Start by marking “Sixty Odd” as Want to Read:
Sixty Odd

Sixty Odd (Poetry #8)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  87 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
     Here is the first new book of poems in more than a decade from the author so well known for her thought-provoking science fiction novels. It is also the most autobiographical of Ursula K. Le Guin's five poetry collections, taking its inspiration from the wisdom and perspective that a woman attains in her sixties. Here she is at turns wry, playful, and sharply critical ...more
Published April 27th 1999 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about Sixty Odd, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sixty Odd

Shawn Birss
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book at the perfect time, and with excellent accompaniment. I had just finished my favourite (with The Dispossessed) of Le Guin's novels, Tehanu. My mind was primed to hear her voice. I was reading a book of short stories along with this book of poetry. Clarice Lispector is another strong, female writer. Her book was a collection of vignettes about childhood, this one a collection of poetry concerning old age. Finally, I also read a terrible adaptation of ancient Taoist texts arbitra ...more
Edward Rathke
This collection is great, even if you only read Lost Arrows and the Feather People, which, I think, is better than the rest combined.

This is my third Le Guin poetry collection and I really think she's one of my favorite poets, as well as one of my favorite prose writers, which puts her in a unique camp shared by no one. Few of my favorite short story writers are my favorite poets or novelists and so on. I've yet to read many Le Guin short stories, but I plan on reading a few collections next yea
Robin Helweg-Larsen
Nov 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People interested in the author's life.
Shelves: poetry
The more I read of this book, the more I enjoyed it. It is a book that is more of meditations and reflections than poetry because, although much of it is interesting, so little of it is 'word-for-word memorable' - my preferred definition of poetry.

I found the first half of the book relatively uninteresting in both subject matter and expression, although it has some striking simple verse hidden in it. Here is "In Berkeley":
"This is the city of my birth.
This is my own uneasy earth.
Nikki
Aug 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I love Le Guin's prose so much. I didn't like her poetry quite as much, probably because I prefer to read her in chunks a bit bigger than bitesize, but her imagery and use of words is lovely no matter what. Some of the poems really got to me, too: a couple of them made me want to cry.
Kath
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
It's Ursula K. LeGuin. And I loved it.
Johanna Haas
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
LeGuin's poems are big, even when they are short. Each is a short story, or maybe even a novella - the kind of poem you read and then sit around for a while trying to finish the story.
Brendan
Apr 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: lady-poets
A few impressive pieces, but not enough to bump it to a 4.
Bonny
Aug 26, 2011 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
Patricia
Jan 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012, poetry
Poems, she means. But I think the title is a play on age too. Some good ones, some of which will be appearing soon on my poetry post.
Marjorie Jensen
A few of my favorites from this collection: "For Gabriela Mistral," "Hexagram 49," "A Traveler at a Lake in New England," "Entanglements," "Repulse Monkey," and "College."
GraceAnne
Nov 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous, spare, searing poems of memory, loss, and perfect moments. You might have to be in your sixties to really appreciate these poems, but they spoke to me deeply.
Caitlyn
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Most of the book is a 3, but the poems about family and friendships in the last part of the book push it to a 4.
Kristen Walker
Apr 15, 2017
Esther
Apr 03, 2014
Jason Huff
rated it did not like it
Aug 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Ursula K. Le Guin published twenty-two novels, eleven volumes of short stories, four collections of essays, twelve books for children, six volumes of poetry and four of translation, and has received many awards: Hugo, Nebula, National Book Award, PEN-Malamud, etc. Her recent publications include the novel Lavinia, an essay collection, Cheek by Jowl, and The Wild Girls. She lived in Portland, Orego ...more
More about Ursula K. Le Guin