I found this story to be too short to do more than set up a cast of characters that are then left unexplored. Are the characters Riot meets members of the group she is part of in the third book? Perhaps if I had read this before reading Flesh & Bone, I would have made some connections.
Jonathan Maberry : Dead & Gone 4 26 Oct 08, 2012 05:21PM
  • Shambling With the Stars (Living With the Dead, #2.5)
  • Thistle & Thorne
  • Hare Moon (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #0.1)
  • Last Rites (Dying to Live, #3)
  • Crusade (Eden #2)
  • San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats (Newsflesh Trilogy, #0.50)
  • Boarded Window (Warm Bodies)
  • The Savage Dead
  • Survivors (Aftertime, #1.5)
  • As The World Dies Untold Tales Volume 3
  • 30 Minute Plan
  • Unfed (Undead, #2)
  • The Enemy: Geeks vs Zombies
  • White Flag of The Dead (White Flag of the Dead, #1)
  • Sadie Walker is Stranded (Zombie, #2)
  • Best New Zombie Tales Vol. 1
JONATHAN MABERRY is a New York Times best-selling and five-time Bram Stoker Award-winning author, anthology editor, comic book writer, magazine feature writer, playwright, content creator and writing teacher/lecturer. He was named one of the Today’s Top Ten Horror Writers. His books have been sold to more than two-dozen countries.

He writes in several genres. His young adult fiction includes ROT &a

Rot & Ruin (7 books)
  • Rot & Ruin (Rot & Ruin, #1)
  • Dust & Decay (Rot & Ruin, #2)
  • Flesh & Bone (Rot & Ruin, #3)
  • Fire & Ash (Rot & Ruin, #4)
  • Bits & Pieces (Rot & Ruin, #5)
  • Broken Lands (Broken Lands, #1)
  • Lost Roads (Broken Lands, #2)