Start by marking “Tú no vas a ser mi amor” as Want to Read:
Tú no vas a ser mi amor

Tú no vas a ser mi amor

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  3,792 Ratings  ·  306 Reviews
Cuando Lucy conoce a Nate en Venecia sabe al instante que él es su verdadero amor. Cuando se besan al atardecer en una góndola bajo el Puente de los suspiros parecen sellar -de acuerdo a la leyenda- el romance para siempre. Pero la vuelta a sus países de origen y la distancia hacen que todo se enfríe y Nathaniel, desde Norteamérica, deje a Lucy por teléfono anunciándole qu ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 519 pages
Published February 8th 2012 by Punto de lectura (first published 2010)

Norah Una Sumner

This is probably my least favourite book by my queen Alex Potter but it was still fun nevertheless! I love Potter's magical realism and humor. The story was definitely interesting and funny, but the characters were a bit too manic and clumsy for my taste. Alexandra's more recent books are much better when it comes to this element. Yes, the story is predictable but I enjoyed reading it. I loved the supporting characters and their unique lives as well. Overall, a fun quick read for relaxi
Inge

Do you know the legend of the Bridge of Sighs?
They have a legend in Venice. Kiss your true love underneath the Bridge of Sighs, at sunset, with the church bells ringing, and you will be together forever. Nothing will ever be able to keep you apart. How does that sound?

To 18-year-old Lucy, that sounds like music to her ears. She’s madly in love with Nathaniel, and he with her. So they decide to do it. They kiss under the bridge, and decide to be together forever.

10 years later, Nathaniel
Goddess Of Blah
Nov 01, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DUMB. DUMB. DUMB. SO DUMB IT HURTS.
description
Ultra chick lit, utterly predictable, clichéd, far-fetched and pathetic with zero dimensional characters.

description

I had to read this book due to a review week exercise. I loathed it.

Lucy is an airhead. I don't mind reading a book with a bimbo for a heroine if they have interesting idiosyncrasies or are funny or have that special something which makes them unique.
description

But Lucy is incredibly clichéd and boring. She's a struggling artist who doesn't understand what "mergers
Vanessa Wester
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am the kind of reader that has moods... I read anything and everything, but I definitely read different types of books depending on what I "need" to read (if that makes sense). Well, at the moment I need to read chick lit... And this one was superb!

Ever since I watched the movie "Only you" years ago I have loved all the fate or destiny stuff... "When Harry Met Sally" being another classic... And "Sleepless in Seattle" another great.

This story was all those combined... The power of fate, with a
Fani *loves angst*
Sweet, humorous, easy to read but got a little boring at some point before it picked up again. I enjoyed reading it, but did not love it.
EeeJay
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some funny bits don't make up for the predictable plot. What I'd like to know is how these characters always manage to snag TWO guys at the same time when it's hard enough to grab one????
Beverly C.
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who love realistic romance novels that are also funny.
First things first, this book may contain spoilers oh and...

haters to the left

I gave this book 4/5 stars because I was wondering whether or not I should give it 5 stars, but then after having a war with myself, I decided to stick with 4 stars. Fair enough right?
I just want to start my review with, well, a few quotes that I love from this book :

If only men were like New York taxi-cabs and had a light that they can switch on when they're interested and off when they're not available. Then you'd know exactly where
Cassandra
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amüsanter Roman um einen Liebeszauber.
Eatonlm
Dec 17, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This sounded like a great concept. At times it was even cute. In execution it requires a complete re-write. The main character, Lucy's feelings are portrayed to us redundantly. I wouldn't be surprised if the exact wording was verbatim to the first time we were introduced to her feelings or her messy habits, or one of the other million things that made her completely unlikable. Who would want to be stuck with this girl forever? I'd be doing my best to get rid of her too.

The ending was predictabl
Shxrxn
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
See, we can never be apart now. Wherever you go, I go.
- Nathaniel
'If you want to be together, you can always be together.'
- Nathaniel
I'd say the chances of marrying him are less than zero. But that's OK. I'm perfectly fine with it. That's just the way things are, and that's cool.
- Lucy
OK, I confess. I Googled him once. Maybe twice. Oh, all right, so I've lost count over the years. But so what? Who hasn't gone home and Googled a man they're in love with? Hang on - did I just say the L word?
- Lucy
Limau Nipis
Refreshing indeed. The heroine, Lucy is independent - even though she has some issues about finding her 'The One' back. And she is so lovable (compared to some other chick lit authors who made their heroine a shopaholic and seems never grows up!). Lucy is Lucy, with her quirky characters and had a wonderful housemate in the name of Robyn.

