Start by marking “Fizzlebert Stump: The Boy Who Ran Away from the Circus (and Joined the Library)” as Want to Read:
Fizzlebert Stump: The Boy Who Ran Away from the Circus (and Joined the Library)

Fizzlebert Stump: The Boy Who Ran Away from the Circus

(Fizzlebert Stump #1)

'There are many boys in the world, all slightly different from one another, and most of them are referred to by names. These are often John or Jack or Desmond, but sometimes they are James or Philip or Simon. Once, and once only, there was a boy whose name was Fizzlebert.'

Fizzlebert Stump lives in a travelling circus. But although he gets to hang around with acrobats, play
Published June 7th 2012 by Bloomsbury

To ask other readers questions about Fizzlebert Stump, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fizzlebert Stump

Start your review of Fizzlebert Stump: The Boy Who Ran Away from the Circus (and Joined the Library)
Astiazh
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
شخصیت این داستان یک پسر تقریبا دوازده ساله ست که تو سیرک زندگی می کند و مادرش دلقک و پدرش هم پهلوان سیرک است.که در این کتاب برای او اتفاق هایی می افتد که جالبند.
کتاب را انتشارات هوپا منتشر کرده.
Rifda
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I love this. Library-wise, this is not as library-related as "Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library". But it's fun!

Mr. Harrold did a great job writing this piece, mixing Roald Dahl's and Pseudonymous Bosch's styles.. /will be edited soon/

It's all started from a boy named Fizzlebert Stump who lives in a moving circus. His father is a strong man and his mother is a clown. Everyday, Fizzlebert learns many things from the circus' staffs. Fizzlebert himself is also a circus' staff, he helps the lion m
Caitie
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my best books
James Vachowski
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-boys-like
There are many boys in the world and some of them have the same name, but there’s only one Fizzlebert. This boy is as unique as his name, as he travels with a circus and makes a living by helping the lion tamer with his show. Unfortunately, the one bad thing about living on the road is that he never has time to make any friends his own age. During one particular stop, Fizzlebert finds a library book and attempts to return it himself, not knowing that this trip would change his life forever.

The b
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simply brilliant! I loved everything about this book. It's almost like the author is reading it to you himself.
Gill
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
we did a great Literacy unit in school on this book and Ashley came for an author visit - he was completely engaging and bonkers!
Helen
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chatterbooks
A cautionary tale with a humorous plot. Who knew library membership could be so hazardous?
Alistair
An amusing and entertaining tale about Fizzlebert Stump, a child of the circus and his brush with the dreadful Stinkbottles and the unending joyful prospects that comes with owning a library card.
Pop Bop
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Has Your Fancy Been Tickled Lately?

I'm generally O.K. with books that are narrated with a wink, but those books come in a variety of flavors. Sometimes the narrator can be too condescending or mocking, and sometimes the narrator is a bit too antic or cutesy, and sometimes the narrator is so intrusive he interferes with the story. This book seemed to navigate away from those excesses. Our hero runs away from the circus, which is a clever premise. The narrator strikes just the right balance in sel
Lou Tennant
Fizzlebert (Fizz) stump has the life that many children dream of. He lives in a travelling circus with his Mum (a clown) and his Dad (the strong man), and is home Schooled by some of some of the circuses more eccentric performers, including his psychic French teacher who does not even speak French! But there is one thing missing – friends his own age.
One day after a performance (which involves him putting his head in the mouth of a lion with rubber dentures) Fizz meets some local kids who initi
Kate
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
So let's just be clear, I didn't give this book five stars just because it's about a boy wanting to join the library (although that whole episode was pretty funny). I loved the writing style and the humour, particularly the way the author is quite transparent about the conventions that writers use to keep kids hooked using cliff-hangers and suspsense. He makes a point of flagging this up to the them all the way through by saying things like 'I know it's the oldest trick in the book but I hope it ...more
Jeff Van Campen
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-s-books
I read this with my son while we were camping. He has read the first two Fizzlebert Stump books, and he adores them. I was only able to read a chapter or two of those books (I only get to read bedtime stories on the weekend).

