Start by marking “Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8, Volume 2” as Want to Read:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8, Volume 2

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8, Volume 2 (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8, Library Editions #2)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  1,291 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
The Slayer legion is organized and encountering mega-obstacles, while Twilight’s threatening reach continues to expand. Buffy and her Slayers travel to Tokyo to face a new kind of vampire with powers they’ve only witnessed in Dracula . . . Then, Willow and Buffy head to New York to investigate the secrets behind Buffy’s scythe; ever full of the unexpected, Buffy is transpo ...more
Hardcover, Library Edition, 320 pages
Published September 12th 2012 by Dark Horse Comics

To ask other readers questions about Buffy the Vampire Slayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Ivy
Kelsey
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
John Lee
Aug 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: english
Still really neat. Definitely in the spirit of the TV show, and very worth reading. The characterizations are pretty realistic, and the plotlines are huge and expansive. The art is definitely the most impressive thing about this series; the backgrounds and characters are all fantastically drawn, and the cover art is terrific. I especially liked the cartoon issue in this one. The series hasn't gotten too dark yet, which explains the rating, but I have high hopes. I'm really glad this series is li ...more
Karen
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buffy-comics
I haven't read the library edition version-I ordered all of the comics separately and read them, but I am sure that this book that compiles the whole season is amazing. As a true Buffy fan, you can't miss what happens after season 7 ends (where the television series stops.) I may not have loved every decision that Joss and the crew made during this very experimental season of Buffy, but I truly was intrigued and captivated by the many twists and turns, and I had to find out what would happen nex ...more
Michael
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, 2017
I just love the many ways the comics are progressing the characters and furthering the story, and I'm certainly interested in the rest of this season, and the ones to come.
Alex
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I am kind of torn between 3 or 4 stars for this collection. It's hard to rate things like this, because it's made up of several individual pieces, but even put together they are still only a part of the whole of Season 8. But there are 5 star occurrences here (the high school flashback) and there are some only-just 3 star stories (the initial time travel issue...)

After a fairly promising start to Season 8, I think it begins to lose its footing just a little bit here. There are some redeeming poi
Gretchen Alice
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Buffy forever. The contents of this volume are particularly enticing as Buffy and her new crew of slayers take on Tokyo. Also, it is insane that you can buy this huge, full-color beautifully bound volume of comics for under $30.
Lise Petrauskas
Jun 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comix
Eh. The first volume of Season 8 was really enjoyable, but unfortunately I thought the rest of the series was wacky, and not in a good way. I prefer Georges Jaunty's pencils over Karl Moline in this volume.
Svein
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
How good are these comics?!? They even managed to make Dracula into a really cool character and I hated him in the series. Can't wait for my local comicshop to get the third volum of this season!

Am I a Buffy fanboy?? Yes I am!
John
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I appreciated the animation style change for one of the arcs. It was a cool look into how maybe it would have looked had it been an animated cartoon.
Rachel Dalton
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Really enjoyed the second volume of Buffy S8! It kind of went off in different directions before bringing us back to the main plot line, but I guess that's what you get when you switch a tv show into comic form.

It hasn't gotten very dark yet, which is nice in some ways, but I am looking forward to seeing what betrayals will ensue and how they will impact our characters (because you can tell they are coming).

I love that they are having writers from the show write the scripts, because it really r
Indigo Crayon
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I finished everything except the little notes at the end (which i'm savin for tomorrow), so I'm counting this as finishing.. since I did finish all the story in volume 2. I really liked this. I think in some ways I liked volume 1 more, but that might just be because Faith's story was in it, idk! I liked almost all of what happened in this volume and almost all of the art. And again, I thought the voices of the characters were very consistent. below will have some spoilers
(view spoiler)
Alice
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I didn't enjoy this one as much overall. I bumped up to 4 stars because I did love the Tokyo vampire story... Mainly due to Dracula! I love what the show did with Dracula and the continuation of his relationship with Xander.

I did not like the other arc that had Buffy transported to a future dystopia. I always hate that story anyway, and yeah it was pointless in the end since she obviously got back home. Duh.

The Twilight thing still rumbles on in the background, and still no idea what's gong on
Sasha
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved Buffy. The comic book continuation does not disappoint. The show translates to comic book pages beautifully - the characters continue to speak in their trademark Buffy language, there are new characters that fit into the Buffyverse seamlessly, Andrew Wells has a bigger role (!!!). One of my favorite things about Buffy - it's inclusion of queer characters and having storylines about things OTHER than their sexuality continues to prevail.

