Start by marking “The Dressage Chronicles (The Dressage Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dressage Chronicles (The Dressage Chronicles, #1)

The Dressage Chronicles

(The Dressage Chronicles #1)

You know what happens to all those girls who are just crazy about horses?
Once they discover boys, the horses are history.
Or maybe not.
For Lizzy, and others like her, no boy, no man who knows what’s good for him, speaks the unspeakable.
“It’s me or the horse.”
It’s no contest.
And so Lizzy snips the threads that hold her, however tenuously, to a conventional life, and begins h
Published July 5th 2011 by Deeds Publishing (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Dressage Chronicles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dressage Chronicles

Start your review of The Dressage Chronicles (The Dressage Chronicles, #1)
Brittney
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
LOVED!!...Karen McGoldrick captures the "behind-the-scenes" stories of the horse show world in The Dressage Chronicles. From the first page I was wrapped up in the storyline and the characters and my interest never faded through 405 pages! This is essentially a wonderfully juicy soap opera for the horse-crazy reader! And, the descriptions of the horses, riding, and equine behavior is exactly on-spot...I even learned some new things about dressage! Kudos to McGoldrick!

I cannot wait to download th
Stephanie
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Stylistically not quite my bag, and I had been dreading another horse book that ended up being a telenovela-style Barn Drama, but this book managed to surprise me with its nuanced, positive portrayal of the rigors of the sport / lifestyle and the relationships between riders, trainers and barn owners - and of course the horses. McGoldrick doesn't stoop to the level of anthropomorphizing the animals in this book because she doesn't have to. She knows and has worked with actual horses, and it show ...more
Tammy
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally a book truly focused on the world of dressage, written by somebody who truly knows what she is talking about. Loved this glimpse into the world of elite dressage. I was sad that it ended and found myself wanting it to go on and on. This book could have been 4x's longer and I probably still would have wanted more.
Kathi Defranc
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great, real story of life at a dressage barn

Loved this story,told in a realistic way, of a life making a living with horses. I have taught riding and trained thoroughbred race horses, and feel this is a wonderful glimpse into such a life. Great characters, from people to animals,described in such a way to become your friends. Recommend this to all horse loving people, you will not be disappointed.
Ingrid
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Other the bland title, this book was satisfying like a dish of delectable ice cream on a hot summer day. It tells the tale of a young woman who applies and gets accepted to be a working student for a Grand Prix rider. She hauls her young mare to FL for the winter show season there. Full of complex characters, stunning dressage horses, and lots of dressage training details, it chronicles her path from 1st level to Grand Prix in a couple months as she rides a schoolmaster and rises to the challeng ...more
Jennifer L.
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horse-fiction
The Dressage Chronicles was another entertaining adult horse book. It really made me wish I was still young enough to try the hard world of being a working student. This book attested to the fact that a working student has very long days and hard work, but has the opportunity to reap the rewards of training under a top level instructor. And let's not forget the horses you would be able to learn on! This book covered all of that in a great story with interesting characters. I honestly wouldn't mi ...more
Irene
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Searching for books to download on to my kindle I found the Dressage Chronicles. As a rider who loves dressage it seemed the perfect book for me to curl up and read. Its the story about Lizzy who gives up everything to follow her dream and ride at the top level. She loads her horse Winsome and heads south to Florida to become a working student to Margot.

I couldn't put the book down once I started reading it. I was just as interested in the story and its progression as well as with the surroundi
Denise
Nov 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For anyone who loves horses & the art of Dresssge this is a well written, inspiring read. I love how Karen captures the beauty of of the art of Dressage, and the athletes that participate- both human and horse. I found myself living my dreams through Lizzy's passion, her accomplishments and hardships. ...more
Rachel
Dec 14, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked that this book had accurate Dressage references. It is relatable for a working student. I was very disappointed in the ending, however, and felt that there were many loose ends in the plot that were never tied up.
Sharon
Mar 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book but gave it only 3 stars. The characters are so shallow but they get you through the book. There was so much repetetition in this book that it exhausted me. I learned much about dressage. This is a good read for any horse lover.
Liz
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait for the second book!
A.J. Attard
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A charming, entertaining read! It was chronicled, with exacting and hilarious detail, life as a working student in a dressage barn! I loved every minute and have read it twice already! :)
Kelsey
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I learned so much about horse care, dressage and how to be a working student. I own a horse and I learned quite a bit! :)
Briauna Simpson
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"The Dressage Chronicles" a novel by Karen McGoldrick, is a fascinating, wonderful, creative way to look into the world of horses and the sport of dressage. Lizzy, the main character, goes through many adventures that keeps readers entertained while learning about the bits and pieces that are vital to riding dressage. I recommend this book to girls and guys who love horses and who are interested in dessage and other horse sports.
A.J.
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Most realistic horse novel I've ever read ... love it! Yes, there are some things that are not likely to happen, but the background and training is very "true to life" as are the issues and feelings of the riders. I wasn't surprised to learn that the author is a rider / trainer / exhibitor of upper level dressage horses! Would love to read more like this series!
Jessie
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this first book in The Dressage Chronicles! Margot is so great, the absolute definition of the kind of horse ladies I've known in my life. Lizzy's development was realistic, relatable, and inspiring, I cannot wait to read the rest of this series. Officially one of my favorite books ever.
Kim
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put it down