Having read an entire Fizzlebert Stump book, I can see why he loves them. Fizzlebert is a great character: lovable, but imperfect; brave, but sometimes scared; smart, but makes the occasional mistake. And the books are funny on several levels. My son laughed throughout the b
Adele Broadbent
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fizzlebert loves being part of the circus family he was born into. But sometimes he’d like someone his own age to talk to. When he meets some kids after a show, he enjoys their awe at how he puts his head in the lion’s jaws. But afterwards, when they make fun of his name, Fizzlebert is crushed. He soon discovers a library book one of the kids have dropped as they ran away, and on a friend’s advice, decides to return it. You’d think this would be a lot safer than putting your head in a lion’s mou ...more
Charli
Sep 13, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is probably what would have happened if 'The Twits' and 'James and the Giant Peach' had met at a circus, and been smooshed together in some sort of daring act. I like the way this story was told, with the narrator also having his own personality, but some of the copious description did make my eyes flutter across the page for something more exciting to happen. overall, this is a pretty good story for kids to read, and it's kinda educational in its own peculiar way.
Denise
Nov 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think this book would please readers from 8 to 10. It does have expressions and vocabulary that are not common in North America like sat instead of sitting and biro (ballpoint pen) and tip (landfill). The author offers much advice on writing a novel. It had a good plot, interesting characters and some suspense. The librarian was quite amusing. I didn't care for the illustrations. Even though the Stinkthrottles were nasty, I still feel sorry for them at the end.
Gerry
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: good-j-lit, srp-2016
A third graders delight! Can you imagine living in a circus? Well it's not all fun and games. And when you're named Fizzelbert, you find out that maybe you're different.
So when Fizz, sneaks into town to see the library, he's not prepared for what and who he meets.
Very silly writing style with British wording making it extra fun.

Carolyn
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is fun book with the author using end of chapter opportunities to address the reader and keep them hooked. Fizzlebert has his head in a lion's mouth one minute, encountering a librarian for the first time the next before encountering a seemingly kind old couple and having to clean the world's dirtiest bathroom while being sworn at by a parrot. Plenty to keep a younger reader interested,
Rebecca
Jun 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
I can imagine this being very funny for children as the author breaks the fourth wall a lot to address the reader directly, plus the storyline is very appealing to the age group it is aimed at. I thought the message it was aiming to get across to children was also pretty well done.
Discoverylover
MissMarkey gave me this to read while I'm at her place as the author is one of the authors doing a talk at the Oxford convention. I thoroughly enjoyed the book, and it reminded me a bit of 'The Twits'!
Rachael
Jun 25, 2012 rated it liked it
2.5. Not sure I can call it a lovely book... as it's full of horrible things! But it was definitely an interesting adventure, definitely pro-libraries (thank you Mr Harrold!) Makes me want to read the Enid Blyton circus stories now. :)
Victoria
Sep 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This was a pleasure to read! The perfect story for children aged 5-8 with everything they love best - adventure, friendship, humour and all things smelly.
Heidi
Oct 22, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: spike
Recommended by Slightly Foxed.
Bobbi Bullard
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a young adult book so don't expect anything deep. This book is just fun and I recommend it for when you're looking for something light.
Zoe
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lovely ode to libraries wrapped up in a bonkers tale full of circus acts, Twits-like characters and brave boys. Plus one very knowing authorial voice. I think this would be a great read-aloud.
Novia Indaryani
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
The story is funny, fantastic and ridiculous. Fizz, the boy who live in Circus had a great advanture when he's joined the library. I do love this book.
Christi
May 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Incredibly funny Very entertaining
Whizzy
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
My little brother read and said he enjoyed because it was a page turner. I would recommend it
Zoran
Hannah
Apr 17, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• In the Night Wood
  • Can I Build Another Me?
  • Jackie Kabler Book 2
  • Fantastically Great Women Who Changed the World
  • Athena and the Olive Tree (Orchard Myths)
  • The Adventures of Odysseus
  • The Pied Piper of Hamelin
  • Judy Moody Was in a Mood: #1
  • The Lost Causes of Bleak Creek
  • Future of the Time Dragon: A Branches Book (Dragon Masters #15)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Double Mystery #1: Featured mysteries from Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective
  • Time Warp (Geronimo Stilton Journey Through Time #7)
  • The Accidental Prime Minister
  • Encyclopedia Brown Gets His Man (Encyclopedia Brown, #4)
  • The Beast of Buckingham Palace
  • The Strawberry Thief (Chocolat, #4)
  • Dinosaurs and All That Rubbish
  • The Fox and the Ghost King
A.F. Harrold is an English poet. He writes and performs for adults and children, in cabaret and in schools, in bars and in basements, in fields and indoors. He was Glastonbury Festival Website's Poet-In-Residence in 2008, and Poet-In-Residence at Cheltenham Literature Festival in 2010. He won the Cheltenham All Stars Slam Championship in 2007 and has had his work on BBC Radio 4, Radio 3 and BBC7. ...more

Fizzlebert Stump (6 books)
  • Fizzlebert Stump and the Bearded Boy