Start by marking “Isolation (Partials Sequence, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Isolation (Partials Sequence, #0.5)

Isolation

(Partials Sequence 0.5)

Two decades before the events of Partials, the world was locked in a different battle for survival: a global war for the last remaining oil reserves on the planet. It was for the Isolation War that the American government contracted the ParaGen Corporation to manufacture the Partials—our last hope in reclaiming energy independence from China. And it was on these fields of

Published August 28th 2012 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Isolation, please sign up.
Andrea Yes, you can read it any time after "Partials". The whole thing takes place before the Break, so there's not any spoilers in it.

Start your review of Isolation (Partials Sequence, #0.5)
Devyani
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
We are at war," said the voice," a war we must win at all costs ; you know that-"
"What I want you to do," said Heron softly , " is to think long and hard about this. You made us to kill and conquer, and we are doing it better than you ever anticipated. Far better than you could ever do yourselves. You are no match for us. Do not make us your enemy." She stared into the darkness and a wicked smile crept into the corners of her lips , "Confirm?"

Whatta badass babe.

Oh hell . I want Fragments So
Hannah
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
MORE? MORE! @ P.S. I love that book!

I have read Partials and I really really loved it so when I saw that there was a novella to this series too I was very eager to read it.

THE WORLD: This novella is actually a prequel so it is still based in the normal world before the Partial War. In other words, America is at war with China and therefore created partials to win the war. Mainly here we get to follow our main character in China as well as in her partial training facility.

CHARACTERS: Heron is the
Brandon Saint
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Interesting enough to want to read the sequel.
Ophelia Mercy
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very few books pull a five star review from me, you have to really give me something good. Dan Wells Partials did just that for me, I liked the characters a great deal. The plot was done pretty nicely if a little bit confusing because we don't get to know the villians other than a few fights and a supporting characters. Isolation gives readers that. I have made a list of pros and cons to really give you an idea as to what I'm talking about.

Pros+
+ Heron knows what she is, the second strongest
Denisse
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
ISOLATION, is not just a short story, like the ones very common now a days, it actually describes you the background story of the Partials, and it is WONDERFULL. Heron is a spy Partial who discovers what humans are planning to do with them. This story makes you realize how heartless humans can be and how weak they become when wanting to conquer something. Human ambition is too complex to describe, even more when you're writing for YA people, but Dan Wells, as always, does a very good job.

☕️Kimberly
I bought this because I totally loved Partials and think Dan Wells rocks! Isolation by Dan Wells offers us a unique look back at the Isolation Wars that created the dystopian world we learned about in Partials. This was truly fascinating and explains why the Partials rebelled.

The tale goes back and forth detailing the life of one partial over a four year period. We meet Heron while she is being created, trained and eventually set up as a spy for the United States Government. Wells explains how
Katerina Kondrenko
8 out of 10

ревью на русском/review in russian

This book gave me the answers to all my whats and whys I had after reading "Partials".

And now I know for what were women among the bio-soldiers, why robots are so conscious and human-like. Now is clear why people and not-people had started to fight, what the Isolation War is, and what happened with world we used to live in.

Do you know who helped me with that? Heron. I never thought I would love to spend around 70 pages with her only, but here I
Josh
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Partials Sequence is a post-apocalyptic setting in the latter half of the 21st-century . Humanity has been driven to near-extension by the Partials -- bio-mechanical super soldiers. The Partials were created as specialized (and disposable) "weapons" in the global conflicts over natural resources.

This short story is set prior to the events in the novels, during the "Isolation War" -- a war between China and the NADI (North American Defense Initiative). It follows Heron, a partial Theta (or
Dawn
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Isolation" was amazing. Dan Wells is an incredibly descriptive writer without being overly so. The pictures he creates in your mind help pull you into not just the story, but the world of the story.

"Isolation" is a short prequel to "Partials." In "Partials" we vaguely heard about the Isolation War--a war the Partials (essentially genetically manufactured bodies) won for the humans. In "Isolation," we learn the details of that war, how the Partials won it and what consequences the win had that
Jen Blackham
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm really not one for this new "novella" trend. I don't really watch the extras/deleted scenes on DVDs, figuring if it was really important, it would have been included in the "real" book/show. For the most part, I come away from them unsatisfied, especially if I have put off reading the next book because I felt I had to read the novella chronologically.