And Kate, her sister is not a bitch. I like the sister relationship. Kate is workaholic but has a wonderful husband, who is totally brother in law material to L
Amanda
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is the definition of "eh." It's not terrible, but there is nothing particularly redeeming about it. I kept reading because of a potentially interesting plot - a couple bind themselves together for eternity, according to legend, and then discover they don't so much want to be together. But the characters are stereotyped stock - a clumsy, ditzy, gave-up-on-her-dreams narrator (I'm deliberately not saying "heroine"); a New Age roommate; a high-achieving, workaholic sister. Characterizatio ...more
Anna
Dec 30, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Every now and then I make myself read a book from outside of my 'reading bubble'. Every now and then I find something surprising and wonderful. This book is not one of these.
A romantic comedy with a touch of magic? I was half sold, considering that it was a no risk library book. Hey, some reviewers even called it magic realism! (baby you have no idea what that is. But I digress). A romantic love guaranteed to last for life thanks to a magical spell in Venice. So the young lovers drift apart... m
Mikha ϟ
The plot reminds me a lot of the movie, When in Rome(2010) which really isnt a good movie but it was really funny and i laughed out loud a lot so that makes up for it.

Anyway, both the plot from this book and that movie takes place in Italy, In Venice and in Rome(obviously). It portrays the different beliefs and legends of the italians about love and destiny. :) I dont know if it actually works from real life. :)That would be spooky.
Faith
This was such a cliched rom-com. I wanted to finish it before I returned it to the library. Lucy, the proagonist, fulfills all the cliches of this genre and manages to be flat and immature in the process. If you're looking for a contemporary romance to read, there are better ones out there.
Leah
May 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Lucy meets Nate in Venice aged 18, she believes that he’s The One and that they’re destined to be together forever. When Lucy and Nate learn of the Bridge of the Sighs and the legend behind it – that everyone who kisses underneath the bridge, at sunset, are destined to be together forever – they go ahead and do as the legend says. Ten years later, Lucy has moved to New York and she and Nate have lost contact until the Legend brings them back together again. Lucy thinks they’re fated to be t ...more
Sarah Dane
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a nice story, it makes you wonder and reflect after reading. However, I can't imagine the characters since they're not described in details.

Catching lines

“That life can change in the blink of any eye. All you have is right now. So don’t ever put off telling someone how you feel about them, don’t assume that they know, because they might not and it might be too late.”

“The only people who never tumble are those who never mount the high wire.”

“And yet you can spend a lifetime with someone and
Mar 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hate, march-2017
Blago rečeno užas. Ja sam otvorena za te malo laganije knjige kada hoću da se opustim ali da li se neko šalio samnom ova knjiga nema nikakv smisao, nema poentu nema čak ni opuštajućih komičnih scena. Bukvalno sam pola preskočila i pročitala kraj. Razočarenje.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a disaster. Like for real, where is the point, i know i know "be careful what you whish for" and all tha jazz. But it's just not good. It's poorly written
Melody
Jul 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When 18-year-old British girl Lucy Hemmingway met American boy Nathaniel Kennedy when they were in Venice, Italy, it was as if they were being hit by Cupid's arrow. Perhaps they are young, or perhaps they got carried away by the romantic atmosphere that they kissed under the Bridge of Sighs at sunset with the church bells ringing. And according to the legend, any couple who did that will be tied to each other for eternity.

However ten years later, they had went on separate ways and Lucy is now w
Carina Gironella
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is not like any other books I’ve read. It’s about a lady (Lucy Hemmingway) who believed in soulmates, destiny, kismet, fate, all those stuff about love. At first read, you might think it’s just a typical love story and will have a predicable ending then another thought hits you that maybe it’s not…

