Start by marking “Buddy the Rat” as Want to Read:
Buddy the Rat

Buddy the Rat

2.38  ·  Rating details ·  13 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Buddy the Rat is the harrowing story of an unassuming innocent subjected to the rigors of fickle fate and brought forth through the eyes of a furry little rodent. Buddy lives a comfortable life of routine and contentment, until he is unexpectedly abducted and taken into a house of dysfunction filled with the worst traits of humanity. After being terrorized, starved and tor ...more
ebook, Second Edition, 222 pages
Published 2012 by Saarala Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Buddy the Rat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buddy the Rat

Thomas
Dec 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Reading this book, I was reminded both of I, Houdini and TOILET: THE NOVEL. I found this book on the Free Kindle Books blog, and I would have been happy to spend up to about $1.99 on it, but no more. It's above average quality of the independently published kindle books that I have read, and it served usefully as a short, light break from heavier fiction (I paused to read it at the 40% mark of Theodore Dreiser's rather long An American Tragedy.

There were a few points that I was unable to suspend
Nicole Roberts
Sep 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
The book follows Buddy the rat on his journey from the isle of a department store to his dream of outdoors freedom.
I had a hard time reading this one. It follows Buddy and I think pretty accurately describes life as a rat. I think that sometimes the author tries a little too hard to get into the head of the rat and it makes this a kind of a dull read. I also wondered if the author hated his main character because he just could not let Buddy have a few minutes of peace. Over all, the story was d
Liza
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Buddy the Rat - B.M. Hodges (8/3/12 - 8/30/12)

Wasn't my favorite, it seemed a bit long.

The story of one rats life from his humble and happier beginnings as just one of many in a pet store - safe and fed, if not loved by the employees. To being purchased by a young man from a dysfunctional and abusive family - a young man who treated him with kindness, fed him, gave him water, played with him, got him high and fat.

Buddy the Rat eventually is forced to run for his life where he eventually found t
Cait
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Liked the idea of a story with a rat as the main character, having kept them as pets for years.

Found it really depressing - nothing good seemed to happen to Buddy and I didn't like reading about the cruelty.

The point of view change was unexpected and could have been handled better. I think third-person point of view would have been best all the way through.

Some of the bits about rats were inaccurate which niggled at me.

Liked the preview of the zombie book at the end.
Alison
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a dark tale of hope and suffering told from Buddy the Rat's perspective. Disturbing and compelling for the most part, uplifting in places.
I didn't like the abrupt switch in the narrative half way through the book: it interrupted the flow for no good reason I could see.
Not in the same league as William Horwood's Duncton Chronicles but of that genre.
Sharon
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Life as seen through the eyes of a rat,reminiscent of The Rats of Nimh, I'm not fond of rats, but I was rooting for Buddy and I would have given this book 3 stars had it not been so depressing.
Roz Gibson
Feb 26, 2015
Jennifer Bertram
rated it did not like it
May 18, 2014
Ehab Kashkash
Mar 17, 2015
B.M. Hodges
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
B.M. Hodges was born in Utah, U.S.A., in 1973.
He studied in the United States and Singapore where he was
awarded a Master's Degree in Literary Studies.

He began his writing career in 2008 with Buddy the Rat.

He recently published the horror novel, Zombie Fever: Malaysia Outbreak
and the short story prequel Zombie Fever: Origins. He is currently living in
South East Asia and working on the third install
More about B.M. Hodges...