This novella (as many end up doing) comes before book 1 even begins. There is no one from book one in this, so it's really its own short story.
Adriana Espada leyton
2.75
i read this book, looking for answers... i found it very short, it gave me some answers, but i wanted more, i guess i am ready to read ruins, the last book of this trilogy
Lilian
Dec 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Isolation is a prequel novella in Dan Well's Partials series. Although it is technically a prequel and can be read alone, I still recommend reading it after the first book, Partials, because there is a bit of jargon, but more importantly, it's clearly a supplement to the series and it's just not very strong story by itself. The story is from the point of view of Heron, an assassin Partial created to infiltrate Chinese headquarters.

I admit I might be a bit biased since this novella is set in
Eric Allen
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Isolation
By Dan Wells

A Review by Eric Allen

A few months after he released Partials, which I loved, and a few months before he released Fragments which I loved even more, Dan Wells released an E-book novella called Isolation. This is a brief sequence giving the back story for the character Heron, who played a major role in the second book. This book is almost too short to even really call a novella. It's more like a short story, or, more likely, a deleted sequence from Fragments that just
Ferdy
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Spoilers

A prequel novella from Heron's POV, set about 20 years before the events of Partials. The story gives a bit of insight into the war that led to the Partials being created, how the Partials were created and used, what their relationship with humans were like and the beginnings of the Partials revolting against their creators.
The few parts I enjoyed were the background information given on the war, the psyche of the Partials and the different roles the Partials played. Unfortuantely I
Kim
Jan 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
So I read this before I started Partials. It came out after, and so most readers I am sure read it after. Maybe if I had, I'd have liked it more. I hope it is not indicative of how I will feel about Partials.

This takes place 60 years before the events in Partials. It explains how and why they were made. Heron is a Partial specifically engineered to be an assassin. She was made with the perfect body and to look Chinese since that is who she will infiltrate. She was grown in a tank and is 'born'
Jennifer Marie
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing

If you're a Partials fan and haven't read Isolation, I would absolutely recommend it. The back story provided is amazing--what we learned from Kira that she'd been told about the Partials' creation and the hazy references to The Isolation War pales in comparison to watching an actual Partial narrator experience her birth, training, and finally the war itself.

Heron is a fascinating narrator. From her perspective, the folly of humans in considering the Partial race machines is blatant, even when

Melissa **Just Really Loves Musicals**
Really interesting to see Heron's orgin. Nice to find out more about how the Partials began and the training they went through, as well as the reasons behind the rebellion. I'm glad I read all 3 books in the series before reading this prequel, as I felt it really explained a lot of stuff that was more vague in the other books, but I don't think it would have made much sense if I hadn't read all 3 first. I loved Heron as a character, so I'm happy to see the world through her perspective, although ...more
Wayne
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this series quit a while ago and it was such a great Dyostopian series but it has a lot more than that.

It really looks at where technological innovations, experiments and biological engineering can lead us. That's something I really enjoyed about this series and that theme is explored here.

It looks at the beginning and training of one of the created soldiers (called Partials ) and how she became the soldier we meet later on on the series.

I liked this character and it was interesting to
Michelle
Dec 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Isolation wasn't what I expected, I went into this expecting a different war, but I did enjoy getting to see Heron in another role, both as an undercover agent, but also her 'birth' and learning journey.

Isolation lets us she another side to her, and gives some background information into why Heron acts like she does, being more human than other partials. I think if I had read this before I started this series, I may have liked Heron more than I did. This isn't really an essential read for the
Valentina
Finally I can read Heron's story, how she became so close to humans, why she is damaged inside, and how she is strong enough to keep going. She was a hero, and incredible female character, and Im crying whule writing this because i can't believe Partials is over. You did an incredible job Dan Wells, thank you for bringing such beautiful characters to life, thank you for creating Kira, Samm, Marcus, Heron, and many more characters that made my gray days a thousand times better.