The one thing I didn't like about this volume was

Danica J
Aug 02, 2015 rated it liked it
2.5 • in a nutshell, season 8 was a clusterfuck. The story went all over the place and the artwork, though mostly gorgeous, could be confusing. At many points I could not tell who was who (Andrew? Riley? Oz?) I get that Whedon & Co were happy to explore storylines and locations they would otherwise be unable to do on the show due to budget restraints but waaaay too much changed in the Buffyverse from the end of S07 to the start of the comics. I am glad all of this was acknowledged in the aft ...more
Artemy
Nov 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Halfway through, and I am not really enjoying season eight so far. The story has a strong feeling of WTF-ness to it, I am really not sure what is going on and what is the main agenda even, the characters feel all over the place and not really themselves, and the storytelling so far is very poor and disjointed, leaving me lost and dissatisfied more than anything. I also get more and more annoyed with the artwork, all the characters look lifeless and motionless and kind of wrong.
That being said, I
John Wright
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
The bad movie that spun a campy tv show that became a cult classic for its wit, creativity, and emotional grit has morphed again into a beautifully illustrated comic books series by the original writers. This transition is a welcome one. In this volume (buy the library editions. They are more than worth your money) highlights include a crossover with the graphic novel Frey as well as a Willow spinoff. Buffy is one of those rare relics of pop culture that transcends its genre to become modern myt ...more
Dustin Fickle
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I absolutely loved this volume! It included the return of Dracula, a future Slayer, and a comic based on the cartoon pilot video. It also featured Buffy having lesbian encounter! I loved everyone's reactions to said encounter. I also loved the relationship between Xander and Dracula. (view spoiler) I was happy to see an issue that expanded u ...more
Beth
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was so strange but still awesome. I love how the characters are so like the series and the wittiness and humour is still there. It is strange because of the Buffy and Willow alternative worlds when they are flying (especially the Christian Bale scene) and you don't always follow what is going on. I loved the Faith/Buffy fight and that Giles is trusting Faith and working with her. I really want to read the rest of the series as I am enjoying it a lot!
pianogal
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Yeah - I finally caught up with all those Buffy comics I bought years ago and never read. It was so nice of Joss to publish these in 2 volumes. I'm thinking of selling my comics and using the money to buy these bound volumes instead. The storylines here were a little jumpy, but some of the artwork was AMAZING.

SPOILER ALERT:

I don't like the Buffy/Willow outcome, but it wouldn't be Joss without some kind of bodycount (sorry Renee).
Stewart Tame
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
It feels strange to be reading this rather than watching it. That said, all your favorite characters are here. The dialogue retains that certain Buffy flavor. Quite a lot of this would have been unachievable on a TV budget anyway. Not sure why I should take these storylines any more seriously than the average Buffy GN simply because they're labeled "Season 8" but it's certainly enjoyable stuff.
Kate M. Colby
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Packed with action, vivid artwork, and the snappy dialog Buffy fans love. Overall, I am really enjoying the Twilight mystery as it is unfolding, and the side adventures along the way have been fun and even contained a few intriguing twists. The only reason this doesn't get five stars from me is that I feel a few of the characters acted in ways that rang untrue and pulled me out of the world. Still, I really enjoyed this arc of the story and can't wait to read more!
Erin
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I gave this four stars for a few reasons; good reasons being that the dialogue is so very Whedon, and the artwork is amazing. However, I found it difficult to see where Whedon was taking the Buffy characters;I was shocked and not entirely pleased with some of the new turns taken, especially by Buffy. I won't spoil anything for future readers, and it is worth the time if you loved the show. Just beware the bizarre.
Chloe
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*contains SPOILERS* I really loved this one. I was going to give it a 4 but there's an amazing comic style section where they go back to sunnydale via a dream Buffy has where she's back in school with the Scooby gang and Cordelia, Giles, angel, Joyce, even Snyder are all back. It made me very happy! As for the regular storylines there's a whole gigantic dawn/Godzilla Japan moment that's rather excellent and lots of great fight scenes. Love!
Marc Leroux
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of Joss Whedon, and although I came to Buffy late, it seemed a natural extension to read the graphic Season 8. I wasn't disappointed. The story was good, and it certainly allows a lot more creativity than the small screen permits. The artwork ranges from good to fantastic. The format of the library editions really showcases the art. I'd like to see other graphic novels try this format.
D.
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Volume 2 continues the adventures of Buffy and her "Scoobies." The mysteries deepen, characters continue to grow and change, and Whedon once again teaches us to never get attached to characters. Oh, come on, that's not a spoiler. It's Joss Whedon!

Fans of Buffy will really enjoy this. The art is strong, the dialogue is consistent with the characters, and the storyline is engaging. Great escapist fun.
Michelle
I really prefer the artwork done by Georges Jeanty over that of Karl Moline. The faces are so much better, for one thing. I don't know why it was necessary for Buffy to have a homosexual experience, why not make it Xander? Or would male homosexuality be too off-putting. Yes, I'm being snarky, but also serious.
Paul
This was amazing. The library editions of Buffy are some of my favorite graphic novels. The larger size really brings to life the art and story. The issue break art is always super special. Such talented artists and writers work on this and I love it. It wasn't perfect and I want more of an overall arc but the Wolves at the Gate issues were amazing.
Ryan Joy
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shahna
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Finally made it through part two. I've put it off for so long. I don't know why.

I love these comics so much. I don't know how many times I can keep writing that I love this story. But I love this story. Buffy is the best. It's still full of jokes and silliness but has the adult themes and the threat of war. It's a good balance.

I can't wait to pick up part three.
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Guarded (Season 9, #3)
  • Spike: The Complete Series
  • Angel & Faith: Live Through This (Angel & Faith, #1)
  • Angel & Faith: Where the River Meets the Sea (Season 10, #1)
Joss Whedon (born Joseph Hill Whedon) is an American screenwriter, executive producer, film and television director, comic book writer, occasional composer, and actor, and the founder of Mutant Enemy Productions and co-creator of Bellwether Pictures.

He is best known as the creator and showrunner of the television series 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997–2003)', 'Angel (1999–2004)', 'Firefly (2002)'
More about Joss Whedon...

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8, Library Editions (4 books)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8, Volume 1