Start by marking “Till the Old Men Die (Jeri Howard Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Till the Old Men Die (Jeri Howard Mystery, #2)

Till the Old Men Die

(Jeri Howard Mystery #2)

Feisty female sleuth Jeri Howard comes back after Kindred Crimes (named Best First Private Eye Novel by the Private Eye Writers of America) to solve a domestic death and an international incident. Jeri has her hands full when she investigates the death of one of her dad's friends in the Philippines.
Published May 20th 2011 by Janet Dawson (first published February 22nd 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Till the Old Men Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Till the Old Men Die

Start your review of Till the Old Men Die (Jeri Howard Mystery, #2)
Ginny
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It's the Jeri Howard mystery I read first, and it got me started on them.

Jeri's father Tim Howard is a history professor at California State University at Hayward; one of his colleagues was murdered, and he found the body. He's still having nightmares months later. The colleague was Filipino, and his estate had been settled when a strange Filipino woman comes into the office claiming to be his widow. Nobody believes her, and Jeri takes the case, planning to prove her wrong. T
C.J.
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you devour mysteries, this is a good one, especially if you're familiar with the San Francisco Bay area. The plot is intriguing & the writing is capable. I particularly enjoyed following sleuth Jeri Howard into the local Philippine community. If I were reading this book on an airplane I'd have finished it. As it was, squeezing it in between other priorities, I set it aside (repeatedly), first because my sense of geography isn't strong enough for me to care what roads Howard takes to get to wh ...more
Philip A. Guercio
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Corruption, greed, politics, and murder

Story had all the elements that make for a good mystery. The basic story holds many pieces from the genre, however, how many new ways can you tell and old story? The characters are fairly developed and the author had many opportunities to add more hut did not take advantage. In the end it was an entertaining read that held my interest to the finale.
Judith  Wong
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it
An ages old cover up which followed a corrupt businessman across the Pacific

Taut, spellbinding story about one man trying to let the world know of his countryman's war crimes committed against his own people. When he is murdered, Jeri Howard, a PI, is hired by her father's university to solve the questions surrounding his death. Although Jeri is successful, it won't change man's treatment of one to another.
Marilyn E. Hay
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. The protagonist, Jeri Howard, is an interesting, engagin character and all the other characters are also very well crafted, feeling real. The mystery was well crafted, with any number of twists and turns, an introduction to the history and culture of the Philippines, and enough suspense to want to keep turning the pages. This was my first entry into this series and I look forward to reading more of the books (of which, I understand, there are quite a few).
Marion Ziegler
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jeri kept the story going and proved that blood is thicker than water. Even thou the daughter could not prove it. It was an interesting look into the war in the Philippines and how the locals were divided about the Japanese but still continued to hold power.

Jeri was able to prove that blood was thicker than water. Even thou the daughter could not prove it. Interesting look into the war in the Phillipiness.
june
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read

This was a really good book. I almost didn’t finish it, but I am glad I did. It was well written and I read it in 24 hours. Though someone does need to do a little proof reading as there were a few spelling mistakes. On the whole one of the best books I have read in a while. Thanks June
Kasia Szpakowska
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love the San Francisco background

The author clearly knows San Francisco, but it seemed a bit dated. Once I realized it was written in 1993, it made sense. I liked the fast moving plot, and I leaned a great deal about Manila. I needed a cast of characters though as I kept losing track of who was who. I would read more of her work.
Jenna Golik
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting story about WW2 and the Phillipines. This story has several murders plus much history. From the

Pacific theatre. I like how the past impacts the present in this book. Nice light romance.. She tells you about people's pasts which are part of the story. Interesting book
DiannaMoylan
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Worth reading

The story line runs well a d seems to be well-researched. Sometimes descriptions of places are a little overcome when they are irrelevant to the story. In the Kindle version there are several errors of transcription that are intrusive. I shall try to read more by this author.
Debra H. Wruble
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Political intrigue

Very interesting story spanning history of a family from a grandfather when he was a young man at war in Manila and his children and grandchildren and friends of the family who help unravel the mysterious deaths surrounding them
Anne Turnley
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
International intrigue

Jeri is a PI with an interesting case. Check out a woman claiming to be the wife of a recent murder victim. Since her father found his friend dead, she also has a personal interest.
Jill D Coffin
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Historical Suspense

Likeable protagonist, interesting characters and lots of plot twists and surprises. Highly recommended for those who like a good story, somewhere between bloody hard boiled and cozy mysteries.
Melissa
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Female PI, but not hardboiled.