While other books focused on finding the ONE, Lucy Hemmingway, the protagonist, only wanted to get rid of him. Lucy and Nate met at Venice during summer in their teen-years. The usual couple
Tina Bahat
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
"A ipak možete provesti čitav životni vijek s nekim i još uvijek mu biti stranac, ali isto tako možete nakratko sresti nekoga tko vas vidi u dušu. Može li se ljubav mjeriti vremenom? Bilo čime? Ili je to nešto neobjašnivo što nema razumnog, znanstvenog objašnjenja? Nešto što se jednostavno dogodi. Poput čarolije."
Kat
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una chica de Inglaterra. Un chico de Estados Unidos. Se conocen en Venecia, se enamoran, viven una hermosa y apasionada historia de amor, y entonces escuchan de una leyenda, la del Puente de los Suspiros, si se besan bajo ese puente estarán juntos por toda la eternidad. Para siempre. Pero entonces llega el final del verano y los dos deben volver a sus hogares, un año pasa en el cual su relación se mantiene mediante cartas y llamadas, hasta que un día él llama y le dice que rompen y que se va a c ...more
Kelly
Jun 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So... I started this book with a frown. This normally isn't my kind of read, but I do love sappy love stories. So when my friend got it for me, I was happy nevertheless. I, indeed, expected one of those sappy love stories that make you swoon, but I was fairly disappointed.

Lucy and Nathaniel met in Venice at the age of 18 and 20. Madly in love with each other they kissed under the Bridge of Sighs. Only after they got seperated (since Lucy lived in England and Nate in America) Nathan got married t
Mad Katniss
I hate Lucy when she's with Nate. But I love her when she's with Adam.

The thing is, in the part where she realized that she does not love Nate anymore is that part where she started a new love with Adam. They clicked when they are together. She is happy and acts like her real self when she is with him. From this part on, it's like watching a chick flick movie. The feel good one that would make you smile and would make you think that, hey true love can be possible and though it is hardwork, true
Daisy
Aug 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I really liked the concept of this book: what if you can't get away from someone who's obviously not the one after all? And Lucy is a really likeable main character, which is so important. I thought Nate was awful and underwent a complete transformation from the time he spent in Venice with Lucy to when se sees him again in New York, it's hard to believe they were the same person.
I thoughts some parts were a bit predictable, but nevertheless, this was an enjoyable read.
Marblezzie
The prologue of the story was quite catching. I got really excited in the beginning it was obviously a budding romance between two teenagers who were destined to be together for a lifetime. But as I read into the story, I did find it for the most part really tedious.

Although it made an about-face at the end when it was too funny to put down because of the constant bickering between Lucy and Nate.

Ivy
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A friend of mine borrowed this book to me saying it was awesome and that she loved it a lot and so I decided to give it a go and wow do I love it! This is the first novel I read by Alexandra Potter. Definitely not the last. Bought my own copies of Be careful what you wish for and do you come here often? Amazing author.
Dhini
I liked it.But I could not say that I loved it..And it is not that funny so I could say that it is a romantic comedy..there is a little humor, a little sarcasm, affection and love story although I did not get the chemistry.But I loved the characters..I loved the way Alexandra Potter descibed it.It is plainly written.Alexandra Potter is a great writer but maybe not the best storyteller.
Janeen
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Su
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm happy with this book. It was hilarious and by reading the prologue, I thought of the ending quite differently. There were the moments I had to laugh out loud while reading. I would recommend this to a friend who wants a good laugh and enjoys chick-lits like I do.
sis2019: Evelyn Chua: Informal Book Review 1 (Semester 2) 1 3 Jun 05, 2016 11:51PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: You're (Not) the One 1 4 Jul 23, 2013 11:05AM
  • Katy Carter Wants a Hero (Katy Carter, #1)
  • Getting Over Mr Right
  • I Remember You
  • Please Forgive Me
  • Society Girls
  • Things I Wish I'd Known
  • 50 Ways To Find A Lover (Sarah Sargeant, #1)
  • Faking It
  • Living la Vida Loca
  • Heaven Can Wait
  • The Journey
  • The Dating Detox
  • Arranged Love
  • Wrapped Up in You
Alexandra Potter is the best-selling author of ELEVEN novels that can be described as romantic comedies with a magical twist. Born in England, she has lived in London, Sydney, Australia and New York and LA, and can currently be found clocking up too many air miles travelling the globe researching ideas for her new book...
instagram: alexpotterbooks
More about Alexandra Potter...
“Forget men, I want to marry my MacBook. It’s dependable, reliable and you can even go shopping with it.” 196 likes
“Everyone dreams of finding their soulmate. It's a universal quest. All over the world millions of people are looking for their true love, their amore thier ame soeur, that one special person with whom they will spend the rest of their life.

And I'm no different.

Except it doesn't happen for everyone. Some people spend their whole life looking and never find that person. It's the luck of the draw.

If, by some miracle, you're lucky enough to meet the ONE, whatever you do, don't let them go. Because you don't get another shot at it. Soulmates aren't like buses there's not going to be another one along in a minute. That's why they're called, "THE ONE".”
134 likes