If you ride, you will relate to the barn drama, distinct horse personalities, the amount of work that goes into life as a competitive rider and the love one feels for these amazing animals.
Sharon
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly, a great story

You read a chapter or two and before long you find yourself immersed in the lives of these people, caring about them, loving their rides, feeling the heartbreak....
Canterpoint
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was the first horse book I've read since I was a kid and really enjoyed it. Great character development and loved the behind the scenes look into the world of dressage riding. Looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Joanne
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put the book down! Finally a well written Dressage novel. Very well done and can't wait to start reading the next one.
Liz
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved the riding descriptions and the story was spot on, I don't like reading inaccurate horse books. This was fantastic!
Chantelle Noble
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well written and lovely story line. I’ve read all 4 and loved them. It’s a good story for horse lovers and those are not. Please enjoy!!
Kim
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great for the horse lover

Whether you’re a rider or not; if you love horses and the discipline of dressage, you’ll be entranced. You feel truly apart of it all
Natalie Davidson
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Easy read, very relate-able as I too was a working student in my early horsey days!
Dana Probert
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite horse fiction series. Always a bit of mystery and some light romance, but it’s mostly about the horses and the riding. I️ always learn a ton about dressage and horsemanship.
Haley Cunningham
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Really enjoyed this book. It's refreshing to read a book by an actual rider/judge. The book is realistic and I love the fact that's it's based in Wellington/WEF.
Amanda
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some books reel you in and don't let you go until they're finished. This was one of them. Thoroughly enjoyable. I wish the characters were a bit more developed, but this was a solid start for a series. I'm already starting book two.
Jewel_louise
Sep 15, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars for me. I loved the fact that this equestrian story wasn't one of the over used very cliche circulated story plots that a lot of equestrian books seem to come with. As a mature reader I appreciated the fact that the narrator was an adult and I enjoyed her character's development. With that being said, I had a bit of a hard time connecting with the characters. I believed that it was probably due to the lack of physical description and back stories. Yes we knew a good bit of the women we ...more
Velvet Rider
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horse-fiction
The Dressage Chronicles really made me wish I was still young enough to try the hard world of being a working student. This book attested to the fact that a working student has very long days and hard work, but has the opportunity to reap the rewards of training under a top level instructor. And let’s not forget the horses you would be able to learn on! This book covered all of that in a great story with interesting characters. This book follows the main character, Lizzy, as she begins her new l ...more
Madeline
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horse-books
While the characters fell a little flat (especially the main character), I was pleasantly surprised to find that the author has actual horse experience as opposed to writing from the perspective of wanting to be a horse person (sorry that was really snooty, but I'm very critical of horse books!) The book was meant to entertain and I was definitely entertained. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.

• Ambition (Eventing, #1)
  • Luck (The Eventing Series Book 4)
  • Show Barn Blues
  • Courage (Eventing, #3)
  • Pride (Eventing, #2)
  • Defining Gravity (Defining Gravity Series Book 1)
  • Dance from the Heart (Dancing with Horses, #3)
  • The Head and Not The Heart (Alex and Alexander #1)
  • Other People's Horses (Alex and Alexander #2)
  • Lap of Honour (Loxwood, #5)
  • Cold Backed (Show Jumping Dreams, #36)
  • Horses in Wonderland (Show Barn Blues Book 2)
  • Green Broke (Show Jumping Dreams, #38)
  • Secret Rider (Show Jumping Dreams, #1)
  • Claiming Christmas (Alex and Alexander #3)
  • Objects in Mirror (Stonegate, #1)
  • Riding Above Air: Book Four in the Defining Gravity Series
  • Irish Summer (Show Jumping Dreams #44)

The Dressage Chronicles (3 books)
  • A Matter of Feel (The Dressage Chronicles, #2)
  • The Right Girl for the Job (The Dressage Chronicles, #3)

News & Interviews