I liked how the mystery unfolded, clue by clue. I also liked that the female PI, while independent, was not hardboiled or too cynical, and there was a surprising but welcome lack of profanity.
Carlotta
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Finally a great book

Didn't want to put it down I will definitely read more by this Author. Jeri reminds me of Kinsey Millhone.
karen wendt
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun PI mystery. Lots of info about Filipino culture and relationships
Linda Miller
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty good plot, a few too many characters and too much description of places. I almost decided to quit reading it and went back to it after starting another book.
Jack
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it
San Francisco PI story about the Philippino community.
Mary Hoyer
May 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Pretty boring

Slow build to the plot. Mundane descriptions. Too much information on her day to day life and not enough on investigation of the mystery
Gaye Lemm
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another good read

I decided to read this book after reading her first book. Janet is a fine writer. She really researched for it. I admire that.
Lorrie A Yeschick
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good writing

I enjoy this writer, developed plots and good characters. Grammar is good, unlike some of the kindle books I have downloaded. I will read more by this author.
Adrion Kusant
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable

Well researched. Street and road names didn't have much meaning for someone not familiar with the area. I will likely read another Jeri Howard.
Sandra Sousa
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Almost predictable.

Good start. Nice info on the history of the Philippine government. Towards end i could just about map out the scenes for the ending. Still a good read.
Ann Patterson
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Till The Old Men Die

Jeri, the P.I., again mixes a case with a little romance against the background of Filipino history. if you enjoy WWII history, this one is for you
James H Brandenburg
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great read

Great book. I loved reading about a female OK and how it takes p!ace in the Bay Area where I have lived.
Monaco
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interessanter Hintergrund: die Philipinen, über die mir bisher noch nie etwas über den Weg gelaufen war.
Christy Kelly
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the story of a young PI named Jeri and she gets involved in this murder because her father finds the body. The story explores the Filipino-American community and how it relates to those around it. The old men refer to those involved in Worlld War Two.
LJ
TILL THE OLD MEN DIE - VG
Dunlap, Susan - 2nd in series

When Dr. Lito Manibusan, a Filipino professor of history at Cal State, is murdered, Jeri Howard's father, a colleague of the victim, hires her to find the man's next of kind and learn the truth behind his death. Jeri learns a lot, especially about old friends and political feuds, and finds herself following the twisted trail of clues that led to the man's murder....

It was a little light for me, but not a bad read and run that it's set in the
LJ
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
I struggled to get through this book - it seemed to go over the same stuff and was tedious. Not sure what the problem was; I enjoyed another Jeri Howard book I had read.
Lila
Apr 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, kindle, series
It was a decent book but there were too many details in some areas. I still enjoyed the book, though I enjoyed the first book, Kindred Crimes, much more.

• A Mersey Mariner (Mersey Murder Mysteries, #4)
  • Summer Storm (Seasons Pass Book 3)
  • Brushed Away (Benny James Mystery #3)
  • Chicago Broken (Detective Shannon Rourke, #2)
  • Murder On Magazine (Skip Langdon #10)
  • Sanctuary (Kate Redman Mysteries, #8)
  • Girls In White Dresses (Detective London McKenna #1)
  • Severed Relations (Finn O'Brien Thriller Series, #1)
  • ON Fire (Redemption Thriller #17; Ozzie Novak Thriller #5)
  • Certain Justice (Marc Kadella Legal Mystery #4)
  • Autumn Secrets (Seasons Pass, Book 4)
  • Too Clever By Half (A Davies & West Mystery, #2)
  • Frozen Statues (Perdition Games)
  • A Buried Past (Jacqueline Frye #1)
  • Blood Ties (The Magnolia Series #1)
  • Twisted Vine (Lei Crime, #5)
  • Deathly Reminders
  • The Hunt For The Dingo (James & Sandersen Files, #1)
Janet Dawson has written nine novels featuring Oakland private investigator Jeri Howard. Her first, Kindred Crimes, won the St. Martin's Press/Private Eye Writers of America contest for best first private eye novel. It was nominated in the best first category for three mystery awards, the Shamus, the Macavity and the Anthony.

In the past, Dawson was a newspaper reporter in Colorado, and her stint a

Jeri Howard Mystery (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Kindred Crimes (Jeri Howard Mystery, #1)
  • Take a Number (Jeri Howard Mystery, #3)
  • Don't Turn Your Back On The Ocean (Jeri Howard #4)
  • Nobody's Child (Jeri Howard Mystery #5)
  • A Credible Threat
  • Witness To Evil (Jeri Howard #7)
  • Where The Bodies Are Buried (The Jeri Howard Series Book 8)
  • A Killing At The Track (Jeri Howard #9)
  • Bit Player