Kira Walker, you'll
Pam
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Even though it is technically a prequel, I read this story after I finished the Partials Sequence (needed more Partials in my life!). I feel that I enjoyed this more due to that fact. Heron was already a well established and mysterious character in my mind, and this story was well written. It showed me exactly why she was the way she was in the Partials novels. It was comforting!
I wouldn't recommend reading this first... I don't think it would have the same effect.
Great story though!!
 LEAH⇢
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Interesting and informative novella...

If you like The Partials Sequence then you should read this. It was way cool to learn a little of the back story. This is about The Isolation War. The war that started it all or ended it, whichever you prefer. This is told from Partial Mei's pov. There is alternating chapters between the war and Mei's inception, plus training.
Sanela
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love Dan's writing. It's so refreshing to read so cleverly and intelligently written books. I hope we get some more dystopia from him because he does justice to the genre unlike many of the other writers that just use it to write yet another teen romance novel.
Leah
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved that novella ! I loved being in the middle of the war with actual combat and I loved seing Heron's training !

Full review : http://read-me-deeply.blogspot.fr/201...
Brenda
Mar 17, 2015 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed reading this story.
Getting to understand Heron and knowing the events that made her the person she is is really interesting.
I read Isolation after having finished Ruins and I recommend to do it that way. But I guess you can read it after Fragments too.
*Suzy (ereaderuser)*
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2013
I loved this peek into how the Isolation War began and how the Partials were developed. Super short story!
Jessica
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
pretty awesome little novella :) just wish it was longer! had some great ties to "I, Robot" but that might be an artifact of me listening to that audiobook right now too.
Sicina
The beginning of the end. Quite interesting and thrilling.
Christine Bishop
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great addition to the Partials Series!

Isolation is a short story about the Isolation War the Partials fought in. It is about Heron and alternates between the war and her birth and training. It's a wonderful look at what the Partials experienced from the time they were born.
Kevin
Not having read any of the Partials series, I wanted to read this one first just to see if I might like the others in the series. I must say that my interest is peaked. This may be a better series than The 5th Wave or something similar. Definitely worth checking out I think.

• Roar and Liv (Under the Never Sky, #0.5)
  • Annabel (Delirium, #0.5)
  • Con los ojos del alma
  • Tu música en mi silencio
  • Fair Extension
  • Big Driver
  • Ladrones de libertad (Marabilia #3)
  • Detestable Error
  • Tempest (Tempest, #1)
  • Foundation (Razorland, #0.5)
  • Free Four: Tobias Tells the Divergent Knife-Throwing Scene (Divergent, #1.5)
  • As They Slip Away (Across the Universe, #2.5)
  • Ashfall (Ashfall, #1)
  • The Fallen Legacies (Lorien Legacies: The Lost Files, #3)
  • Life Before Legend (Legend, #0.5)
  • The Maze Runner Files (Maze Runner)
  • El Hombre que Pregunta (Heredia Detective, #8)
  • Dragonbane  (Dark-Hunter #24; Lords of Avalon, #4; Were-Hunter, #9, Hellchaser, #6)
Dan Wells is a thriller and science fiction writer. Born in Utah, he spent his early years reading and writing. He is he author of the Partials series (Partials, Isolation, Fragments, and Ruins), the John Cleaver series (I Am Not a Serial Killer, Mr. Monster, and I Don't Want To Kill You), and a few others (The Hollow City, A Night of Blacker Darkness, etc). He was a Campbell nomine for best new ...more

Partials Sequence (3 books)
  • Partials (Partials Sequence, #1)
  • Fragments (Partials Sequence, #2)
  • Ruins (Partials Sequence, #3)
“An unborn child in its mother's womb feels warmth and motion, sees light and dark through the thick red filter of its mother's own body. Its brain begins to process these sensations before it even finishes developing, an insatiable learning machine that is already defining the world months before it understands, on any conscious level, that the world exists.” 0 likes
“They were a proud people, cheerful in the face of hardship, strong in the depths of captivity, and ruthless in their pursuit of freedom.” 0 likes